The Imperial Court, Culture and Art

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Belongings Of The Holy Family...

Attachments

• eaglecell.gif
    eaglecell.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,141
  • __tn___948___921___913___932___913___915___924___913____932_.jpg
    __tn___948___921___913___932___913___915___924___913____932_.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,340
  • russian_eagle_coin.jpg
    russian_eagle_coin.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • THE_NEW_MARTYRS.jpg
    THE_NEW_MARTYRS.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 3_651.jpg
    3_651.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 3_661.jpg
    3_661.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,272
Last edited by a moderator:
Two Tsarinas

Dowager Empress Maria-Feodorovna (Princess Dagmar of Denmark)

The ill-fated Tsarina Alexandra (Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine)

Attachments

• Russia Dowager Empress Marie-Feodorovna.jpg
    Russia Dowager Empress Marie-Feodorovna.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,368
  • Russia Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna.jpg
    Russia Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,729
Wonderful photos morgaine & Warren. Thanks for sharing them.

rchainho said:
http://context.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/08/12/106.html

The Terrible Tsar

Isabel de Madariaga probes the mind of a ruler whose legendary reputation for tyranny and sadism has left his personal life a mystery to this day.

By Charles J. Halperin
Published: August 12, 2005

More than 400 years after his death, Tsar Ivan IV, also known as Ivan the Terrible, continues to fascinate historians. Infamous for his cruelty, sexual misconduct and, possibly, madness, he has remained a mystery due to the lack of credible source materials about his personal life. The latest to explore Ivan's complex legacy is Isabel de Madariaga, professor emeritus of Russian studies at the University of London. Her "Ivan the Terrible" is an impressive achievement in both its energetic narrative thrust and its stated mission "to understand and explain Ivan the man and the ruler," whose reign had such a "devastating impact" on Russia.

Thanks Rchaino!! The only information I have on Ivan the Terrible is from an A & E Documentary about the Czars of Russia and my David Randall book: Royal Misbehaviour: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens.

I spoke about Ivan on the "Most Insane Royal in History" thread I started. The information I have from my sole 2 sources is that Ivan was a victim of war between his family and the boyars who murdered his family while he was a child. It was even suggested that he saw them brutally murdered. When he became Czar, he began using his power to avenge the deaths and humiliations of his family. He supposedly had a tranquil time during his marriage to his first and beloved wife Anastasia. When Anastasia died, Ivan supposedly "went crazy again" and murdered many, including his son and heir. It has been said after he murdered his son, he was a broken man in spirit and became calm again and died brokenhearted over his actions at the age of 53.

I actually saw the exhibit in April in Cicinnati and it was fantastic. They had a very impressive gallery and history of the dynasty and the local connections of the Romanov family who lived in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

Linda 85:)

In the meantime before I can find the photos requested, I will post these ones.
I hope you'll forgive me for getting a little off topic, but I started the thread, and I can expand it to include things if I want to (I hope!):)

These are pictures of traditional Russian Imperial Court dress in the 18th century.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/alex-fed.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/alix4.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/rimsky-rorsakov.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/dress7.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/dress6.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/dress2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/dress1.jpg

Last edited:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Layla1971/elenaglinsk.jpg

Elena Galinskaya, the mother of Ivan the Terrible.

Ivan's mother assumed power and was regent for five years. She had Ivan's other uncle killed, but a short time afterwards she suddenly died, almost surely poisoned. A week later her confidant, Prince Ivan Obolensky, was arrested and beaten to death by his jailers. While his mother had been indifferent toward Ivan, Obolensky's sister, Agrafena, had been his beloved nurse. Now she was jailed in a convent.

Imperial and Grand Ducal Robes Of State and Court Dress

Does anyone have any information regarding the robes/mantles worn by the Imperial Family of Russia?
Here are a couple of pictures I found on the Webshots community on royal ladies...
I know that the Granduchesses wore these purple velvet robes trimmed and lined with ermines for their weddings along with the bridal tiara and crown and earrings that were traditional within the family.
I also know that for the wedding of the last reigning Tsar, because his bride would rank as Tsarina at the time of their marriage (and wearing the purple grand-ducal robes would be below her) a similar mantle, but of gold cloth, was made.
My question are the following:
-about the lenght of these robes (I imagine that the Tsarina's was made longer) but what was their exact lenght?
-are they still in existance? (I know the bridal jewels are.)
-were this same robes worn at coronations? I know the Tsarina's wasn't, for in her wedding, her robe was simply of cloth of gold, and in her coronation her mantle was embroidered all over with double-headed eagles.
-was there any prescribed lenght for the Russian Court Dress (on the trains, I mean)

Last edited:
Here are a couple of examples of those Grand-Duchess-Brides in their purple bridal mantles:

The above pictures are from the Webshots.com comunity. The b&w photographs are over 70 years old, copyright has expired.

And here is the mantle especially made for the Tsarina-bride (plain gold) vs. her coronation gown embroidered all over.

Also, I wonder if the brides of the Imperial House of Romanov still wear (if not the heavy robes) the bridal crown and tiara etc. for their weddings.... I know those are probably in a museum (I think the crown was here in America owned by a rich heiress at some point) but since it was tradition maybe they were lent back to Their Imperial Highnesses?

A friend just sent me by mail a picture of a painting of a demoiselle d'honneur of the Tsarina, in full red velvet court dress, kokoshnik, veil and cypher. Also, another image of a real-life diamond chiphre/cypher of the late Tsarina Alexandra, I believe, with its respective St. Andrew's-blue ribbon.... I have to scan them - hopefully by the end of the week, so check back :) !

Here they are:
1. An image from the Hermitage museum website, for the sake of completeness and it's the monogram badge of Catherine the Great(?)
2. Its a 19c. demoiselle d'honneur of the Tsarina Alexandra (?) Her name (and excuse if I transliterate the cyrillic script wrong) is Natalia Obelenskaya-Neledinskaya-Meletskaya. One can see her badge of office on her left shoulder, kokoshnik, veil and red court dress of office also.
3. The monogram of Tsarina Maria...not Alexandra as I posted above.
The last 2 pictures have been cropped to focuss on the subject at hand.

1. 2. 3.

SaxeundGotha said:
Also, I wonder if the brides of the Imperial House of Romanov still wear (if not the heavy robes) the bridal crown and tiara etc. for their weddings.... I know those are probably in a museum (I think the crown was here in America owned by a rich heiress at some point) but since it was tradition maybe they were lent back to Their Imperial Highnesses?

i don't know if this has been addressed yet, so just in case.....

the little crown traditionally worn by Romanov brides, was purchased after the revolution (sometime during the 1920s) by the American socialite, Marjorie Merriweather Post, heiress to the Postum Cereal fortune (she posessed a keen business sense that she would use to turn the Post Cereal company into the General Foods Corporation that we know today). the Romanov bridal crown can be seen today at Hillwood Museum, her Washington D.C. mansion.

imperial-nupt-crown.jpg

in the early 1920s, her then husband, Joseph E. Davies, was the U.S. ambassador to the Soviet Union. the fledgling government was in need of hard currency (ie: dollars) and (for a time) threw open it's "vault" doors to the diplomatic corps (many of whom returned to their homes in the USA with crates of "merchandise" and, in some cases, they came back with literally TONS of baggage.

besides the crown, she purchased a solid-gold goblet from the era of Catherine the Great that weighs over 1 pound, as well as 2 or 3 Fabergé eggs during her husband's term in Moscow -- actually, her collection of Russian decorative art is exceptional and rather famous.....but the eggs are especially famous.

hillwood.jpg

incidentally, the things bought by the members of the US Diplomatic Corp (the paintings, furniture, jewels, tapestries, et cetera) had once been the property of Imperial Russia's rich & noble; imagine the astonishment (and anger) felt by those Russian exiles who, during the course of some party, discovered their former posessions sitting in the newly acquired collection of their host! (did that make sense? i'm not sure if i stated it correctly....)

just as a point of reference: one of her husbands was E.F. Hutton (of brokerage house fame); one of her daughters is the actress Dina Merrill; and it was she who built the Palm Beach mansion, Mar-A-Lago, which was eventually bought by Donald Trump.

Last edited:
Alexandra was so beautiful. Her face however was always older than it should have been, do to constant worry over her youngest child, who at any moment could bleed to death.

I just read an excellent book on Russian history that I recommend highly to anyone who wants to learn a non-western persecutive on Catherine and Paul etc... It's called "The Third Rome: Holy Russia, Tsarism and Orthodoxy" by Matthew Raphael Johnson . There are many misguided myths about Russia that continue to this day, including those about Catherine and Paul. Everyone should read this book to learn the truth.

Last edited:
Russian Princely Families: House Strogannoff and House Gagarin

http://www.stroganoff.org/

One of it's members was profiled recently in (the weekly magazine) Point de Vue. Maybe about a month ago. She spoke about her family in exile and her return to Russia to create a foundation to restore the incredible Stroganoff Palace in Saint Petersburg. I don't know if anyone here has access to that article but the Strogannoff lady had quite a life that involved celebrities in the 1950's.

The Princes Gagarin site

Russian Kings

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and searching for a Russian King Rogatschewskij. Has anyone ever heard of him or can lead me in the right direction? Thank you for any help.

Bob

Princess Olga Romanoff (as spelt on the t.v. screen) and her son, Fran Mathew, was on Australian Princess (the episode that just aired tonight in Australia, Channel 10). They were guests to a dinner party hosted by Paul Burrell and Jean Broke-Smith.
Princess Olga introduced herself as "the great-great grandaughter of Tsar Alexander III" and "great grand niece of Tsar Nicholas II".
On the show the four (remaining) contestants had to make a speech. As Olga asked each one to come up and make their speech (at the dinner party) her son (reflected in private, in the diary room) said that the speech made by Leanne was, quote..."absolute crap".
Other guests included:
James Whitaker (Royal correspondent for the UK Daily Mirror).
Prince Michael (Head [or soon to be head] of an important Polish noble family).
James Benton Jones (Jamie is the eldest son of Sir Simon and Lady Benton Jones and will one day inherit the title of Baronet and the majestic estate of Irnham Hall).
Edward Saxby (Knows all about aristocracy having grown up on estates in Scotland and France. He resides in London and is a member of the exclusive Chelsea “party set”. I think he was the beau whose mother was born in France).

Last edited:
Romanov ?

Hi.

I came across an old photo postcard. Looks like it could be one of the Romanovs, any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 508
This link is about the book plates used by the Romanovs for their books, but it also has other historical bookplate drawings for several other dynasties.
Enjoy House of Romanov

And now I really got to leave, it's 12:50 AM and we have a giant snowstorm right outside that I'm debating to go out and photograph! :rolleyes:
Most of our state will be paralized in the morning due to snow and ice so everybody in my office plans to stay home. :ermm:

limbo9 said:
Hi.

I came across an old photo postcard. Looks like it could be one of the Romanovs, any ideas?

Thank you!

No, I dont think it's one of the Romanovs, but maybe a Russian noble.

Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmrk) Monogram ??

Hi Forum

I recently acquired this perfume bottle and after researching a little on the internet I found out it could have belonged Maria Feodorovna. The condition is as shown.

After finding other pieces which were known to have been bought by Maria Feodorovna from 12 rue de la paix during exhaustive research on the internet (silver picture frames) I'm quite convinced that it is her monogram. The hallmarks date the piece to 1882, just one year before she was crowned Empress Consort of Russia in 1883.

The house where the piece came from was in St. Gallen Switzerland. One 'expert' told me that it was impossible it belonged to her because of the type of crown. I noticed, however, that the same monogram appears on a handbag reputedly owned by Maria Feodorovna which was sold at auction.

I would appreciate any help or comments or leads which could support one way or another.

Thanks and best regards

c.

silver_perfume_MF_01.jpg

Attachments

• silver_perfume_MF_01.jpg
    silver_perfume_MF_01.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 452
  • silver_perfume_MF_02.jpg
    silver_perfume_MF_02.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 380
  • silver_perfume_MF_03.jpg
    silver_perfume_MF_03.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 345
  • silver_perfume_MF_05.jpg
    silver_perfume_MF_05.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 386
It's a lovely piece, but my observation is that the 'crown' is actually in the style of a coronet rather than the Russian Imperial Crown.

Back
Top Bottom