The Children of Tsar Nicholas II ("OTMAA")

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure about grandmama Minnie giving Anastasia a doll or what it looked like but here is a pic of marie and Anastasia with some dolls

Those may be from the visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. I believe he gave the two younger grand duchesses dolls. I may be wrong though, so feel free to correct at any time.

:imperialrussia:

Today,july 17th,we remember it is 94 years to the day the children and their parents were slaughtered at Jekaterinenburg.

:russiatsarevitch:

Olga -the boring,intellectual artistic one
Tatiana- the governess
Marie- the middle child with "blue saucers" for eyes
Anastasia- the youngest, the troublemaker and silly duchess
Aleksey- the heir, the sunbeam, hemophiliac but with strength in his spirit

Out of all I like Olga and Anastasia but mostly Olga because she and I are similar in character, and also because I am the eldest of 5 children, the eldest daughter.

Picture thread of OTMA

The place to post and discuss the elegant and beautiful pictures of grand duchesses Olga(1895-1918), Tatiana(1897-1918),Marie(1899-1918), and Anastasia (1901-1918)nikolaievna Romanov of Russia .

Here are some that I like;

Taken for the occasion of Aleksei's Christeninghttp://theromanovfamilysite.webs.com/otma%201904.jpg

I believe this one was from the famous 1906 photo session (sorry for the tiny size)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Otma1906.jpg/220px-Otma1906.jpg

On the Standardt perhapshttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/OTMA1908.jpg

There are a great deal of pictures on the website of the Yale's library. I remember getting a great deal of pictures from there several years back. Also, alexanderpalace.org is a great source.

Does anyone know of any books of movies on OTMA? Because I defentately know there are plenty on Anastasia but what about Olga ,tatiana or Maria?
I know there is "the tsarina's daughter" by carolly erickson but are there others?

Does anyone know of any books of movies on OTMA? Because I defentately know there are plenty on Anastasia but what about Olga ,tatiana or Maria?
I know there is "the tsarina's daughter" by carolly erickson but are there others?

There's Olga's diary from 1913, but other than that I don't know any. Well maybe just except from Margaret Eager's Six Years at the Russian Court which features a bit about all of the girls. The Tsarina's Daughter is absolutely horrid, I can't believe I actually spent time reading that piece of s***. There really should be made more books about OTM.

Thx. I myself wish to write stories on them and have written one on the family and another on just Olga and Tatiana (it was a creative writing assignment and most loved it;))

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also try memoirs by the children's tutors; Pierre Gilliard and Sydney Gibbes (I apologize for spelling errors, since I don't have the books in front of me at the moment). The one by Gilliard is called 'Thirteen Years at the Russian Court'.

The problem with books about the royal children is the lack of material -- the children died so young and led such cloistered lives that it would be very difficult to write anything about them. I wonder if Olga's diary is written with enough rich detail to make it meaningful -- I mean, I cannot imagine it would be like the diary of Anne Frank.

There's Olga's diary from 1913, but other than that I don't know any. Well maybe just except from Margaret Eager's Six Years at the Russian Court which features a bit about all of the girls. The Tsarina's Daughter is absolutely horrid, I can't believe I actually spent time reading that piece of s***. There really should be made more books about OTM.

Is that the fiction book about Tatiana and her sneaking out of the palace? I think I recall hearing about it.
As for books about OTMAA you might want to try going to the Romanov's message board; they would probably have more info on finding books and info on the kids.

Is that the fiction book about Tatiana and her sneaking out of the palace? I think I recall hearing about it.

Yup, that's the one.
It really is depicting Tatiana as a trashy young woman with no morals, not worth reading unless you need a good laugh.

Was Anastasia the only one with a physical foot deformity?

"The Tsarina's Daughter" was lousy. I know historical novelists like to take liberty on the factual truth, but Carolly Erickson took way too much liberty. On Amazon, I think she got only 2.5 out 5 stars.

iWell, Anna Anderson also had a foot deformity of the exact same kind like Anastasia, giving her another reason for people to think she was Anastasia. As far as that book, 'TTD', I looked it up on Amazon, and it still is rated with 2.5 stars. A new hardcover copy is worth $1.29, and a used copy is worth $0.01.

I have ot say, the daughters were raised in the most isolated circumstances possible. Cultlike really; I am surprised that Nicholas let it happen, that he didn't think to arrange at least a marriage for Olga. I wonder, if any of the daughters had survived, if they might have been pressured to marry right away. I must say that Grand Duchess Vladimir was put out that her son's suit (Boris specifically) was so rejected. If Marie or Tatiana had survived, then they would have been head of the House of Romanov and there owuld surely have been a lot of royals and nobles grubbing after them.

Just a thought, but might this have been in some way related to Alexandra's loneliness as a child. Could it be, that in her lofty isolation she needed to keep her girls around her as company for her AND company for each other. She would have seen nothing wrong in her actions, indeed, she had been given permission by by Grandmama who was determined to have at least one of her children remain at her side, irelevent of the cost to the child.

I have ot say, the daughters were raised in the most isolated circumstances possible. Cultlike really; I am surprised that Nicholas let it happen, that he didn't think to arrange at least a marriage for Olga. I wonder, if any of the daughters had survived, if they might have been pressured to marry right away. I must say that Grand Duchess Vladimir was put out that her son's suit (Boris specifically) was so rejected. If Marie or Tatiana had survived, then they would have been head of the House of Romanov and there owuld surely have been a lot of royals and nobles grubbing after them.

Actually, if any of the girls survived, they would NOT be the Heads of the House of Romanov.
Because of Pauline Laws, the succession would still be male-only, excluding all females; thus, Cyril Vladimirovich would still become the Head of the House as soon as it was determined that all other more senior male dynasts (Nicholas II, Grand Duke Michael and Prince Alexei) were dead.

One of Nicholas's daughters could only become Head of the House only if there were no male dynasts left.
For example, if Olga survived and entered into an equal marriage (with a fellow royal), and assuming she were alive now, she would indeed be the Head of the House since her claims to be a dynast would be undisputed, whereas Maria Vladimirovna's are.

Right, the house is only by male inheritance so if they had survived wouldn't it be the children of czarivich aleksey or grand duke mikhail to be the main ones as heads?

Right, the house is only by male inheritance so if they had survived wouldn't it be the children of czarivich aleksey or grand duke mikhail to be the main ones as heads?

If Alexei and Grand Duke Mikhail survived, they would be next in the Line of Succession.
Their children would only be heirs if they entered equal marriages, that is to say, married representatives of reigning royal families. If they entered unequal (morganatic) marriages, their children would have no succession rights.

Pauline Law doesn't completely exclude female succession; males through female line or females in their own right can inherit the Throne if there are no male dynasts. So, theoretically, if Alexei and Mikhail entered morganatic marriage, but Grand Duchess Olga married a fellow royal, she would in time, after Alexei and Mikhail's deaths, become the Head of the House because all other male dynasts conducted unequal marriages. If, however, Alexei, married a royal and sired a son, that son would be undisputed Heir.

Back
Top Bottom