Russian Palaces

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a wonderful thread. I didn't even know it existed. :eek: Thanks to everyone for the photos and information. I just love Russian architecture and these castles are no exception. Very beautiful.

Someone asked about Zolotoye Koltso.
Zolotoye Koltso is translated into English as "Golden Ring".
Golden Ring includes several russian towns. You can find their list here:
www.megakm.ru/goldenring
(chose "English" on the right top)

Danielle said:
What a wonderful thread. I didn't even know it existed. :eek: Thanks to everyone for the photos and information. I just love Russian architecture and these castles are no exception. Very beautiful.

Russia is a very fascinating country and so are these castles! Very elegant and stylish.:eek:

drimal said:
Russia is a very fascinating country and so are these castles! Very elegant and stylish.:eek:

Russian history is my specialty and my passion. I have just discovered this wonderful area of the Royal Forums. I guess I was too engrossed in the Grimaldi and Windsor dramas to notice before. Thanks to ?Mandy? for posting the pics of Tsarskoe and Peterhof. Those are my favorite Russian palaces, especially Peterhof, isn't it fabulous?

CasiraghiTrio said:
Russian history is my specialty and my passion. I have just discovered this wonderful area of the Royal Forums. I guess I was too engrossed in the Grimaldi and Windsor dramas to notice before. Thanks to ?Mandy? for posting the pics of Tsarskoe and Peterhof. Those are my favorite Russian palaces, especially Peterhof, isn't it fabulous?
Yes, surprising what one can find in the darker corners of the Forums! As to Peterhof, even more amazing to remember that the Germans blew it up before retreating (why??), and what we see today is a reconstruction/restoration. Like a phoenix from the ashes...

remember being shown by an arthistorian an old book with pictures of rooms in a palace of catherine the great, the furniture in the rooms were hilarious and unbelievable. She could not have invited woman in those rooms, only her lovers. All the furniture was made by french craftsmen who also made more ordinary furniture.
Thought it was blown up by the communists because it was too decadent and I cannot remember the name of the palace, have always wondered how it survived so long. Imagine Nicholas whispering to Alexandra about the interior decoration of the rooms.

Warren said:
Yes, surprising what one can find in the darker corners of the Forums! As to Peterhof, even more amazing to remember that the Germans blew it up before retreating (why??), and what we see today is a reconstruction/restoration. Like a phoenix from the ashes...

susan alicia said:
remember being shown by an arthistorian an old book with pictures of rooms in a palace of catherine the great, the furniture in the rooms were hilarious and unbelievable. She could not have invited woman in those rooms, only her lovers. All the furniture was made by french craftsmen who also made more ordinary furniture.
Thought it was blown up by the communists because it was too decadent and I cannot remember the name of the palace, have always wondered how it survived so long. Imagine Nicholas whispering to Alexandra about the interior decoration of the rooms.

It could have been Peterhof, I suppose. I believe Peterhof was Catherine the Great's favorite residence, was it not? It would make sense anyway. She did not like being far from St. Petersburg and as Peterhof isn't exactly in the city, she had plenty of grounds to "ride" her horses!
:D

susan alicia said:
Hmm... I've always thought that Catherine the Great was not too keen on extravaganza. Actually, she was not amused by the over-ornate Catherine Palace in Tsrskoye Selo and ordered another palace to be built there as her personal residence.

As for the Communists, they certainly did not blow up anything in Peterhof; the Germans, however, destroyed several fountains and set off several explosive charges in the Palace itself before retreating in 1944.

the legs of the tables and chairs were excact replica's of that part of man she loved best

Mapple said:
Hmm... I've always thought that Catherine the Great was not too keen on extravaganza. Actually, she was not amused by the over-ornate Catherine Palace in Tsrskoye Selo and ordered another palace to be built there as her personal residence.

As for the Communists, they certainly did not blow up anything in Peterhof; the Germans, however, destroyed several fountains and set off several explosive charges in the Palace itself before retreating in 1944.

susan alicia said:
the legs of the tables and chairs were excact replica's of that part of man she loved best
Hm... Never heard anything like that, although there exists a great many of the 'Catherine Tales', so to say. :) What palace could it be? The Chinese Palace in Oranienbaum?

would not have believed it unless I had seen the pictures of the rooms with the furniture in it.

Have tried googling it but can not find anything, perhaps it is mentioned in http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0753818345/qid=1135094477/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-8263880-3461453

but I have not read it.

Mapple said:
Hm... Never heard anything like that, although there exists a great many of the 'Catherine Tales', so to say. :) What palace could it be? The Chinese Palace in Oranienbaum?

Attachments

• peterhof-postcard.jpg
    peterhof-postcard.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,021
  • i_puskin1.jpg
    i_puskin1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,089
Last edited:
Well, i have just found some absolutely beautiful pictures of Russian Palaces! So, i thought I would share them with you guys (i mean c'mon why not!):D So here we go:
1. Interior view of the Pavlovsky Castle (Masterfile)
2. Front of the Castle of Pushkin (Masterfile)
3. Throne Room of the Peterhof Palace (Masterfile)
4. Another view of throne room in Peterhof Palace (Masterfile)
5. Room inside the Pavlovsky Castle (Masterfile)

Ok so these next ones are from the State Hermitage Museum but isn't the museum in the Cathrine Palace (or whatever its called). So, anyways, I thought I'd put these here too:

6. State Hermitage Museum (Digital Vision by Getty Images)
7. Hermitage Museum main stairway (Masterfile)
8. Another view of the main stairway at the Hermitage Museum (Masterfile)
9. this last image is Untitled but I think it might be in the Museum as well (thats a big might)! (Masterfile)

Yes, the Pushkin one is the Catherine Palace. Pushkin usually refers to Tsarskoe Selo, which includes the 200 room blue Catherine Palace, the 100 room yellow Alexander Palace, and other buildings.

Ritka said:
Yes, the Pushkin one is the Catherine Palace. Pushkin usually refers to Tsarskoe Selo, which includes the 200 room blue Catherine Palace, the 100 room yellow Alexander Palace, and other buildings.
Ok, then which one is the green one? Sorry, I think I'm getting kinda lost here!:confused:

Tsarskoe Selo is not a palace it is a village.
The name "Tsarskoe Selo" means "Village of the Tsar". There you can find the Catherine Palace and the Alexander Palace, I don't know if there are more.
The name of the village was changed into Pushkin, probably because the Soviets didn't like it.

This may help.
© InfoServices International Inc, NY

RussiaTsarskoeSeloMap.gif

No sorry Warren it ain't helping me! So, if the blue palace is the Catherine Palace and the yellow palace is the Alexander Palace which palace is the Hermitage Museum in? :confused: This one! This one is the one I want to know about:
(Masterfile)

acid_rain3075 said:
No sorry Warren it ain't helping me! So, if the blue palace is the Catherine Palace and the yellow palace is the Alexander Palace which palace is the Hermitage Museum in? :confused: This one! This one is the one I want to know about: (Masterfile)
The Hermitage (aka the Winter Palace) is in St Petersburg. Tsarskoe Selo, according to the map (top RH corner), is 24 kms to the south.
Here's another pic, courtesy Corbis.

The Winter Palace, St Petersburg (home of the Hermitage Museum)

RussiaStPetersburgWinterPalace.jpg

Last edited:
The Hermitage, Winter Palace, has over 1000 rooms in it. Is it the largest of the Romanov palaces?

Ritka said:
The Hermitage, Winter Palace, has over 1000 rooms in it. Is it the largest of the Romanov palaces?

I think its the largest of any Imperial or Royal Palace...Versailles may com close.

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
I think its the largest of any Imperial or Royal Palace...Versailles may com close.

"MII"
Are you serious? Is the Winter Palace bigger then the Palaces of Versailles? :eek:

The Winter Palace has 1057 rooms, I don't know how much Versailles has

Are we sure it's the LARGEST? I thought there was an Austrian palace larger. (Perhaps Schonbrunn? I'm not so good with the Austrian names)

Counting the number of rooms in a palace is one measure of its size, but that figure may include broom cupboards. The square metreage of the floor area (or how many football fields could fit inside) is probably a better way of going about it, but I don't know if such comparisons are available.

Warren said:
Counting the number of rooms in a palace is one measure of its size, but that figure may include broom cupboards. The square metreage of the floor area (or how many football fields could fit inside) is probably a better way of going about it, but I don't know if such comparisons are available.
yeah thats true but is there anything that actually does give the sq. feet of any palace?

Bragging rights go to Spain

Here's an answer!

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040428.html

What is the biggest palace in Europe?

If by "largest" you mean "most square footage," then the trophy goes to Madrid's Royal Palace, which boasts 2800 rooms in 135,000 square meters (or over 1,450,000 square feet).

Back
Top Bottom