Rurik dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CyrilVladisla

Imperial Majesty
City
Conneaut
Country
United States
The Rurik dynasty was begun by the Varangian prince Rurik (830-879). Rurik dynasty monarchs ruled Kievan Rus and later the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Some Rurik monarchs became Tsars of Russia.

Well, the Romanovs are Rurik too - but just on the maternal side. Makes you think: If the Romanovs are Romanovs, are then the Windsors Battenbergs?

Well, the Romanovs are Rurik too - but just on the maternal side. Makes you think: If the Romanovs are Romanovs, are then the Windsors Battenbergs?

The Romanovs are not Rurik. They were relatives only by marriage and were elected after the fall of the Godunov dynasty.

The Romanovs are not Rurik. They were relatives only by marriage and were elected after the fall of the Godunov dynasty.

What means only by marriage: That they had Rurik genes, but just on the maternal side, like I wrote, thank you for supporting my argument...

sorry just learning.

I realize this isn't the correct place but I'm a tad lost. I'm curious why the sisters of the last Czar were treated so differently. One witha grace and favor at Hampton Court and the other an apartment in Ottawa?

Last edited:
@tim 57

You might find something about it here in the forums: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-1882-1960-sisters-of-nicholas-ii-3744-6.html

My personal opinion: Olga married out of love and a cavalry officer who became a mere Count. Perhaps because of this she was not high ranking enough, while her sister was a political asset for the Brits.

Olga's second husband Nikolai Kulikovsky was never made count.

His grandmother was Countess Natalia Gudovich, daughter of a General, Count Kirill Gudovich and Princess Varvara Galitzine...through them Nikolai Kulikovsky also descended from some other great families such as Razumovsky, Lopukhin, Naryshkin, Bariatinsky, Obolensky etc. which means he also has Rurik blood.

Kulikovsky family belonged to the untitled nobility originated from Moldavia and Wallachia who came to Russia as entourage of Prince Dimitri Cantemir at the beginning of the 18th century, but never actually held any title.

Last edited:
Wikipedia...

Hi, @Marc23!

I got this from the german Wikipedia. It is claimed there, that the Emperor, Olga's brother, made Kulikovsky a count at the occasion of the marriage and that Olga lost her title as a Grand Duchess:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Kulikowski

But the article is a stub and obviously is your knowledge about this subject much greater, than this of the german Wikipedia - so I stand corrected. Thank you! This is a lot of information!

Thank you. Just on a personal level it seems odd but then there were so many first cousins.

I realize this isn't the correct place but I'm a tad lost. I'm curious why the sisters of the last Czar were treated so differently. One witha grace and favor at Hampton Court and the other an apartment in Ottawa?

Xenia remained in London, and had been made administrator of her brother's estate. When finances were desperate, her cousin the king granted her a home.

Olga on the other hand chose to remain with their mother. Her and her husband and sons lived with Maria in Denmark until her death, Olga working as her secratary. They chose a quieter life, buy a farm, after her death. But when fear of Stalin drive them from Scandinavia, they chose to settle in Canada. They had a house in Ottawa, she moved into the apartment when her husband died and her health was failing.

It seems more a reflection of the life they chose to live. Married to a soldier, Olga was happier with a simpler commoner life. Xenia desired the life she had as a grand duchess and found a way to sustain it.

Hi, @Marc23!

I got this from the german Wikipedia. It is claimed there, that the Emperor, Olga's brother, made Kulikovsky a count at the occasion of the marriage and that Olga lost her title as a Grand Duchess:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Kulikowski

But the article is a stub and obviously is your knowledge about this subject much greater, than this of the german Wikipedia - so I stand corrected. Thank you! This is a lot of information!

I have never read such thing :(

I wouldn't trust 100% sources like wikipedia, as everybody can create it without any historical checking.

Even if he was created, he was not count by birth, he was not equal to the ruling family like her first husband Prince Peter of Oldenburg.

Even in this Oldenburg family there was similar case.

Duke Konstantin von Oldenburg married Agrippina Japaridze (1855-1927). Her family was Princely family from Georgia and their Georgian Princely title was officially confirmed in Russia in 1850.

That wasn't enough for the Oldenburg family because this family didn't belong to Gotha I or II sectors and she had to be created Countess von Zarnekau instead of being Duchess of Oldenburg.

The rules of that time were very strict.

Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Vladimir, Grand Prince of Kiev married Emperor Basil II's sister Anna. Returning to Kiev, Vladimir destroyed pagan monuments. He established many churches, starting with a church dedicated to St. Basil and the Church of the Tithes.

Sviatoslav reigned as Grand Prince of Kiev from 945 to 972. He preferred to dress in white. It was noted that his garments were much cleaner than those of his men.
:brush::brush::brush::brush::brush::brush::brush::brush:

Prince Andrew II Yaroslavich (c. 1222-1264) was the third son of Yaroslav II. He reigned as Grand Duke of Vladimir starting in 1249. In 1252 he was ousted by the Monguls from Russia.

Ivan III Vasilyevich reigned as Grand Prince of Moscow from 1462 to 1505. He was the first Russian ruler to style himself "Tsar".

Although Ivan III of Russia liked to call himself Tsar, he was never officially crowned as the Tsar.

Back
Top Bottom