Reburial of Empress Marie Feodorovna: 23-28 September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
"Reburial of the Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna

Today, Minister for Foreign Affairs Per Stig Møller has handed over to the Ambassador of the Russian Federation in Denmark a letter from Her Majesty the Queen of Denmark to the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin. The letter is in answer to an earlier letter to Her Majesty the Queen from the President, who has raised the question of a possible transfer of the mortal remains of Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna from Roskilde Cathedral to the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg.

The question of a reburial has also been raised with the Queen by representatives of the Romanov family, who have referred to the wish of Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna that her mortal remains, when circumstances would so permit, be laid finally to rest in the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg, next to her Consort, Czar Alexander III.

Against this background, the Queen indicates in Her letter that in principle Her Majesty will not stand in the way of the fulfilment of this wish, but also points to the necessity in such case of assuring that the transfer and reburial be conducted in a dignified and respectful manner. A reburial would simultaneously be a symbolic confirmation of the historical ties between Denmark and Russia.

The Minister for Foreign Affairs has also written a letter to the Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation, Mr. Igor Ivanov. The letter sets out a number of specific considerations which will have to be taken into account to ensure that the reburial be conducted in peace and with dignity. This will require a close co-operation between Danish and Russian authorities, and an agreement covering all aspects of the reburial must be concluded between the Governments of Denmark and Russia. Only when these deliberations have been finalized, will the Danish side be able to definitively assess whether a transfer of the mortal remains of the Empress-Dowager is appropriate, and seek Her Majesty the Queen's final approval of the reburial.
In such a case, the intention would be for a reburial to take place on 26 September 2004, as this date marks the anniversary of the arrival of Princess Dagmar to Russia on 26 September 1866 in order to marry the Russian heir apparent Alexander."

"Background information Empress-Dowager Dagmar (Maria Feodorovna)

Princess Dagmar was born in Copenhagen in 1847 as daughter of the later King Christian IX. Among her siblings were the later kings Frederik VIII of Denmark and George I of Greece as well as the later Queen Alexandra of England.

In November 1866 Princess Dagmar married the Russian Crown Prince Alexander who as Czar Alexander III ruled from 1881 till his death in 1894.

In connection with the wedding Princess Dagmar converted to the Russian orthodox faith and took the name Maria Feodorovna. She had six children, among them the later Czar Nicholay II who ruled from 1894 until he abdicated the throne in 1917.

Throughout her life Empress Maria Feodorovna was active in charitable work and contributed to the improvement of the educational system in Russia. During the First World War she made an important contribution as president of the Russian Red Cross.

Empress Maria Feodorovna lived in Russia for more than 50 years. She survived the revolution which cost the lives of two of her sons and of five grandchildren. She left Russia in 1919 on board a British navy vessel. From 1920 she lived at Hvidøre north of Copenhagen, where she died 75 years ago on 13 October 1928. She is buried in Roskilde Cathedral.

The initiative for a reburial of Empress Maria Feodorovna has been taken by the Romanov family and in accordance with Empress Maria Feodorovna's own wish. According to testimony from her close family it was her wish to be buried next to her Consort in the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg when the conditions in Russia would make it possible. In this connection a reburial would accentuate the great changes that have taken place in Russia since the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

A reburial has the backing of President Putin who, personally, has asked Her Majesty the Queen of Denmark for Danish support for a reburial.

The period before the Russian revolution, which was marked by a rapid development of relations between Russia and the rest of Europe, is currently subject to growing interest in Russia. There is also a considerable interest in Russia for a reburial, which may be seen as a Russian wish to re-establish the continuity of its history, and as a symbol of Russia's will to reoccupy its natural place in Europe. The symbolic value is strengthened by the fact that Empress Maria Feodorovna is uncontroversial in Russian history. She was respected and admired as a foreign princess who served Russia well. She is therefore ideal as a uniting symbol for the new Russia.

According to the preliminary plans, a reburial could take place on 26 September 2004. The date has been proposed by President Putin because Princess Dagmar came to Russia on that date (in 1866) in order to marry the Russian Crown Prince. "

Empress to return to Russia

Tsarina's Remains

COPENHAGEN (AP) -- The remains of Danish-born Tsarina Maria Feodorovna, mother of executed Tsar Nicholas II, will be returned to Russia in 2006 and laid to rest with her family in St. Petersburg, the Danish government said Wednesday.

The Danish Foreign Ministry said Russia and Denmark "have agreed to prepare a reburial in St. Petersburg of the Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna on 26 September 2006, 140 years after [she] first arrived in Russia to marry the heir to the Russian throne."

Born in 1847 in Copenhagen, Maria Feodorovna, originally Danish Princess Dagmar, married Tsar Alexander III in 1866 and had six children, including Nicholas II. When the Revolution swept Russia in 1917, Maria Feodorovna fled St. Petersburg. She returned to Denmark in 1919 and lived there until her death in 1928.

(From the Moscow Times)

Quite interesting to look at all these pictures. Thank you so much for posting them. ;)

There was a special on Danish television this Saturday about the Russian royals, and especially Empress Maria, or Empress Dagmar as they liked to call her. It was very informative.

The Danish and Russian authorities have agreed on the date for her reburial: September 26, 2006 in St. Petersburg. Then she will be buried next to her husband.

THE REBURIAL OF EMPRESS-DOWAGER MARIA FEODOROVNA

The Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the Kingdom of Denmark have agreed to prepare a reburial in St Petersburg of the Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna on 26 September 2006, 140 years after Princess Dagmar first arrived in Russia to marry the heir to the Russian throne, Great Prince Alexander Alexandrovich, the future Emperor Alexander III.

According to a family tradition it was the Empress’ wish that Her mortal remains be laid to rest at the family burial place of the Russian Czars next to the remains of Her Consort, when circumstances would permit.At present, the mortal remains of the Empress-Dowager Maria Feodorovna rest in the vaults of Roskilde Cathedral in Denmark.

translated from http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=431834/

Empress to be buried
by BODIL CATH

Prince Dimitri Romanov, 80 years old, Russian prince, who lives in Denmark is looking forward to Empress Dagmar's re-burial in St. Petersburg, which has been planned for the past three to four years.

"It's odd to say that you look forward to a funeral. But I do, because Empress Dagmar, who was born a Danish princess, and who lived for over 50 years in Russia, is finally going to be resting next to her husband, Tsar Alexander III."

"The reburial is scheduled for September, with ceremonies 22. and 23. in Denmark, after which the Empress will be transported by ship to the island Kronstadt, close to St. Petersburg," says Dimitri.

The empress' last resting place will be in St. Petersburg, where the final ceremony will take place in the end of September.

It hasn't yet been decided if it will be Crown Prince Frederik or Prince Joachim who will participate on behalf of the Danish royal family.

Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna will be reburied (official date) September 26, 2006. It's taken two more years than expected, but it's finally happening! I'm so very excited! I can't wait to see pictures!

The burial of Empress Maria Feodorovna in Petersburg and a duty of Vladimir Putin

It is the time that the remains of the late Empress Maria Feodorovna should join the coffin of her dear and beloved husband Tsar Aleksandr III, so she can rest in peace close to her family. It is time that Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin should apologize in name of the Russian State for the awful crimes committed by the Bolsheviks, not only the massacre of the Sovereign Emperor Nikolai II, his wife Aleksandra Feodorovna and his five children, and those who perished in Alapayevsk, plus Grand Duke Mijail Aleksandrovich, and the last ones to be assassinated in the Fortress of Petropavovlsk in January 1919. But for all the victims of the Soviet Regime, those who were murdered under Lenin, as an example in the Solovki camp, those who were murdered by fire squads or by famine or by any other mean under Stalin the butcher. The terror in Russia lasted for almost all the time that the Communist rule Holy Russia. Even after World War II was over the mass murdered went on for years, some 2 million were executed between 1944 and 1953, when the Devil died. President Putin as an active officer of the KGB cannot ignore all these facts. The historian and former General of the KGB Dmitri Volkogonov had written in two wonderful books about all what I am telling here. Considering the accuracy of all these facts, which you can find in the Archives of the Russian State and the KGB. It is time my friends for an official apology to all the victims of the Totalitarian Regime who ruled Russia for almost 85 years. The only way to be really free is to recognize the truth, hidden for such long time to most Russians.

Last edited:
The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs have made a web-page for those who want to follow the Reburial of Empress Marie Feodorovna, from 23.- 28. September, 2006, in Denmark and Russia.

http://www.reburial.um.dk/en - The English version (is very poor in links/material at the moment)
http://www.reburial.um.dk/da - The Danish version
http://www.reburial.um.dk/ru - The Russian version - or I'm assuming it is Russian, since I don't actually know it.

Last edited:
Im glad she will buried next to her Husband

May her rest in peace! She deserved to be buried there, along with her dear husband.

Vanesa.:)

Thanks for sharing the links. Its good that Empress Marie will be returned to Russia to lay beside her husband.

norwegianne said:
The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs have made a web-page for those who want to follow the Reburial of Empress Marie Feodorovna, from 23.- 28. September, 2006, in Denmark and Russia.

http://www.reburial.um.dk/en - The English version (is very poor in links/material at the moment)
http://www.reburial.um.dk/ru - The Russian version - or I'm assuming it is Russian, since I don't actually know it.

Great news

I am glad to hear it. Their marriage was said to be a real love. Let them be together.

norwegianne said:

The re-burial of HIM Kejserinde Dagmar,as she is known in Danmark.

On october 10th 2005 a memorandum was signed in Moscow regarding the re-burial of HIM Empress Maria Feodorovna.

The schedule:

Saturday september 23rd 2006:

Memorial service at Roskilde Cathedral,Danmark.All members of the Royal Family will be in attendance.

A Danish warship will take the coffin to Russia.

Tuesday september 26th :

Arrival at Peterhof and lying-in-state at the Alexander Newski Cathedral,where the public can pay their last respects.

Thursday september 28th:

The coffin of HIM will be transferred to the Cathedral of St.Isaac,St.Petersburg and from there in procession to
the Cathedral of St.Peter and St.Paul.

TRH Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will join the procession at St.Isaac,and attend the committal,
representing the Danish Royal Family.

Will the services in Denmark and Russia be Orthodox services or will the Danish one be Lutheran and the Russian one be Orthodox?

That's a good question. I would like to know for myself as well. I can't wait for what I know will be a solemn but moving service!
Lida 85

Who Will Attend?

Hello Everyone,

Has there been an agenda of who will attend these reburial services?
It has been announced that th Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark will represent the Danes, but who will be there for Russia?
Which Romanovs? Will Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son be there?
Any news on this?

And, do you think this will be a big 'news story' in the press and on TV? Most people in North and South America don't know who she was nor care. Will it play in America?

Larry

I am happy to hear that. Maria Feodorovna was always my favorite from Romanovs. How tragic for her to see her beloved people go away forever...And than all those "Anastsijas" and "Alexeiys".

Vecchiolarry said:
Hello Everyone,

Has there been an agenda of who will attend these reburial services?
It has been announced that th Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark will represent the Danes, but who will be there for Russia?
Which Romanovs? Will Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son be there?
Any news on this?
Larry

The protocol and service is being handled by the Danish Royal Household, with diplomatic assistance from the Government, and coordinated with the surviving descendants of Grand Duchesses Olga and Xenia.

I would imagine the animosity between Maria and her cousins (The Romanov Family Association) will result in a non-invitation to the reburial services of the Dowager Empress Marie in St. Petersburg. She always raises issues of protocol and precedence, which will not be accepted by the Danish Court or the Romanov family.

I should imagine Maria will go. It isn't like the Romanov re-burials where there was the Church issue. This is one of her ancestors and there's no argument about the re-burial so I think she will go.

Only if she behaves herself and doesn't insist on being addressed as Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna with precedence ahead of her relatives.

BeatrixFan said:
I should imagine Maria will go. It isn't like the Romanov re-burials where there was the Church issue. This is one of her ancestors and there's no argument about the re-burial so I think she will go.
Er... Ancestor? Not in direct line, is she?

They can't pick & choose who can come to the reburial can they? I'm assuming anyone from the Romanov family could go to the reburial if they wanted to, right? Or will the Danish RF be the ones to pick a select few to represent the Romanov family?

She may not be in the direct line but the Empress is a relative of Maria's however distant. And Maria's proper title, agreed by State and Church is Her Imperial Highness The Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. She has a right to be addressed as such and to attend the burial service. I'm a support of Maria's in case you hadn't guessed but I really think she will attend with her son. The Tsar's burial was different but this is fairly open and shut.

Lady Jennifer said:
They can't pick & choose who can come to the reburial can they? I'm assuming anyone from the Romanov family could go to the reburial if they wanted to, right? Or will the Danish RF be the ones to pick a select few to represent the Romanov family?

I think that the Russian Government may have some say.

The incident that branchg is referring to took place on July 15, 1998. Maria was going to attend the reburial of the remains of Nicholas II and his family at the Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Maria's cousin, Nicholas Romanov, head of the aforementioned RFA, was going to play an important role in the proceedings. I would imagine that Maria was (understandably) upset that the Russian Government was snubbing her by the role her cousin was going to play in the ceremonies, so she attended another memorial service at the Saint Sergei monastery in Zagorsk, which was organized by Alexius II, Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
She may not be in the direct line but the Empress is a relative of Maria's however distant. And Maria's proper title, agreed by State and Church is Her Imperial Highness The Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. She has a right to be addressed as such and to attend the burial service. I'm a support of Maria's in case you hadn't guessed but I really think she will attend with her son. The Tsar's burial was different but this is fairly open and shut.

I completely agree.

Indeed I think one of the her most important supporters is the Patriarch, who had much to do with the funeral mass that was held for Wladimir and his subsequent burial at the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul (which was presided over by Alexius).

Last edited:
The reason Maria gave for not going to the reburial of the Tsar was that the Orthodox Church said that the remains were not authentic and therefore it would be wrong for them to give their blessing to the ceremony. Maria is a faithful Orthodox and therefore followed Patriatch Alexei II and as Benjamin rightly says, she attended a different service that was a memorial service rather than a funeral service.

President Yeltsin address Maria during his Premiership as HIH The Grand Duchess Maria. Putin has done the same. So the Russian Government have made it clear where they stand on the titles issue. The Orthodox Church have made it clear that they adore Maria. So, if the reburial in Russia is an Orthodox service as I believe it will be, Maria will most definately be there. I would imagine that the Church seating etc will be handled by the Church and not the Government and they will put Maria before anyone else.

A Dignified Ceremony

Hi,

Yes Benjamin, I should think that the Russian government would have a great deal to say about this ceremony.
After all, it's Russian territory and 'the welcoming home' of a Russian Empress. I am glad that the Danish Royals and protocol are involved; therefore, we know it will be a dignified ceremony.

I certainly think that The Grand Duchess Maria should attend and perhaps further a healing among the Family.
We cannot have another example of the Savoys!!

Larry

BeatrixFan said:

She has no right to hold the rank of Imperial Highness or to be a Grand Duchess. She is simply Princess Maria Vladimirovna Romanovskaya, just like everyone else in the family, as a morganatic descendant of an imperial dynast.

Back
Top Bottom