Reburial of Empress Marie Feodorovna: 23-28 September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bbb said:
thanks so much for all the information and photos, i'm so happy she's on her way to join her family. It doesn't look like many people turned out to pay their respects, sigh-

Well - I turned out to pay my respect and I think it was a beautiful day with lots of sun and happiness for Denmark to say a very last goodbye to their lovely princess...

bbb said:
thanks so much for all the information and photos, i'm so happy she's on her way to join her family. It doesn't look like many people turned out to pay their respects, sigh-
I think one reason for it might be that they had a fairly long route so people might've spread out a bit. I looked up at Christiansborg from where I was standing and it was considerably more crowded up there. (Which was why I didn't go up there as I wanted to stand in front to get pictures.) It was also considerably more crowded on my side of the street, closest to the lane wherein the wagon was driving than on the other side. I was standing next to an elderly lady (also with a camera), and quite a crowd had built up next to us, so two guys in their 20s asked what was happening. After we told them, they ended up staying to catch a climpse of it all - dragging out their cell-phones to take pictures of it. ;)

Thanks for the pictures norwegianne. Its wonderful to see Denmark honoring her on her trip back to her adopted homeland.

i'm glad ya'll got to witness history, it looks like it was very moving and respectful, i would have loved to have been there. a beautiful day shining on a loved princess/empress, how fitting :)

The Royal Family attends a solemn mass in memory of Empress Maria Feodorovna.
The coffin with Danish Princess Dagmar (1847-1928), the second last Empress of Russia, Maria Fedorovna, passes the Royal Palace of Amalienborg in Copenhagen after a re-burial ceremony in the Roskilde Cathedral 23 September 2006. A solemn, emotional mass was held today at Roskilde cathedral for the last Russian tsar's mother, a Danish princess who became empress of Russia in 1866, before she is reburied in Saint Petersburg, in line with her final wishes.

Pics from GettyImages, Polfoto and Seegerpress.

I'm not sure on how many pictures I can place in a single post, please feel free to merge it.

Last edited:

Pics courtesy of GettyImages, Polfoto and Seegerpress.

I'm curious. I noticed that during the service, Joachim was seated with Mary to his left, but who was on his right? Was it Princess Benedikte?

yes, it was princess benedikte

Were Anne-Marie & Constantine of Greece at the mass?

WOW........what a classy lady! Crown Princess Mary looks simply devine and incredibly elegant!!! :wub:

I love Mary's outfit, hat, shoes and jewellery........just perfect. I think Mary's whole look is very appropriate for this historical occasion.

Well done.......CPs Mary!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Amen

Last edited:
What a moving ceremony. I do think it's a shame that Maria Vladimirovna was cut out of things but there we are.

More articles

Here are some more articles about the reburial:

Mother of tsar makes last voyage
The remains of the Danish-born mother of Russia's last tsar are being taken to St Petersburg, 140 years after she first arrived in Russia....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5372956.stm

Ceremony of Russian Tsarina reburial begins in Denmark on Sat
22.09.2006, 15.58
ST. PETERSBURG, September 22 (Itar-Tass) - Russian Culture Minister Alexander Sokolov flew to Denmark on Friday to attend the ceremony of the reburial of Tsarina Maria Fyodorovna.....
http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=10817689&PageNum=0

I thought everything was beautiful. I'm glad that the Empress's wishes were respected.

On a completely superficial note, the hat Mary is wearing is the same hat except in black that she wore during the summercruises in 2004:

(Credit: Polfoto)

I'm very happy being aware that Empress Maria Feodorovna is now "in her way home". Hope Russians should receive her as she deserves. Welcome to your country, Your Imperial Highness! :flowers:

Vanesa.

I would have preferred to see Prince Henrik in a suit that didn't make me think of a mob or gangster movie. From that one picture on the balcony that RaniaRocks posted, it looks like a stereotypical pinstriped suit you'd see Al Capone wear. I'd rather he worn a plain navy or black suit like Frederik did.

The Flag

I apologize in advance if the question has already been answered, I skimmed the first couple of pages of this thread.

What flag is on the offin of Empress Marie Fedorovna? Is it the Russian Imperial family?

I think it was great that the Danish Royal Family attended the service before the late Empress left Denmark. A lovely way to fufill the wishes of the Empress. May she rest in peace now that is she is finally laid to rest with her husband.

Zonk said:
I apologize in advance if the question has already been answered, I skimmed the first couple of pages of this thread.

What flag is on the coffin of Empress Marie Fedorovna? Is it the Russian Imperial family?

I want to say it is, but I am not 100% certain. If its not the flag, its at least the family crest.

yay. dagmar is going back to russia! i feel so happy for her. the fact that the queen actually bowed to dagmar's coffin shows that she truly respects her great great grand aunt.

Zonk said:

What flag is on the offin of Empress Marie Fedorovna? Is it the Russian Imperial family?
It was said on television that it was her flag, the imperial standard, which had been transported from Russia for this.

If you look at this picture from the reburial of her son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, you'll see that two of the coffins there also are draped with a similar standard.

This is so interesting! First of all thanks to every one who has shared web links and photos! It'll be a while before we see it here in America. This is truely a historic occassion! And CP Mary looked fabulous! Funeral Chic!

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark website listed at the beginning of this thread: "Another representative of the Romanov family, Prince Dimitri Romanov, has a particular allegiance to Denmark. His brother, Nicholas Romanov, who lives in Switzerland, is today considered the Head of the Romanov family. Prince Dimitri Romanov and his Danishborn wife, Princess Dorrit Romanov, have lived in Denmark for many years." It is my understanding that Queen Elizabeth II actually stood up when he entered a room to meet her, and she reserves that only for other Heads of State, etc. That's good enough for me!

Nicholas Romanov, who lives in Switzerland, is today considered the Head of the Romanov family.

Only by some people. Others see other people as Head of the Family.

thanks so much to everyone for the photos and links. it was a beautiful ceremony and i've enjoyed all the work put into it. its such a sad, tragic story i'm so glad the empress wishes have been repected and she will soon be with her family again. the links in norwegiannes post are very interesting to read if you're interested in the russian royal family
thanks again
wonderful job as always maddedk i woke up this morning looking forward to seeing your work :)

Thank you for posting the great pictures, Madde! I'm always glad when you're around to share them with us! :flowers:

Thank you to everyone for their pictures and information. What a lovely ceremony. :)

Sister Morphine said:
I would have preferred to see Prince Henrik in a suit that didn't make me think of a mob or gangster movie. From that one picture on the balcony that RaniaRocks posted, it looks like a stereotypical pinstriped suit you'd see Al Capone wear. I'd rather he worn a plain navy or black suit like Frederik did.

I was wondering if anyone would ever mentioned his suit. You are right, a gangster suit, stood out like a "sore thumb"!!

And I know I will get tomatoes thrown at me, but I have mentioned it before, but Frederick needs help with his hair and his suits. His suit jacket is always opened near belt, his brother wears better fitted suits. And by the way, Prince William sure knows how to dress!!

charlottestreasures said:
I was wondering if anyone would ever mentioned his suit. You are right, a gangster suit, stood out like a "sore thumb"!!

I did think Henriks suit was little odd for such an occasion, maybe his black one was still at the dry cleaners.
:flowers: Thanks MaddeDK again for the amazing photo's. I love the picture of Mary smiling, she is such a beautiful woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was an interesting ceremony, thanks for the pictures and the video!
I'm not sure if this was posted before but there is an official page (in English) that is dedicated to the Reburial. On the left side of the screen are the updated links about this historical Ceremony:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark: Reburial of Empress Maria Fedorovna, September 2006

And from Russia:
Remains of Empress Heading Home
The Moscow Times
Monday Sept. 25, 2006

This link has an interview with Dimitri Romanov
Czarina’s remains to travel to Russia for reburial
Associated Press
Friday Sept 22, 2006

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom