Prince Nicolas Romanovich passed away aged 92

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucien

Majesty
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
:imperialrussia:

Prince Nikolai Romanovich,son of Roman Petrovitch,Godson of the last Tsar,and Prascovia Dimitrievna Scheremetev,passed away in Tuscany aged 92 thus the announcement by his younger brother,Prince Dmitri Romanovitch.

Prince Nikolai was President of the Romanov Family Association since 1989

R.I.P.

He'll be sincerely and deeply missed.

God Bless him and take him into His Grace.

God bless Prince Nikolai and grant him rest. RIP.

Prince Nicholas is survived by his wife Sveva, to whom he has been married for nearly 63 years, their three daughters Natalia, Elisabeta and Tatiana with their families and by his brother Prince Dimitri.

I suppose that now he will be succeeded in his claims by Prince Dimitri.

Prince Nicholas is survived by his wife Sveva, to whom he has been married for nearly 63 years, their three daughters Natalia, Elisabeta and Tatiana with their families and by his brother Prince Dimitri.

I suppose that now he will be succeeded in his claims by Prince Dimitri.

I believe it will be Rostislav, not Dimitri. Rostislav is considered the Heir, next in line to lead the Romanov Family Association.

In 1942, Nikolai Romanov, 19 at the time, rejected an offer from the Italian fascist government to become king of occupied Montenegro. From July 1942, he worked in the Allies' organizations engaged in anti-Nazi propaganda.
Source: Russia Beyond the Headlines - http://rbth.com/society/2014/09/15/prince_nikolai_romanov_dies_in_italy_at_the_age_of_91_39793.html)

Well done Good and Faithful Servant.

Sorry I thought that it was Grand Duchess Maria Valdimirovna and her son, who are the throne pretendants. What their relationship with late Prince Nocolas Romanovich?

I believe it will be Rostislav, not Dimitri. Rostislav is considered the Heir, next in line to lead the Romanov Family Association.

How is that possible? The most close male relative to the late Prince Nicolas Romanovich Romanov is his younger brother Prince Dmitri Romanovich Romanov (1).

The then closest male relative to both brothers is their far cousin Prince Andrey Andreyevich Romanov (2) and his three sons Prince Alexis (3), Prince Peter (4) and Prince Andrew (5). The then closest male descendant is their far cousin Prince Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov (6).

How can Prince Rostislav bypass all these successors before him?

Sorry I thought that it was Grand Duchess Maria Valdimirovna and her son, who are the throne pretendants. What their relationship with late Prince Nocolas Romanovich?

Maria Vladimirovna comes from a total different line than her far cousin Prince Nicholas.

The claimants are split in factions. The two most important factions both desdent from Tsar Nicholas I. The line of Maria Vladimirovna descends from the eldest son of Tsar Nicolas I and is the most senior line:

Tsar Nicholas I
x Princess Charlotte of Prussia
= Tsar Alexander II

Tsar Alexander II
x Princess Marie of Hesse
= Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich (brother of Tsar Alexander III)

Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich
x Duchess Marie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
= Grand Duke Kyrill Vladimirovich

Grand Duke Kyrill Vladimirovich
x Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh
= Grand Duke Vladimir Kyrillovich

Grand Duke Vladimir Kyrillovich
x Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Moukhranskaya
= Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna
x Prince Franz-Wilhelm of Prussia
= Grand Duke Georgy, Prince of Prussia

As said the line of Maria Vladimirovna descends from the eldest son of Tsar Nicolas I and is the most senior line. The line of Prince Nicholas Romanovich descends from the third son of Tsar Nicholas I and is therefore junior to the line of Maria Vladimirovna.

Tsar Nicholas I
x Princess Charlotte of Prussia
= Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholayevich

Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholayevich
x Princess Alexandra of Oldenburg
= Grand Duke Pjotr Nicholayevich

Grand Duke Pjotr Nicholayevich
x Princess Milica of Montenegro
= Prince Roman Petrovich

Prince Roman Petrovich
x Countess Praskhiova Sheremeteeva
= Prince Nicholas Romanovich

Prince Nicholas Romanovich
x Countess Sveva della Gherardesca
= 3 daughters

So the deceased is very, very, very remotely related to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimorovna. The junior line claims that Maria Vladimirova can not be the successor since the marriages with Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh and with Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Moukhranskaya were not strictly equal.

The other line sees marriages with Countess Praskhiova Sheremeteeva and Countess Sveva della Gherardesca, absolutely not equal at all but this is countered with the argument that Grand Dukes (= sons and male line Grandsons of Tsars) were bound to marry a strictly equal marriage. Other Romanovs were not bound by this strict requirement. So in the way of thinking of the junior line, the senior line (father and grandfather of Maria Vladimirovna) "violated" the strict requirement which did not count for the father of Nicholas Romanovich and his own marriage)...

Jaja.... I call that "very creative accountancy".

:flowers:

Last edited:
My bad, my brain isn't functioning right now.

Pretty much antagonistic.

Last edited:
How incredibly sad. I always enjoyed his contribution about his family to En kongelig familie, he seemed like an intelligent and pleasant man. May he rest in peace.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna has expressed her condolences after the death of Prince Nicholas Romanovich.

Старший в роду Романовых - князь Николай Романович скончался в Италии | РИА Новости

Truly a Christian woman, able to forgive those who offended her and cast doubts upon her dynastic rights. Now I admire The Grand Duchess of Russia even more, because Her Imperial Highness, as Head of the House of Romanov, knows she must respect all her relatives, even when they not respect her.

My translator says that Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand Duchess of Russia has offered her condoleances to the next of kin of the late Prince Nicholas Romanovich Romanov and requests everyone to pray for the soul of the late Prince.

The Grand Duchess stated that she welcomed the many activities initiated by the late Prince Nicholas and his brother Prince Dimitry. Sometimes the late Prince made statements, like on social issues in Russia, on the history of the House Romanov, which "as honesty forces to say" were not always consistent with the official position of the Imperial House but as a private person, Prince Nicholas had the right to express his own opinion. Even while Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna did not always agree with the opinions of the late Prince, she "never ceased to regard him as a relative, with love and respect".

So the deceased is very, very, very remotely related to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimorovna. The junior line claims that Maria Vladimirova can not be the successor since the marriages with Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh and with Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Moukhranskaya were not strictly equal.

The other line sees marriages with Countess Praskhiova Sheremeteeva and Countess Sveva della Gherardesca, absolutely not equal at all but this is countered with the argument that Grand Dukes (= sons and male line Grandsons of Tsars) were bound to marry a strictly equal marriage. Other Romanovs were not bound by this strict requirement. So in the way of thinking of the junior line, the senior line (father and grandfather of Maria Vladimirovna) "violated" the strict requirement which did not count for the father of Nicholas Romanovich and his own marriage)...

Jaja.... I call that "very creative accountancy".

It's slightly more complicated than that.

In order for a woman to inherit under the old House Laws all the male dynasts have to be dead. If there are no men in the succession at all then the closest female relative of the last ruler/claimant is the successor.

Maria claims that none of the living male Romanovs are dynasts due to unequal marriages, making her the successor as the closest female relative of the last claimant (her father).

Nicholas and the rest of the Romanovs claim that their parents succession rights weren't removed upon marriage because no one asked for them to be renounced, and even if they were it's not like Maria was born to an equal marriage either.

Really there's a bit of tricky accounting going on on both sides of the dispute.

This is sad to hear. I didn't realise that Prince Nicholas Romanovich was as old as he was - for some reason I'd always thought he was in his late seventies or eighties. May he rest in peace. :sad:

And thanks to those who had mentioned his claim to the former Imperial Throne, I had often wondered about how that worked and also how he was related to Grand Duchess Maria (nice of her to issue a message of sympathy about his death).

Last edited:
I contacted the Russian Nobility Association and I was told they're working on the obituary and will contact me when it's up. I'm a member, it's cool.

It's slightly more complicated than that.

In order for a woman to inherit under the old House Laws all the male dynasts have to be dead. If there are no men in the succession at all then the closest female relative of the last ruler/claimant is the successor.

Maria claims that none of the living male Romanovs are dynasts due to unequal marriages, making her the successor as the closest female relative of the last claimant (her father).

Nicholas and the rest of the Romanovs claim that their parents succession rights weren't removed upon marriage because no one asked for them to be renounced, and even if they were it's not like Maria was born to an equal marriage either.

Really there's a bit of tricky accounting going on on both sides of the dispute.

I'm really surprised this rivalry isn't played out in the press more. It's filled with so much hair splitting it should be able to keep the press occupied nonstop.

Here are the comments translated to English:

Fond memory and the kingdom of heaven. A wonderful man he was.

Very sad news.

Fond memory ..

Eternal blessed memory, and the kingdom of heaven. Awesome was a man. This guardian Heritage House of Romanov.

Fond memory ... Incredible was a man!

fond memories ...

Eternal memory and the kingdom of heaven ... Really, was a strong personality!

Unsurprisingly the Romanovs are united in their opinion on the Crimea situation.

Unsurprisingly the Romanovs are united in their opinion on the Crimea situation.

That feeling is shared by an overwhelming majority of the Russians who always and ever have seen Crimea as part of the Motherland. The Romanovs are perfectly in line with what their compatriots feel about that.

Slightly veering off the topic ...

The current Romanovs were/are in line with the views of their Imperial ancestors, who sent armies to conquer Crimea in 1783 and then to defend it during the Crimean War of 1853-1856. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited:
:imperialrussia:

Prince nikolai romanovich,son of roman petrovitch,godson of the last tsar,and prascovia dimitrievna scheremetev,passed away in tuscany aged 92 thus the announcement by his younger brother,prince dmitri romanovitch.

Prince nikolai was president of the romanov family association since 1989

r.i.p.
r.i.p. :'(

Back
Top Bottom