Possible Brides for Nicholas II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading in two books (one being 'A Lifelong Passion' and the other being Greg King's biography of Aleksandra Feodorovna) that Ella was very much for the match between her sister and Tsarevch Nikolai. Alix was very hesitant to become engaged to Nikolai because she wasn't comfortable with converting to Orthodoxy, and Ella was the one to basically say that converting wasn't a big deal, because she did it when marrying Sergei. In a way, the story of Nikolai and Alix is a rather doomed fairy tale. They meet when still children, and are drawn to each other (even writing their initials [or carving, I can't remember and too lazy to go and look it up in a book] their initials on a window (or pane, if they carved them in). Nikolai was so adamant on marrying Alix, that he threatened to become a monk. I think that pretty much sealed the deal for his parents, who knew that he needed to marry and father children (a son to be exact) in order to secure the dynasty.

:previous:Exactly. It was Alix or nobody. And what with Alexander's failing health, Alix it was.

Nicholas' parents wanted him to marry Princess Helene of Orleans to help seal an alliance with France against Germany. But he refused to consider it.

Also Helene's father would not have allowed the necessary conversion to Russian Orthodoxy.

Nicholas' parents wanted him to marry Princess Helene of Orleans to help seal an alliance with France against Germany. But he refused to consider it.
As Minnie hated Germany.

A lot of the Romanovs were prejudiced against Germans and it is a pity that Nicholas refused to listen to his parents. Helene would have ended up a good match and there were a lot of others.

In this case, due to the doomed marriage between Nicholas and Alexandra, it appears that his parents were right to oppose the match. It's a pity that Alexander's death brought it about or his early death did not allow the couple to be married for a period of time before ascending the throne.

Supposedly Nicholas was elated at how his father was weakening, because it meant that another 'obstacle' to their marriage was crumbling. His parents saw a lot of things that Nicholas didn't or refused to see and so did Queen Victoria, who was against the idea of such a match because she saw teh Russian throne as unstable. Go figure, everyone around them was right.

A lot of the Romanovs were prejudiced against Germans and it is a pity that Nicholas refused to listen to his parents. Helene would have ended up a good match and there were a lot of others.

Comsidering that most of them married germans, that can't be quite true

I just find it surprising that Nicholas was so vociferous about marrying Alix, despite the fact that Alix wasn't suited ot the role.

Well Alexander III also suggested Margaret of Prussia so it wasn't about being German. People just felt Alexandra was too shy and provincial to become Empress of Russia. There was also the question of conversion to Orthodoxy which was necessary for any bride and Alix of Hesse resisted changing her religion. Helene of France would not have been allowed to convert by her father the Comte de Paris. The same requirement resulted in her proposed engagement to Eddy, Duke of Clarence not going forward. Queen Victoria favored the union but her father would not allow her to give up her Catholic faith.

Considering that most of them married germans, that can't be quite true

True,all male Romanovs who married equally until revolution married princesses from German dynasties...

The only exceptions were Militza and Anastasia of Montenegro and Princess Helena of Serbia.

I just find it surprising that Nicholas was so vociferous about marrying Alix, despite the fact that Alix wasn't suited ot the role.
Obviously she flipped his cookie, rang his bell, rocked his kingdom and that was that.

And, Lord, knows why. She was called "Sunny", but she was one of the most dour people photographed at that time. There was nothing sunny about her.

And, Lord, knows why. She was called "Sunny", but she was one of the most dour people photographed at that time. There was nothing sunny about her.

Princess Alix of Hesse was reportedly called "Sunny" as a small child because of her then personality and blond good looks. After her mother died she became very withdrawn and shy, but the nickname stuck.

Obviously she flipped his cookie, rang his bell, rocked his kingdom and that was that.

I do indeed love your way with words :ROFLMAO:. Some of these I've never heard before. Thank you for the laugh. It's always appreciated :D.

True,all male Romanovs who married equally until revolution married princesses from German dynasties...

The only exceptions were Militza and Anastasia of Montenegro and Princess Helena of Serbia.

That's because Germany had the most eligible brides due to the numerous reigning royal and ducal houses at the time. And since many of them were relatively poor compared to the great wealth of the Romanov Dynasty, marrying a Grand Duke was often a huge step up.

To be fair, looking dour and not smiling was the practice when taking photos during Alexandra's time. I have often been struck by how downright evil Mary of Teck looks in her photos. But you are right that Alexandra didn't just seem to be "not smiling" but her face just comes off as miserable.

Hi,

Don't forget the Danish bride - Dagmar, who became Maria Feodorovna!!!

Perhaps the Romanovs grew tired of steudel and preferred a danish for a change!!!!

OK, bad joke.....

Larry

Countess, she was nicknamed "Sunny" as a child because she was!! It seems that she was a delightful, happy child who charmed all around her.......and then tragedy struck and her world changed forever. My own belief is that her older sisters had each other for comfort and she felt isolated. It maybe that it was then that she became emotionally self reliant and withdrawn. IMO being Alexandra must have been the lonliest place in the world.

Hi,

Don't forget the Danish bride - Dagmar, who became Maria Feodorovna!!!

Perhaps the Romanovs grew tired of steudel and preferred a danish for a change!!!!

OK, bad joke.....

Larry

but Dagmars father was origianlly a german princeling before he was chosen for the Danish throne

but Dagmars father was origianlly a german princeling before he was chosen for the Danish throne

I thought the mother, Louise, was a descendant from a German princely family but she had Danish ancestors and was actually the closest link to the Danish throne. Her husband who was Danish and a member of the cadet line was offered the throne because of his marriage to Louise. Frederick was a member of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg, wasn't he?

I thought the mother, Louise, was a descendant from a German princely family but she had Danish ancestors and was actually the closest link to the Danish throne. Her husband who was Danish and a member of the cadet line was offered the throne because of his marriage to Louise. Frederick was a member of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg, wasn't he?

The Duchy of SHSG could b e considered to be both German and Danish. As I understand it it was part of the HRE. The future Christian IX (Dagmars father) was a younger son of the Duke.

The Duchy of SHSG could b e considered to be both German and Danish. As I understand it it was part of the HRE. The future Christian IX (Dagmars father) was a younger son of the Duke.

True,both countries did have a claim to the Duchies,but most of it became German territory in the 19th century...

But again,Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg was a cadet line of German(Oldenburg) dynasty that ruled in Denmark for centuries,which,again,was originally a German dynasty who married almost exclusively Germanic Princesses...

Can you imagine putting that surname on your passport, let alone a banking cheque or perhaps the back of a soccer/football uniform? :D

Can you imagine putting that surname on your passport, let alone a banking cheque or perhaps the back of a soccer/football uniform? :D

Russo my dear,

You are too funny!:lol: Passport, cheque and jersey would all have to be extra-large!

Forget the jersey, etc., think of the poor sports commentator or dchool teacher that has to say all those names. By the time they do, the will forget what it is they wanted to say in the first place :D.

Back
Top Bottom