Peter the Great (1672-1725)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liberators and Losers...

The narrative of the backward Russia was always a popular one - by the wannabe conquerors:

Napoleon wanted to free the serfs, Hitler the Russians from Bolshevism... well, we know, how it ended!

One should not forget, that Russia had amassed the biggest part of this planet long before Peter the Great!

From 30 May to 24 September 2017, this exhibition will be dedicated to the stay of Peter the Great in Paris and at the Palace of Versailles in May and June 1717, celebrating the tercentenary of his trip in France.

Thanks to a partnership between the Palace of Versailles and the State Hermitage Museum in St-Petersburg, the exhibition will present what was one of the major diplomatic and cultural event at the beginning of Louis XV's reign only two years after Louis XIV's death.
Peter the Great, a Tsar in France. 1717 | Palace of Versailles

The 300th Anniversary of Peter's I visit to Paris - Culture Gazette
https://www.rbth.com/news/2017/02/0...-anniversary-of-peter-the-greats-visit_698763

President Putin may visit France to inaugurate the exhibition on May 29.

UPDATE
Vladimir Putin will visit Paris on May 29 |President of Russia
The President will visit Paris on May 29 at the invitation of President of France Emmanuel Macron.
The two presidents will open an exhibition organised by the State Hermitage at the Grand Trianon at the Palace of Versailles. The exhibition is devoted to the 300th anniversary of Peter the Great’s visit to France, which laid the foundations for lasting ties between the two countries.

Last edited:
Tsar Peter I endeavored to stop arranged marriages. This affected him personally as his owned arranged marriage to Eudoxia Lopukhina was disastrous.

When did Tsar Peter I name his own successor to the throne?

He had his second wife Catherine crowned in 1724 and she succeeded him as Empress from 1725 until her death.

Tsar Peter I lays the groundwork for a new Russian military and method of war.
Peter built his log house in three days. He had St. Petersburg built.

Empress Catherine I of Russia had previously been a servant girl.

Tsar Peter I helped with the construction of an East Indiaman ship. The ship was appropriately named Peter and Paul.

Back
Top Bottom