Murder of the Imperial Family 17 July 1918

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were others that were killed with them - some servants.

They have identified all seven of the Romanovs using Philip and his sister Sophie's DNA - both having the same Mtd DNA as the Empress and her children along with elements of DNA that would match the Tsars due to his descent from Marie and theirs from Marie's brother William (George I of the Hellenes).

So then what's up with this article...just folks trying to make a name?

LaRae

There are people, including elements of the Russian Orthodox Church, who don't support the scientific evidence and who don't want the remains to be the family at all.

Aha...interesting. Thanks Bertie!

ETA: Why do the Orthodox (some of them) prefer it not be the Romanov's...is it the whole Rasputin thing?

LaRae

There are people, including elements of the Russian Orthodox Church, who don't support the scientific evidence and who don't want the remains to be the family at all.

Curious, too. :sad: Why don't they want the remains to be the family at all?

Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia blesses the Church of Fyodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady as part of commemorative events marking the centenary of the murder of the Russian royal family on 15 July

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:137979758:1800x650:w?v=5b2b8ed5&m=ecdhnhkn
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:137979672:1800x650:w?v=5b2b8ed5&m=ddacaihg
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:137979666:1800x650:w?v=5b2b8ed5&m=mnkfaeja
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:137982359:1800x650:w?v=5b2b8ed5&m=ajcccnnp

https://www.profimedia.cz/similar/377903284

Olga-Kulikovskaya-Romanova, widow of Nicholas II's nephew Tikhon Kulikovsky-Romanovwas present

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:137979750:1800x650:w?v=5b2b8ed5&m=haajpkmm

Last edited:
Tonight is the 100th anniversary of the massacre of the Imperial Family [and their remaining servants]
, in the basement of the Ipatiev House in Ekaterinburg.

NOTHING can erase this monstrous stain on the History of the Russian peoples,and the taking of so many innocent lives without even the semblance of a Trial.

Myself and other Monarchists will be keeping Vigil at the [Russian Orthodox] Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God and the Royal Martyrs, in Chiswick, West London.
Doubtless it will be a deeply moving ceremony, and 'packed to the rafters'..

Attachments

• IMP.jpg
    IMP.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 117
Nasty Stuff...

How are they explaining the DNA match if it wasn't the Tsar and his family (or most of them).

LaRae

Perhaps the DNA samples were taken from the bones and not the heads? BTW There are some theories, that the heads were taken to Moscow back then, right after the murders. I did read this today in the german public televison news.
https://www.mdr.de/zeitreise/hundert-jahre-ermordung-zarenfamilie-romanow-100.html

in english (Google Translator)
Google Translate

And this is of importance, since elements in the Russian Church have a theory about a ritual murder.

Last edited:
The anniversary is only hours away now (atleast according to my local time) and I find myself strangely affected by it. Although morally wrong I can understand the political necessity of executing the former Tsar and his wife, but what really gets to me is the horrible way in which the five children met their end.
Innocently butchered for the alleged crimes of their parents.

Just the other day my mother was mentioning the assassinations of a Russian royal family in 1918. She was telling me about this during Trumps arrival to Windsor Castle. She had no idea that I knew about the Russian royal family and that she was talking about The Queen’s family members. She was shocked that I knew all of this.

A religious procession marking the centenary of the execution of the Russian royal family in Yekaterinburg

Belga Image

The anniversary is only hours away now (atleast according to my local time) and I find myself strangely affected by it...

I made a post about the anniversary on my facebook page because I felt like I wanted to acknowledge the event had happened on the day 100 years ago.

Last prayer of the Romanovs

On behalf of a monastry has Helen Rappaport, the known historian, made a "tribute" video largely about the spirituality and - and that is the interesting part - the last church service of the Imperial nuclear Family... already in captivity and shortly before their execution:"Romanov Family - Faith in God to the End".

I think it is a bit over the top. Nevertheless interesting!

A religious procession in memory of the Imperial Family was held from the Church of All Saints in Yekaterinburg to the Ganina Yama Monastery in the Sverdlovsk Region today, July 17. Princess Olga Nikolaevna Kulikovskaya-Romanova participated:

** belga gallery **

The anniversary is only hours away now (atleast according to my local time) and I find myself strangely affected by it. Although morally wrong I can understand the political necessity of executing the former Tsar and his wife, but what really gets to me is the horrible way in which the five children met their end.
Innocently butchered for the alleged crimes of their parents.

The murder of the children was horrifying but I understand the reasoning: the Bolsheviks did not have a firm grip on power. The children would have been a threat, even in exile, because a substantial number of Russians would have supported their return.

With the respect to the parents, it was a brutal execution but they were brutal dictators. Nicolas and Alexandra (to a lesser degree) were responsible for the deaths of thousands and the misery of millions.

The real tragedy is that the government that replaced the royal family was even more brutal and merciless. The Russians have suffered a lot throughout history.

Could George V have done more to save his first cousins and their family or would it be truly impossible to rescue them ?

How come so many members of the Imperial Family managed to flee from Russia ( including the Tsar’s mother, i.e. Queen Alexandra's sister) , but the Tsar himself , his wife and children could not ?

My view is that once Tsar Nicholas and his family were ensconced in Siberia it was virtually impossible to rescue them unless large numbers of the army of the White Russians had managed to get to Ekaterinberg sooner.

And why is the responsibility for the fate of the Imperial Family so often laid on the shoulders of King George V? The Tsar and Tsarina did have other close relatives and friends in the other royal families of Europe, such as the German Royal family. Why did the Kaiser not enter negotiations with the Bolsheviks to rescue them?

Several Romanovs managed to escape because they were in other parts of the country, near borders or Black Sea ports. The Dowager Empress Marie for example travelled from the Crimea to the Black Sea with her daughter and other relatives and she and her retinue were rescued by the Royal Navy. HMS Marlborough took them to safety. Siberia on the other hand was extremely difficult.

Tsarina Alexandra's brother was Grand Duke Ernest Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine. I believe that he tried negotiations that were unsuccessful.

Ernie didn't have enough international clout. If blame is to be attached to King George then why not to the Kaiser? He, after all was Alexandra's first cousin. He could possibly have made the safety of the Tsarina and her children a priority during the Brest-Litovsk treaty negotiations early in 1918. It's known that German authorities allowed Lenin to enter Russia by providing him with safe passage through Germany. They could have organised transport for Alexandra and her children to a safe neutral Scandinavian country.

Last edited:
They could have organised transport for Alexandra and her children to a safe neutral Scandinavian country.

I highly suspect that the Scandinavian countries would have been hesitant to take them in. Sweden at least was close to a revolution itself during 1917 and 1918 and having the Tsar and his family in the country might've been the spark to ignite the fire.
That said the three Scandinavian kings were all sympathetic to the attempts of King Alfonso XIII of Spain to rescue the Imperial family and would no doubt have offered any assistance possible had it been successful, but would not have been willing to give them refuge. Regarding other members of the Imperial family Queen Alexandrine of Denmark was desperate in her unsuccessful attempts to save her uncles and Sweden took in Elizaveta Mavrikievna and the few of her children and grandchildren that survived the revolution. Norwegian diplomats months later managed to secure the release of her daughter-in-law Elena Petrovna.

My view is that once Tsar Nicholas and his family were ensconced in Siberia it was virtually impossible to rescue them unless large numbers of the army of the White Russians had managed to get to Ekaterinberg sooner.

And why is the responsibility for the fate of the Imperial Family so often laid on the shoulders of King George V? The Tsar and Tsarina did have other close relatives and friends in the other royal families of Europe, such as the German Royal family. Why did the Kaiser not enter negotiations with the Bolsheviks to rescue them?

Several Romanovs managed to escape because they were in other parts of the country, near borders or Black Sea ports. The Dowager Empress Marie for example travelled from the Crimea to the Black Sea with her daughter and other relatives and she and her retinue were rescued by the Royal Navy. HMS Marlborough took them to safety. Siberia on the other hand was extremely difficult.
True that wehen they were in Siberia it was going to be almost impossible to rescue them. But there was also an issue of what to do with them. Most royal families in Europe had their own problems and knew that to take in the autocratic Tsar and his family might provoke bad feelng and even maybe revolution at home.. so the problem was if they were rescued.. where would they be sent permanently.

A religious procession in memory of the Imperial Family was held from the Church of All Saints in Yekaterinburg to the Ganina Yama Monastery in the Sverdlovsk Region today, July 17. Princess Olga Nikolaevna Kulikovskaya-Romanova participated:** belga gallery **

I think it is interesting, that so many folks participate in this procession!

And this after decades of communist lies and indoctrination. The Russians seem not to be ready to let go...

My take: The Romanovs were just the first family eradicated by the communists, but they became the symbol for the horrors of the "revolution".

I didn't actually mean that any of the Scandinavian countries would be giving them permanent refuge. Simply that getting them out and into nearby Sweden for a very short time would be viable at least. Alfonzo had in fact offered them sanctuary in Spain and that would have been their ultimate destination.

I didn't actually mean that any of the Scandinavian countries would be giving them permanent refuge. Simply that getting them out and into nearby Sweden for a very short time would be viable at least. Alfonzo had in fact offered them sanctuary in Spain and that would have been their ultimate destination.

\True, I think that the nearby countries should have done a bit more.. to just take tehm in temporarily.. but they clearly feared that it would be a problem with their own people. And poissibly they did not anticpate the real ruthlessness of the Bolsheviks.. and thought tat they'd just keep the IF prisoners for a time and then eventualy be ready to send them abroad..

Empress Feodorovna spent her last years in Denmark after living in the UK for a while. But her circumstances were of course different given that she was Danish herself and a Princess of Denmark.

I am not sure if Denmark would have taken the Tsar and his family, but, in any case, they could have always settled eventually in a truly neutral country like Switzerland, which was a refuge for many deposed monarchs. As for the political inconvenience of granting asylum to the Tsar, keep in mind that the Netherlands took in the Kaiser, the man who, justifiably or not, was largely blamed for World War I and all the terrible consequences thereof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom