Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is the way the russian newspapers speak about Grand Duke George?
The official papers do not speak much of them,only official visits and duties.Unfortunately,they are not well-known from the human point of view,their portray is rather official.Many people do not completely understand why Grand Duke George is the legitimate heir.I wish Grand Duke George will carry out more engagements in Russia,as the representation and support of charitable organizations for example.

Obviously they are not very present in Russia and maybe that's why people do not see them if not officially.

... to the 400 th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty (2013)

The long article "Authorities prepares Russia for the restoration of the monarchy to the 400 th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty" was published on May 5 this year in the well-known Russian online edition «Free Press»:
Ðîññèþ ãîòîâÿò ê ïðèõîäó öàðÿ íà 400-ëåòèå Äîìà Ðîìàíîâûõ
Article authors argue that in 1996-1998, Boris Yeltsin instructed Deputy Prime Minister (and chairman of the Governmental Commission for the reburial of "the Ekaterinburg remains") Boris Nemtsov to develop a plan for restoration of constitutional monarchy (with decorative tzar 15-year George (son of G.D. Maria Vladimirovna,), but later Yeltsin rejected the plan when other advisors (not Boris Nemtsov) explained to him the dubious of the right of the son of Maria Vladimirovna to Russian imperial throne.
Article authors write also: "In 2013, the Russian government is going splendidly glorify 400 th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty. In a political lobby say, that this anniversary date can be used as an excuse to restore the monarchy in the country, albeit in truncated form - headed by an Emperor with decorative functions ". The article tells also about all the possible contenders to the Russian throne, including the British Windsors (Prince Charles (son of Greek Duke Philip), and Michael of Kent, and even the young Prince Harry).
Director of the Office of the Romanov House (Alexander Zakatov) says in the article on the order of succession in terms of the Romanov House (the point of view of G.D. Maria Vladimirovna).
Indeed, perhaps, the Putin's Kremlin is considering various plans to restore the constitutional monarchy (in this case, decorative tzar, with the continuation of Putin's real power) - in the case if the social tensions and discontent of the people against the current government will rise sharply.

The authors also refer to a British newspaper "The Daily Mail" which recently published a long article with the comments on the article of A.Baulin (О свадьбе принца Уильяма и необходимости монархии в России - Александр Баунов - Блоггеры - Slon.ru), - about which I described in a previous post.

Last edited:
Only Grand Duchess Maria and her son can be put bon the Throne .The russians won't accept a fopreign prince.

Only Grand Duchess Maria and her son can be put bon the Throne .The russians won't accept a fopreign prince.
The situation is that some of Russians consider even Grand Duchess Maria and her son George foreigners,as they weren't born and raised in Russia.It would be better to present them more on TV (special programmes etc.)

Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George were both educated as russians by Grand Duke Vladimir.

Dearest Cory, let me -- Russian -- make my modest own decision whom to consider Russian.:)
Most of Russians do not feel Maria Vladimirovna and her son to be of Russian ethnicity, whatever Maria Vladimirovna claims in her interviews. Her contacts with Vatican made her no good PR among the Orthodox Russian people too.

The Romanovs are thoroughly German, not Russian. Given Maria married a Hohenzollern and her son is a Prince of Prussia, I doubt very much the average Russian on the street is too enamoured of the idea of restoring her or George to the throne.

Someone asked if I would give up my job and become Kitty the Great I. I said "no thanks.":queen:

Just kidding, of course. Thank you all for this most informative thread. I've never had much interest in things Russe, but now I do.

The long article "Authorities prepares Russia for the restoration of the monarchy to the 400 th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty" was published on May 5 this year in the well-known Russian online edition «Free Press»:
Ðîññèþ ãîòîâÿò ê ïðèõîäó öàðÿ íà 400-ëåòèå Äîìà Ðîìàíîâûõ ... [snipped]
Thanks for the article!
I find some facts about a possible restoration quite intriguing. The fact that Prince Michael of Kent was considered as a serious candidate to be crowned in 2005-06 came as total surprise. At the same time, comments on the article are negative as usual.

Last edited:
And really, are any of the current monarchs considered native to their countries other than by the chance of birth? There was so much mingling of German, Russian, Danish, Swedish, British, Romanian, etc. blood among the crowned heads that if a country wishes to put someone on the throne, its citizens can choose whomever they wish to see upon the throne.

And really, are any of the current monarchs considered native to their countries other than by the chance of birth? There was so much mingling of German, Russian, Danish, Swedish, British, Romanian, etc. blood among the crowned heads that if a country wishes to put someone on the throne, its citizens can choose whomever they wish to see upon the throne.

There is so much more to one's nationality, ethnic and cultural identity than mere bloodlines. What you say about the Romanovs may be correct but they ruled Russia for generations, they are culturally and otherwise Russian. Same with any other family who have been on the thrones of their countries for a long time.

It's only been more talked about in the cases of Romania, Bulgaria and Greece where royal families were imported, in contrast to Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Georgia.

In my opinion it makes no sense to restore a monarchy with a family other than the one that had been deposed in the first place.

I suppose it is normal Grand Duchess Maria visited the Vatican.She is orthodox but opened to the dialogue.

I suppose it is normal Grand Duchess Maria visited the Vatican.She is orthodox but opened to the dialogue.
The Royal Forums is not the right place to discuss the religion questions, nevertheless I can't but say that it's the Russian Orthodox Church and the Patriarch, not Maria Vladimirovna, to choose time for dialogue between the confessions.
Bad timing though.

It was announced at the time of the visit that Grand Duchess Maria was given the blessing of the Patriarch prior to her meeting with the Pope.

I can't understand somebody who is astonished a Head of an Imperial Family visited the Pope (who is also a Head of State).Grand Duchess Maria did very well what she dit and she is in very good terms with the Russian Orthodox Patriarch.

There is so much more to one's nationality, ethnic and cultural identity than mere bloodlines. What you say about the Romanovs may be correct but they ruled Russia for generations, they are culturally and otherwise Russian. Same with any other family who have been on the thrones of their countries for a long time.

It's only been more talked about in the cases of Romania, Bulgaria and Greece where royal families were imported, in contrast to Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Georgia.

In my opinion it makes no sense to restore a monarchy with a family other than the one that had been deposed in the first place.

That's a good point, David V. Do you think that maybe the Russians, if the poll is to be believed, do not want a Romanov back in the Winter Palace but instead would like to see some other royal family placed on the throne?

Both the russian authorities and the russian orthodoc Chuch recognize Grand Duchess Maria as the only Head of the Imperial Family.

Indeed the idea of restoration is not so absurd.
Of course Romanovs will not have the Kremlin or Petergof returned to them and they will not rule in Glory and Splendour.And will not have thousands of servants like in previous centuries.
It would be more a Constitutional Monarchy ,where the Tsar would be something like the German or Austrian president,definitely not get involved in every day politics,but more like a symbolic spiritual leader,like HM the King of Thailand.

That would be the ideal outcome, and if it comes to be, I'll be glad to see another Russian tradition return. However, to me, the bigger question is this; can that country really take on an Imperial Family, and will the general public be supportive and welcoming to the idea? I would hate to see a repeat of 1917/18 rear its' ugly head when things all of a sudden start getting difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing they need is a Tsar. And, 1917/18, happened, not because things got difficult during those years, it was because the Romanovs had no idea what the people needed and what life was like for anyone, but themselves. It was the culimnation of years of repression and hatred.

It was the culimnation of years of repression and hatred.

Something that has been constantly ignored. Maria is too presumptuous and greedy and eager for a position she has no business pushing herself into. The position does not even exist. The Romanovs didn't listen, Nicholas blew every chance to ease things, and the Russian people were a driving force behind the revolution. It wasn't just students, but it was the people themselves.

Didnt Vladimir lose his rights on any claim to the Imperial Throne because he betrayed the Imperial family and abandoned them? I'm pretty sure that act alone disqualifies him and as a result his descendants. Rostislav is a descendant of Xenia and therefore is closer in relation to Nicholas II.
And as for morganatic marriages, isn't hard to get the sovereigns permission to marry when there is no sovereign? Plus such an 18th century idea about marriage has no place in the 21st century.

it was kryill not his son who was said to have standed down his army and wore a red arm band when the provisnail government needed them
also kept asking stalin for returing to russia as communism and tsarism together
also the co de ta her great grand mother was trying to plan in 1916 lil bits here and there people forget
also its the same argueemnt she uses agasint her cousins why not bring her diry laundry up too if we sticking to the 19 centry paul 1 law

Last edited:
Isn't it through Cyril that the present Vladimirovichi get their claim? So if that same Cyril betrayed the family he loses any claim to the throne and that disqualifies his descendants as well including his son, granddaughter, and great grandson. Plus it seems like both the Vladimirovichi and Nicholaevichi are playing pick and choose with what laws they want to go by that gives them a claim. Maria's father was not the official holder of any title of Tsar so how can he change the succession law to suit the fact that he has no son?

Didnt Vladimir lose his rights on any claim to the Imperial Throne because he betrayed the Imperial family and abandoned them? .
The family is divided on that. Those that support Kyril said he HAD to wear the red band and march for the bolshies to save his (and his familes) hide. (If I remember correctly, wasn't Ducky pregnant at that time?) Those that don't say they would rather have died than wear red.

Grand Duke Kirill was recognized by the members of the Imperial Family as Head of the Romanov Imperial House in exile.His son Grand Duke Vladimir succeeded him as Head of the Imperial Family.At the moment of the death of Grand Duke Vladimir Grand Duchess Maria succeeded respecting the Rules of the Imperial Family.

Dynastic Succession

http://www.riuo.org/SUCCESSION_ENGLISH.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Which russian political parties are in favour of the constitutional Monarchy?

Back
Top Bottom