Members of the Extended Romanov Family, past and present

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that's interesting! I wonder if that ranking had anything to do with Willy wanting to take over the world??
Thanks Warren for being patient with us Yanks! :flowers:

Being #1 on this list wouldn't have been enough for Willy. He didn't have the autocrat's power of a Russian Tsar, nor the international standing and prestige of a British Monarch. So he had to make up for it by throwing his weight around as best he could, eg placing his newly-widowed mother under house arrest, and Tangier. :D

Also, this precedence only held true if all three were at some other location. If they were in England King George would have ranked first, the same sort of thing holds true for Germany and Russia.

I love your comment about Willy, Warren. Though I think his placing the Dowager Empress under house arrest had more to do with her attempts to undermine him with "evil liberalism" than his desire to throw his weight arround.

Does anyone have any information regarding Grand Duchess Olga's granddaughter Xenia Nielsen? She seems so nice and one can see Empress Marie ever so slightly in her face!

HH Michael Andreivich Romanov, who was the grandson of Zenia, passed away yesterday aged 88.
He lived his later years in Australia.

From the Sydney Morning Herald, 25 September 2008

Death Notice

ROMANOFF, Prince Michael Andreevich

September 22, 2008, late of Double Bay [Sydney]. Darling husband of Giulia.
Loved stepfather to Daniel, sister-in-law Sue and her family.
Dear brother of Andrew and Olga. Aged 88 years.

Relatives, friends and members of the Sovereign Order of St John of Jerusalem
are invited to attend the funeral service of Prince Michael to be held at the
Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul, Strathfield [Sydney] on Tuesday September 30 2008.

Following on, the cortege will leave for a Thanksgiving Service to be held at St James Church, Sydney at 1.30pm.
(Members of the Order: mantles and collarets to be worn).

On conclusion the cortege will proceed for the Interment at Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park at Botany.

Michael Andrejevitch Romanov(ski) died on September 22nd, he was 88 years. Prince Michael was the son of Prince Andrej Alexandrovitch of Russia and Dona Elisabetta Ruffo of the princes of Sant’Antimo.

The funeral service will be held on September 30th at the SS Peter & Paul church in Sydney.

Article in Dutch here.

On the same night that Michael Andrejevitch Romanov died, his 1st cousin prince Michael Feodorovitch Romanov also died, in Paris. He was the son of prince Feodor of Russia and Princess Irina Paley (morganatic branch of the Russian Imp. family). He is the grandson of Grand Duke Alexander Michaelovitch of Russia and Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna of Russia and of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovitch and Olga Karnovitch.

Prince Michael F. was married twice. He first married Helga Staufenberger. With whom he got a son, Michael (who died in 2001). In 1994 married Maria de las Mercedes Ustrell-Cabani. Now here is where it gets complicated, Maria de las Mercedes got a daughter of Michael F's son, Michael in 1986, called Tatiana. The girl was later adopted by her stepfather & grandfather.

:imperialrussia:
Two cousins passing away within hours of eachother.

Prince Michael Andreivich in Australia,Prince Michael Feodorovich (1923 - 2008),(known by his surname Romanov de Russie in France),
passed away in Paris,France,also on september 22nd.

How very sad.My thoughts are with the families.

Xenia Nielsen (Kulikovsky) is a retired postman (erm.. -woman :)) and lives with her husband in a suburb south of Copenhagen. AFAIK she has four children from three marriages and a number of grand children.

She keeps herself out of the media most of the time; I' ve read somewhere that she gives the occasional talk on the life of her grand mother! The last time she was in the news was at the preview of a big auction of Olga paintings and "Olganiana" in late 2007.

I found a press photo from 2003, when there was an exhibition about
the house of Glücksburg at a gallery (run con amore!) not so
far from my place.

A number of lesser known descendants of King Christian IX attended
the opening. Xenia Kulikovsky Nielsen is left.

Fyens Stiftstidende - Middelfart

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a link to a big genealogy tree (I think Warren put it in there) and it seemed the Romanovs had quite a few husbands and wives between them.

Winnipeg bride marries her prince

Article in the "National Post" Canada.

"Prince Alex Galitzine-- 613th in line for the British throne -- prepared for his wedding.
And when he wed Lisa Boyachuk, a nursing student from Winnipeg, in a traditional Russian Orthodox wedding last night, she became a princess."

Nobody has any recent pics of the young princes/ss who were born in the 80's?

Prince Dmitry Romanov visits Imperial Cathedral in St Petersburg

The grand grandson of the Russian Emperor Nicolas I visited Fyodor’s Imperial Cathedral (Fedorovsky Sobor) in St. Petersburg on Sunday. The 83-year prince arrived in Russia’s northern capital to participate in events commemorating the 91st anniversary of the death of the last Russian Emperor Nicholas II and his family. ITAR-TASS

I think its great to see young Prince Rostislav Rostislavovich taking an interest his heritage and looking to learn Russian.

Romanov-Yourievsky

Do any members or visitors know of a reliable published biography of Georgii Aleksandrovich Yourievsky (sometimes written: Yurievsky) born St Petersburg 1872, died Marburg 1913, or his son Aleksander 1901 - 1988.

I have personal childhood memories of His Seren Highness The Prince Yourievsky
(Aleksander Georgiivich) who resided in England from the 1930s to the late 1950s, before removing to Switzerland.

Georgii Aleksandrovich Yourievsky was the son of Emperor Aleksander II by his morganatic marriage to The Princess Ekaterina Mihailovna of the illustrious princely Dolgoruky family.

Why should we diminish a title (the Countess Dvinskaya) because someone arbitrarily decides it is just a courtesy title. Legally all noble titles are by courtesy of their sovereign lord.

Pss Natalia Romanoff and her mother pss Sveva, neè countess della Gherardesca were at a party in Rome for a doc about fashion-designer Valentino. MATASHA ROMANOF CON MAMMA

grand dukes

I've noticed that many of the grand dukes have been speculated to have been gay. What's with that?

I heard that Felix Yussopouv was rumored to be gay, or at least bi-sexual, but I don't think he was a Grand Duke, just a prince. Alexandra's brother was gay but he was Grand Duke of Hesse, not a Russian Grand Duke. Which Russian Grand Dukes were considered gay?

Felix was also the only one I could think off & he's not a Grand Duke as you said.

Prince Yusupov was known to be at least bisexual, and it was rumoured that one of his partners was Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovic.

Grand Duke Serge was thought to be gay, though it was never proven. The one who wrote about his gayness--for lack of a better word, was Grand Duke Constantine Constanovitch, also known as "KR."
Dmitry ran with Felix though I doubt he was gay. He was very much in love with Mischa's wife, Countess Brassov. (See the Crawfords book Michael and Natasha.)
Though does it matter who was gay and who wasn't? Really?

Wasn't Grand Duke Constantine Constanovitch (aka KR) homosexual? Isn't that why in his will he stated that his diaries were not to be made public/read for 99 years??

Wasn't Grand Duke Constantine Constanovitch (aka KR) homosexual? Isn't that why in his will he stated that his diaries were not to be made public/read for 99 years??
Yes, he was though he fathered 9 children. He really did his duty, so to speak. . . . :whistling:

For sure... and it seems that, despite him being gay, he loved his wife and she him.... and he "tried hard" not to fall off the wagon...

No, it doesn't matter who was gay or not, just great to realize that the royals are made up of different people just like us poor commoners. I don't think anyone meant to disparage a gay royal, I certainly did not.

The only reason why it's interesting is because it fleshes out the historical person. You understand "Oh yes, this is why he did thus and such." I just don't understand why people single it out. KR was a fasincating person and Grand Duke first--and foremost, and he just happened to be gay.

Back
Top Bottom