Members of the Extended Romanov Family, past and present

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

CountessofLuxembourg

Is there by chance any single Russian Princes?

Actually, I've been looking (in vain, so far) for a recent photo of the Grand Duke Georgi Romanov. Does any one have such a photo, either to post or to e-mail to me?

Thanks!

There is a full page photo of Grand Duke Georgi in the September issue of Vanity Fair.

Yes of course. The most young and single Princes Romanov are:

Prince Theodore (Fedor) Nikitich Romanov. Born 30 Nov 1974. Descendant of Xenia Alexandrovna, Grand Duchess, daughter of Alexander III.
Prince Daniel Joseph Nikolaievich Romanov. Born 19 mar 1972.
Prince Nicholas Christopher Nikolaievich Romanov. Born 30 jul 1968. Divorced.
Prince Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov. Born 21 may 1985.
Prince Nikita Rostislavovich Romanov. Born 24 jan 1987. Also Descendants of Xenia Alexandrovna.

Grand Duke Georgi Mihailovich (Von Hohenzollern-) Romanov. Born 13 mar 1981.
Descendant of Vladimir Alexandrovich, son of Alexander II.

Prince Georgi Alexandrovich Jurievski. Born 8 dec 1961. Descendant of a Prince with the same name, ilegitimate son of Alexander II.

Also exist, other descendants of Romanov Family but they not have title.

:eek: There is also a line from Grand duches Olga later Queen of Greece!!Soon I shall post further information!!!!

Originally posted by moody@Jan 27th, 2004 - 2:20 pm
:eek:  There is also a line from Grand duches Olga later Queen of Greece!!Soon I shall postt further information!!!!
Few, if any of her descendants, qualify, as they do not meet the Russian Imperial House Law requirments. Apart from the Kyrilovichi, the last male Romanov dynast was Prince Basil. Afer him the (hypothetical) Crown would pass to the line of his nearest female Romanov relative who met the criteria. That would be the line of Anastasia Mihailovna, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg (even though she was the daughter of a younger brother of Olga's father). However, her descendants too do not qualify. thus today there are only two dynasts: Maria Vladimirovna and George Mihailovich. Vera Constantinova (niece of Queen Olga) died a couple of years ago, and Princess Ekatrina Ionovna (daughter of Ion Constantinovich and Helen of Serbia) renounced her rights at the time of marriage.

The likes of Nicholas Romanov et al. have no legitimate claim.

This is pure "Blue blood" line!None is lesser than a the rank of 'Prince'But...Iam not sure that anyone of the young Princes would like to go to Russia!!!

Originally posted by moody@Feb 7th, 2004 - 9:51 am
This is pure "Blue blood" line!None is lesser than a the rank of 'Prince'But...Iam not sure that anyone of the young Princes would like to go to Russia!!!
It is "pure blood line" but a very junior line. And it is in the female line boot. For these and other reasons they don't meet the criteria set out in the Russian Imperial House Law.

:( Please show me,a "senior" blue blood line,of Orthodox doctrine,that is closer to the criteria of the Imperial house!

Question is the Imperial's house roules criteria the only measure ????

I mean that The All-Russia Empire now has sufficient geographical borders so ,and when royalty will be eshtablished again,it will be more than a huge Kingdom with cirtain administration format e.t.c,e.t.c.

Yes, the house laws are what one needs to follow when deciding who becomes the monarch. That's why the Royal Houses have them, to keep things orderly and to make sure that the lines of succession are clear and without contraversy. It's a shame some peopledon't believe that and ignore the House laws. It would end soo many arguments!

Fireweaver ,dear,reread my question!When the events has happened in 1917,Russia was an empire!!Thus her borders were expanding in some places,so it was the imperial law of succesion!!Maybe now they can energise par example the Salic Law(If I am not mistaken) so it will be other criteria.......

Unless the head of the house changes the laws, the rules stay as they are, therefore succession cannot change. So, you're stuck with what's there. Grandduchess Maria and her son.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Feb 10th, 2004 - 11:15 am
Unless the head of the house changes the laws, the rules stay as they are, therefore succession cannot change. So, you're stuck with what's there. Grandduchess Maria and her son.
Indeed. Although one could even argue that the Head of the House can not substantially change the laws. Since the monarchy is no longer in effect the head of the house derives his/her legitimacy from the pre-existing laws from themonarchial era. I think I cited some examples before.

Cuervo, I still don't completely understand what you're trying to ask/say. In any case, I think Fireweaver have already provided sufficient answers (several times now).

Originally posted by Princess_Elizaveta@Sep 11th, 2003 - 10:43 pm
Yikes! Relax, will ya! So his is not fully Russian....Nobody's perfect! :innocent: ;)
and Juan Carlos was born in Italy then lived in Portugal/ Lisbon .. so they are all from somewhere's else.. its ok .. brings cohesion throughout Europe..

There is dispute to who is the real heir of the Imperial throne.

Grand Duke Vladimir and his wife (whom some believe has a falsified royal pedigree from Georgia) only had one daughter, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. Grand Duke Vladmir issued a decree riding the Imperial House of the Salic Law allowing his daughter to be the heir. Many Russian royals disagree with the Proclamation and consider the Grand Duchess ineligible. Thus the throne would pass to the next highest Prince who was Nicholas Romanov until he passed on.

Yes, according to the Russian imperial rules, Prince Georgiy does not qualify for a throne because Emperor Paul established a law according to which the throne could only go to male decendents of the Romanov family. I guess he was really annoyed by the fact that his mother continued to rule the counry long after he reached an appropriate age. The law was one of the major reasons Nicholas II and his wife were so anxious to have a son!

Other Current and Recent Members of the Extended Romanov Family

Artice about Xenia's grandson

Romanov to return to Russia
[size=-1]
October 14 2002

Prince Alexander Romanov, Great-grandson of Tsar, Alexander III, 1929-2002

Prince Alexander Romanov, who has died aged 72, was a great-grandson of Tsar Alexander III of Russia and the first member of the imperial family to return to Russia after the 1918 revolution.

The trip took place in 1961. As a British subject living in England and working in London, Prince Alexander was able to obtain a visa to join a group of tourists with a special interest in art and architecture. He went first to Moscow, landing at an airfield on land which had belonged to his mother's cousins, the Sheremetyevo family.

When he visited the Kremlin, he was struck by how then president Nikita Khrushchev lived but a stone's throw from the crowns and coronation robes of the Romanovs on display in the old armoury. He also visited the country estate to which his uncle by marriage, Prince Felix Youssoupoff, was banished after the murder of Rasputin.

A great lover of pre-18th-century icons, Alexander was disappointed that Moscow had only "commission shops where people bring some of their miserable possessions to be sold".

Alexander then visited St Petersburg, which reminded him of "a stage from which the actors had long departed, or a ballroom after the music had stopped and the dancers had gone".

He felt acutely that he did not belong; yet many of the Russian people, learning who he was, inquired in genuine ignorance as to the fate of the emperor and his family, and were surprised to be told that they had perished.

The visit was not entirely without controversy. Grand Duke Vladimir, the soi-disant head of the Russian imperial house, fired off an angry letter claiming that Alexander was the child of a morganatic marriage, who should be called Prince Romanovsky; that he was therefore not a member of the imperial house, nor in any sense an heir of the tsar.

Prince Alexander had a particular interest in his family's history, due to the many years he spent with his grandmother, Grand Duchess Xenia, at Wilderness House, Hampton Court. She filled his mind from an early age with vivid descriptions of life at the imperial court.

Alexander, the youngest son of Prince Nikita Romanov and his wife, Maria Woronzow-Dasch-
kow, was born in Paris.

His father was the third son of Grand Duke Alexander of Russia and his wife, Xenia, the elder of two sisters of the last tsar of Russia, Nicholas II.

Alexander's elder brother, Nikita Romanov, became a historian who co-wrote the life of Ivan the Terrible in 1975. The young Alexander spent his early years in England, and became a British citizen in 1938. But the outbreak of World War II found him stuck in France with his parents; unable to return to Britain, they took him to Rome, where they had relatives.

In 1942 his mother reported that he was at school cleverer than his elder brother and "very quiet in movements and mind". He already spoke five languages and was working hard at geography, history and philosophy. Tall for his age, he was also, according to his mother, "kind by heart, punctual, tidy and very affectionate".

The family then moved to Czechoslovakia.

Alexander returned to Britain in 1945, before attending Columbia University, New York. In 1953 he became the constant companion to his grandmother, Grand Duchess Xenia, at Wilderness House, a grace and favour residence lent to her by King George VI.

Alexander remained with her until her death in 1961, and was a constant source of light relief to her, even coping with the sinister Mother Martha, a Russian Orthodox nun who had moved in with the grand duchess and all but controlled access to her.

Alexander was present when the author James Pope-Hennessy came to visit the grand duchess in 1957 to prise from her some memories of Queen Mary for his authorised biography.

Pope-Hennessy observed a "tall, pallid youth with a permanent smile", but the visit was not an unqualified success, since Mother Martha contrived to terminate the proceedings just as the author and the grand duchess were relaxing into an interesting conversation.

During these years Alexander helped his grandmother raise funds for a new Russian Orthodox Church in Exile, after their church in Buckingham Palace Road was demolished.

In 1955 he presided over a "bachelors' ball" at the Hyde Park Hotel, in which bachelors reciprocated hospitality extended to them during the season.

After Xenia's death, Alexander had to move out of Wilderness House and he began to divide his time between New York and London. In 1971 he married a beautiful Sicilian jewellery designer, Donna Maria (Mimi) de Niscemi, who survives him.

When in New York, they were much feted, Alexander enjoying parties almost as much as the long hours he spent alone in the New York Public Library delving into many aspects of history.

[/size]

Are there still alot of Romanovs in Russia? I'm very interested in the last Tsar and his family, and the Anastasia mystery. I know almost everything about them, but I wasn't aware that there were still so many Romanovs.

tiaraprin said:
Thus the throne would pass to the next highest Prince who was Nicholas Romanov until he passed on.

His status as Prince is certainly be debated, and he is most certainly not the highest (except in his own mind ;-))

Sean.~ said:
His status as Prince is certainly be debated, and he is most certainly not the highest (except in his own mind ;-))

Actually, most of the family is styled in appropriately. There was no such thing as a "Prince/Princess Romanov" in Imperial times. Either you were a grandchild of the Tsar styled as Prince/Princess of Russia (Royal Highness) or a great-grandchild styled as Prince/Princess of Russia (Highness). And this status could only be held if your parents had made an equal marriage as approved by the Tsar.

Morganatic descendants (including Nicholas Romanov) were granted a new title, usually a Prince/Princess Romanovsky-Other Name, with the style of Serene Highness. Some members of the family did seek titles from Grand Duke Cyril or Grand Duke Vladimir when they married, others did not.

Exactly. I posted this in this thread or one of the other Romanov threads sometime ago. AFAIC, Nicholas Romanov is nothing more than a self-important megalomaniac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean.~ said:
Exactly. I posted this in this thread or one of the other Romanov threads sometime ago. AFAIC, Nicholas Romanov is nothing more than a self-important megalomaniac.

HIH Grand Duchess Xenia of Russia, sister of Tsar Nicholas II, when questioned in the late 1950's by a British writer as to her "princely grandsons", stated she did not consider any of them to be royal or a Prince of Russia because they were all morganatic under the Imperial House Laws.

If the Grand Duchess didn't believe her own grandchildren were imperial dynasts or princes of Russia, it's hard to imagine how the other Romanov descendants could be royal either.

does anyone have any information about Prince Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov of Russia? Any pics too?

I have searched and searched but there is nothing nada zip of the prince Rostislav rostislavovich Romanov!! Supposedly he was born in the 1980's but I don't know.... (mystery) anyway does anyone know of any young teen princes of europe that are around 16 or 17? If so please post thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Blondebeauty. I only know of HIH Grand Duchess Maria's son, who is Hohenzollern-Romanoff.

branchg said:
Actually, most of the family is styled in appropriately. There was no such thing as a "Prince/Princess Romanov" in Imperial times. Either you were a grandchild of the Tsar styled as Prince/Princess of Russia (Royal Highness) or a great-grandchild styled as Prince/Princess of Russia (Highness). And this status could only be held if your parents had made an equal marriage as approved by the Tsar.

Morganatic descendants (including Nicholas Romanov) were granted a new title, usually a Prince/Princess Romanovsky-Other Name, with the style of Serene Highness. Some members of the family did seek titles from Grand Duke Cyril or Grand Duke Vladimir when they married, others did not.

I stand corrected slightly on the style and title of the imperial dynasts. Children and grandchildren in the male line of the Tsar were Grand Duke/Duchess with the style Imperial Highness, while great-grandchildren in the male line were styled Prince/Princess of Russia with the style of Highness (a qualification that continued to be passed down to each eldest male of the next generation). All other descendants in the male line were Prince/Princess of Russia with the style of Serene Highness (provided, of course, that equal marriages were made by all under the Pauline Laws).

Unequal, but honorable marriages to a person of good standing, were accepted but new morganatic styles were granted to the spouse and children (i.e. HSH Princess Romanovsky-Ilinsky) by the Tsar or Head of the House. Other marriages were never granted a princely morganatic style, but usually created morganatic count/countess styles.

His dad Rostislav Rostislavinovich ROMANOV "Rosti" was born Dec 3, 1938 he died January 13, 1999 in London, he lived in Chicago, Illinios. He married Christia IPSEN on August 16, 1980. He was also married to Stephena Cook on Sept 9, 1960 they divorced in 1978.

He and Christia had:
sister: Alexandrea Rostislavovna Romanov in 1983
Ratislav in 1985: he was born in Lake Forest, Illinios
sister: Nikita Rostislavovich in 1987

He had a daughter with Stephena named Stephena Alexandra Rostislavovna

that is all I know..right now. I can't find a pic sorry.

Last edited:
Australian Romanov

We have a Romanov Prince living here in Sydney: Prince Michael Andrejevitch (b 1920).

Warren said:
We have a Romanov Prince living here in Sydney: Prince Michael Andrejevitch (b 1920).

Warren, is that the same Michael Andrejevitch that was mentioned as being the real head of the Imperial Family, that is if Maria Vladimirovna was excluded from succession?:)

Back
Top Bottom