Members of the Extended Romanov Family, past and present

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so proud that there's a new great-great grandson of Alexander II of Russia is defending his rights in being on of the house heads. With Maria and Nicholas Romanov.
It's his HRH, Rani Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia.

I'm so proud that there's a new great-great grandson of Alexander II of Russia is defending his rights in being on of the house heads. With Maria and Nicholas Romanov.
It's his HRH, Rani Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia.

More information please ;) I have never heard of the grand duke.

There are no Grand Dukes of Russia any more.

There are no Grand Dukes of Russia any more.

Yes there are. Maria Vladimirovna is a Grand Duchess as well as her son is a Grand Duke.

Descendants of people who were close to the throne such as Alexander II issues, are all supposed to have the titles of Grand Duke or HIH/HRH Grand Duke/Grand Duchess.

Anything will do to keep some people happy. The Grand Duke/Duchess title seems to be very cheap now.

Anything will do to keep some people happy. The Grand Duke/Duchess title seems to be very cheap now.

I absolutely respect your opinion. But as far as I know that each royal member has roots to the throne he shall have the title Grand Duke. And the great-great grandfather of Rani Romanov is Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia. (he is from the branch of Andrei Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia ---- Vladimir's son)

Actually ever since Emperor Alexander III amended the house laws in 1886 it's only sons and paternal grandsons of an emperor that bear the title of Grand Duke. All other male dynasts bear the title of Prince of Russia.

I'm so proud that there's a new great-great grandson of Alexander II of Russia is defending his rights in being on of the house heads. With Maria and Nicholas Romanov. It's his HRH, Rani Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia.

By new do you mean fake? The wikipedia page for Rani was removed because they think he is fake. He was also added as a claimant on the House of Romanov page and they removed that too.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rani_Romanov,_Grand_Duke_of_Russia

I absolutely respect your opinion. But as far as I know that each royal member has roots to the throne he shall have the title Grand Duke. And the great-great grandfather of Rani Romanov is Vladimir Alexandrovich of Russia. (he is from the branch of Andrei Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia ---- Vladimir's son)

Above he is the great-great grandson of Alexander II, then here Vladimir. So is he Andrei's grandson or great grandson? Andrei had no legitimate heirs or marriages so it is not possible for a descendant of his to be a surprise dynast. He had a morganatic marriage and a son Vladimir Romanovsky-Krasinsky out of wedlock. I do not know if Vladimir had a family. Illegitimate line descendants, who has not been legitimized by a later marriage, have no claim even if all marriages were equal (like Monaco). There would still be in that case many hereditary descendants ahead of him.

Dynastic children and grandchildren in the male line of a tsar were Grand Dukes/Duchesses and great and great-great grandchildren in the male line are Princes/Princesses of Russia. If the family ran out of male dynasts and it passed through the female lines then all dynastic children and grandchildren could be called Grand Duke/Duchess and great and great-great grandchildren are Princes/Princesses of Russia. These descents could be applied accordingly to the Pretender since there is no longer a Tsar which is why Maria and George, who consider themselves dynasts (as do others) use Grand Duchess and Grand Duke, however they are the only ones.

Prince Karl Emich of Leiningen is calling himself Nicholas III which is going too far, especially since he had a morganatic marriage. But the dynastic Leiningens, Prussians and Serbians (Paul's branch) could be Prince/Princesses of Russia if Maria, Kira, Elena, and Olga never renounced their rights. That is it for potential dynastic Russian princes and princess.

Those legitimate non-dynasts who claim there are no dynasts left such as Nicholas, Dimitri, Rostislav, etc also go by Prince/Princess of Russia (even the claimants).

Dynastic male line descendants beyond this, some non-dynastic, and closer non-dynastic ones go by Prince/Princess Romanov/Romanovsky. Traditionally non-dynastic branches have added names such as Romanov-Brasov, Romanov-Ilyinsky, Romanovsky-Iksander or Romanovsky-Krasinsky; or go by a completely different name such as Paley.

If Rani is a descendant of Andrei he could get away with Prince Rani Romanovsky-Krasinsky, but he'd have no claim to Grand Duke/Prince of Russia or the throne.

Last edited:
Alexander II regarded his son, George Alexandrovich Romanov Yurievsky as a "true Russian".
In 1881 Alexander remarked of George: "This is a real Russian; in him at least there flows only Russian blood."

Alexander II regarded his son, George Alexandrovich Romanov Yurievsky as a "true Russian".
In 1881 Alexander remarked of George: "This is a real Russian; in him at least there flows only Russian blood."

If that's what Alexander II thought then he was wrong since he himself was not 100% of Russian descent.

If that's what Alexander II thought then he was wrong since he himself was not 100% of Russian descent.

Noble Consort Ming, You are correct that Alexander II was not 100% of Russian descent.
Alexander II's mother Alexandra Fyodorovna was originally Charlotte of Prussia.

A great-grandson of Russia’s Tsar Alexander III has died in a small town in outback Australia but his remains were left in a morgue for two months because authorities were unaware of his identity.

Leonid Kulikovsky, 72, a distant relative of both the Queen and Prince Philip, died while walking his dog at a caravan park on September 27 in Katherine, a remote town in the Northern Territory, where he lived alone.

A member of Russia’s exiled Romanov family, he was the son of Guriy, whose mother was Grand Princess Olga, the youngest daughter of Emperor Alexander III, Russia’s penultimate Tsar.
Read more: Great-grandson of Russian tsar dies alone in Australia - Telegraph

That is so sad! He died all alone with his dog... May he rest in peace.

Olga is telling nonsense, I am sorry to say. She often saw Diana "bedecked with Romanov jewels" which simply is not true. Diana had relatively few jewels: a diadem from her family as a loan and the Lovers' Knot Diadem as a loan from the Queen. She has some nice necklaces, bracelets and other bijoux. But "bedecked in Romanov jewels"? No way. Show me the pieces which once were worn by Tsarinas and graced Diana...

:whistling:

^^^^^^^^
The article doesn't say that Diana owned the jewelry. It says that Q.Mary bought a lot of russian jewelry from the Romanovs after the revolution, and to be honest, that's not the first time i've heard that so there's probably some truth in it.
And most of the jewelry that Q.Mary acquired has been passed down the royal family and has been worn, among others by Diana, take for instance the "grand duchess Vladimir" tiara
Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara

This link contains a picture of Diana wearing it
http://theenchantedmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Cambridge-Lovers-Knot-Tiara-worn-by-Queen-and-Diana.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^
The article doesn't say that Diana owned the jewelry. It says that Q.Mary bought a lot of russian jewelry from the Romanovs after the revolution, and to be honest, that's not the first time i've heard that so there's probably some truth in it.
And most of the jewelry that Q.Mary acquired has been passed down the royal family and has been worn, among others by Diana, take for instance the "grand duchess Vladimir" tiara
Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara

This link contains a picture of Diana wearing it
http://theenchantedmanor.com/wp-con...Lovers-Knot-Tiara-worn-by-Queen-and-Diana.jpg

The litteral quote in the article is: "I often used to see Princess Diana decked out in Romanov gems."

That is simply not true. Diana has never worn the Grand Duchess Vladimir diadem. Her only diadem -besides the Spencer Diadem- was a copy of the so-called "Cambridge Lovers' Knot Diadem" (picture). That diadem was ordered by Queen Mary and is a copy of a similar diadem owned by Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge.

The jeweller Garrard used the broken-up "Ladies of England" diadem (picture) and pear-shaped pearls which once adorned the "Girls of Great Britain" diadem (picture) plus some loose pearls to create this diadem. Nothing to do with the Romanovs.

:)

Olga Romanova has a rich fantasy.

Last edited:
Noble Consort Ming, You are correct that Alexander II was not 100% of Russian descent.
Alexander II's mother Alexandra Fyodorovna was originally Charlotte of Prussia.

Out of 16 nearest ancestors of Emperor Alexander II only one was Russian,Grand Duchess Anna Petrovna of Russia.

The rest were all Germans.

So,of course he was not 100% ,but only 6.25% of Russian descent.

To day I saw in live the Auction at Drouot Paris concerning the Collection of Prince and Princess Felix Youssoupoff.

The Estimations were law: the Princes went high !

Letters written by the Prince and Princess 250 to 1400 euros-
Paintings of the Princess Irina 800 - 2.600 euros
Travel Icone of the Prince : 22.000 euros
Travel Icone of the Princess : 31.000 euros
Medecis Bowls 33 cm Nicolas I : 28.000 euros
Jupiter from Cellini : 195.000 euros
Strange Paintings of the Prince about 3500 and 4000 euros
The Prince Boyard Costume for the Ball on 11 July 1912 :62.000 euros
A lot of old photographic pictures from the Imperial family from 720 euros until 9500 euros.

Then I had to leave home but am sure that a lot of items will return to Russia.

I not 100% but HRH Adolph Fredrich Grand duke of mecklenburg strelitz Family of Princess Augusta England died 1918 the same year as the Romanov family were executed the king of england edward lll was all in with hitler any thoughts please

I not 100% but HRH Adolph Fredrich Grand duke of mecklenburg strelitz Family of Princess Augusta England died 1918 the same year as the Romanov family were executed the king of england edward lll was all in with hitler any thoughts please

Thoughts about what exactly?

Princess Olga attended the Eastern Seasons Gala Dinner at One Marylebone in London on December 5:

** Pic **

https://polskanorge.com/2017/01/01/...peror-prince-dimitri-romanov-dies-in-denmark/

"Oldest relative of lust Russian Emperor Prince Dimitri Romanov dies in Denmark"

Romanovs fooling around

https://www.rbth.com/history/326118-have-you-ever-seen-romanovs

Princess Dorrit wife of Prince Dimitri attends at the 30th anniversary Gala evening for the Prince Mourousy Association at Russian Embassy in Paris back January.
In the photo is with the Princess Maria-Pia.

http://www.pointdevue.fr/sites/poin...rait/public/07_soiree_st_vladimir_pdv3631.jpg

Visit Princess Olga at her house in Kent

My haven: Princess Olga Romanoff, 68,in her drawing room in Kent | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Condolences to his loved ones. RIP:flowers:

But he isn't the oldest relative of Nicholas II. Prince Philip is the same distance relationship and us 95. There is also Nicholas' great nephew, Prince Andrew,a grandson of Nicholas' sister Xenia. Andrew is 93.

Back
Top Bottom