Members of the Extended Romanov Family, past and present

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angelica Ilyinsky, née Kauffman, widow of Prince Paul Ilyinsky (1928-2004), himself the son of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia, died at Palm Beach, Florida, on 19 November.

She is usrvived by her four children: Dimitri (b.1954), Paula (b.1956), Ann (b.1958) & Michael (b.1959), their spouses, nine grandchildren, one grandson-in-law and one great-granddaughter.
In 2002 she experienced a great tragedy; one of her granddaughters, Makena Comisar (daughter of Paula) was killed in a car accident, aged 18.

Sources: Royal News of 2011, Section I
Royal News 2002, Section I
Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark

Long-Lost Songs by Romanovs Surface | Arts & Ideas | The Moscow Times
Taking 15 years to put together, a recent concert at Tavrichesky Palace in St. Petersburg could have claimed a place in "The Guinness Book of World Records." The performance, entitled "The Imperial Musical Collection," showcased 20 long-lost musical works composed exclusively by members of the Romanov family, including Tsar Alexander II and Prince Konstantin Romanov.

Prince Nicholas Romanov: We have always felt Bulgaria very close, mostly because of the language - FOCUS Information Agency
“I hope I will be able to visit Bulgaria and get acquainted with this country, which we have always felt very close, mostly because of the language,” Nicholas Romanovich Romanov, Prince of Russia, said in a special interview with FOCUS News Agency.
“The Bulgarian language is intelligible for all Russians, I find the rest of the Christian languages much harder. I cannot speak Bulgarian but I can read absolutely everything,” he added.

Nice to see HH Prince Nicholas Romanovich is looking to travel abroad going into his 90th year, hopefully he realises his wish to visit Bulgaria and has good health for years to come.

I think Rostislav is adorable in these photos.

He is adorably geeky and he just looks so cute here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/10fb1.jpg/; just the adorable face that grandmothers like to pinch and coo over.

I met Rostislav quite accidentally while in Moscow. Didn't have any idea who he was until a friend told me. He is really quite adorable, especially when trying to speak Russian. I think he may add to the Romanov popularity in Russia in times to come. There is a strong political void right now; there is Putin, and basically there is no one else. Monarchy could be the answer to Russia's troubles.
I daresay Prince Nicholas Romanov (and by default, his presumed eventual heir, Prince Rostislav) have far more realistic chances to the Throne than Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and Prince Georgi. I wish it weren't so, because as an Armenian I have nothing but warmest feelings to our Georgian brothers (and the Grand Duchess's mother was Georgian), but there is no way Russians would ever accept a ruler who is 1/4 Georgian and 1/2 German.

Prince Nicholas Romanov: We have always felt Bulgaria very close, mostly because of the language - FOCUS Information Agency
“I hope I will be able to visit Bulgaria and get acquainted with this country, which we have always felt very close, mostly because of the language,” Nicholas Romanovich Romanov, Prince of Russia, said in a special interview with FOCUS News Agency.
“The Bulgarian language is intelligible for all Russians, I find the rest of the Christian languages much harder. I cannot speak Bulgarian but I can read absolutely everything,” he added.

The Prince is right, Bulgarian is very similar to Russian, rather like Belorussian and even Serbian. If you are fluent in Russian, you may not actually be able to speak the other three, but you'll certainly understand it.

I confess, I didn't even know Prince Nicholas speaks Russian; I'm glad he took the time to learn the language of his ancestors.

:previous:
He knows Russian because he spent his childhood and part of his youth in an environment formed of Russian expats in France: they spoke Russian among them, and even continued to use the Julian calendar, despite in France the Gregorian calendar is the one used.

Princess Valli of Russia nee Knust died in the Old Vicarage, Leigh, Dorset, on 10 July.

She was born in London on 4 April 1930.
She married there on 8 June 1961, as his third wife, Prince Vsevelod of Russia (1914-1973) [son of Prince Ivan of Russia (1886-exuted in Alapaevsk on the night 17/18 July 1918) & his wife, Princess Helene of Serbia (1884-1962)] soon after he divorced his previous wife, Emilia de Gosztonyi (1914-1993; married 1956); his first wife was Lady Mary Lygon (1910-1982, marriage from 1939 to 1956).

Sources: Russia
Descendants of Duke Friedrich of Saxe-Altenburg

:previous:
After her morganatic marriage to Prince Vsevelod Ivanovich, she was granted by Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich the title of Princess Romanovsky-Knust with the predicate of Serene Highness.

GENEALOGY OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF RUSSIA

Does anyone know anything about Prince Mikhail Dmitrievich Keli-Romanov?

I remember some years ago, a member of the Romanovs came to Staten Island, where I live, to pay tribute to the 9/11 victims. I did some research on him recently, but couldn't find much.

This was all I could find: A 911 Commemoration

Ambassadors

He said he's distantly related to Nicholas II on his mother's side.

Does anyone know anything about this branch? Are they involved in any way to the Romanov Family Association?

The Prince is right, Bulgarian is very similar to Russian, rather like Belorussian and even Serbian. If you are fluent in Russian, you may not actually be able to speak the other three, but you'll certainly understand it.

I confess, I didn't even know Prince Nicholas speaks Russian; I'm glad he took the time to learn the language of his ancestors.
I would agree with this. I was brought up in a house where Serbo-Croation was spoken. My daughter is a figure skater in an all russian program. I can generally follow the gist of the russian.

Nicholas Romanov is not a Prince as his father, HH Prince Roman, married without permission from Grand Duke Cyril and did not receive a morganatic style for his wife or children. As such, he is simply Mr. Romanov and his daughters are Miss Romanov or whatever their husband's names are.

There are no surviving morganatic princes of the extended family with the exception of Dimitri Ilyinsky, who does not use his father's title as HSH Prince Romanovsky-Ilyinsky because he is an American citizen. Dimitri is the senior genealogical morganaut in the male-line, not Nicholas Romanov.

Hi, so I recently found out my dads grandma was Olga romanov just trying to see if she is anyway connected to the romanov's

Romanov was not an uncommon Russian surname, but you can go to the OnlineGotha and search the Romanov families trees and see if you can find an Olga who married your relative.

In an interview he himself said that she just stood up. It appears that the rumour has gone beyond that. And, by the way, he is not "the heir to the throne".

Actually, both those men were republicans, and both sought for the position of the head of the republic. Nikolay Romanovitch even told that if he was in power he would have instituted a republic.

Ironically, Grand Duke Vladimir said the same thing, but I guess he can be forgiven, since he would say just about anything depending on his audience.
In a 1975 interview with a German magazine, Vladimir Kirillovich said: "Russia will never be a monarchy, I myself am in favor of democracy and I have not the slightest claim to the throne, even if they told me it belonged to me as the last living Romanov."
-Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich
Father of Maria Vladimirovna
1975 Interview

It's such a shame that the family is so fractious.

Are there still alot of Romanovs in Russia? I'm very interested in the last Tsar and his family, and the Anastasia mystery. I know almost everything about them, but I wasn't aware that there were still so many Romanovs.

A few. Most notable is Rostislav Rostislavich Romanov. If the monarchy were to be re-implemented as a constitutional throne, Rostislav would probably be the most acceptable choice. He is young (about 28 years old or so) and truly appreciates the culture. He serves as the Romanov Family Association's Charity work overseer.

Oh, yes. The Russian people would surely be much more positively inclined to accept the half-American Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov as heir to the throne than the half-German Georgy Mikhailovich Romanov. At least Georgy's ancestry is for the most part overwhelmingly royal.

Oh, yes. The Russian people would surely be much more positively inclined to accept the half-American Rostislav Rostislavovich Romanov as heir to the throne than the half-German Georgy Mikhailovich Romanov. At least Georgy's ancestry is for the most part overwhelmingly royal.

Consider that George's "royal" blood qualifications was the cause of much of the hardship in Russia for the last century. He directly descends from the man who supported the Bolshevik overthrow of the monarchy in his great grandfather the Kaiser, and he is the grandson of Franz Joseph, a Nazi who participated in the invasion of Russia. Some bloodline... Maria's own father helped the Nazis by his resistence battalion, and called on all Russians to invade the Soviet Union. How many Russians died in WWII? Stalin was a tyrant, but even the likes of Kerensky, not to mention the overwhelming majority of Romanovs including everyone from Dimitri to the Nikolaevich line supported the allies. But not Vladimir.

Considering that George is the product of an arranged marriage that dissolved within months of his birth. I won't repeat the rumors that have spread around that one in Russia, but it is quite embarrassing though not surprising. Ever wonder why George's father is never actually discussed other than to say that he provided "an heir?" Why did he find his bags thrown out of his own house less than a year after he provided Grand Duke Vladimir with an heir?

Rostislav was born in America, but British by citizenship. At least he LIVES in Russia. I find it amusing how strong pro-Maria supporters kindly ignore the lack of support she has in Russia. Many who are so quick to point out random polls that list support for re-establishment at around 20% in Russia, yet conveniently forget to mention that only 1-2% of those want Maria on the throne, which makes her quite insignificant. Maybe you guys can't read Cyrillic...

George was not born in Russia, and has never lived in Russia. He's a full blooded, Hispanic German, by that line of thought. Whereas Rostislav is half anglo, half Russian.

The "royalty" bloodline is a joke.

There's also the fact that Grand Duke Mikhail's claim to the crown was passed to the choice of the people, which is all that most of us would ask in the event of any restoration. Don't autocrat supporters understand what that is? A vote? Didn't Grand Duke Vladimir state that it should be decided by the "will of the people" when asked about it? Why, yes he did.

From historian Stephan Skott:

All the Romanovs with good reason, worried for his life, no one could guarantee the safety of Michael. Most historians took why Michael did not agree to be the king, and what were his chances. But it seems that no one wondered why he abdicated it with this wording.

Meanwhile, if he had said: "I surrender!", The throne would pass automatically to Cyril.

Not content with a simple denial and referring the matter to the discretion of the Constituent Assembly, Michael knocked the crown out from under the nose of Cyril. Cyril could not produce any legal right to the throne as long as the Constituent Assembly does not recognize renunciation of Michael.

BTW, isn't George's adopted uncle Prince Zsa Zsa Gabor? What a line he descends from...

Last edited:
This is not the place to regurgitate the Pauline Laws as they have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.

However, considering what the Romanov house laws do say, Maria Vladimirovna and Georgy Mikhailovich have infinitely stronger dynastic status than other Romanov descendants, such as Rostislav.

None of this matters, of course, since it will be a cold day in hell before Russia converts to a monarchical form of government.

Considering that George is the product of an arranged marriage that dissolved within months of his birth. I won't repeat the rumors that have spread around that one in Russia, but it is quite embarrassing though not surprising. Ever wonder why George's father is never actually discussed other than to say that he provided "an heir?" Why did he find his bags thrown out of his own house less than a year after he provided Grand Duke Vladimir with an heir?
The marriage was not dissolved within months of Georgy's birth. His parents separated in 1982 and divorced in 1985. Prince Franz Wilhelm is a private individual and his relationship with his son has been equally private. However, the Prince was well aware of the dynastic nature of his union with the Grand Duchess and that any children that they produced would be raised as Romanovs first and foremost.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're correct that it won't matter, but that's the whole point. The house laws are no longer applicable, even if it did. Grand Duke/Tsar Mikhail turned all legal authority over to the provisional government when he was recognized as the new head of the imperial dynasty in 1917.

GD Mikhail specifically turned authority over to the constitutional government without ever abdicating (whether or not it was legal for Nicholas II to pass over his son is a whole other debate). In his statements afterwards, Kirill's statements and claim to the throne came after Mikhail was declared legally dead, acknowledging that he was the legal emporer after Nicholas abdicated. whereas Nicholas and Alexei were never declared legally deceased, or at least until 1991, as far as I know. In his first statement to the public, Kirill also supported the choice of the Duma.

There is also evidence that Nicholas, in fact, did change the laws to surpass the Kirillovich line altogether, according to the memoirs of Alexander Spiridovitch, the Chief of Secret Security Police to the Emperor. These documents are apparently still stowed away in the Russian archives, and I would be willing to wager that if the opportunity arose, then they would be located. Rob Moshein is more familiar with this case than myself.

What I am saying is that Rostislav is likely the best candidate to appease all sides were it to happen. He lives in Russia, speaks the language, has business experience, and doesn't descend from a family line that has ticked off a majority of people, nor offended anyone the way that the Kirillovich line has done. The current claimant has behaved as though she were entitled to the throne, which is not the case. She is a private citizen, and with arguably the Orthodox Church, holds no recognition of such inside the state of Russia. Her supporters always claim that she meets with Putin, but so what! So do the other Romanovs, such as Nicholas Romanovich and his brother. They just don't announce it to the world every time they are acknowledged, and don't request special treatment. That's an endearing trait to a lot of people, though they are way too old to become monarchs now, and both would readily admit it.

Maria does have the strongest claim in regards to Pauline laws, but only through her marriage, which in this day and age, would likely be irrelevant and seen for what they are, especially when they were aware of all that has not been publicized, but is common knowledge for anyone who researches the subject. There are some definite red flags in her lineage, which weren't addressable at the time because those lawmakers couldn't see into the future, predict the fall of the dynasty, or World Wars I and II. The other Romanov branches have been on the right side of history throughout the 20th century, while Maria's and more explicitly George's, have not. Maria supporters should open their eyes to this. It would be a PR disaster.

The strength of Maria's claim lies in the fact she is the only child of the last undisputed dynast and Head of the Imperial House, not in her marriage. All of the current descendants are morganatic under the Pauline Laws, Maria Vladimirovna included.

She is the surviving senior male-line descendant of Alexander II and the succession of the Romanov Imperial House is with her. The other descendants are not in compliance with the Laws in any interpretation, including the requirement of Orthodoxy.

No one expects the throne to return and she merely expects to be accorded respect and courtesy as Head of the Imperial House, which she is.

:ROFLMAO:

Right.. like requiring people in her presence to kneel before her and kiss the royal hand.

Local authorities warned in advance: those to whom the guest will see in the morning have to kiss her hand, and may only address the 55-year-old great-great-granddaughter of Alexander II only with the words "Your Highness."
That's part of her personality that ticks so many people off. There is no royal house. It is gone with the provisional government, who was granted authority to make the choice of succession. She is a private citizen. Any claims of royalty are at the mercy of the Russian people. Until that time, she is a lady with the last name of Romanov, just like all the other Romanovs out there (none of whom require hand kissing). She is entitled to absolutely nothing.

Look at it like this: Let's say Nicholas II was not executed; only removed from the throne. A couple of years later, the Bolsheviks are overthrown and the people face the option of reinstalling the tsar. Would Nicholas II, out of power, request that all who seek an audience kneel before and kiss the hand? Not hardly, as he was (by most all accounts) a humble man. Alexandra? I could see it, but that was part of her problem.

The point of the above example gives you an idea why so many people are still attracted to Nicholas II's good qualities; some even going as far as overlooking his negative ones. They see him as a person who could've made the ideal constitutional monarch had he been given the chance. The same could be said about his brother. The same could be said about his younger brother. To put it in layman's terms... they both had class and humility as private citizens, apart from being born of royalty. That's what inspires people to support your cause. Maria lacks that. She doesn't draw people in or inspire outsiders who may even favor a restoration outside of those whom already are in her camp. All she has in her favor is an out of date and still controversial (as was stated above by the statements by General Spirodovich) claim because she is someone's daughter. Birthrights died with the revolution.

Well, no one can force anyone to address royalty a certain way and Russia is no longer a monarchy, but a republic. So, I hardly see what your point is. Most people do address her as "Your Imperial Highness" as a simple act of courtesy and good manners.

It sounds to me like you have an axe to grind. Whether you accept Maria's position or not, none of the surviving Romanovs will be on a throne anytime soon.

I fully agree Grand Duke Michael declined to assume the throne in 1917 and passed the powers of the monarchy to the Provisional Government, pending a referendum from the Russian people as to what form of government they wished to have. The monarchy ended and the rights of the Romanov Dynasty became defunct.

It's funny seeing Rostislav with glasses on because he doesn't usually wear them.
A good interview; he is indeed the type grandmothers (and mothers) love.

Rostislav Romanov (b.21 May 1985) [son of late Rostislav Romanov (1938-1999) {himself only son of Prince Rostislav of Russia (1902-1978) by his first wife, Princess Alexandra Galitzine (1905-2006)} & his second wife, Christia Ipsen (b.1949)] & his girlfriend Foteini Georganta became parents of a son, Mikhail, this year.

Sources: Russia
Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark

Say what?

Prince Rostislav has had a child out of wedlock?

Does anyone have a link to this news?

Back
Top Bottom