Mathilde Kschessinska (1872-1972) Ballerina and Courtesan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexi4

Nobility
City
Belleville
Country
United States
Nicholas first me the prima ballerina Mathilde Kschessinka in the spring of 1890. He was attending the ballet with his father, Alexander III, introduced the pair.
In her memoirs she recalled the meeting saying: "...in both our hearts an attraction had been born impelling us irrestisitbily towards each other." The rest of that season, she pursued Nicholas often putting herself into situations that would put her in Nicholas's line of vision. But in October, Nicholas and his brother George set off on a nine-month cruise and he did not see Mathilde for a year. But once he returned home, he began to see Mathilde. He gave her a gold bracelet and a large sapphire. She had joined the military theatre at Krasnoe Selo where Nicholas visited her daily. In 1892, he had a house built for her. Her father was concerned at this and cautioned her that Nicholas could never marry her. The courtship between the two continued until 1894 when he told Mathilde that of his plans to make Alix his fiancee. Later, she dated two of Nicholas's cousins, Grand Duke Serge and Grand Duke Andrei. Mathilde and Andrei had a son, and in 1921 in Cannes, they married. Does anyone know what happened to their son?
As far as I know, this is the only affair Nicholas had before he married Alix.
Lexi

Last edited:
I've read her book (many years ago) and the only thing I remember is that the son was granted a title by Cyril who was acting as head of the household.
Good thing she had her ballet to fall back on! Imagine having to support your family after the Revolution because your husband has no skills with which to do so!
On our other forum, Lex, do you remember somebody mentioning that Mathilde was "Hand-picked" by Alexander III to be Nicholas' mistress?

I've read her book (many years ago) and the only thing I remember is that the son was granted a title by Cyril who was acting as head of the household.
Good thing she had her ballet to fall back on! Imagine having to support your family after the Revolution because your husband has no skills with which to do so!
On our other forum, Lex, do you remember somebody mentioning that Mathilde was "Hand-picked" by Alexander III to be Nicholas' mistress?

Yes, I do. And I think that comes from Massie's book, Nicholas & Alexandra. I can check for you if you want. I think Alexander was concerned about Nicholas's "inmaturity" in these matters. ;)

Wasn't that something Royalty/Nobility did? Make sure the male got some sort of seasoning with the ladies?? :D

Wasn't that something Royalty/Nobility did? Make sure the male got some sort of seasoning with the ladies?? :D

Hmmm...if I recall, Nicholas was a little "behind schedule" so his father took matters into his own hands. Don't hold me to that though, I am doing this from memory and well... you get the picture.
Lexi

Oh Good Lord I'm doing everything from memory!! I think I read "Dancing in St. Petersburg" like in 1994??
You know, ballet was a bit different back then, it was more posing instead of dancing. How do you think she'd stack up, as opposed to a Gelsey Kirkland?

Her technique was supposed to be very good.

I haven't read Mathilde's autobiography but Imperial Dancer by Corynne Hall is an excellent book about her. If I remember correctly her son was fairly sickly and weak. I think that he died reasonably young.

I will look it up!

Regards,
attaining grace
bookaddiction

I didn't know about her son being ill. Didn't he receive a title from Cyril?

I believe their son was created Prince Romanovsky-Krasinsky (like Mathilde).

On a sidenote, Vladimir RK himself once even stated that he was never sure who his biological father was, Grand Duke Andrei Vladimirovitch or Grand Duke Sergei Michaelovitch (as they 'shared' Mathilde for almost two decades).

I believe their son was created Prince Romanovsky-Krasinsky (like Mathilde).

On a sidenote, Vladimir RK himself once even stated that he was never sure who his biological father was, Grand Duke Andrei Vladimirovitch or Grand Duke Sergei Michaelovitch (as they 'shared' Mathilde for almost two decades).

That's rather sad.

No, I was thinking about her son. How sad to have to guess between two men who your father is.

Watch it? I lived it for a year!
You were kept Bea? Or did you have fun romping around in Leslie Caron-type clothing. God I would. Those were the pictures!! :flowers::wub:

Maybe we could DNA them??
I always thought that Andrei was the father. I though Mathilde settled for him just before the revolution. But you never know, she may have been keeping her options open. Wasn't Sergei shot at the fortress of Peter and Paul?

nicholas_II04.jpg
[/IMG]

A picture....

She was known to be the first love Nicholas had and was considered his official mistress. Her household was financed by the Nicholas and he lavished her with gifts including a necklace with "walnut size" diamonds. He had a mansion built for her.

Didn't Massie say that in N & A? And that when N proposed to A that he asked her forgiveness for having an affair with Mathilde before they married?

That is correct Russo. Isn't that strange?

I don't know. Maybe he wanted to be as pure as Alix when they married and apologized for that. Anybody know for sure?

I think you are correct about that. I do think it was Massie who wrote about it, but I wonder about his source. It seems like it might have been a diary.

I think you are correct about that. I do think it was Massie who wrote about it, but I wonder about his source. It seems like it might have been a diary.
I'll look in "A lifelong Passion", that's their letters in a book that I have, though I'm sure they are "selected" letters. . . :cool:

I'll look in "A lifelong Passion", that's their letters in a book that I have, though I'm sure they are "selected" letters. . . :cool:

Ok. I have that book too...somewhere. :flowers:

Page 80 of that book just has them confessing their sins. Mr. Russo says I have to go to bed so I can't do more research.
DARN MR. RUSSO!!! :angry:

Great! I'll dig out my book and look.

I think that N actually admitted it to A in a letter and there is a letter back from her forgiving him and saying that in the future it won't happen.

One book about Mathilde notes that she wore her jewels from N when she danced- even in roles where she played a poor girl. When you look at the pictures karla linked you can see that she did. I think it interesting that N took such good care of her. She was really a poor nobody from a 'circus' family and he could have just used her without compensating her so lavishly. It speaks volumes about N's soft character.

Interesting her technique and what the Gelsey Kirklands can do today.

I think the Romanovs did well by her. After her affair with Nicholas ended, she moved on to a couple of cousins. She knew from the beginning she could never marry Nicholas. An interesting piece of info about her. She was one of the people who identified Anna Anderson as the Grand Duchess Anastasia. Russo may know more about that than I do.

I think the Romanovs did well by her. After her affair with Nicholas ended, she moved on to a couple of cousins. She knew from the beginning she could never marry Nicholas. An interesting piece of info about her. She was one of the people who identified Anna Anderson as the Grand Duchess Anastasia. Russo may know more about that than I do.
It was in her book she said AA had "Nicky's eyes". But whether or not AA was Anastasia, well, the jury is still out on that one.
Somebody mentioned the son died? Any info. on that?

I think that N actually admitted it to A in a letter and there is a letter back from her forgiving him and saying that in the future it won't happen.

One book about Mathilde notes that she wore her jewels from N when she danced- even in roles where she played a poor girl. When you look at the pictures karla linked you can see that she did. I think it interesting that N took such good care of her. She was really a poor nobody from a 'circus' family and he could have just used her without compensating her so lavishly. It speaks volumes about N's soft character.

Actually, it was quite common for members of the Imperial Family to seek out dancers during that time. Dancers were well cared for and so there was less concern about contacting social diseases. It had more to do with that than Nicholas's character. Also, it was his father that chose Mathilde for Nicholas. I am not sure I would say she was from a circus family but rather a family of members of the Imperial Ballet.

Last edited:
I am not sure I would say she was from a circus family but rather a family of members of the Imperial Ballet.
Yeah, it's not like Nicky ran off and joined the Monaco circus with his children or anything. . . . :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom