Grand Duchesses Xenia (1875-1960) and Olga (1882-1960), sisters of Nicholas II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But that is what continues to puzzle. Olga was every bit as much George's cousin. She was photograohed and covered in the press until her death. I haven't seen anything about Xenia after the early 1920s.

But that is what continues to puzzle. Olga was every bit as much George's cousin. She was photograohed and covered in the press until her death. I haven't seen anything about Xenia after the early 1920s.

The only explanation I can think to is that there was a basical difference between the two sister's situation in the 1920s.
I mean, Xenia was residing in the UK, with nearly no incomes, while Olga was residing in Denmark firstly with her mother (a Danish Princess by birth) and later in a farm she owned and ran with her husband.
So, it seems to me that on the one hand Xenia was more in need of help and support than Olga and on the other hand of the two sisters only Xenia was living in the country where their cousin George V reigned.
Just a guess, maybe had Olga settled as well in the UK perhaps the King would have offered her a grace-and-favour residence too.

I often wondered if the remains of Xenia and Olga will returned to Russia for a possible reburial?

Grand Duchess Xenia is buried at the Cimetière de Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France.

Grand Duchess Olga is buried at the York Cemetery, Toronto in Canada.

Thanks. Interesting mystery. I haven't followed their descendants, that should meke for interesting reading. I would enjoy an interview of any of the sister's living descendants.

It was her cousin George V, that backed out. It had nothing to do with the Allies. And the Kaiser wanted to save them, before the end, but haughty Aix refused.

Nice and very visual video about Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna (~52 min).

From the Romanov Royal Martyrs channel at youtube.

"The extraordinary story of Tsar Nicholas’ sister and her journey from the palaces of St. Petersburg to death in obscurity above a barbershop in Toronto. A life full of passion and love, set at the backdrop of an entire century. She was raised at the Gatchina Palace outside Saint Petersburg. Olga was her father’s favourite, but Tsar Alexander III died when she was only 12. After the Russian Revolution, Olga escaped to Denmark with her second husband and their two sons, in February 1920, where they lived as farmers. Finally, in 1948, she relocated with her immediate family to a farm in Campbellville, Ontario, Canada. At the end of her life and afterwards, Olga was widely labelled the last Grand Duchess of Imperial Russia."

Nice and very visual video about Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna (~52 min).

From the Romanov Royal Martyrs channel at youtube.

"The extraordinary story of Tsar Nicholas’ sister and her journey from the palaces of St. Petersburg to death in obscurity above a barbershop in Toronto. A life full of passion and love, set at the backdrop of an entire century. She was raised at the Gatchina Palace outside Saint Petersburg. Olga was her father’s favourite, but Tsar Alexander III died when she was only 12. After the Russian Revolution, Olga escaped to Denmark with her second husband and their two sons, in February 1920, where they lived as farmers. Finally, in 1948, she relocated with her immediate family to a farm in Campbellville, Ontario, Canada. At the end of her life and afterwards, Olga was widely labelled the last Grand Duchess of Imperial Russia."

Great video on the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna's life with a lot of tumultuous events. I like how the documentary included Olga's water colour paintings which were done throughout her lifetime. She was a very talented artist.

I like how Grand Duchess Olga painted a variety of subjects: still lifes, landscapes, and portraits. I especially like her floral paintings.

I just finished reading “The Quest for Queen Mary” edited by Hugo Vickers. James Pope-Hennessy gave a charming summary of his interview with Grand Duchess Xenia in London for the book. It would have been in the late 1950s so shortly before her death.

:lol: I call it as I see it. I think the Windsors must still find any mention of the Romanovs quite hard to take, especially now we know so much more about the nature of their deaths. Its kind of been decided that Prince Michael will deal with that side of Royal relations. I often wondered why the Danes wouldn't accept the Romanovs though.
The Romanovs were expensive to take care of. See Empress Maria constantly switching in lights in the palace of Denmark, her nephew wasn’t pleased with this so she moved out to Hvidore, a country home in Denmark. The Danish royals weren’t wealthy

Visitors over the years to Hampton Court to see Grand Duchess Xenia included her numerous children, in particular Irina and Felix, Irina's husband.

Back
Top Bottom