Grand Duchesses Xenia (1875-1960) and Olga (1882-1960), sisters of Nicholas II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

I think the solution would have been for Nicholas & Alexandra & their children to be granted asylum in Malta. Then, the question of them embarrassingly being in Britain itself would be side-stepped.
The rest of the Romanovs landed in Malta temporarily in 1919 and only the Dowager Empress and Xenia & children were permitted in Britain. Alexander Michaelivich, Nicholas Nicholaiovich & family and Peter Nicholaiovich & family were all sent to France.
I can't remember whether Olga and her tribe ever landed in Britain. I think she went straight to Denmark, where her mother chose to live.
Also, we must remember that Christian X did not particularly want the Romanovs in Denmark either.
So, did he feel "guilt" also, as his English cousin did??

Larry

The Danish book Zarmoder blandt Zarmordere: Kejserinde Dagmar og Danmark 1917-1928 by Bent Jensen, mentions several attempts by the Danish royal family, and the Danish government, to get a diplomatic solution to get the Czar and the rest of the Romanovs out of Russia. The book also mentions that the Danish government contacted the Germans to ask for help, and were denied twice. The Danish envoy in Russia, Harald Scavenius, according to the book, worked hard to try to get things solved.

One tack the Danish allegedly tried were to point out according to the book, was that if the Russians did not want the Dowager Czarina and her family to have Russian titles, and the titles were no longer in effect, then the title Princess of Denmark was still valid for Marie/Dagmar, and thus she [and her family] should be sent to Denmark.

I better rush to the library for Prof. Bent Jensen's book; it looks like an interesting read, Norwegianne! I have heard about Scavenius and his attempts before, but I never had the impression that he (and the Danish government) was offering Danish exile to the Nicholas and his family - Denmark was never intended as a country of residence, but as an intermediary arrangement only, if necessary. Am I completely off the mark here, and does Bent Jensen have anything to say about this?

viv​

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a very interesting read, Viv.

If I recall correctly, the most important goal was getting them out. Unfortunately, it has been a while since I read the book (and it's been returned to the library), and I can't recall the exact details.

OK thanks!

I doubt that King Christian X would have been able to support
the family financially in a Danish exile! That would have been the
result, wouldn't it?
Housing aunt Minny for a while was bad enough, but she wasn't
the easiest of lodgers! And I bet that Christian X was partial to the
strained relationship between Dagmar and his mother!

Viv

I often wondered why the Danes wouldn't
accept the Romanovs though.

So did I, but as far as I know the Danish government never
refused exile to Nicholas & family, it was just never in the cards
for a number of reasons. Nicholas would have preferred the UK, where
it would have been easier to "absorb" a deposed emperor in the
aristocratic environment- that is if we disregard the political unrest
at the time. Nicholas and Alexandra would probably have been happy
at some manor house in the shires!

It was a different matter for the dowager empress. She did have a
house in Denmark and she was deeply attached to it.

Viv

I can't remember if it was in Ian Vorres book or not, but Minnie used to keep the lights burning at Hevidore <sic> on purpose as Christian would complain about her upkeep.

I can't remember if it was in Ian Vorres book or not, but Minnie used to keep the lights burning at Hevidore <sic> on purpose as Christian would complain about her upkeep.

Not Hvidore,but at Amalienborg Palace,it infuriated poor Christian,and Minnie didn´t care less.One doesn´t tell a Dowager-Empress
of Russia what to do or not....The minute she was requested to put the lights out if not necessary,she set the whole Palace,well,
the part she lived in,ablaze with lights.

hvidre2.jpg

Here's an old photo of Hvidøre, the home of the dowager empress and
GD Olga 1920-1928

viv

Once a grand duchess

Is it "Once a grand duchess"? Viv
Hi Viv,

I started reading this at the library and then went off on a tangent so I'll have to start it again! I've bought it now. Xenia didn't strike me as helpless at all in the first part of the book.

I want to buy the book about the Grand Duchesses as well.

There you go!
Maybe I should read the book again! :) And I hasten to add that I am
a bit biased in favour of GD Olga!

Viv

Olga was more down to earth, Xenia was more Princessy, I guess if that's a word! :rolleyes:

It was my understanding that Olga and her husband, during the Second World War, made welcome and entertained high-ranking members of the occupying German forces. That action made their continued presence in Denmark untenable after the war ended, hence their migration to Canada.

It was my understanding that Olga and her husband, during the Second World War, made welcome and entertained high-ranking members of the occupying German forces. That action made their continued presence in Denmark untenable after the war ended, hence their migration to Canada.

Not quite!

The Kulikovskis had a farm in Ballerup NW of Copenhagen and
they settled well in the local community. The problem was that
during WW2 several Russian refugees, who had been forcibly drafted
to the German Wehrmacht contacted GD Olga for help. So she
did, and this is what got her into trouble. Her neighbours didn't know
the whole story for obvious reasons, they only noticed soldiers in
German uniform at the farm and the speculation went wild!

After the war the Russians accused GD Olga of hiding
Russians refugees and they demanded her extradited.
The situation became very precarious; Denmark was too
close to Russia for comfort and the Danish government
couldn't guarantee for the safety of the Kulikovskis.

Viv

I'd like to know if any of her paintings still exist. I've seen them advertised but it's hard to know who are the reputable dealers on the Internet.

Beautiful! Thank you, ChatNoir. I did find a site by one of her daughters-in-law with paintings but I can't find it now.

Hello Anastasia,

Thank you very much. I hope that these are definitely paintings of GD Olga's. I may even buy one one day!

Are Olga's paintings on sale? Her exact paintings? That's hard for me to believe I'm surprised....would there be more in the hermitage Musuem?

Grand Duchess Olga

Here is a program on her life, "The Last Grand Duchess." It tells(along with all the other things about her life including AA) the story of how all this happened and why she had to leave Denmark because of the Russians.

There are two parts, each almost a half hour long so be prepared to spend some time when you watch them but it's very good!

part 1: GUBA - Olga - The Last Grand Duchess of Russia. (Part 1 of 2)

part 2: GUBA - Olga - The Last Grand Duchess of Russia. (Part 2 of 2)

If you go to Bruun Rasmussen Auctions on the web, you will find several watercolors of Olga for sale right now.

:lol: I call it as I see it. I think the Windsors must still find any mention of the Romanovs quite hard to take, especially now we know so much more about the nature of their deaths. Its kind of been decided that Prince Michael will deal with that side of Royal relations. I often wondered why the Danes wouldn't accept the Romanovs though.

Easy to answer. If the Danes had accepted the Romanovs it would be an open war declaration towards Russia and the next regime.
Denmark is a very small country to it could easily be conquered at that time by mighty Russia

Back
Top Bottom