Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna: June 2008-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Head of the Romanovs' Family is optimistic about establishing monarchy in Russia
2 Jul 2008
...Grand Duchess explained that the Imperial Family and she were "president's associates, rather than his opposition." "And we do not intend to get involved in any political struggle, we only would like to be helpful to this country and facilitate favorable changes here," Maria Vladimirovna said...
Rest of article: Interfax-Religion

From a recent Angus-Reid poll of 400 Russian adults in Moscow:

How likely, in your view, is the restoration of monarchy in Russia? And how would you feel about that?

Unlikely and I would feel negatively about it ~ 39.6%

Unlikely, but I would feel positively about it ~ 19.2%

Likely, but I would feel negatively about it ~ 17.2%

Likely, and I would feel positively about it ~ 12.0%

Don’t know ~ 12.0%

Source: Angus-Reid

Head of the Romanovs' Family is optimistic about establishing monarchy in Russia
Considering the current significant changes in the political situation in the Russian federation, it would be hard to determine the level of optimism related to the restoration.
I wonder about Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna's plans "to be helpful to this country and facilitate favourabale changes". When asked by KP journalist about a possibility of returning to and living in Russia (see the article link in the post#22), she has stated that she waits for an invitation from the Russian government, which would include a full appropriate allowance for all members of the Russian Imperial House in accordance with laws of the Russian Empire. Needless to mention that these statements generated an adverse reaction of readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah, you talk money to country and you're pretty much gonna get a "No". If you talk about how a restoration can facilitate bucks instead of spending them, well, that's a different story.
I have to wonder, isn't she thinking? They've assassinated many of their rulers over there. The prospects of a restoration and being successful with that sort of history just doesn't look good. . . .

Naturally Russians said that they need neither her nor her son nor any other member of the Russian Imperial family with such attitudes. The fair number of readers, who commented on her interview, noted that she mostly visited Russia to capitalise on her dead relatives (Nicholas II and his family).

You are correct, Al Bina. She is basically a non-entity, an anachronism. Her poor son could have a life doing something other than being puhsed to the non-existent throne. Biut, hey, the thought of power keeps a lot of people going.

Maria is not realistic in thinking a woman who is half-Georgian, with a Hohenzollern son, is a likely candidate for a restoration of the throne. The Romanovs ended their reign with Grand Duke Michael's actions in 1917. Their right to the throne no longer exists.

Why would anyone want it I have to wonder? With Putin in power, no control over the rampant and blatant sexual harassment of women, and the violence of the people?

It is difficult for me to determine a relation between sexual harassment and restoration. When it comes to Putin, the main point is that Russian government under his rule has been ensuring stability within the country, which, in its turn, has been underpinned by favourable developments in the sector of natural resources. Furthermore, some Russians of the current pragmatic generation are tired of showing that they are sorry for having executed the Russian Imperial family. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimorivna is said to promote Russia and Russian culture abroad. However, Russians say that they would like to see more palpable results of her activities.
Given the patriarchal society in the Russian, Grand Duke Georgi is viewed as a part of the Hohenzollerns.

Which of course he is as he was born a Prince of that house. Mind you he keeps a low profile and it may be that he is not that intrested in the throne of Russia. If he were to decline or make an unequal marriage that would be intresting to say the least and knock the grin of Princess Maria's face.

I have always felt that the restoration and who if any Romonov should be a matter for the Russian people as per GD Michael's abdication in 1917.

When it comes to Grand Duke Georgi's marriage, it remains to be seen. At the same time, I am sure that Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna will strive not to spoil the not-so-perfect bloodline.

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimorivna is said to promote Russia and Russian culture abroad. However, Russians say that they would like to see more palpable results of her activities.
Which begs the question: What does she do? Exactly? Except look regal?

In truth, I am not sure what Russians want Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna to do. Her activities are mostly limited to visiting Russian communities in various countries. It is hard for me to determine whether reigning royal houses treat Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son as equals.
Personally I think that Russians are just annoyed with her never-ending calls to atone the past sins (i.e., the execution of the Imperial family).

Why? They're dead. It's done. Sure it was horrible/horrific, but let's move on.

I agree. They have been made saints, they have been buried in St. P and the then President stated on behalf of the people regret (as I recall). People do not hold harsh views of Nicholas and the family in this day and age and perhaps it is now time to move on. Bring the dynasty into the modern age and make it a modern dynasty for a modern Russia.

I think Maria saying that if the family move back to Russia there should be financial allowances was a mistake period. She forgets that many do not see her as the head and future Tsarina and that is a question to be decided in the future.

It always comes down to money, doesn't it?

Right... in the end, high aspirations to restore the monarchy, which may or may not benefit the Russian Federation, are reduced to a trivial, yet pivotal element such as money. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna expects the government to "motivate" her to come and reign. Well... under such circumstances, the Russian government may find a better deal with others, who are eager to rule. It would be fair, wouldn't it?

Well, to be fair, you can certainly understand Maria's position from her viewpoint. Part of being the head of a royal house is preserving your dignity and goodwill as the custodian of the historic right to the throne. She was raised by her parents to do this and it's her whole life.

Returning to live in Russia without an official blessing and acknowledgment from the Government as to what her role is compromises her dignity. Regardless of the succession questions, she is not a wealthy woman and cannot afford to live comfortably in very expensive Moscow or St. Petersburg.

She is not asking for compensation of any assets or money that was confiscated by Lenin after the Revolution (some of which undoubtedly belonged to the Tsar personally). But providing her with a secure home, staff and certainly security would be appropriate if they chose to allow her to return.

...[snipped]
She is not asking for compensation of any assets or money that was confiscated by Lenin after the Revolution (some of which undoubtedly belonged to the Tsar personally). But providing her with a secure home, staff and certainly security would be appropriate if they chose to allow her to return.
This point is not clear at all. That is why most Russians feel uneasy about the restoration, which might bring issues of compensation to nobles and other rich people, whose wealth was nationalised/confiscated. The process of restoration might open a Pandora box. You know, lawyers could find precedents and demand adequate compensation.

Except there is no protection in Russia against the Government seizing assets it deems to "belong to the State" regardless of whatever protections in the law on the books. Certainly, Putin has done this many times with gas & oil assets owned by foreign investors and Russians alike.

I doubt that will be an issue one way or another. No one has dared to sue to the Government for assets appropriated by the Communists since the fall of the Soviet Union because they know it's a waste of time.

i think they must like her more because she is a women and also is more intelligent maybe.

House of Romanov grieves over Patriarch's death
5 Dec 2008

The House of Romanov grieves over the death of head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Alexy II, Alexander Zakatov, chief of the office of the head of the house Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna has said.

"This is a terrible blow for all Orthodox Christians. The imperial family lost its spiritual father and elder wise friend," Zakatov said.

Rest of article: Interfax

[Note: Grand Duchess Maria attended the funeral of the Patriarch that was held in Moscow on 9 December.]
----------
Closure of criminal case should put an end to issue of tsar's remains
8 Dec 2008

Members of the Romanov House will offer their opinion on experts' conclusions regarding the authenticity of the remains of Tsar Nicholas II after a ruling closing a criminal case into the matter is published.

"An announcement has to be made on behalf of the Prosecutor General Office's Investigation Committee saying what conclusions the investigation has come to. It is premature to say anything on this case without a legal decision," German Lukyanov, a lawyer for the Romanov House, told Interfax.

Rest of article: Interfax
----------
Georgy Romanov appointed as Advisor to General Director of MMC Norilsk Nickel
12 Dec 2008

Grand Duke Georgy Romanov was appointed Advisor to the General Director of MMC Norilsk Nickel.

In this capacity Georgy Romanov will represent the Company’s interests in the European Union.

Together with MMC Norilsk Nickel First Deputy General Director Oleg Pivovarchuk and Deputy General Director Viktor Sprogis, Georgy Romanov will join the Board of Nickel Institute with the aim to represent the Company...

Full press release (and photo): Norilsk Nickel

News Release on the Attendance of the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, at the Funeral Services for the Newly-Reposed Patriarch Aleksei II of Moscow and All Russia, 6-10 December 2008

On the morning of 5 December 2008, His Holiness, Patriarch Aleksei II of Moscow and All Russia, reposed in the Lord. Having learned this heartrending news, the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, immediately postponed all her other plans and on 6 December flew to Moscow to pay her last respects to the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, with whom the Imperial family has for many years been linked in a bond of love, respect, and mutual support...

Full press release: imperialhouse.ru

J Kenrick:

>>The statement by Marie Vladimirovna's lawyer German Lukyanov also makes it clear: "As far as the authenticity of the Tsar's remains found in the Urals in 1991 and 2007, the House of Romanov will rely on the position of the Russian Orthodox Church."<<

Both sides are in agreement to wait.

AGRBear

Metropolitan Kirill has just been elected the new Orthodox Patriarch.....

So...

What do we now know about the new Patriarch's views on the identification of the Romanov remains ... given that the RFA is now insisting that the book still isn't closed... and that Marie Vladimirovna has refrained from further comment until the Church has officially stated its position?

Please See: Interfax-Religion

JK

Press Release on the Visit of the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, to Russia for the Divine Services and Celebrations on the Occasion of the Enthronement of His Holiness, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, 30 January – 3 February 2009.

On 30 January – 3 February, 2009, the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, made an official visit to Russia for the enthronement of His Holiness, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, who was elected to that office by the Local Council of the Russian Orthodox Church on 27 January 2009.

On 30 January, Her Imperial Highness arrived from Madrid in Moscow. In the evening, the Grand Duchess met with representatives of the administration of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society and the International Orthodox Education Center of the Moscow Patriarchate.

On 31 January, the Head of the Russian Imperial House met with His Eminence Archbishop Kirill of San Francisco and Western America. Among other things, she discussed her upcoming pilgrimage to San Francisco to venerate the relics of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco, who, all his life, had been a faithful intercessor and mentor to the emperor-in-exile, Kirill Vladimirovich, and to Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich. Then Her Imperial Highness met with His Eminence Archbishop Sergei of Samara and Syzran’, who had last year been raised to the Order of St. Anna, and who received from the Grand Duchess the devices of the Order, second class.

Full press release with photos: Imperial House of Russia
More pictures: http://www.monarhist.ru/news2009/news_2009_02_14.htm

She is only seen in orthodox churches with their Archbishops and Patriarches and.... Are they powerful enough in Russia to support her ?
What is the Order of St Anna and why only second class?
Who is first class ? ..

The Russian Orthodox per se is very rich and somewhat influential. However, Patriarchs and Archbishops will not go out of their way to support Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. Support is accurately measured.
As for the Order of St. Anna, here is the like Order of St. Anna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom