Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna: June 2008-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Transnistria is a very small break away state of the Republic of Moldovia. It is not a recognized state. in effect the Grand Duchess is being recognized by a state that is not itself internationally recognized. More importantly it also is not part of modern day Russia. The Grand Duchess is treading on what could dangerous territory, getting invloved in the domestic affairs of a foreign nation, Moldovia.

So it begins. Plus she has the support of the church.

Alexander of Serbia and Nicholas of Montenegro both claimed Montenegro but after Montenegro recognized Nicholas - the bitterness ended and they became friendly or at least seemed so at Prince Michael of Romaniia's birthday. Hopefully this will end peacefully too. :flowers:

She is not only recognized by the Almanach de Gotha - she is one of the officers. She is recognized by other organizations too.

THE OFFICERS OF THE ALMANACH DE SAXE GOTHA

Honoury Société President of The Almanach de Gotha
His Majesty King Juan Carlos I of Spain

Honoury Chairman of The Almanach de Gotha
His Majesty King Michael I of Romania

Honoury Deputy Chairmen of The Almanach de Gotha
Her Imperial Highness
Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia
de jure Empress and Autocrat of All the Russias

Communique (with photos) issued by Imperial House on occasion of King Michael's 90th birthday:
2011-10-25

This thread has been unusually inactive. I wonder what Maria has been up to.

You keep promoting the recognition by Transdnistria but it itself is not a recognized state. She may as well be recongnized by Sealand or Hutt River Province for all the effect it has.

Last edited:
Why is she butting in on this? If Moldova is going to separate from Russia, which means possible separatist conflict, she is putting herself in the position of supporting the separation of a country from Russia, which is sure to pizz off Putin. She has no idea just how much fire she is playing with.

You keep promoting the recongition by Transdnistria but it itself is not a recognized state.

Dear NGalitzine,

AristoCat asked after current activities of the Grand Duchess, so I responded with several links on recent happenings of Maria Vladimirovna and her family. How does that constitute promotion of one particular event, pray tell?

And, thank you kindly, but one was already aware that Transnistria is not recognized by any members of the UN. ;)

Why is she butting in on this? If Moldova is going to separate from Russia, which means possible separatist conflict, she is putting herself in the position of supporting the separation of a country from Russia, which is sure to pizz off Putin. She has no idea just how much fire she is playing with.

Moldova already is independent. It declared its independence when the USSR fell apart and is a recognized nation. Transdnistria is a breakaway from independent Moldova and is not a recognized nation.

I see.

Either way, what I meant is that while Moldova is recognized and she has been there, the issue is that she is letting the Imperial House get dragged into the issue of the breakaway republic. She owuld be best to distance herself from that and frankly it's a testy issue and she should disavow the Imperial House from involvement.

Sounds like she wants some press for herself (and the illusion that her opinion on such matters is still important). She probably isn't in much danger, as official governments will continue to ignore her. If I were Putin, I'd see it as more humorous (or daft) than anything else.

Does anyone know how to contact Maria's office?

Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George were in Lausanne from 14-15 January to take part in the celebrations of the 60th birthday of King Fuad II of Egypt.

Google Translate

Does anyone know how to contact Maria's office?
A copy and paste from Benjamin's link...

Office of the Head of Russian Imperial House HIH The Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna

Mailing address:
Russia, 105066, Moscow,
str. Old Basmannaya, 21 / 4, 37
tel. (7-499) 261-69-64, fax: (7-499) 265-54-19
Official site of the Imperial House:
www.imperialhouse.ru

The Vladmimirovichi Ambition

I thought this would be an interesting topic. the Vladimir Grand Dukes and Duchesses have always been fiercely ambitious people and from Cyril and Ducky to Maria and Georgi.

My dear AristoCat,

Yes, the Vladimirs seemed to compete directly with the ruling Tsars, at least Nicholas, in St. Petersburg society for attention and influence. What do you know about the Cyril's parents?

Nothing really; I just know that Marie Pavlovna competed with the Tsarina and even had the gall to suggest that the Empress be 'eliminated' to a member of the Duma.

members of the duma she did try to arrange in 1916 a puntsh to put her son cyril as regant when that failed they switched sides in 1917

Vladimir's ambition might have started after the early death of his eldest brother, the Tsarevich Nicholas "Nixa" died. Nixa had been a very cultured young man whereas the new heir, the future Alexander III, was a boorish kind of man. Vladimir felt that he, being cultured and sophisticated (he and Maria Pavlova were big francophiles) should have been the next tsar. In 1888, a train carrying Alexander and his entire family derailed resulting in fatalities. However, the imperial family all survived and Vladimir (or maybe Maria) supposedly lamented that they would never have a chance to get so close to the throne.

Use of the style and title HIH Grand Duchess of Russia

I think I've just read about five years worth of this thread, and I'd like to thank the many people who have posted interesting details about the Russian succession, the end of the Romanov dynasty, the fate of the Romanov family and its life in exile. I'm not uninterested in these things or the question of who is the putative heir to Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.

However, channeling here for Miss Manners, I think the use of the title "Grand Duchess" in connection with Maria Wladimirovna is a protocol error. If she were invited to the White House because of her charity work, say, she wouuld not be addressed as such. This title is not a piece of Romanov family property; it is short for "Grand Duchess of Imperial Russia," a position that was eliminated a while back. I'm fine with courtesy titles for the first generation of refugees, but the kids have to marry back into it. She has a title by marriage, but it is not "Grand Duchess."

If you don't have a system of constitutional monarchy to point to, you have no right to a title. Moreover, anybody who grants the title is making a political statement. Parenthetically I wondered how the former German nobility manage to keep their titles despite this objection, and it turns out it is done by automatically making the title part of the legal name of the person, as a matter of German law. However there are no legal privileges whatsoever, much less stipends.

I'd be happy to let the matter hang on the following question: What has Vladimir Putin ever addressed her as, or referred to her as in public? Does he ever use the title "Grand Duchess?" Pardon, but I can't visualize the words "Imperial Highness" passing his lips without a smirk there. What I really think is that he would never say such a thing.

However, Vlad's the de facto government of Russia, so I'm willing to be instructed by his call. After all, the tsarist system was always an absolute autocracy that never had any slightest taint of constitutional monarchy, so she is, as legitimately as any Romanov ever was, whatever he styles and titles her as.

That the remains of the former system are now talking to the new management should set all but the most hopelessly romantic teeth on edge.

Maria V. must be very happy that a partial breakaway 'country' now recognizes her as a member of the defunct Imperial Family. The two other Romanov males who remain should be the 'Tsar' and Tsarevich' depending on who is older, and Prince Georgi Hohenzollern will still not be 'Tsarevich' no matter how much his mother may disagree!

Official Recognition of Titles

I can not agree with Miss Manners that it is a lapse of protocol to refer to Maria Vladimirovna's as an Imperial Highness and a Grand Duchess of Russia. I don't know about the White House, but when the Grand Duchess made an official visit to Australia in 2007 she stayed at Government House here in Melbourne as the guest of the Governor of Victoria. She was listed in the Vice-Regal Notes by her imperial style and title, and was guest of honour at an official dinner hosted by the Governor. In Canberra the Grand Duchess visited Parliament House as an official visitor, accompanied the First Secretary of the Russian Embassy. Again her imperial style and title were used. None of this would have been possible without some sort of approval from the Russian government.

The Grand Duchess is also received and acknowledged by her style and title all over Europe; the Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Pope, the reigning and non-reigning houses of Europe. To address her as anything else would be, in my opinion, a true breach of protocol.

Grand tribute to Russian Anzacs | Herald Sun

Official Visit to Australia by Grand Duchess Maria of Russia

I agree. The diplomatic and etiquette protocol is to address a royal personage by their style and title as a matter of courtesy, whether or not that title reflects a reigning house.

Regardless of whether people agree Maria Vladimirovna is the rightful heir to the Russian throne, she is unquestionably a Grand Duchess of Russia and Imperial Highness as the daughter of HIH Grand Duke Vladimir Kirllovich, de-jure Tsar of All Russias and Head of the Imperial House.

She is always addressed as "Her Imperial Highness" and referred to as "Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna" in Russia and elsewhere.

The dialogue of the Grand Duchess with the local authorities of Tiraspol is rather strange.

Now I am one of those who dispute your her claim not because I dislike like her but what the old house laws says that is my reason.Some people did not think she has the right to hold the style of Her Imperial Highness nor the title of Grand Duchess.

Last edited:
I agree. The diplomatic and etiquette protocol is to address a royal personage by their style and title as a matter of courtesy, whether or not that title reflects a reigning house.

Regardless of whether people agree Maria Vladimirovna is the rightful heir to the Russian throne, she is unquestionably a Grand Duchess of Russia and Imperial Highness as the daughter of HIH Grand Duke Vladimir Kirllovich, de-jure Tsar of All Russias and Head of the Imperial House.

She is always addressed as "Her Imperial Highness" and referred to as "Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna" in Russia and elsewhere.

Maria Vladimirovna's right to hold the title Grand Duchess and the style of Imperial Highness are very much subject of dispute. She certainly insists both are used when referring to her, but that doesn't mean she is actually entitled to either. All her styles and titles are by courtesy, as is the case with royals of all former monarchies; as such, individuals, officials and organisations may choose to use or omit them.

I haven't actually seen Maria Vladimirovna addressed to as "Her Imperial Highness" or "Grand Duchess" anywhere in Russia (apart from the Church). In fact, she is almost always referred to as "self-styled Grand Duchess" or "one of the pretenders to the Russian Throne". Not that most Russians are even aware of her existence, mind you.

The head of the chancellary of the Grand Duchess in Ukraine :

The Director of H.I.H.

Ukraine is an independent country and I do not understand why Grand Duchess Maria and her advisers have to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Duchess is pretender to the Throne of the Russian Empire - and Ukraine used to be part of the Russian Empire. Obviously, she doesn't have anything to do with the modern Ukrainian republic, and I doubt the majority of Ukrainians even know about her existence.

If she tries to support imperialist ideas she has no chance to ever become an Empress.

Maria Vladimirovna has no chance anyway, so she might as well have a bit of fun. ;)

Back
Top Bottom