GD George Alexandrovich (1872-1899) - Nicholas II's brother

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kallia17

City
Athens
Country
Greece
It's a shame there isn't a thread about this handsome Romanov, so I started this one.

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia was the son of Alexander III and Maria Feodorovna, the younger brother of Nicholas II and Tsarevich form 1894 to his death. He is described as a very handsome man (to which description I agree), full of fun, with great sense of humor and a well-loved member of the Romanov family.

I would love to know more about his life and personality. What was he like? Were there any love interests for him during his short lifetime? To which of his siblings was he closest to? There is this rumor; that he had a lover and illegitimate children while on Caucasus - is it true? Are there any primary sources such as his diary, letters etc. preserved at the Royal Archives or the Russian State Archives?

And is there any book in English or Russian that sheds some light to his mystery?

Please share some photographs if you have any.

Thanks, guys.

Kallia

I got a picture and signed card from the descendant of Georg Alexandrovich, Borwin Macklenburg.

All I've ever read of GD Georgiy is that he lived a quite isolated life in his palace in the Caucasus. Quite tragic really. And the consensus is that he was terribly ill from his TB for much of the time which would preclude defacto wives, illegitimate children, etc.

There's a discussion about that here, plus photos.

Grand Duke Georgiy Aleksandrovitch (1871-1899) discussion, pictures II

I got a picture and signed card from the descendant of Georg Alexandrovich, Borwin Macklenburg.

Dear AlexLLL, is Borwin Macklenburg a descendant of George's rumored illegitimate children? This is very interesting! Would you please send me some contact info on Borwin Macklenburg? Your precious help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for sharing this info with us.

Dear AlexLLL, is Borwin Macklenburg a descendant of George's rumored illegitimate children? This is very interesting! Would you please send me some contact info on Borwin Macklenburg? Your precious help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for sharing this info with us.

Borwin Duke of *Mecklenburg* is son of George Alexander (1921-1996), grandson of George Alexander (1899-1963), and great-grandson of George Alexander (1859-1909). They are *cousins* of Grand Duke George Alexandrovich, who left no descendants.

Last edited:
The Grand Duke George was also Tsesarevich from his older brothers accession in 1894 until his death in July 1899.
His younger brother,Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich then became Tsesarevich up until the birth of Alexei in 1904.

He had a friendship/correspondence/mild flirtation with his first cousin Princess Maud of Wales and their first cousin Nicholas of Greece. Due to the shortage of names Russian Georgie was "Musie" and Greek Nicky was "Mr. Toad", Maud being "Stumpy".

Here they are holding hands. https://www.rct.uk/collection/search#/17/collection/2927352/group-photograph-at-fredensborg-1883 Even the RCT makes it very difficult to determine whether there is a picture of the three of them, however.

Ironically, it's to George she wrote referring to yet another cousin, Carl of Denmark (the kid in the hat sitting in front of them) quite frankly as "daft" — he's the one she ended up marrying.

Also, the thread title is incorrect; George was born in 1871, not 1872.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom