Engagement of Grand Duke George Mikhailovich of Russia & Nob. Rebecca Bettarini

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The article calls her 'doctora' but I don't find any mention of her doctorate in the article itself. Did any of you catch a mention of her doctoral studies in the article that I might have missed?

Page 7 discusses her education.
https://cuadernosdeayala.es/wp-conte.../CAyala-83.pdf

"Rebecca Virginia Bettarini, Doctor
in Political Science -International Mention
and Community-" "She obtained the European Baccalaureate in 2000, and started the career of Political Science at the University Luiss Guido Carli, from Rome, where she graduated in November 2004 with a thesis on trade
agricultural and standards of the Organization World Trade." Thesis can be a reference to a doctorate. "Successively, has got a master in European law".

and Community-" "She obtained the European Baccalaureate in 2000, and started the career of Political Science at the University Luiss Guido Carli, from Rome, where she graduated in November 2004 with a thesis on trade
agricultural and standards of the Organization World Trade." Thesis can be a reference to a doctorate. "Successively, has got a master in European law".

There is also the masters thesis.

Since there is only mention of two degrees (well three with the law degree), it suggests that the thesis was a masters thesis (which is what numerous blogs have posted). Very rarely can one skip a masters and go straight to PHD.

There is also the masters thesis.

Since there is only mention of two degrees (well three with the law degree), it suggests that the thesis was a masters thesis (which is what numerous blogs have posted). Very rarely can one skip a masters and go straight to PHD.

The original question was from Somebody: "The article calls her 'doctora' but I don't find any mention of her doctorate in the article itself."

Mentioning thesis without mentioning an actual degree, masters vs doctorate may indicate language barriers/translation or depending on the university people don't actually skip but more like combine curriculums including masters prep ending with a doctorate.

My younger brother graduated from American University in Paris in Business, 4 more years at one of the Sorbonnes (Paris?) with a PhD in economics.

According to: Visit of the Grand Duke to St. Petersburg with the Director of the Russian Imperial Foundation — The Russian Legitimist

"Miss Bettarini attended the Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli in Rome, where she received her BA in political science. She then went on to attain an MA in development economics and international development from the Società Italiana Organizzazione Internazionale in Rome." No mention of law or a doctorate in political science.

The mystery of Rebecca Virginia Bettarini, Doctor continues.

I think this is a matter of how educational titles are called in different countries.
Before the Anglican BaMa system was introduced in Europe. The same education was called differently in different countries.
My father went for a congress to Germany in the 70's. He had finished uni (4 years) and in the Netherlands you are then called "doctorandus, drs in short". But Germany did not have that title and called him Doctor. On spite of him not having done a PhD.

I think this is a matter of how educational titles are called in different countries.
Before the Anglican BaMa system was introduced in Europe. The same education was called differently in different countries.
My father went for a congress to Germany in the 70's. He had finished uni (4 years) and in the Netherlands you are then called "doctorandus, drs in short". But Germany did not have that title and called him Doctor. On spite of him not having done a PhD.

Excellent explanation, somewhat similar to my brother in the 80's in France although he received an equivalent PhD once back in the US. Mystery of the doctorate solved. I think we can say Miss Bettarini is, nevertheless, well educated. Thank you, SLV:flowers:

What faith was Rebecca Virginia prior to her conversion to to Russian Orthodoxy?

Yes, I read that part several times but it is extremely unlike that someone obtains a doctorate at the age of 22; 4 years after finishing high school. And afterwards goes on to pursue her master's degree... So, the thesis was most likely a Bachelor thesis (which might have had a slightly different name; or could even have been a combined 'Bachelor/Master'-degree; which would be a 'doctorandus' in the Netherlands; meaning that you have qualified to start a trajectory towards a doctorate).

I think you are right; so, the Spanish publication incorrectly calls her a doctor.

It happened to me once as well at the very first conference I attended; when they thought I had two doctorates (as my title was 'drs.') while I had just started to pursue my PhD.

According to: Visit of the Grand Duke to St. Petersburg with the Director of the Russian Imperial Foundation — The Russian Legitimist

"Miss Bettarini attended the Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli in Rome, where she received her BA in political science. She then went on to attain an MA in development economics and international development from the Società Italiana Organizzazione Internazionale in Rome." No mention of law or a doctorate in political science.

The mystery of Rebecca Virginia Bettarini, Doctor continues.
This confirms that her first degree was indeed a Bachelor's (or probably the Italian equivalent at that time - causing the confusion).

Found some more information that might be relevant on Wikipedia. Apparently, those with a master's degree are called 'dottore' in Italy...

Universities in Italy fits the framework of the Bologna Process since the adoption, in 1999, of the so-called 3+2 system. The first level degree is the Laurea triennale that can be achieved after three years of studies. Selected students can then complete their studies in the following step: two additional years of specialization which leads to the Laurea Magistrale.

The "Laurea triennale" corresponds roughly to a Bachelor Degree while the "Laurea Magistrale" corresponds to a Master Degree. Only the Laurea Magistrale grants access to third cycle programmes (Post-MA degrees, Doctorates or Specializing schools), that last 2 to 5 years (usually completing a PhD takes 3 years). However, there is just a single five-year degree "Laurea Magistrale Quinquennale" (Five-Year Master of Arts) for some programmes such as Law (Facoltà di Giurisprudenza), Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti) and Music (Conservatorio di Musica). Medical schools (Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia) are part of some universities and they only offer six-year courses. The title for MA/MFA/MD/MEd graduate students is Dottore (abbreviation in Dott./Dott.ssa or Dr., meaning Doctor). This title is not to be confused with the PhD and Post-MA graduates, whose title is Dottore di Ricerca (Research Doctor or Philosophy Doctor).

Last edited:
Viktoria will not bear the title of Grand Duchess and style of HIH but she will bear the title of Princess (Fuerstin in German) and style HSH.

But I think that their children will bear titles of Grand Dukes/Duchesses and styles of HIH

I read somewhere that Gr Dss Maria needs an approval of Russian Church for it.

Viktoria will not bear the title of Grand Duchess and style of HIH but she will bear the title of Princess (Fuerstin in German) and style HSH.

But I think that their children will bear titles of Grand Dukes/Duchesses and styles of HIH

I read somewhere that Gr Dss Maria needs an approval of Russian Church for it.

Usually a Fürst is a reigning Prince and a Fürstin his wife.

But what in the English speaking world is translated as Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess is in German Großherzog and Großherzogin. (Used for Luxembourg).

In German the Russian title is translated as Großfürst and Großfürstin. The Russian title in Dutch translation: Grootvorst and Grootvorstin. It is more correct because the Latin Magnum Princeps translates in English as Grand-Prince and not as that lousy Grand-Duke.

Seen from the German translation the word Fürstin seems logical if used in combination with her husband:

Seine Kaiserliche Hoheit der Großfürst Georgi und Ihre Hoheit die Fürstin Victoria von Rußland.

Last edited:

Not always. There are the Ducal Families of Hohenberg and Urach where the head of the Famuily is a Duke all other Family members are Fürst/Fürstin.

But what in the English speaking world is translated as Grand-Duke and Grand-Duchess is in German Großherzog and Großherzogin. (Used for Luxembourg).

In German the Russian title is translated as Großfürst and Großfürstin. The Russian title in Dutch translation: Grootvorst and Grootvorstin. It is more correct because the Latin Magnum Princeps translates in English as Grand-Prince and not as that lousy Grand-Duke.

Seen from the German translation the word Fürstin seems logical if used in combination with her husband:

Seine Kaiserliche Hoheit der Großfürst Georgi und Ihre Hoheit die Fürstin Victoria von Rußland.
More correctly "Seine Kaiserliche Hoheit der Großfürst Georgi von Rußland und Ihre Durchlaucht die Fürstin Victoria Romanoff" since Victoria, as per her future mother-in-law's decision, will be a Serene Highness and carry the title of Princess Romanoff.

Not always. There are the Ducal Families of Hohenberg and Urach where the head of the Famuily is a Duke all other Family members are Fürst/Fürstin.

These are the exemptions which confirm the general rule ? .

More correctly "Seine Kaiserliche Hoheit der Großfürst Georgi von Rußland und Ihre Durchlaucht die Fürstin Victoria Romanoff" since Victoria, as per her future mother-in-law's decision, will be a Serene Highness and carry the title of Princess Romanoff.

Ihre Durchlaucht is eeermmm, let me say "low" for the wife of an Imperial Highness.
See the traditional ranking... I had not thought Victoria would rank below Hoheit.

Ihre Kaiserliche und Königliche Hoheit
Ihre Kaiserliche Hoheit
Ihre Königliche Hoheit
Ihre Großherzogliche Hoheit
Ihre Hoheit
Ihre Durchlaucht die Fürstin Viktoria Romanow
Ihre Erlaucht
Ihre Hochgeboren
Ihre Hochwohlgeboren

:ohmy::ermm:

I think Grand-Prince Georgiy will elevate his wife to a Kaiserliche Hoheit (Imperial Highness) when he is the Chef of the House Romanov. Maybe it is staged as a two-step elevation to let the currect Chef save her face, as she was adamant on Ebenbürtige marriages in the Imperial House.

Wouldn't she be Ihre Königliche Hoheit die Prinzessin Georg von Preußen anyway, as wife of George (who is in reality the son of a Prince of Prussia and titles pass via legal male agnatic descendance)?

Last edited:
Wouldn't she be Ihre Königliche Hoheit die Prinzessin Georg von Preußen anyway, as wife of George (who is in reality the son of a Prince of Prussia and titles pass via legal male agnatic descendance.

but then he would need the permisson of Prince Georg Friedrich for the marriage.
But i think it was agreed at the time of his parents marriage that their children would not be prussian dynasts.

Yes, I read that part several times but it is extremely unlike that someone obtains a doctorate at the age of 22; 4 years after finishing high school. And afterwards goes on to pursue her master's degree... So, the thesis was most likely a Bachelor thesis (which might have had a slightly different name; or could even have been a combined 'Bachelor/Master'-degree; which would be a 'doctorandus' in the Netherlands; meaning that you have qualified to start a trajectory towards a doctorate).

I think you are right; so, the Spanish publication incorrectly calls her a doctor.

It happened to me once as well at the very first conference I attended; when they thought I had two doctorates (as my title was 'drs.') while I had just started to pursue my PhD.

This confirms that her first degree was indeed a Bachelor's (or probably the Italian equivalent at that time - causing the confusion).

Found some more information that might be relevant on Wikipedia. Apparently, those with a master's degree are called 'dottore' in Italy...

Excellent investigatory work, Somebody. See, you eventually answered your own question.

I think Grand-Prince Georgiy will elevate his wife to a Kaiserliche Hoheit (Imperial Highness) when he is the Chef of the House Romanov. Maybe it is staged as a two-step elevation to let the currect Chef save her face, as she was adamant on Ebenbürtige marriages in the Imperial House.

I agree and will be happy when/if it happens. The imperial rank will then also be extended to their children, too, and the imperial family, as it were, will continue!

but then he would need the permisson of Prince Georg Friedrich for the marriage.
But i think it was agreed at the time of his parents marriage that their children would not be prussian dynasts.

By my understanding both father Prince Franz Wilhelm as well son Prince George of Prussia are dynasts. Franz Wilhelm made an Ebenbürtige marriage to Maria Vladimirovna Romanova and Georg is their son.

We see it with more royals:

Seine Kaiserliche und Königliche Hoheit Erzherzog Lorenz von Österreich-Este
Son Altesse Royale le prince Lorenz de Belgique

Son Altesse Sérénissime la princesse Caroline de Monaco
Ihre Königliche Hoheit die Prinzessin von Hannover

Her Serene Highness Princess Victoria Romanoff
Ihre Königliche Hoheit Prinzessin Viktoria von Preußen

Last edited:
I agree and will be happy when/if it happens. The imperial rank will then also be extended to their children, too, and the imperial family, as it were, will continue!

But if he elevated her doesn't he basically admit that he's not the undisputed head of the house?

I agree that he may do so but he technically has the same "problem" as his mother, even if unlike her he hasn't spent many years fighting the rest of the family because of it.

Once he raises her and/or their children to "Imperial" status he has to acknowledge all the other unequal marriages as legitimate for dynasts.

Once he raises her and/or their children to "Imperial" status he has to acknowledge all the other unequal marriages as legitimate for dynasts.
I don't believe that he does. All other Romanovs are descended from unequal marriages that were contracted during the "reigns" of his grandfather and great-grandfather. He could claim that he can't (or rather doesn't want to) alter decisions made by his ancestors like King Carl Gustav of Sweden replied to his uncle Count Sigvard's wish to get his royal title back. Most other head of houses that have changed the rules regarding the membership of their house have done so for the current and future generations not those that came before.

But if he elevated her doesn't he basically admit that he's not the undisputed head of the house?

I agree that he may do so but he technically has the same "problem" as his mother, even if unlike her he hasn't spent many years fighting the rest of the family because of it.

If Georg, as son of a German father, registers himself in Germany he can use the republican style Georg Prinz von Preußen and as his legally wedded wife she can be Viktoria Prinzessin von Preußen in all legal documents of an EU memberstate. Absolute legality versus titles of pretension as Princess Romanoff which is in no any Russian or Italian municipal registry.

With other words: Mrs Maria V. Romanova can issue a decret in which her daughter-in-law becomes Princess Romanoff but in essence that is the same as my parents making me Emperor of Atlantis. It is pure pretension.

(That is also why the current Duke of Parma and his siblings requested recognition and incorporation of their foreign title into the Nobility of an EU memberstate. Now they have official documents with their legally protected title and surname, no longer a ritle of pretension).

Last edited:
I don't believe that he does. All other Romanovs are descended from unequal marriages that were contracted during the "reigns" of his grandfather and great-grandfather. He could claim that he can't (or rather doesn't want to) alter decisions made by his ancestors like King Carl Gustav of Sweden replied to his uncle Count Sigvard's wish to get his royal title back. Most other head of houses that have changed the rules regarding the membership of their house have done so for the current and future generations not those that came before.

One exception is bavaria where the marriages of Pricnes Lutpold, Leopold and Adalbertwhere recognized as dynastic in 1999. but apprently this was done by a Family Council so probably not only Duke Franz but the other adult male dynasts gave ther Consent.

By my understanding both father Prince Franz Wilhelm as well son Prince George of Prussia are dynasts. Franz Wilhelm made an Ebenbürtige marriage to Maria Vladimirovna Romanova and Georg is their son.

We see it with more royals:

Seine Kaiserliche und Königliche Hoheit Erzherzog Lorenz von Österreich-Este
Son Altesse Royale le prince Lorenz de Belgique

Son Altesse Sérénissime la princesse Caroline de Monaco
Ihre Königliche Hoheit die Prinzessin von Hannover

Her Serene Highness Princess Victoria Romanoff
Ihre Königliche Hoheit Prinzessin Viktoria von Preußen

But Georg's marriage won't be 'ebenbürtig' (which was/is important for Georg Friedrich as well), so wouldn't that prevent GF from giving permission, meaning that she nor any children they might have would be members of the house of Preussen? (I'd say they can claim the surname 'Prinz of Preussen' as that is a separate issue)

(That is also why the current Duke of Parma and his siblings requested recognition and incorporation of their foreign title into the Nobility of an EU memberstate. Now they have official documents with their legally protected title and surname, no longer a ritle of pretension).
Same for Carl Christian and his brother Rudolf being incorporated in the Belgian nobility in the early 80s - but with a much lower style (serene highness).

But Georg's marriage won't be 'ebenbürtig' (which was/is important for Georg Friedrich as well), so wouldn't that prevent GF from giving permission, meaning that she nor any children they might have would be members of the house of Preussen? (I'd say they can claim the surname 'Prinz of Preussen' as that is a separate issue)

Yes, that is true but even when Georg Friedrich denies his nephew permission to marry, there is no morganatic title.

For an example: Prinz Albrecht von Preußen divorced his wife Marianne prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau. The Prince then married one of his former wife's hofdames: his longtime maîtresse Rosalie von Rauch. This was seen as morganatic. Rosalie was given the title Gräfin von Hohenau.

Another example: Nikolaus Wilhelm Prinz zu Nassau married Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina. This was seen as morganatic. Natalia was given the title Gräfin von Merenberg.

When Georg Friedrich considers Rebecca as morganatic, he can not make her Gräfin von Steglitz or something because he no longer has the possibility to issue morganatic titles. For Federal law Rebecca still will be Prinzessin von Preußen by marriage.

Last edited:
Did Virginia Rebecca legally change her name to Victoria Romanova? Or is it only a religious name that she will use in the Russian context? So, what is stated in her Italian passport?

Back
Top Bottom