Coronation of Nicholas II 1896 & other Grand Occasions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but since the tsar went to the ball and the Russian peasants weren't too pleased. The believed he should have did more about the disater.

Of course in the Orthodox faith there is a lot of superstition and a lot of outcomes can be blamed on "omens" and "fates" and "evil eye"... [snipped]
Right you are... Pikul noted that common people looked upon Khodynka tragedy as an ill omen. It was said that Nicholas II started his reign in blood and would finish it in blood. Needless to say that this foreboding came true.

A reading of detailed reports of what occurred at Khodynka and the immediate aftermath will make your hair stand on end. As Odette states above, Massie describes the scene as a battlefield, other reports describe it as carnage.

"We expected the party would be called off. Instead it took place if nothing had happened and the ball was opened by Their Majesties dancing a quadrille." It was a painful evening. "The Empress appeared in great distress, her eyes reddened by tears" the British Ambassador informed Queen Victoria. Masses of simple Russians took the disaster at khodynka Meadow as an omen that the reign would be unhappy. Other Russians, more sophisticated or more vengeful used the tragedy to underscore the heartlessness of the autocracy and the contemptible shallowness of the young Tsar and his 'German woman'
Sergius Witte, just after the tragedy.

I believe I have read somewhere (and I can't remember exactly where right now) that the imperial couple only stayed at the French ball that evening for a very short time. Opening the ball with one dance and then leaving shortly afterwards out of respect (so to speak) for the victims of the tragedy. I know they were pressured into going to the ball by the uncles because of diplomatic reasons.

Of course, over a century later, we have the 20/20 hindsight to realize what a terrible blunder this was. If such a tragedy happened today of course the ball would have been cancelled. But nowhere do I ever recall reading anything about the hosts of the ball considering canceling it out of respect to the victims. I think that shows how times have changed.

I also recall reading that they were scheduled to attend another ball the next evening but decided to cancel their appearance. I will try to see if I can locate my source on this.

The Tsar did not want to go to the Ball but was advised that should he not do so others may be offended, the Ball being given by the French. GD Serge had been in charge and he should have taken the full blame and be dismissed but Alexandra interjected on behalf of GD Ella to keep his position, or so I read somewhere. Horrible start to the reign and of course down hill from there.
Totally agree. Nicholas was being overwhelmed by at least two of his three uncles and he did not have the strength to go against their wishes.
The fact they went to the ball and opened it dancing the quadrille is something a lot remembered. The fact that they were both tense and worried and spent the day in prayer did not impress many. If it was his army that caused the panic and the mayhem that ensued, he could be blamed. They tried to keep up appearances and follow etiquette, unfortunately, one of many blunders.
Yes, but since the tsar went to the ball and the Russian peasants weren't too pleased. The believed he should have did more about the disater.
I do not believe the Russian peasants were the problem. Actually from what I have gathered they were the ones who truly loved and respected the Imperial family. What more besides skipping the ball could he have done for this particular disaster?
Right you are... Pikul noted that common people looked upon Khodynka tragedy as an ill omen. It was said that Nicholas II started his reign in blood and would finish it in blood. Needless to say that this foreboding came true.
Well, first it was the "German" who came to Russia behind the coffin. Then it was the chain holding the order of St Georges that slipped off Nicholas' shoulders the day of the coronation, then came Khodynka and it never stopped. Some reigns were doomed from the onset and this one was a perfect storm so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Throne Speech 1906

This isn't necessarily coronation related, but here is a website that has pictures from a speech of sorts made by Nicholas II in 1906, attended by the Court. The pictures are remarkable.

http://www.romanovrussia.com/LargeNIIphoto.html

Thanks for such magnificent photos!
Dowager Empress Marie Fedorovna looked regal and sharp, whereas Empress Alexandra Fedorovna seemed rapt in contemplation.

I think the wonderul pictures (thank you for the link!) emphasize the personalities of both the Empress and Dowager Empress. The Empress was known to be very shy and disliked very public occasions (such as a coronation where there was no way to avoid being scrutinized). However, the Dowager Empress was known to have a more "outgoing" personality. I think it shows in the pictures, even though it's a very formal ceremony.

I do not believe the Russian peasants were the problem. Actually from what I have gathered they were the ones who truly loved and respected the Imperial family. What more besides skipping the ball could he have done for this particular disaster?
This disaster happened all from a rumor that there might not be enough beer and presents for everyone.
Nicholas and Alexandra are not guilty, they had nothing to do with the problem.. All they could have done was visit the hospitals and help out with the wounded peasants. They did all they could to help. But, some of them were mad that the peasants that were killed, didn't get their graves marked.

I absolutely agree. One the things that struck me most about the pictures were that the personalities are reflected within the stances and posture of each person photographed. That's the amazing thing about candid pictures; they catch one acting in such a way that we get a glimpse of their "true selves." Alexandra was very shy, which gave her the (false) impression that she was aloof and unfeeling. Minnie, however, was just that...outgoing, elegant, and proud of the fact that she was the wife and mother of Tsars.

I love looking at pictures and portraits that portray the coronation, because one can imagine that it wasn't easy for anyone involved, especially Minnie, whose position was "being taken away" (although she certainly never conceded to her daughter-in-law) by a woman who thwarted her hold over her son and the monarchy. Scrutiny would have been unavoidable...the gossips would have been avidly hunting for the slightest hint or inclination that something was amiss between the empresses.

This disaster happened all from a rumor that there might not be enough beer and presents for everyone.
Nicholas and Alexandra are not guilty, they had nothing to do with the problem.. All they could have done was visit the hospitals and help out with the wounded peasants. They did all they could to help. But, some of them were mad that the peasants that were killed, didn't get their graves marked.

I understand. Throughout history some never got away with anything, even when things happened that were beyond their control. One could think that if Nicholas had married someone who was vivacious, more open, less shy that Alexandra, he could be more loved and forgiven by the Russian people. Even if he still reigned the way he did.

King's book The Court of the Last Tsar was GREAT reading!! There are sections on about every aspect of the NII's court - including the 1896 Coronation.
I'd suggest it for any fan of the latter days of the Romanovs.

I have visited Versailles and the Hermitage/Winter Palace and had the same thought at both places. When people have so much and the rest have so little, there is little doubt that one will atack the other. Yes, they traded for other difficult regimes, but the French have made out well and the Russians, too, may have a better life. Al Bina is correct. There was nothing to gain under their old regimes.

It's amazing to think that Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna is the great grandmother of The Duke of Kent; Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra as her daughter, Grand Duchess Helen, was Princess Marina's mother. They certainly have an ancestry that no other British Royal can match.

The Kent family is by far the truly most royal of the British Royals.....
However, if I remember correctly.... the late Queen Mother, the late Princess Diana, and the late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester all had royal ancestors (though not legitimate).

Warren , thanks for the great pictures , I never saw such a lot of jewelry to-gether.
Behind there are 7 Grand Duchesses, you missed one , in your list they are 6?

Was their an Oath of Office when he was Crowned??

Was their an Oath of Office when he was Crowned??
That Nicky took? I am not sure on that one though I do know that there was an oath that the Grand Dukes swore to Nicky and it was that same oath that prevented Mischa from ursurping the throne when his relatives wanted to put Alexandra in a convent and him to take up Regency with Alexis. (See the Crawfords Book: Michael and Natasha.)

Perhaps coronations should not take place in poor countries such for Russia,
The Shah of Iran and President Bokassa.

It was a holy event for a Russian Tsar to be crowned. Not so much for pagentry.

Such pageantry was probably welcomed by the people as a continuation of the monarchy and an occasion to celebrate. The unfortunate stampede and massacre at Khondynka caused a lot of resentment and who knows, maybe if Nicholas had more of a back bone, he might have stood up to his uncles and canceled the ball given by the French Ambassador.

:previous:Exactly, look how Catherine the Great used pagentry to her advantage when she was Tsarina. She must have taken a page from Cleopatra and the Ptolomy's.

Out of curiosity.... what was the length of the Empress' & Dowager Empress' trains?
And the Grand Duchesses?
Didn't they all have to stand for hours and hours through the long services???

And her gown was cloth of gold & all the ermines....
and the dowager empress was cloth of silver????

I can't remember the exact length of the Empress' train, but I know she was covered from head to foot literally with every preciouos gem imaginable. Yes, They all had to stand for hours and hours.

The Empress' gown and robes were made of cloth of gold, which is extremely heavy. I can't remember from which article the quote came from, but in summation, a noble recalled seeing the Empress standing stock-still for a moment, simply because she couldn't move without assistance from a page or one of her ladies-in-waiting due to the weight of her ornaments.

On alexanderpalace.org, there's an article pertaining to court dress, and it seems that the other ladies of the court could only wear cloth of silver if the Empress wore cloth of gold, which was on rare and special occasions. It seems safe to assume that the Dowager Empress wore cloth of silver at their coronation.

And her gown was cloth of gold & all the ermines....
and the dowager empress was cloth of silver????
Which gave Alix headaches and fatigued her. I would imagine it did the same to the other Grand Duchesses and Minnie.

Thanks!! I remember reading all that somewhere as well. I guess I will have to ransack books and remember where it was.....

Russo -didn't just about everything give Alix a headache and fatigue?

:previous: I don't know if " everything" would give her a headache (she was definitely easily tired), but certainly the coronation itself would. It was a royal and extremely formal event and the worst part was that she couldn't avoid it. And I don't think that having to pass this through wearing a dress heavily embroidered with tissue made from a precious metal was helping her to deal more easily with the situation. It must have been a true nightmare for her shy nature.

Back
Top Bottom