Catherine II "The Great" (1729-1796)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yekaterina was the greatest empress ever. we were blessed to have her. bring back the old times soon!!!!

Was she the only female ruler of Russia?

Was she the only female ruler of Russia?
No,she wasn't the only one.Though she was the greatest and the wisest female ruler Russia ever had,she was not the only one.
Before Catherine the ruler was the aunt of her husband,Elizabeth of Russia(1709-1761),the daughter of Peter the Great of Russia .Before Elizabeth the apparent ruler was Anna of Russia(1693-1740).But only Catherine put a specific European imprint and started reforms.
Before these modern rules there were attempts of female reign in the person of the Peter the Great's stepsister Tsarevna Sofia Alexeevna,but she was forced to abdicate by Peter and sent to monastery for the rest of her life.
The first well-known female ruler of Russia was The Saint Princess Olga,the grand-mother of Prince Vladimir ,the Prince who christened Russia.
Elizabeth of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anna of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tsarevna Sophia Alekseyevna of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Olga of Kiev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cathreine for russia , is Katrina

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait really because I throught that Catherine in Russian was ekaterina

Catherine the great was born princess Sophie of anhalt zerbst , who married her cousin Peter III a nephew of the czarina Elizabeth and became rulers until Peter III was killed and became czarina by herself and was succeeded by her son Paul.

New Robert Massie book

Catherine The Great: First She Read, Then She Ruled : NPR

"How did a German princess from a minor noble family become the empress of Russia, and win the praise of Voltaire, Montesquieu, Diderot and other giants of The Enlightenment? In Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, Robert Massie explains the story of Catherine II, who ruled Russia for 34 years.

So how does a German teenager become the empress of Russia?"

v cover

Attachments

• Catherine.jpg
    Catherine.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 984
My dear Kasumi,

Thank you very much for posting the link to the radiocast and the article. I enjoyed both.

In 1785, Catherine II took up playwriting.
Her efforts were produced at the palace, albeit under a pseudonym.

The epithet "Great" was bestowed on Catherine II by her own nobility in the third year of her reign.

With Empress Catherine II, by imperial manifesto issued on February 26, 1764, all ecclesiastical lands and property became state property. The church itself became a state institution.

Why did Alexis Bestuzhev, Empress Elizabeth's chancellor, oppose Grand Duke Peter's marriage to a German princess Sophia (Catherine)?

:previous: To put it simply, because he hated France, and Prussia and many other German states were allies with France. The other major alliance was Anglo-Austrian which he believed Russia benefited more joining. Catherine's father though a Prince of Anhalt, was a Prussian general. Alexis worried a German bride would tie them closer. Frederick of Prussia helped arrange the marriage to weaken Russia's link to Austria, and bring Alexis down.

Oddly Alexis later allied with Catherine, who brought him out of exile when empress. Odd he sided with the full German (Anhalt/Holstein) over the 1/2 Russian Peter (Russian/Holstein).

Peter oddly was meant to be King of Sweden. He was named heir by parliament to Frederick I, but Elizabeth chose him heir at the same time and renounced his claim to Sweden for him. Adolph Frederick was chosen king instead. Peter was great nephew of Charles VII. His paternal grandmother was Hedvig Sophia of Sweden, Charles' older sister. Hedvig was her brother's heir until she died, He was succeeded instead by younger sister Ulrika and her husband Frederick, and Hedvig's son was considered heir. Peter's dad died when he was he was small. Peter's mother left him in the care of his great-uncle Christian, prince of Eutin. Adolph Frederick, Christian's son was chosen king of Sweden in hopes of helping make an alliance with Russia since Adolph's father helped raise Peter. Wonder how different things would have been if Sweden claimed him first.

Read the book on Catherine by Simon Seabag Montefiore.Well written,very good!

Saw,again,the exhibit on Catherine II at the Hermitage,..so so,a disappointment really

Before Peter became the heir of Elisabeth he was possibly going to be King of Finland and Sweden? Was there a 3rd choice or was it just Emperor of Russia?
I like Catherine but I'm willing to take a 2nd look at Peter, considering his son I wonder if the father really was as bad as Catherine suggested.

Before Peter became the heir of Elisabeth he was possibly going to be King of Finland and Sweden? Was there a 3rd choice or was it just Emperor of Russia?
I like Catherine but I'm willing to take a 2nd look at Peter, considering his son I wonder if the father really was as bad as Catherine suggested.

Wasn't two options a lot already :D No, Sweden/Finland and Russia were the only offers. Well he did technically have a second position. He was the Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, after the death of his dad when he was 11.

How Paul turned out is barely a reflection on his father. Even the worst of men have good children and the other way around. Although most records of his behavior were from his wife's perspective.

Some of the reforms Peter enacted, many of which were over turned, did show a side that seemed to care for his people. He made it a crime to kill one's serf. And he improved their rights. He disbanded the secret police, seeing it as heinous for its actions. He seemed to have been inspired by the work of his grandfather Peter I.

With Empress Catherine II, by imperial manifesto issued on February 26, 1764, all ecclesiastical lands and property became state property. The church itself became a state institution.

This was one of the things she seemed to agree with her husband on. Peter had actually started the initiative to take the church lands. He had been inspired by his grandfather Peter I. It passed under Catherine's rule though.

During Catherine II's first week on the throne, couriers were riding to European capitals with assurances that the new Empress wished to live in peace with all foreign powers.

Even before she learned of Peter III's demise, Catherine II showed those who had put her on the throne with promotions, decorations, money, and property. Gregory Orlov was given fifty thousand rubbles.

In 1767 Empress Catherine II announced that she would make a voyage down the Volga. She would cruise through the heartland of Old Russia. The voyage was on a grand scale. Traveling south down the Volga River, Catherine marveled at the wealth of nature along its banks.

A very strong willed Lady. I like her. One thing other it must have taken a long time to get her dressed,there are lots of layers of cloth.

Portrait of Catherine II in her 50s, by Johann Baptist von Lampi the Elder.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...B.Lampi_(1780s,_Kunsthistorisches_Museum).jpg

Marble statue of Catherine II in the guise of Minerva (1789–1790), by Fedot Shubin.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._в_"Русском_Музее",_г.Санкт-Петербург_(2).jpg

Monument to Catherine the Great in Saint Petersburg, surrounded by prominent persons of her era.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Denkmal_für_Katharina_II._in_St._Petersburg.jpg

Grave of Catherine The Great.
https://c1.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G2117d2a7/22143895_3YGwL.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom