Anna Anderson's claim to be Grand Duchess Anastasia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if all these grand dukes and princes valued the dynastic rights as much as you think, why wouldn't they have married 'equally' themselves? And what was there to inherit anyway? A throne that doesn't exist anymore and that is about it. Sometimes people pretend (not you btw) that there were millions just waiting for any heir, but AFAIK there wasn't a penny.

I believe with the war there was a bit of a shortage of titled people. Then you have the money issue. Grand Duke Dmitry didn't do poverty well so he ended up marrying an heiress for his title and hanging around with Coco Chanel and her crew for the freebies. Xenia's husband Sandro didn't do poverty well either hooking up with some rich socialite in Monaco or the French Riviera, I can't remember which.
Then there's the issue of marrying "For Love". . . :whistling:

Sometimes people pretend (not you btw) that there were millions just waiting for any heir, but AFAIK there wasn't a penny.

I'm not so sure about that. Okay, maybe not billions but it is a well-recorded fact that Russian Grand Duchesses brought very rich dowries when they married into other European Houses. I doubt these dowries consisted of land in Russia but was more like money, shares in companies etc. - the way money was transfered in the 1800s and early 1900s. As an example: when Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrowna married the second son of queen Victoria in 1974, her father tsar Alexander II. deposited 20 million pounds in a bank in London. At least there are sources claiming that to be true.

Plus the Russian Imperial family liked to travel in style all over Europe - so they needed to have bank accounts outside of Russia to pay for that. Not necessarily filled with fortunes, but some money surely was there.

It is known for example that empress Elisabeth of Austria amassed a private fortune which she kept in a Swiss bank account in case her husband was froced to abdicate in case of a revolution. Historians found a letter from her to her husband saying that Franz Joseph should think about retiring with her to Switzerland - and she promised they would have a more than comfortable life from her private funds... I personally have no doubt that there were such accounts for some of the Romanovs as well. Russia has always been a difficult country to control so it would have been stupid not to take care in advance.

Last edited:
There's rumors, Jo, that there's wealth out there. I'm still trying to figure out why the whole cover up and why people don't even want to entertain a motion that Alexis and Anastasia might have survived that horrific night.

There's rumors, Jo, that there's wealth out there. I'm still trying to figure out why the whole cover up and why people don't even want to entertain a motion that Alexis and Anastasia might have survived that horrific night.

Of course it is rumour. Swiss bank accounts have that as one of their characteristics, that only those who own them know about them....:flowers: But common sense tells me that there is quite a probability that these funds existed. The Romanovs have seen so many revolutions in their neighboring countries: first England, then France, later Austria-Hungary and Germany and Spain, they've seen the changes in Scandinavia and Italy, so they must have realised that it could happen to them as well.

As for Ananstasia: if Anastasia survived - who would have ever been able to prove that Alexei did not survive, married later (on being the emperor he could without the House laws kicking in) and left an heir. Imagine what this would mean for the claim of the other Romanovs? No, if they wanted to keep their own claims, then all of the children had to be dead and stay dead.

I believe with the war there was a bit of a shortage of titled people. Then you have the money issue. Grand Duke Dmitry didn't do poverty well so he ended up marrying an heiress for his title and hanging around with Coco Chanel and her crew for the freebies. Xenia's husband Sandro didn't do poverty well either hooking up with some rich socialite in Monaco or the French Riviera, I can't remember which.
Then there's the issue of marrying "For Love". . . :whistling:

If you read the Lost Fortune of The Tsar, and Greg King's excellent book on the last court of Imperial Russia, it seems that there is a confusion as to which money was the private monies of the Romanovs and the state money, obviously N&A considered themselves the state, assuming that any money abroad would be theirs if they went into exile, which may have been their mistake, whatever monies there were in his name Nicholas supposedly repatriated during the war as did AF.

The monies in the Mendehlssohn (sp) bank were the accounts for the four daughters. Which German hyperinflation after WW I took to almost nothing. Unless these Grand Dukes, or Princes had foreign wealth or investments, their money most likely stayed behind with them in Russia. I believe Dimitri sold his palace before going into exile after the Rasputin removal, so he had some small fortune, but I imagine they went through it PDQ. I think that the Yussopov family did have investments outside of Russia, and they lived
quite well for some time.

Last edited:
Good points Cumberland, plus something else:
Would a couple that was so blind about what was really going on around them, so oblivious to their subjects real feelings and daily life, so ignorant like Nicholas and Alexandra really have the wisdom to provide for the future? A future in which their beloved Russia had kicked them out? I cannot believe that they could have ever imagined a scenerio like that. I doubt they realized the necessaties for such an act.
There was a lot of rumours that the Bolsheviks might have allowed the daughters to leave with their grandmother and that the family had refused on the grounds that with their father they would be safer, since noone would dare to attack the Czar (a funny idea, since so many of the former Czars had died in assassinations). True or not, it at least shows that the Czars family had no idea in which immediate danger they were, nor had they had any premonition.

Very good point Fee. I hadn't considered that. I do seem to remember something about Nicholas having investments in the U.S., but believe that was
repatriated during the war.
Nicholas and Alexander could not have possibly imagined that there might come a time when they would have to live in exile. After all, both were adamant in their belief that Nicholas ruled by Divine Right. For either of them to have considered that Nicholas could be overthrown would have been to doubt what they considered the will of God.
Do you think it possible that they did set aside money for their daughters for a dowry?
Lexi

>Peter Kurth would be another world-renowned expert on genetics like Shay McNeal, would he?<

No, he wouldn't. I am not a scientist, nor was I in any way connected with the DNA tests of 1994 apart from carrying a single lock of AA's hair to England -- NOT the sample from the bookstore in Chapel Hill, but one "in private hands," so to speak, and automatically worthless as evidence since it had been handled by so many people (as is also true of the hair from C.H.). The sample I carried was intended for Dr. Gill, but was not delivered directly to him, but rather to a reporter for the BBC who acted as intermediary, just as the testing of the blood of Carl Maucher was arranged, not by scientists, but by commercial television producers in Britain, who, since we so loosely toss around the word "agenda" here, plainly had one of their own. The sample I carried was never seen again or otherwise accounted for; none of the hair samples, to my knowledge, were restored to their owners -- which in itself, under law, would ensure that the test results were thrown out of court if anyone had ever dared to bring them there -- but of course they never did and never will.

While we're on the topic of "world-renowned experts," let me just say that, in regard to "Anna Anderson," her life and personality, I AM an expert, whereas most of the people posting here are not. I appreciate anyone's doubts and even negative conclusions about her identity with Anastasia, but I do not cede authority to those who never knew her, or anyone around her, and who thus feel free to perpetuate the most egregious (and insulting, and long disproved) remarks and notions about "what she was like," "what her motives were," and so on ... I have never in my life, over a long career in writing and journalism in no way limited to this one topic, heard so much pure bull**** streaming from so many half-baked heads as I have in this case -- a case that continues to aggravate and enrage the doubters and bring out the worst sort of prejudice in them all. You can quote me. pk

Before we state that it is "disrespectful" to the Romanovs to still probe the mystery of Anastasia/Anna Anderson, we should remember that members of the Romanov family themselves came out in her defense. I am thinking of Grand Duke Andrew and Xenia Leeds.
When Gleb Botkin asked Prince Christopher of Greece about Grand Duchess Olga's negative attitude towards Anna Anderson, the Prince said: "Of course, Olga knows better than anyone that she is Anastasia."

Before we state that it is "disrespectful" to the Romanovs to still probe the mystery of Anastasia/Anna Anderson, we should remember that members of the Romanov family themselves came out in her defense. I am thinking of Grand Duke Andrew and Xenia Leeds.
When Gleb Botkin asked Prince Christopher of Greece about Grand Duchess Olga's negative attitude towards Anna Anderson, the Prince said: "Of course, Olga knows better than anyone that she is Anastasia."
Most of the members in the Imperial family, like Grand duke Ernest of Hesse knew Anna Anderson wasn't Anastasia. Aunt, Olga and Irene even denied her. Aunt Olga, knew OTM and Anastasia very well.
Today's the birthdate of Grand Duchess Anastasia - June 18th, 1901. It will be nearly, 90 years after her death in July 17th, 1918 at the age of seventeen.

Most of the members in the Imperial family, like Grand duke Ernest of Hesse knew Anna Anderson wasn't Anastasia.

And how did Grand Duke Ernest know that she was not Anastasia, he did not even meet her. When asked to come to Berlin to identify her, he refused, afraid it would hit the papers.

Aunt, Olga and Irene even denied her. Aunt Olga, knew OTM and Anastasia very well.

Olga stated to Herluf Zahle that: "My heart tells me that she is Anastasia". Later, on the behest of Gilliard, she changed her view, without ever seeing AA again. Irene said after the meeting: "She is like her, she is like her. What if it is her?" But she never returned for a second look.

Olga stated to Herluf Zahle that: "My heart tells me that she is Anastasia". Later, on the behest of Gilliard, she changed her view, without ever seeing AA again. Irene said after the meeting: "She is like her, she is like her. What if it is her?" But she never returned for a second look.

She never said, that! Show me,where she said this, Black cat? She said AA was too old to be Anastasia and doesn't resemble her at all. AA was actually FS the Polish fatory worker who ran away. Other people want to manipulate the truth.

Aunt Olga actually said this:
“My beloved Anastasia was fifteen when I saw her for the last time in the summer of 1916. She would have been twenty four in 1925. I thought Mrs Anderson looked much older than that. Of course, one had to make allowances for a very long illness and the general poor condition of her health. All the same, my niece’s features could not possibly have altered out of all recognition. The nose, the mouth, the eyes were all different.”

And how did Grand Duke Ernest know that she was not Anastasia, he did not even meet her. When asked to come to Berlin to identify her, he refused, afraid it would hit the papers.

You're right! Black cat, Ernest didn't meet AA, but he was certain from her picture, her story, the fact that he had seen the Berlin Illustrator magazine with the pictures and story on the family, and the word of others who met her, he was assured she was a complete fraud and set out to stop her ridiculous claim in its early years. He didn't want to see her, because he didn't want the speculation to get worse. Just, because he didn't meet AA doesn't mean his observation is wrong.Ernest, saw her photos and story. He notice that Anastasia had NO resemblence to the Grand Duchess Anastasia. Her eyes, lips, headline, mouth, teeth, ears, nose and eye and hair colour was different. Anastasia's hair colour was strawberry brown, and her eyes were dark grey.

Last edited:
Whose Aunt Olga? Yours? And why should we be interested in what your aunt Olga said?
No, Aunt Olga isn't my aunt. She's Anastasia aunt. Olga was very close to the imperial family. She's the youngest sister of Tsar Nicholas II. She was the daughter of both Marie Dagmar and Alexander III. You should be interested in what Olga says, because she's one of the people who proved that Anna Anderson was the true fraud and liar she really is.

Last edited:
She never said, that! Show me,where she said this, Black cat?
Herluf Zahle has been quoted in Harriet Rathlef-Keilmann's book "Anastasia, the Survivor of Ekaterinburg", and in Peter Kurth's book "Anastasia, the Riddle of Anna Anderson".
AA was actually FS the Polish fatory worker who ran away. Other people want to manipulate the truth.
Franziska Schanzkowska was actually a German factory worker who disappeared on March 9, 1920.
Aunt Olga actually said this:
“My beloved Anastasia was fifteen when I saw her for the last time in the summer of 1916. She would have been twenty four in 1925. I thought Mrs Anderson looked much older than that. Of course, one had to make allowances for a very long illness and the general poor condition of her health. All the same, my niece’s features could not possibly have altered out of all recognition. The nose, the mouth, the eyes were all different.”
Yes, she did. YEARS afterwards. Remember, both she and Gilliard left Berlin without being able to say that she was NOT Anastasia. Later, Olga wrote her: "I remember when we were together and you stuffed me with coffee, tea and chocolate." She also gave AA a photo album that had belonged to Grand Duchess Maria.

You're right! Black cat, Ernest didn't meet AA, but he was certain from her picture, her story, the fact that he had seen the Berlin Illustrator magazine with the pictures and story on the family, and the word of others who met her, he was assured she was a complete fraud and set out to stop her ridiculous claim in its early years. He didn't want to see her, because he didn't want the speculation to get worse. Just, because he didn't meet AA doesn't mean his observation is wrong.Ernest, saw her photos and story. He notice that Anastasia had NO resemblence to the Grand Duchess Anastasia. Her eyes, lips, headline, mouth, teeth, ears, nose and eye and hair colour was different. Anastasia's hair colour was strawberry brown, and her eyes were dark grey.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Herluf Zahle has been quoted in Harriet Rathlef-Keilmann's book "Anastasia, the Survivor of Ekaterinburg", and in Peter Kurth's book "Anastasia, the Riddle of Anna Anderson".
Franziska Schanzkowska was actually a German factory worker who disappeared on March 9, 1920.
[/i]
Yes, she did. YEARS afterwards. Remember, both she and Gilliard left Berlin without being able to say that she was NOT Anastasia. Later, Olga wrote her: "I remember when we were together and you stuffed me with coffee, tea and chocolate." She also gave AA a photo album that had belonged to Grand Duchess Maria.
You're right! Black cat, Ernest didn't meet AA, but he was certain from her picture, her story, the fact that he had seen the Berlin Illustrator magazine with the pictures and story on the family, and the word of others who met her, he was assured she was a complete fraud and set out to stop her ridiculous claim in its early years.
When Count Hardenberg saw the photos of AA, he said: She does not look like Anastasia or Tatiana, but a mixture of the two.
He didn't want to see her, because he didn't want the speculation to get worse. Just, because he didn't meet AA doesn't mean his observation is wrong.Ernest, saw her photos and story. He notice that Anastasia had NO resemblence to the Grand Duchess Anastasia.
If he was so sure thatshe was animpostor, it would have been very easy for him to go to Berlin and unmask her. But Count Hardenberg's excuse for not doing so, was the fear of the visit ending up in the newspapers. And remember, this was AFTER Amy Smith's visit where she made Count Hardenberg very upset in mentioning AA's memory of her uncle Ernest's alleged trip to St. Petersburg during the war.
Her eyes, lips, headline, mouth, teeth, ears, nose and eye and hair colour was different. Anastasia's hair colour was strawberry brown, and her eyes were dark grey.
I think all discussion of likeness is moot in considering that Professors Eyckhart, Klenke, Reche and Furtmayr all came to the same conclusion in their professional studies of AA and Anastasia: The two faces were identical. As for the eyes:

Gilliard described Anastasia as having blue eyes, and if I remember correctly, Anna Viroubova did the same.

Here is a description of Anna Anderson's eyes:
"But the most overwhelming feature about her are her eyes. Of a greyish-blue, changing color, they shine like stars. Looking into them one seems to see unfathomable depths, as in very deep mountain lakes. I have never seen such eyes before."
(Gitta Müller-Mittler fo Fallows, September 5, 1935.)

It is worth noting that none of Franzisca's siblings could remember the color of her eyes.

For good measure, here is Gleb Botkin's description of Anastasia's eyes:
"But her eyes - blue, luminous eyes, always sparkling with humour - were truly beautiful."

If I remember rightly it was said that Anna Anderson couldn´t speak Russian which isn´t quite so bad as it was said she couldn´t speak French... now that was very strange. She gave as an excuse when she was addressed in Russian that it brought back too many memories so she refused to answer.

If I remember rightly it was said that Anna Anderson couldn´t speak Russian which isn´t quite so bad as it was said she couldn´t speak French... now that was very strange. She gave as an excuse when she was addressed in Russian that it brought back too many memories so she refused to answer.
Yes, that is true Anna Anderson didn't know any Russian. Remember, Anna Anderson said that she didn't want to speak the langauge of the people who murdered her so called 'family'. It was of course an excuse. It wasn't proven that she knew Russian. I believe she did know a litte German.I don't believe her English was good either, it was very terrible and broken. She didn't know French either. Another reason why Anastasia isn't Anna Anderson is because of the hair. Anastasia just got her hair shaved from measles in Tobolsk in 1917. There is this last picture of Anastasia with her shaved hair.

Anastasia in 1918

Anastasia in 1915

These are two pictures of Anastasia. Notice in the first one it was the last picture taken of her. She has bangs. Unlike her, AA didn't have any bangs. Her hair grew back a couple of inches longer.The second photo, shows Anastasia with long hair in 1915. These are exactly how her bangs look. You can tell she looks NOTHING like Anna Anderson. Olga Alexandrovna stated that her nieces didn't know any German at all! They only knew, English, Russian, and French.

I'm not surprised at all. It came from a book full of inaccurate and misleading information. It doesn't help prove anything.

No, FS/AA was Polish. They both disapeared around the same time. So, what if it was nearly a month? Aren't you forgetting that technology was slower in the 1920's they only had newspapers and telegraphs to report news. Since, it was near the time where Germany was dealing with the Treaty of Versallies and President Wilson and the war.

You're right, it was five years after 1920. It's better if you use information in her biography also. So, what if they didn't stay in Berlin! She still know Anastasia because she's Olga's niece. Gilliard, knew Anastasia wasn't Anna Anderson because she didn't know any French at all, nor Russian or English. Pierre Gilliard was Anastasia's French tutor he knew she spoke fluent French, Russian and English. Olga Alexandrona said the same exact thing, too.

The Last Grand Duchess- Olga Alexandrona
When Olga entered the room, the woman lying on a bed asked a nurse: “Ist das die Tante?”[Is this the Aunt?] “That”, confessed Olga, “at once took me aback. A moment later I remembered that the young woman having spent five years in Germany, would naturally have learnt the language, but then I heard that when she was rescued from that canal in 1920, she spoke nothing but German – when she spoke at all- which was not often. I readily admit that a ghastly horror experienced in one’s youth can work havoc with one’s memory but I have never heard of any ghastly experience endowing anyone with a knowledge they had not had before it happened. My nieces knew no German at all. Mrs Anderson did not seem to understand a word of Russian or English, the two languages all the four sisters had spoken since babyhood. French came a little later, but German was never spoken in the family''.

Last edited:
Yes, that is true Anna Anderson didn't know any Russian.
Wrong. It is noted in the protocols at Dalldorf that she spoke Russian with the nurses there. The doctor who treated her at the Kleist's, said that she spoke Russian in her sleep, with good pronunciation, but mostly about unimportant things. In 1938, when she had a "good" period mentally, AA spoke Russian freely with Dr. Rudnev and Albert Coyle, an associate of Edward Fallows.
Remember, Anna Anderson said that she didn't want to speak the langauge of the people who murdered her so called 'family'. It was of course an excuse. It wasn't proven that she knew Russian.
See above.
I believe she did know a litte German.I don't believe her English was good either, it was very terrible and broken. She didn't know French either.
She spoke German very badly. (Franziska spoke good German.) Her English was good, according to Xenia Leeds, although her grammar was a little rusty. According to Dominique Aucleres, she spoke French with a beautiful accent.
Another reason why Anastasia isn't Anna Anderson is because of the hair. Anastasia just got her hair shaved from measles in Tobolsk in 1917. There is this last picture of Anastasia with her shaved hair.
Her hair was never measured in 1920, so this is a moot point.
I'm not surprised at all. It came from a book full of inaccurate and misleading information. It doesn't help prove anything.
I think you should be a little careful how you write about Mr. Kurth's meticulously researched book. It happens to be the very best book ever written on the subject.
No, FS/AA was Polish.
Read the report of the Berlin Police, it clearly states that FS was German.
They both disapeared around the same time. So, what if it was nearly a month? Aren't you forgetting that technology was slower in the 1920's they only had newspapers and telegraphs to report news. Since, it was near the time where Germany was dealing with the Treaty of Versallies and President Wilson and the war.
They did not disappear around the same time. AA was found on 2/17/1920. FS disappeared on 3/9/1920. And I don't think Frau Wingender needed a telegraph or a newspaper to deliver an "Abmeldung" to the local police!
You're right, it was five years after 1920. It's better if you use information in her biography also. So, what if they didn't stay in Berlin! She still know Anastasia because she's Olga's niece. Gilliard, knew Anastasia wasn't Anna Anderson because she didn't know any French at all, nor Russian or English. Pierre Gilliard was Anastasia's French tutor he knew she spoke fluent French, Russian and English. Olga Alexandrona said the same exact thing, too.
How very embarrassing it must then have been for Gilliard at the court in Hamburg where he had to admit to the judges that AA had spoken in Russian to his wife, Shura. According to Gilliard's memoirs, the Grand Duchesses never mastered French, only Alexei spoke it fluently.
The Last Grand Duchess- Olga Alexandrona
When Olga entered the room, the woman lying on a bed asked a nurse: “Ist das die Tante?”[Is this the Aunt?] “That”, confessed Olga, “at once took me aback.
And according to the others in the room, AA said nothing, just turned red and got a happy look on her face.
A moment later I remembered that the young woman having spent five years in Germany, would naturally have learnt the language, but then I heard that when she was rescued from that canal in 1920, she spoke nothing but German – when she spoke at all- which was not often.
See my other reply.
I readily admit that a ghastly horror experienced in one’s youth can work havoc with one’s memory but I have never heard of any ghastly experience endowing anyone with a knowledge they had not had before it happened. My nieces knew no German at all. Mrs Anderson did not seem to understand a word of Russian or English, the two languages all the four sisters had spoken since babyhood. French came a little later, but German was never spoken in the family''.
From Gilliard's timetables, now on display at the University of Lausanne, we know that the Grand Duchesses took German lessons up to the time in Tobolsk. Herr Kleinenberg was their tutor up to the revolution. Another proof is the discovery of Anastasia's schoolbooks on an auction in London. These make it clear that she took serious German lesson.

Wrong. It is noted in the protocols at Dalldorf that she spoke Russian with the nurses there. The doctor who treated her at the Kleist's, said that she spoke Russian in her sleep, with good pronunciation, but mostly about unimportant things. In 1938, when she had a "good" period mentally, AA spoke Russian freely with Dr. Rudnev and Albert Coyle, an associate of Edward Fallows.
Well, at the time she didn't know any Russian. But, later on it wasn't proven to the court that she knew Russian. There is NO evidence Anna Anderson spoke Russian nor French. She would make up excuses such as: She forgot Russian and French; because of that illness she had, Tatiana Botkin defended her for that. Another excuse was that she couldn't speak the langauge of the people who murdered her. FS and AA are the same person they knew both some German and Polish langauge.
She spoke German very badly. (Franziska spoke good German.) Her English was good, according to Xenia Leeds, although her grammar was a little rusty. According to Dominique Aucleres, she spoke French with a beautiful accent.
AA actually spoke German at the hospital. It, was regular.She perfered to speak to Gilliard in German. Olga Alexandrovna, said she couldn't be Anastasia because she doesn't know any Russian and didn't want to speak any. Olga, knew that Anastasia often spoke Russian to Alexei, Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Nicholas.That's why Gilliard, got suspicious of her because, Anastasia didn't know any German. Kashubian is from a Polish dialect and AA/FS did speak it.
Her hair was never measured in 1920, so this is a moot point.
S
o what? She didn't have bangs! Her headline was different from Anastasia's.

Notice that AA doesn't have any bangs that Anastasia have always worn. She doesn't have her facial features. There are many differences she has between Anastasia.

Anastasia's all the way to the left she has bangs.
I think you should be a little careful how you write about Mr. Kurth's meticulously researched book. It happens to be the very best book ever written on the subject.
No, your wrong! Robert K. Massie's book is accurate. Peter Kuth's book the ''Riddle of Anastasia'' and the ''Lost world of Nicholas and Alexandra'' has many inaccurate information.'' Les Fausse Anastasie'' Gilliard's book is also a great resources.
Read the report of the Berlin Police, it clearly states that FS was German.
Yes, she spoke German, but wasn't BORN in Germany it was actually in Poland. Franziska Schanzkowska is Anna Anderson. Remember, she left from Poland to go to Germany. Anderson only wanted to pretend to be Anastasia because she believed her life was very useless. She pretend to be Tatiana at first, but Clara suggested she's too short to be Tatiana. So, then she decided to be Anastasia. Sophie came in and said she couldn't be Anastasia. Of course she's a liar! AA tricked people into believing her so she can get money and attention. That's why AA went all the way to America so she can get attention.

Baroness Sophie Buxhoevedon's said:
The eyes and forehead showed some resemblance to the Grand Duchess Tatiana Nicolaievna, resemblance that disappeared, nevertheless, as soon as her face was not covered. I had to remove the cover by force, and I saw that neither the nose, the mouth, nor the chin were formed like that of the Grand Duchess.

She was angered by the fact her fiance was killed. She did seek to become a actress. She even tried to kill herself, that's when the Berlin police stoped her. AA/FS is mentally ill, she was in two hospitals before she disapeared! They disapeared at the same time.

The Russian aristocracy spoke French to each other and Russian to the servants. Why on earth would Anastasia speak German to her French tutor?
I am just amazed at how many apparently intelligent people could believe her fantastic story. I would be overjoyed if any of the Imperial family escaped but unfortunately they were all brutally murdered.

The Russian aristocracy spoke French to each other and Russian to the servants. Why on earth would Anastasia speak German to her French tutor?
I am just amazed at how many apparently intelligent people could believe her fantastic story. I would be overjoyed if any of the Imperial family escaped but unfortunately they were all brutally murdered.
Exactly! NAOTMAA did speak Russian and French. Also, English too! That's right! She can't be Anastasia if she only talks in German to Gilliard. AA didn't not know any French period! None of the Romanovs survived. Anastasia died along with her family at the age of seventeen. Believing in her fantasy story, proves how people don't respect the Romanovs memory.

And according to the others in the room, AA said nothing, just turned red and got a happy look on her face.
No, AA said something in German.

From Gilliard's timetables, now on display at the University of Lausanne, we know that the Grand Duchesses took German lessons up to the time in Tobolsk. Herr Kleinenberg was their tutor up to the revolution. Another proof is the discovery of Anastasia's schoolbooks on an auction in London. These make it clear that she took serious German lesson.
No, the girls never took German lessons. They didn't know German at all! There is no evidence Anastasia took German. She had only letters in, English, French and Russian. NOT, GERMAN.

How very embarrassing it must then have been for Gilliard at the court in Hamburg where he had to admit to the judges that AA had spoken in Russian to his wife, Shura. According to Gilliard's memoirs, the Grand Duchesses never mastered French, only Alexei spoke it fluently.
No, the grand duchesses did master French. Haven't you seen the artwork and letters they wrote in French, to Gilliard?

Last edited:
Well, at the time she didn't know any Russian.
As I explained to you, it is noted in the protocols at Dalldorf that she spoke Russian with the nurses there. Erna Bucholz testified that she spoke Russian like a native, not like a foreigner who learnt it later in life.
But, later on it wasn't proven to the court that she knew Russian.
And where is your source for this?
There is NO evidence Anna Anderson spoke Russian nor French. She would make up excuses such as: She forgot Russian and French; because of that illness she had, Tatiana Botkin defended her for that. Another excuse was that she couldn't speak the langauge of the people who murdered her. FS and AA are the same person they knew both some German and Polish langauge.
If you care to read my previous posts, you will see that FS spoke good German, while AA spoke it badly with a typical Russian accent. AA knew no Polish. Nurse Thea Malinovski testified to that.
AA actually spoke German at the hospital. It, was regular.She perfered to speak to Gilliard in German. Olga Alexandrovna, said she couldn't be Anastasia because she doesn't know any Russian and didn't want to speak any. Olga, knew that Anastasia often spoke Russian to Alexei, Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Nicholas.That's why Gilliard, got suspicious of her because, Anastasia didn't know any German. Kashubian is from a Polish dialect and AA/FS did speak it.
As I have already stated, Gilliard had to admit in the Hamburg court that AA did indeed speak Russian to his wife.
So what? She didn't have bangs! Her headline was different from Anastasia's.
Notice that AA doesn't have any bangs that Anastasia have always worn. She doesn't have her facial features. There are many differences she has between Anastasia.
Anastasia's all the way to the left she has bangs.
Anastasia did not have bangs in Siberia. Your ramblings about her headline make no sense. 5 experts have found the faces of AA and AN to be identical.
No, your wrong Robert K. Massie's book is accurate. Peter Kuth's book the Riddle of Anastasia and the Lost world of Nicholas and Alexandra has many inaccurate things.''
Les Fausse Anastasie'' Gilliard's book is also a great resources.
And how do you know that? From your posts, it is very clear that you have not read up on the subject, but form your own opinions.
Yes, she spoke German, but wasn't BORN in Germany it was actually in Poland.
The province where she was born belonged to the German Empire at the time. It is in Poland today.
Franziska Schanzkowska is Anna Anderson. Remember, she left from Poland to go to Germany. Anderson only wanted to pretend to be Anastasia because she believed her life was very useless. She pretend to be Tatiana at first, but Clara suggested she's too short to be Tatiana. So, then she decided to be Anastasia. Sophie came in and said she couldn't be Anastasia. Of course she's a liar! AA tricked people into believing her so she can get money and attention. That's why AA went all the way to America so she can get attention.
She left from her little Dorf to go to Berlin, where she worked as a bottle washer, a waitress, a factory employee and a far employee. And she did not pretend to be Tatiana, she confessed to Thea Malinovsky in fall of 1921 that she was Anastasia. Later, Clara Peuthert mistook her for Tatiana. And believe me, money and attention were the last thing she was seeking. Maybe you could disclose your sources <ed> ?
Baroness Sophie Buxhoevedon's said:
The eyes and forehead showed some resemblance to the Grand Duchess Tatiana Nicolaievna, resemblance that disappeared, nevertheless, as soon as her face was not covered. I had to remove the cover by force, and I saw that neither the nose, the mouth, nor the chin were formed like that of the Grand Duchess.
Again, Sophie Buxhoeveden is running against the experts as far as likeness goes.
She was angered by the fact her fiance was killed. She did seek to become a actress. She even tried to kill herself, that's when the Berlin police stoped her.
AA/FS is mentally ill, she was in two hospitals before she disapeared! They disapeared at the same time.
Yes, FS was declared mentally ill. AA was NEVER declared mentally ill.And who said she was seeking to become an actress? Sources, please. According to her sister Gertrude, FS was "just one of the girls."

Exactly! NAOTMAA did speak Russian and French. Also, English too! That's right! She can't be Anastasia if she only talks in German to Gilliard. AA didn't not know any French period! None of the Romanovs survived. Anastasia died along with her family at the age of seventeen. Believing in her fantasy story, proves how people don't respect the Romanovs memory.
See my previous posts.
No, AA said something in German.
She said nothing as her aunt Olga walked in. Afterwords, Zahle asked her: "Who was that?" AA answered: "My aunt Olga, Papa's sister."
"Why did you not address her by name?"
"I was so happy, I could say nothing."

As it turned out, they had sent in Olga after Gilliard to see if AA would mistake her for Shura, but she did not. When Shura later entered the room, Olga said: "Who is that, you must introduce me." "Shura", said AA.
No, the girls never took German lessons. They didn't know German at all! There is no evidence Anastasia took German. She had only letters in, English, French and Russian. NOT, GERMAN.
Did you read my previous posts about this? If not, please go back and do so.
No, the grand duchesses did master French. Haven't you seen the artwork and letters they wrote in French, to Gilliard?
According to Gilliard, the girls never got a good grip on French, Alexei was the only one who mastered it.

I can see that you want Anastasia to have survived and blindly believe in a book. Go ahead, believe. I only wish that you were right but it is no use arguing about it she is dead now, the crime was committed. I wonder what Prince Philip thinks about this, he was very close to his cousins. But believe me GD Anastasia would never speak German to her French tutor.

I can see that you want Anastasia to have survived and blindly believe in a book.

I am only sticking to the facts. And I get my facts from books, not A BOOK. Of course, we will probably never know which stories are true or not, but since I was not there, I have to rely on information from those who were, such as Harriet Rathlef Keilmann, Gleb Botkin, Tatiana Botkin, the Duke of Leuchtenberg, Xenia Leeds, Herluf Zahle etc etc.

Go ahead, believe. I only wish that you were right but it is no use arguing about it she is dead now, the crime was committed. I wonder what Prince Philip thinks about this, he was very close to his cousins. But believe me GD Anastasia would never speak German to her French tutor.

AA spoke German or English to everybody. When Dominique Aucleres slipped into French, AA would answer her in the same language. She would use Russian now and then without being aware of it, but as soon as someone pointed out to her that she had been talking in Russian, she denied it. Only in 1938, when she had a good mental period and really felt happy, she would overcome her fear of speaking Russian and used it freely with Albert Coyle and Dr. Rudnev. (See Fallows' notes.)

I can see that you want Anastasia to have survived and blindly believe in a book. Go ahead, believe. I only wish that you were right but it is no use arguing about it she is dead now, the crime was committed. I wonder what Prince Philip thinks about this, he was very close to his cousins. But believe me GD Anastasia would never speak German to her French tutor
Black cat, has always been the same as before. He refuses to accept the fact that AA was never Anastasia. You're defending AA, as everyone said she's your goddess. I really had enought of you.You argue with everyone, it's just like the cat chasing his tail a thousand of times! He always post the same inaccurate information. I'm quite sure Prince Phillip would be mad at us, still discussing something that's been already proven for years. AA is proven to not be Anastasia for over 12 years. She's not Anastasia period. Most of the family members had the brains to figure out that, a mentally ill fraud isn't Anastasia. Prince Phillip knows that AA is not relative to him anyway. Exactly! It wouldn't make any sense for Anastasia to speak German to her french tutor. The fact is: AA didn't know any French, if she did she wouldn't have said she rather speak German instead to Gilliard then. Sydney Gibbes denied AA and he was Anastasia's English tutor.
I am only sticking to the facts. And I get my facts from books, not A BOOK. Of course, we will probably never know which stories are true or not, but since I was not there, I have to rely on information from those who were, such as Harriet Rathlef Keilmann, Gleb Botkin, Tatiana Botkin, the Duke of Leuchtenberg, Xenia Leeds, Herluf Zahle etc etc.
If you're sticking to the facts why are you not getting any of your sources from Olga Alexandrovna or Gilliard? They are the ones who know all about the Real Anastasia.Of, course BlackCat would count on the information from the AA supporters, they barely know the imperial family as well as their close relatives. You should be getting your information from: Sydney Gibbes, Baroness Sophie Buxhoevedon,Olga Alexandrovna, Gilliard, Princess Irene, Grand Duke Ernest, and Robert K. Massie's book: Romanovs: final chapter. These are the people who really helped and cared about Real Anastasia.
Yes, FS was declared mentally ill. AA was NEVER declared mentally ill.And who said she was seeking to become an actress? Sources, please. According to her sister Gertrude, FS was "just one of the girls."
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! AA is mentally ill, she was in two hospitals before she went missing! Haven't you read that when she was older she was very mentally ill what about those hundreds of cats she had! Trying to kill yourself, would make you mentally ill and sick! That's something AA did. She thought her life was useless and not grea. So, then she had the idea to pretend to be Tatiana first, then Clara said she's too tall to be Tatiana. That's when she started to claim to be Anastasia. She did it for money, and fame she didn't care at all about the REAL ANASTASIA. Even before DNA, people were smart enough to figure out AA wasn't Anastasia. Everyone can with common sense.

I've been greatly interested in the Anna Anderson case for four years, since I was 11. While I've always harbored this hope that perhaps she was the real Grand Duchess Anastasia, there always seems to be pieces missing from the puzzle. I'm going to say that I really don't know if she was or if she wasn't. There is compelling evidence for both cases and both sides of the story. Some of the evidence just seems very concrete for Anna Anderson such as the almost identical ears, the handwriting, and many of her memories. But at the same time, of course there's the DNA test, which basically proved that she couldn't have been Anastasia unless the DNA was from another source. There's also the fact that many of her relatives didn't recognize her and the lawsuit she started to get whatever was left of the Romanov fortune.

The languages are a whole other issue. There was a nurse from the asylum that Anna Anderson was in who said that she could understand Russian and sometimes spoke it to her. Anna Anderson could speak English, as was shown when she moved to America and didn't need to learn it all over again. She was also familiar with many English nursery rhymes that she could've learned from OTMA's childhood nurse, Miss Eager, who was Irish. I don't know if she truly did speak Russian or if the nurse lied, or if she could speak French. One of the detractors in the AA case is that Anastasia could not speak German, but AA could.

One thing I do know is that she wasn't Franciska Schanzkowska. There are just too many loopholes in that story. I still hope that Anastasia and Anna Anderson were the same person and that Anastasia was somehow able to survive the great tragedy that killed her entire family, I can't be sure. Hopefully one day, the truth will be revealed, but for now, it seems like there's no way for me to completely believe one side or the other.

Black cat, has always been the same as before. He refuses to accept the fact that AA was never Anastasia. You're defending AA, as everyone said she's your goddess. I really had enought of you.You argue with everyone, it's just like the cat chasing his tail a thousand of times! He always post the same inaccurate information.
Wrong on all points.
I'm quite sure Prince Phillip would be mad at us, still discussing something that's been already proven for years. AA is proven to not be Anastasia for over 12 years. She's not Anastasia period. Most of the family members had the brains to figure out that, a mentally ill fraud isn't Anastasia. Prince Phillip knows that AA is not relative to him anyway. Exactly!
So why don't you take the evidence to court and get a legal decision?
It wouldn't make any sense for Anastasia to speak German to her french tutor. The fact is: AA didn't know any French, if she did she wouldn't have said she rather speak German instead to Gilliard then. Sydney Gibbes denied AA and he was Anastasia's English tutor.
Se my former posts.
If you're sticking to the facts why are you not getting any of your sources from Olga Alexandrovna or Gilliard? They are the ones who know all about the Real Anastasia.Of, course BlackCat would count on the information from the AA supporters, they barely know the imperial family as well as their close relatives.
Oh, I have gotten lots of information from Olga and Gilliard. Just think of Olga who said to Harriet von Rathlef Keilmann: Shura and our little one seem happy to have found each other again. I am so glad I came, Mama was so against me leaving. If I only had some money, I would do anything I could for the little one. As it is, I have to earn my pocket money by painting.
And Gilliard said: What has become of the Grand Duchess, she is a veritable ruin. I will do anything I can to help the Grand Duchess.
Olga then told Herluf Zahle: My heart believes that the little one is Anastasia. And before they left Berlin, they left without being able to say that she was not Anastasia.
You should be getting your information from: Sydney Gibbes, Baroness Sophie Buxhoevedon,Olga Alexandrovna, Gilliard, Princess Irene, Grand Duke Ernest, and Robert K. Massie's book: Romanovs: final chapter. These are the people who really helped and cared about Real Anastasia.
Yes, I have gotten all this information. Sophie Buxhoeveden was definitely of the belief that AA was an impostor. Olga very much changed her story after the meeting. Gilliard has been caught in so many lies that nothing he says can be trusted. Princess Irene was so troubled by the whole thing that the subject became taboo in the household. Grand Duke Ernest never met her. And yes, I have read Massie's book.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! AA is mentally ill, she was in two hospitals before she went missing!
You have her confused with FS who was declared mentally ill.
Haven't you read that when she was older she was very mentally ill what about those hundreds of cats she had!
She was declared sane, but unable to take care of herself.
Trying to kill yourself, would make you mentally ill and sick! That's something AA did. She thought her life was useless and not grea.
Well, if you had gone through as much as she allegedly did, you might see things in a different light.
So, then she had the idea to pretend to be Tatiana first, then Clara said she's too tall to be Tatiana.
I think you have your information somewhat mixed up. She first came out in 1921 as Anastasia. Then Clara Marie Peuthert mistook her for Tatiana. Then Buxhoeveden hauled her out of bed and declared her too short for Tatiana.
That's when she started to claim to be Anastasia. She did it for money, and fame she didn't care at all about the REAL ANASTASIA. Even before DNA, people were smart enough to figure out AA wasn't Anastasia. Everyone can with common sense.
Wrong again. On all points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom