Soraya Estafandiary: Queen and later Princess of Iran (1932-2001)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I saw a movie about Soraya life, I am realy sad for her although she is not between us any more in this world, but her story became a part of the world history.

thanx for every one post pictures or information in this thread.

Today I saw a movie about Soraya life, I am realy sad for her although she is not between us any more in this world, but her story became a part of the world history.

thanx for every one post pictures or information in this thread.

TV5 Monde aired the series on Soraya Esfandiary Bakthiari last week,allthough I had seen it before,it fascinated me still.Such a sad life story,for a brief period there was hope she would have found,at least some,happiness again with Italian film director Franco Indovina but I remember he got killed in a plane crash of the coast of Sicily in 1972.Life has been harsh to her,no jewellery or title can ever replace happiness to anyone.Bless her.

Sorry if this link was posted before:
iranian.com: Pictory

Thank you, Aryan! What a different thing you posted about! I've never espected to see a cartoon (BD) when you poted the link. That's wonderful.

As for the " Lady Diana" thing...I think she was much better than Lady Diana. :)

Vanesa.

I remember watching a Barbara Walters interview of the Shah...this is when he was still on the throne i believe, and he made some really sexist comments, something about women not having accomplished as much as men. And all this time, his wife was sitting next to him, tears streaming down her face. I saw the interview clip on a Barbara Walters special a couple of years ago so i dont remember if he was married to Empress Farah at the time.

Humera - I have seen that video many times, but I do not recall any tears streaming down the face of Farah... Maybe you have seen a video with added special effects lol. She was simply disagreeing with the shah.

The comments of the shah may have been sexist, but what many people don't realize is that this was a very prevailing view among most men in the early 70's. Men accepting feminism is something quite fresh. I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember that in those times chauvinism among men was the norm - And I'm talking about men in the West. It was quite unusual that a man would be in favour of feminism in those days, unless he was a leftist intellectual, radical or a hippie. In other words, the shah's comments were not at all that shocking back then.

The shah was not at all a ruthless man - on the contrary, he was a very soft and sensitive man, but quite weak and undecisive at times as well. The fact that he divorced Soraya was because he felt a strong committment to his country and his duties as the leader and emperor of that country. He had to go against the wishes of his heart to stay loyal to his commitment to his duties as king.

He might have said some silly things about women in that interview, but if we look at his deeds we will see something quite different: He created very progressive laws in favor of women's rights - and during his reign Iranian women held several positions in the parliament, government and senate. Iran had 4 female military generals and Iranian women served in the military while this was almost unheard of in most western countries in those times! Iran had female judges, female factory workers, female police men (Also very unusual in most western countries in those times) female truck and cab drivers. So I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he said in that one interview. Besides, I heard from someone who was very close to them that the Shah and the empress appeared to have had a heated personal argument right before the interview and that the shah was very irritable because of this during the interview with Barbara Walters.

The shah made quite a few mistakes, but he was far from being the ruthless tyrant that the western media made him out to be. He was loved by the majority of Iranians in the first 25 years of his reign. In the latter part of his reign he had lost touch with his people and with reality. He was then also increasingly suffering from megalomania. But the problem was not really the shah - it was the whole system - The people around him, lying to him, brownosing to him while at the same time being against him. What finally brought him and 2500 years of monarchy down was not one or two factors - It was a whole series of factors, events and elements that came together at the "right" time and led to his sudden and abrubt removal from the throne and created the world's only theocracy in existence today. And certainly certain American and British elements were involved in the Iranian revolution of 1979 in various ways.

Last edited:
Pictures of Anna Valle (Miss Italy 95) as Soraya and Erol Sander as the Shah, et al. from the telefilm. As you can see, they altered/simplified the design of Soraya's wedding gown for the movie.
I watched this film just yesterday ............ its wonderful ..:flowers:

The Italian justice department will re/open the case in which an Italian passenger DC 9-15 aircraft exploded mid air in 1980 en route from Bologna to Palermo.

Three weeks after the accident the wreck of a Libyan fighter aircraft was found nearby.The reason for the disaster had never been cleared,and many believed it must have been due to either a US or a French missile,fired while chasing the Lybian.Nothing was clear.

Untill recently as former Italian president Cossiga said the air disaster happened due to a french missile.Reason for the justice department to now re-open the case.

What it has to do with dear sad Soraya.Franco Indovina was on board the DC9 and was killed.

Hers was such a sad story. I really think she was the great love of the Shah, but they had to divorce. I think, like Jackswife, that Farah, little by little conquered his heart and I´m sure she´ll love him until she dies.

Do you ahve photos of the wedding dress and the mink coat that were sold in the auction in 2001?

Regards!

Thanks for the links, very nice dress by Dior and very nice Soraya (for me, more beautiful than Farah Diba, becouse the beauty of Soraya was other kind of beauty). But I was asking for photos of the auction when Soraya died ;)

Regards!!

And other question, what was the official tittle of Soraya when she married with the Shah? I have read that she was an Empress (false, the only Empress was Farah Diba since 1967), Princess and Queen. I know that she had the tratement of Her Imperial Majesty/Highness, but I´m not sure :(

Regards!!

Sorry but I have not find any pictures of the dress from the auction.
The offical titel of Soraya when she was married to the shah was, Her Imperial Majesty Queen Soraya of Iran and after the divorce the Imperial court of Iran gave her the title of, Her Imperial Highness Princess Soraya of Iran.

HIH Princess Soraya dress collection, I know that there are no pictures on the page but by clicking on the picture descriptions the pictures will appear:
Abiti Principessa Soraya

HIH Princess Soraya dress collection, I know that there are no pictures on the page but by clicking on the picture descriptions the pictures will appear:
Abiti Principessa Soraya

Very nice dresses :) Do you know if Soraya left Iran with all the jewels that she had in Iran? Has Soraya only jewels by Hanry Winston and Van Cleef and Arpels?

Regards!!

Soraya did not leave Iran with all the jewels that she used in Iran, some part of the jewels that she used during her time as queen of Iran was part of the Imperial Jewels of Iran, those belongs to the people of Iran and a part of it is today put on public display at the Central Bank of Iran.

A big part of Sorayas jewels that she used in exile was designed by Hanry Winston and Van Cleef and Arpels, but she probably had jewels that where designed by other Jewellers.

It is said that the shah had left some jewels for Soraya at a bank in Switzerland that Soraya received at her birthday every year, I don’t know if it is true or not.

Soraya probably like HIM Empress Farah left a lot of her personal jewels in Iran when she left for a life in exile. You can today display some of the personal jewels of Empress Farah at the Central Bank of Iran, like the famous turquoise tiara called the Niavaran tiara after Niavaran palace:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/aryamehr11/Shahbanou%20Farah%20Pahlavi/?action=view&current=Q-1971.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...ahlavi/?action=view&current=Empress_Farah.jpg

Regards, Aryan

Last edited by a moderator:
But for example when Fawzia left Iran, she left Iran with the tiara by Van Cleef and Arpels :O Farah Diba had for tiaras (esmeralds, Hanry Winston tiara used in the wedding day, turquoise tiara and a diamond tiara).

I would like to read the autobiography of Soraya (I read the autobiography of Farah Dibah and Ashraf Pahlavi, and now I´m reading the autobiography of the Shah). I will try to buy it this month :)

Regards friend!!

I have no information about the Van Cleef and Arpels tiara of Princess Fawzia, it probably was her private tiara or a tiara that she bring from Egypt after her marriage to the shah, it could be a part of the Crown jewels of Egypt.

The emerald tiara and the Nur-ul-Ain tiara that was designed for Empress Farah were a part of the Imperial Crown Jewels of Iran, the stones for the tiaras were loose stones selected from the Imperial Crown Jewels of Iran.

Princess Fawzia, Princess Soraya and Empress Farah they all have taken jewels whit them self in to exile, but I’m sure that they have only have taken private jewels that was bought by there on salary that the government gave them during their time as queen/empress of Iran or jewels blowing to their own family, no jewels from the Imperial Crown jewels was ever taken out of Iran by Princess Fawzia, Princess Soraya or Empress Farah, as I said before Empress Farah even left a big part of her own private jewels collection in Iran before leaving Iran.

The Imperial Crown Jewels of Iran have a lot of tiaras that Empress Farah did not use or used vary rarely, she usually used two emerald tiaras and the Nur-ul-Ain tiara. You can display all the tiaras of Empress Farah and Princess Soraya at the Central Bank of Iran:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/73022/photo1810.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12243686@N06/1312529378/sizes/o/
http://www.cigem.ca/treasure/
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/imperialiran/jewels1.html

The Emerald set that Princess Soraya wear at her wedding day:
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=crown+jewels+of+iran&imgurl=1cc5bd6a376fdd09

Regards, Aryan

This Thread of Soraya was fantastic!!! Thanks to everyone who has contibuted! I have read the autobiography "Palace of Solitude" translated into english, and i must say that it was written as if her life was a beautifull poem!It was actually by chance that i came accross this book not knowing who Soraya was, and now i am a true fan of hers! as a result, I have been readind many biographies of middle-eastern women of stature! i've read books on the Shah of iran, Empress Farah's recent biography, The princess trilogy about a Saudi Royal family member , La Prissoniere about morrocco's royal court and now im reading Maharani's about the raj's princesses in India.I am completely facinated by the Extraordinary lives that these women have lead and extremely fascinated with the extravagance of their surrounds.Thanks alot! I would like to know if their are any other books that anyone of you can recommend in particular biographies on Royal Exiles of the middle East? Is there a book of Princess Fawzia of Iran? There is a book on er marriage to the sha which i would like to get a copy of , any idea where?

I would liek to read a book about Fawzia too :D

Do you know if the wedding with the Shah was in Golestan Palace or in Marble Palace? I read on the internet that it was in the Glasses Room in Golestan, but in the biography of Princess Ashraf I read that it was in the Marble palace becouse this palace was easier to be hot (Soraya was already ill).

Regards!!

I would liek to read a book about Fawzia too :D

Do you know if the wedding with the Shah was in Golestan Palace or in Marble Palace? I read on the internet that it was in the Glasses Room in Golestan, but in the biography of Princess Ashraf I read that it was in the Marble palace becouse this palace was easier to be hot (Soraya was already ill).

Regards!!

According to Gérard de Villiers in his biography on the Shah (German: Der Schah - Der unaufhaltsame Aufstieg des Mohammed Reza Pahlewi) on page 224 the marriage took indeed place in the Marble Palace. The reason given by de Villiers is the very same which you have given: the possibility to heat the place. February 12, 1951 was obviously a very cold day in Teheran. Lots of snow in the streets. But obviously it was impossible to cancel the marriage. So they shortened the festivities down to four days and transferred it to the Marble palace.

i know the sister of the shah was at the funeral of Soraya,,did Soraya attend the funeral of the shah? did she send any condolences or something like that ?

i know the sister of the shah was at the funeral of Soraya,,did Soraya attend the funeral of the shah? did she send any condolences or something like that ?

I read in the Ashraf's Autobiography that Soraya sent a message to the Shah when he was in New York and in a magazine I read that she was one of the first person to send the condolences to Farah Diba.

Do you know if Soraya wore any tiara during the ceremony of her wedding? I saw the tiara that she wore during the party :O

Regards!

Soraya was a beatiful person...But I'm always asking to myself is the Shah and her lived a love story, or if their marriage was a state reason, after all. Soraya claimed to have loved Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, but we'll never know if this was true. As for him , the Shah was a sphinx in all things related to his feelings. We don't know if he loved Princess Fawzia, or Princess Soraya...However, I think that he was very happy married to Farah Diba. This is noticiable in all pics they appears together. You don't see him happy as well with his former two wives...

Vanesa.
I have to agree with you Vanesa as to the Shah's looking happier with Farah Diba than with Soraya and Fawzia.I think there is a bit of mythology to the Soraya- Shah love story.

Thanks for the links, very nice dress by Dior and very nice Soraya (for me, more beautiful than Farah Diba, becouse the beauty of Soraya was other kind of beauty). But I was asking for photos of the auction when Soraya died ;)
Its not even fair to compare Soraya's beauty to Farah or any other woman,as Soraya was a masterpiece, and natural beauties like her are extremely rare :)

I do agree with you samaa.
Princess Soraya was an absolute beauty.She was unique.Fawzia was a stunning beauty too.
Farah was also beautiful but she is not as beautiful as Soraya and Fawzia.
If I have to rank them ,Soraya is number one,then number two is Fawzia then Farah.Farah became more beautiful when she gets older.
Concerning the shah's love for Soraya,I don't think it was fake.
If he didn't love her that much,I highly doubt he will have waited many years before divorcing her.It's only because Soraya was unable to give him a heir that he divorced.
I don't understand how some can compare love simply by looking at pictures.:whistling:
If there was any sadness it can simply be explained by the fact that there was no baby coming.Nobody is totally happy when he/she is facing infertility problems.The situation is even worse when you are a sovereign.
I can't imagine how hard it was to deal with the situation when all the world knew that there was something was going wrong(infertility)and that you have to find a solution.
Though,I do like Farah a lot and I don't deny her qualities,I always thought that she was in an uncomfortable situation.Afer all,the Shah married her only because he wanted a male heir to the throne.May be they finally fell in love but I have serious doubt that the Shah loved her since the begining.

Back
Top Bottom