Soraya Estafandiary: Queen and later Princess of Iran (1932-2001)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for solving my mystery. :) flowers
It was a joint French-Italian production made in 2003. I first saw it when it aired on French TV in December 2003, and later bought the DVD. It said they consulted historians, but I do think they took some liberties (as with all bio-topic films). It is widely-known (and confirmed by Soraya's memoirs) that the Shah saw a picture of Soraya (brought by a Bakhtiari relative) and fell in love. They became engaged right after meeting, and their initial wedding date had to be pushed back due to Soraya's illness. Soraya's infertility and refusal to accept the Shah taking a second wife eventually lead them to divorce.

In the movie, the Shah is initially portrayed as a decent guy who wants to modernize and lift his country out of poverty. However, is briefly driven briefly into exile in 1953 as a result of clashes with Prime Minister Mosaddegh and restored to power with help from the United States. After that, he becomes more despotic (in the scene, Soraya watches him put on his uniform and say "I will NEVER be Mr. Pahlavi!"

The villainous "Princess Samira", a fictional cousin to the Shah, is a thinly-veiled character based on Princess Ashraf, the Shah's twin sister. Some say that the movie created the Samira character because Ashraf is still living and they did not want to offend her. Samira is portrayed as very pro-British and unpleasant towards Soraya, while the older sister, Shams, is Soraya's ally who advocated for the marriage.

It was a joint French-Italian production made in 2003. I first saw it when it aired on French TV in December 2003, and later bought the DVD. It said they consulted historians, but I do think they took some liberties (as with all bio-topic films). It is widely-known (and confirmed by Soraya's memoirs) that the Shah saw a picture of Soraya (brought by a Bakhtiari relative) and fell in love. They became engaged right after meeting, and their initial wedding date had to be pushed back due to Soraya's illness. Soraya's infertility and refusal to accept the Shah taking a second wife eventually lead them to divorce.

In the movie, the Shah is initially portrayed as a decent guy who wants to modernize and lift his country out of poverty. However, is briefly driven briefly into exile in 1953 as a result of clashes with Prime Minister Mosaddegh and restored to power with help from the United States. After that, he becomes more despotic (in the scene, Soraya watches him put on his uniform and say "I will NEVER be Mr. Pahlavi!"

The villainous "Princess Samira", a fictional cousin to the Shah, is a thinly-veiled character based on Princess Ashraf, the Shah's twin sister. Some say that the movie created the Samira character because Ashraf is still living and they did not want to offend her. Samira is portrayed as very pro-British and unpleasant towards Soraya, while the older sister, Shams, is Soraya's ally who advocated for the marriage.

Ok thank-you for your information: )

Yes they stayed in touch with each other and the saw each other mostly in French riviera, Except for the time that Soraya lived with Italian director Franco Indovina ( who resembled the shah) .
Soaraya came to Cairo to see The Shah but the Shah said he would meet her when he got better ( maybe he didn't want to hurt Farah) but he never got better and he died in Cairo.

Really? where did you read this? would also love to read :)

what was her reaction? and i am sure Farah did not like it

Really? where did you read this? would also love to read :)

what was her reaction? and i am sure Farah did not like it

Well Soraya denied any relationship with the Shah of Iran after the divorce, so her memoirs are not a good resource. As far as I know some people most of them anonymously have admitted that they have had a relationship, including Ardeshir Zahedi, when he admitted it in an interview with Radio London after Soraya's death. Also Asadollah Alam wrote about it in his private diaries.
About Empress Farah, based on what I have read, I can say 99% she didn't like it. I guess that is the reason the Shah refused to see Soraya in Cairo, maybe because he knew What her feelings would be.

Last edited:
The inheritance of Princess Soraya has finally been settled. She had intended her brother Bijan to be her heir. But he died only a few days after his sister. But there was a notice from him that his heir would be his former chauffeur. A german Court has now finally decided that he is the rightfull heir of Bijan
Das Erbe der Kaiserin erhält der Chauffeur | General-Anzeiger Bonn

I just finished a biography of the late empress Soraya of Iran, very sad & moving in my opinion, anyone interested in Soraya life in the palace, the title of her biography is "Soraya" by Constantine Fitzgibbon, my verdict is *****!!

Professor Houchang Nahavandi writes in his book "Carnets secrets. Chute et mort du Shah" that Shah and Soraya met only once after their divorce, in 1969 and afterwards their contact was broken, renewed after Shah's exile; they never already met personally, their letters to each other were send by three trusted messengers.

Soraya

Professor Houchang Nahavandi writes in his book "Carnets secrets. Chute et mort du Shah" that Shah and Soraya met only once after their divorce, in 1969 and afterwards their contact was broken, renewed after Shah's exile; they never already met personally, their letters to each other were send by three trusted messengers.
Is this book in English? & is it still available in the book stores? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom