HIH The Late Princess Leila of Iran (1970-2001)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the "Hola" links, Hilal! You are really a dear! Did you read Spanish too? If not, I can try to translate to you what these articles said. I'm not good writing English, but I suppose that people understand what I'm saying, LOL! :p

Poor Leyla (or Leila...how do you write it?) .She was so sensitive. Sensitive people couldn't undergoe things as well as other persons. I'm touched by the way she spoke about her father, and the fact that she couldn't see him when he was dying.

I do not know if she suffered from an eating disorder, but I'm sure she was depressed ( Empress Farah never denied this). Depressed people doesn't eat normally, as other people does. They can eat too much, or just the opposite, they uses to eat very little, almost anything. I think this happened to the Imperial Princess...She wouldn't have felt like eating. At the pics of the "Hola!" articles, you can easily notice what enormous amount of weigh Leyla had lost the las years of her life, especially warching her arms and her waist . It give you chills! When younger, she had normal arms , but after a while...Oh, GOD! They seemed to be a corpse's arms. As for her face, her wide, swollen lips are common in persons who are suffering severe misnutrition .

My personal thought is that she suffered from a very deep depression.

Vanesa.

INTERVIEW IN PARIS WITH The YOUNGER DAUGHTER Of SHAH MOHAMED And EMPRESS FARAH ...

LEILA PAHLEVI TURNS THIRTY YEARS
TURNED A BEAUTIFUL And ELEGANT WOMAN

She is the daughter of Shah of Persia, Mohamed Reza Pahlevi, that man who occupied tens of pages in our magazine and the elegant and handsome Empress Farah. Leila is today a beautiful and cultured princess who remembers to her father with great nostalgia: "the last words that my father said to my mother were: "It takes care of of our children".
But over everything, Shah of Persia was a very affectionate father: "Sometimes he visited to him in his office, after the school, and although he had an important meeting, as soon as I opened to the door he saluted to me with an enormous smile".
Leila wants to continue the work that his father did by his country with the Mihan Foundation that he himself created: "It is nonpolitical an international Foundation that it wants to promote the Iranian culture, history and art to create bows between Iran and the West". In fact, she lives between America and Europe although she says to be nearer the Old Contiente: "In America I feel very in house, but I am more united to the European culture".

Last edited:
Leila Pahlevi, the minor of the four children of the Empress Farah Pahlevi and Shah de Persia, Mohamed Reza, has died in London in strange circumstances. The body of the Princess, who had turned 31 years the past 28 of March, was found afternoon of the last Sunday in the suite of the hotel in that it lodged, the Leonard, one of most luxurious of the city of the Thames, located near Marble Arch, by which it paid around 140 thousand pesetas daily.
The first declarations of Scotland Yard aimed at that there were reasons no to think about suspicious circumstances, simultaneously that described the tragedy as inexplicable death. One was believed, nevertheless, that the young person suffered nutritional upheavals and depression from kill some time, which could have triggered the tragedy.
In this respect, an official notice of the heir and brother of Leila, Reza II, emitted from its office of Falls Church, in Virginia (the United States), says: "it brings me enormous pain and deep sorrow to announce the tragic passing away of my beloved sister, Princess Leila Pahlevi, after lengthy illness".
Although Leila Pahlevi had its official residence in the United States, in concrete lived in Manhattan, was very popular in the social circles of London, Paris and Rome, cities in which had multitude of friends and to whom used to travel frequently. Until its death in London, and from its birth in the Imperial Palace of Tehran, Leila Pahlevi had crossed a long way. Been born in 1970, it spent the first years immersed in an existence of fairy tale, a dream life that finished with the arrival to Iran of the Ayatollah Homeini and the expulsion of the Shah and his family of the country.
Marked by the death of their father, who happened to him in 1980 during his exile in Egypt, the Princess, her brothers and their mother, Farah Pahlevi was transferred more concretely to the United States and to the state of Connecticut. They never imagined that they would not return to step on Iran, country that Leila maintained constantly in its memory, for that reason the Mihan organization, of character nonpolitician and directed to harness the Iranian culture, centered great part of her work.

The childhood in palace

Leila Pahlevi was the minor of the four children of Empress Farah and Shah of Persia, Mohamed Reza: Reza Cyrus, the heir, it was born the 30 October 1960, ten months after the wedding of his parents, the 11 March 1963 came to the world princess Farahnaz, three years later it arrived prince Ali Reza and the 28 of March of 1970 it was born Leila.
During the first years of her life, Leila grew, like her brothers in a special school within the imperial palace, as much by reasons for security as so that thus their professors and companions, chosen between the best students of the country, did not deal to them with too much difference, which had been able to happen in a school of Tehran.
According to Leila in a granted interview told the magazine HELLO! the last year, in the occasion of their thirty birthday, the memories of those years were very present in their life: "We had zoo! Dog, cat, lions, leopard, ewes, rabbits, coberries, sprocket wheels, squirrels, given by foreign countries and even a small elephant with which it flattered Mrs. Ghandi and that later we gave to zoo, like the lion and the leopard. But I always was very united to the dogs "; in fact, one of his first memories was a "called dog Mocca.

A Family Marked By Exile

With only 9 years, Leila had to leave its life in Iran: "We left three days before my parents. Thanks to God, ours ... took the albums of photos. All the others it was back, nobody thought that we would not return ". After taking place the disorders of January of 1979, the imperial family had to leave the country and Farah Pahlevi, which also she knows herself with the name of Farah Diba, and the Shah, who marched Tehran with tears in the eyes, happened to be the sovereigns of a dream country for many, to become nomads in search of a refuge. Only the Egyptian president, Sadat and the government welcomed to them and in that country the Shah the 27 of July of 1980, after one long one passed away and painful disease.
"iT was not present when he died. Days before that happened no longer I could visit to him more. A doctor said recently to me that that the children sometimes react thus very instinctively. But I went every day to the hospital. When we found out we were in Alexandria. We received a telephone call of the Cairo and I was with my sister, probably with our governess and ours pediatra and to my sister suddenly entered panic to him and pediatra was put to say. Then I knew that something went bad. We returned in car to the Cairo. My father had a camera aid to that I want much, that she said: "He is better not to enter the room". During long time I felt like culprit by not having been next to my father in its deathbed ".

A WOMAN OF DEEP BEAUTY And TORN EYES

Leila Pahlevi grew becoming a beautiful young person who studied Comparative Literature in the Brown University and who got to settle down their residence in the United States, although without forgetting Paris and London, cities to which traveled frequently: "In America I feel like in house, but I have been more united to the European culture", affirmed for a year. Leila worked firmly in the Mihan foundation.
Created by her father, she is nonpolitical an international organization who power the Iranian culture, history and the art to create bows between Iran and the West. Watching it it was possible to be said that Leila had inherited the beauty, the voice and the gestures of her mother, as worthy as enthusiastic. But Leila, no, is doubt, was also daughter of her father; observing to speak it, the characteristics of Shah were fused with those of the overwhelming student of architecture with that married in 1959.
She was Leila, in addition, a coqueta woman, worried at any moment about its aspect and the last tendencies of the fashion. In their closet the suits of the best modistos of the world had capacity. And also, as she told us in the interview with regard to his thirty anniversary, a soñadora woman: "I am many sleepy. And not only dream with Iran... and my dreams is extraordinary. Often I write down them in the morning. No director could reproduce them Sometimes because they are so complex, so intense..., in my dreams, I even compose music. When I wake up to me I am hopeless by not being able to write it because, although I studied music has forgotten to me to write notes! But, luckyly, when dream with my father, he always is well ".

The LOVE To HER PARENTS

Very together with her parents always one felt closely together of her mother, Empress Farah: "To my mother the story everything and the memory of her father, disappeared when she was only a girl, was very present in her: "very sincere Era with me, allowed me to make any question and nothing surprised to him. Memory that was very affectionate. Each morning, in spite of all the work that it had, saw him in the breakfast.
Sometimes she visited to him in the office after the school. Although it even had an important meeting, in how much I opened to the door he saluted to me with an enormous smile. It made me laugh very many. My father, who had an enormous presence and dignity was, in fact a timid and very frank man. Its only passion and its only obsession were its country. The progress of its country ".

Mohamed Reza are been present all these years in the dreams of her daughter: "In fact acceptance that is not here. The last time which I dreamed about my father he was knocked down in the bed. It was not well, but it was surrounded by animals, that gave a serenity feeling me. My father felt a great respect and admiration and affection by the nature and the animals ".
And speaking of her parents she remembered: "There was a formidable communication among them. They had much in common. They franqueza, they correction, they judgment, they compassion, they humor, they sharpness. Luckyly all we have inherited an incredible memory of them. What I value much of my parents and in my brother is that even when somebody stopped to them by the street, they saluted to him of a very friendly way ".

Wow! You are really a dear! You translated the articles in an excellent way. I couldn't do it in the litterary way you did it. My English is quite simple and I must improve it.

So, I'm aware you can read in English and Spanish! CONGRATS!
:)

Vanesa.

In Memory of Princess Leila

June 10th 2006 marked the fifth anniversary of Princess Leila's passing away.​

I pray God Almighty for the eternal rest of dear Leila who has joined her beloved father in Heaven​

Farah Pahlavi​

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember hearing about this when it happened. So sad.:( Hard to believe it's already been ten full years. Rest in peace, Leila.

I cannot believe it's been so long since Leila passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

My thoughts and prayers with the family. It seems like only yesterday. . .

In fond Remembrance of HIH Princess Leila Pahlavi of Iran:
http://www.farahpahlavi.org/

"I pray God Almighty for the eternal rest of dear Leila who has joined her beloved father in Heaven"​

Farah Pahlavi​

May Shah and Princess Leila rest in peace, I feel sorry for Leila, I wish this hadn't happened, and the fact that she was depressed. God bless both of them.

Already five years! Poor Leila...It seems it was yesterday when she passed away. Even if I'm a Christian, I'll pray for her soul and the Shahanshah's one. May they rest in peace...:(

Vanesa.

Last edited:
It's not only a very interesting account of the events, but also a very touching article. It made me crie...:sad:

Vanesa.

Poor princess: I looked at the pictures of her, and her eyes..they strike me as so very very sad..She was beautiful but with a sad sort of karma..she must have been particularly traumatized as a youth to still have been so depressed at age 30 over what happened decades ago when her family got kicked out! But as Vanesa said, it's particularly hard to fall from so high to almost nothing..
Sad story all around. I do believe her depression had its roots as her mother indicated, in what happened to the family in the late seventies.

Yes. I think that her depression must have roots in the fall of Monarchy in Iran. And it's not so rare that a past event could traumatize you, even if you were a little child back then. Don't forget that Princess Leila had a family, and that her family must talk a lot about the Iranian revolution and about all that what happened so long ago. And she was not so little when she left her country.

And I think than the same could be said for her father's death. The Princess was not a toddler when he passed away, and she could remember him very well. Adding to this, is the fact that her beloved father, passed of being the powerful and respected Shahanshah to the man who was hated by a lot of people inside and out of Iran. The people who wouldn't like Mohammed Reza Pahlavi and wanted a Republic (Islamic or not), and said he was a tyrant, could have been wrong , but I bet that Princess Leila could felt this hate, and could also feel that many iranians hated the Pahlavy family in a whole. She must have known (she was very intelligent and sensitive) that many iranians (even some of those who are in exile and are not monarchist) didn't like her father, her family and ever herself (you could read some awful press articles released when Princess Leila died), and that they considered the Pahlavies as a symbol of corruption and tyrany (for me, this is absolutely fake, but some people DO think this way). Knowing all this and loving your country all the same must be very depressing and I wouldn't like to go through this.

So, I have an inmense respect for Princess Leila Pahlavi, and I wish that her country could find happiness again, for even in the Paradise she must be sad if she see Iran in tears.

Vanesa.

The term only the good die young does not work with this painful event such a young beautiful princess gone way before her time. her untimely death was a shock to her family , Iran and the world.I hope that someday they will find peace and healing.

The Princess was beatiful as a young woman but also as a little girl. I loved specially the photo where she appears with her Grandmother, Farideh Diba.

And of course, I began to cry when I saw the funeral pics...:cry:

Vanesa.

Little_star said:
I cannot believe it's been so long since Leila passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.
Me too Little star. you express all our thoughts and prayers so well.

May the ground that covers Princess Leila be light.
I am beginning to think somebody up there likes them young.
may she rest in peace as her memory lives forever.

She was beautiful, she reminded me of Letizia Ortiz Princess of Spain.

Back
Top Bottom