Royal, Princely and Noble Families of Germany & Austria 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
House of Thurn-Valsassina & Bleiburg Castle

Do Thurn-Valsassina family reside at Bleiburg Castle today ?

I have not been able to confirm residency at Bleiburg Castle after british military use during WWII, when & who ?

I believe the late Count Alexander Georg Ghislain (B:1879Vienna/D:1962Bleiburg) & wife Countess Aloysia (Alice) resided at Bleiburg in the early 1900's, from when ?

I believe their 2nd son the late Count Ariprand (B:1925Bleiburg/D:1996Klagenfurt) spent much of his childhood at Bleiburg before wedding Princess Maria Perpetua Euphemia and moving to Salzburg then Klagenfurt.

I cannot find photos or information of activities of the late Count Alexander Georg Ghislain or wife Countess Aloysia (Alice) over the period 1900 to now ?

Who is Erasmus van Fürstenberg??

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't appear to be a member of the Princely Family, so he may belong to the comital line, or not related at all.

Last edited:
According to the babelfish translation he drowned? But I'm not sure if that translation is correct.
ETA: Here are some articles in English- here, here

The boy has climbt in the well, slipped away and bumd his head and was unconscious, that why he is drowned. That was in the news on Germany tv

After the Revolution

As I said in an earlier post, I am just starting to study German royalty. At the moment I am reading about the 1918 revolution. It seems that the Revolution in Berlin was somewhat violent, but elsewhere it was more peaceful. I know the Kaiser felt he had to leave Germany and there was concern for his safety; the same for the King of Bavaria. However, there is little information on the other monarchs.

What was the revolution like in Mecklinberg, Oldenburg, Saxony, Baden, Wurttemberg, etc? Even if the monarchs felt the need to leave their territories, most were back in their countries within a short time and, indeed, most resumed living in their former palaces and castles, even if they lost the main residence palaces. Is this a correct view of this situation? Is there a good book on the Revolutions in English (or in German, although I am just starting the study of that language)?

Thanks for your input.

Warren recommended these books on another thread:

Crowns in Conflict - The Triumph and the Tragedy of European Monarchy 1910-1918" by Theo Aronson. This book details the personal relationships between the reigning monarchs and families in the leadup to WWI and how they were torn apart during the war;

"War and the Royal Houses of Europe in the Twentieth Century" by Anthony Devere-Summers, which covers the relationships and fate of the Monarchies during both World Wars;

Christine von Wangenheim

Who knows anything about this Countess? Apparently, she's an ex-girlfriend of Prince Felipe de Asturias and passed the Bar in the US. What else is known? I have hotlinked a photo I believe is her (she is referenced without the "von").

Rex Search Results

Sorry, I do not have access to larger photos.

She's no countess but a Freiin (German Baroness). I once used to work with a Freiherr von Wangenheim, they are an old but impoverished family.

In addition I found the following entry on:Ortenburg

Friedrich Graf zu Ortenberg (b.Oldenburg 11 Jan 1974); m.Potsdam 27 Aug 2005 Christine Frn v.Wangenheim (b.Köln 11 Sep 1978)

Here is an old article about Christine Wangenheim - SUR in English
As it says that she's from Berlin, she is probably the one who is now married to Graf zu Ortenberg.

I found another mentioning of a "Christine zu Ortenberg" who works for the headhunter firm of Kienbaum Consulting in Hannover.

Hope this helps.

Thank-you, Jo! Impoverished .. hahaha, sounds like me! But her version of what is impoverished probably varies greatly than my version ;)

Princess Robijn - if I read the very small caption under the picture with HRH Sigismund v. Preussen correctly - the other man is her fiance, Philip Medow. That probably explains why she is kissing him in other pictures!!

Independent Catholic News

London: hundreds attend engagement party of Austrian Princess and Papal Knight

The engagement party of Austrian Princess Marie-Therese von Hohenberg to Anthony Bailey (leader of Gordon Brown's new Faith Task Force), at St. John's, last June 11th, was a glittering affair, with representatives of many royal families from across Europe.

Among the guests were the bride's father, Prince Peter von Hohenberg (a grandson of the 1914 assasinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria) and an array of royalty from over twelve dynasties including Britain's Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor.

The counts Zichy-Thyssen?

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place? But yes, does anyone know about the counts Zichy-Thyssen? All I know is that they are descendants of Fritz Thyssen, and cousins? to H. Thyssen-Bornemiza. Also, that they are Hungarian counts. Anybody have more info?

Dear Ortino,
Here is a link to a website that mentions that Anita Thyssen (d.1990; daughter of Fritz) married Hungarian Count Gabor Zichy (d.1972). The two sons that resulted from this union, Federico (b.1937) and Claudio (b.1942), bear the name Zichy-Thyssen.

Wiki has an article with infos from the Encyclopedia Brittania about the Zichy-family.

Independent Catholic News

London: hundreds attend engagement party of Austrian Princess and Papal Knight

The engagement party of Austrian Princess Marie-Therese von Hohenberg to Anthony Bailey (leader of Gordon Brown's new Faith Task Force), at St. John's, last June 11th, was a glittering affair, with representatives of many royal families from across Europe.

Among the guests were the bride's father, Prince Peter von Hohenberg (a grandson of the 1914 assasinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria) and an array of royalty from over twelve dynasties including Britain's Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor.

and here there's link to their weddding party (from Hello magazine)
British millionaire weds Austrian princess in Salzburg ceremony

German TV announced that Diana Bernadotte (25) separated from her husband, the chimney-cleaner Bernd Grawe (41) and moved back to her mother together with her three-year-old daughter.
The pair had married in September 2003 when Diana was only 21! She´s the owner of a hat-fashion-shop in Konstanz where she designs hats.
Well, to tell the truth, I saw it coming.....

21 is way to young to get married. Pitty for the child.

German/Austrian Holidays

Does anyone know how the various German-Austrian royals spend the holidays? I would assume that the Habsburgs congregate around Otto near Munich; the Hohenzollerns head to their castle in Baden-Wurttemberg; the Wittelsbachs go to one of their properties in Bavaria, etc.

That is a very good question? May I also request that what German/Austrian Families holiday together?

Does anyone know if the title of Duke (or Herzog in German) was a title
used in Imperial Germany and if so was it restricted to the Royal family?
The German Empire was established under the Emperor (Kaiser) Wilhelm I in 1871. Before this, Dukes ruled their own duchies in Germany. After 1871 and up to the abolishment of the German Empire in 1918, these Dukes retained their sovereignity under their new Emperor in Berlin.

Count Carl Theodor of Ortenberg???

well...I heard his name a long time ago...and I hope that someone here give me information about him...please include some picture...thanks...:angel:

German Nobility

Thus thread is dedicated to the German nobility.

To start it off, an article from BILD, here. For those who always wanted to become a countess, german television station Sat1 started a new programme, called 'Gräfin Gesucht' (countess wanted/searched). Four nobleman are in the show. They don't give the complete names though, and I doubt if all are actually a count, some are just a 'von'.

Last edited:
Fürstin Ingia of Urach, Countess of Württemberg, née Princess of Thurn and Taxis died yesterday at the age of 85. her parents where Prince Ludwig Philipp of Thurn and Taxis, a younger son of Fürst Albert I., and Princess Elisabeth of Luxemburg. her second son Wilhelm Albert Albert is the present Duke of Urach after his older brother had to renouce after an unequal marriage

Pfullingen, Eningen, Lichtenstein - Reutlinger General-Anzeiger

Onl in August if had visited Lichtenstein castle who belongs to the Ducal family. Pictures here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom