Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo -

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you know if Ludwig lived in the Wittelsbach Palace rather than the Residenz prior to the end of the monarchy?

Yes, he did. I got the impression from varous articles that this was because the residenz was the officail seat of the mad kings Ludiwg II. and Otto I., while at first Ludwig III.'s father Luitpold and he himself were "just" prince regents for their relatives. So Luitpold lived at the Leuchtenberg Palace while Ludwig used the Wittelsbacher Palais as his townhouse - he had a passion for farming and prefered to live at Schloß Leutstetten (south of Munich, a bit north of Starnberg and lake of Starnberg) with its extensive home farm, which he had bought in 1875.

From his mother's side he had inherited an estate in Hungary which has been famous for its stud - here he died in 1921. Today the Wittelsbachs still have horses from this Hungarian estate and use them for breeding at Leutstetten - the estate is well worth a visit and has a very nice beergarden who offers Bavarian beer and food specialities in a very picturesque surrounding.

It seems that many monarchs preferred not to live in the main official royal residence but a smaller palace. I guess that just makes sense. Thanks.

Were any of the Wittelsbach at the Wiesn this year (Oktoberfest)? I remember reading that Duke Franz was at one function but I can't find any pictures.

Any news concerning the birth of Elizabeth Terberger´s second child? Strange that they don ´t announce anything. Hopefully everything went well!! (The birth was to be expected already for November!)

btw - did the US citizens know that the grandfather of the current president Bush, the father of former president Bush gave Hitler the money in 1930 to built the party headquarter and partly financed his sucessful run for German chancellorship? His dealings with Nazi Germany earned him the money to form part of the considerable Bush-fortune which has helped his son and grandson running for presidency of the US... Talk about historical irony.

Very interesting! I don't think this is known otherwise it certainly would've been used as political ammunition against them in their campaigns. But it makes sense - there is something Nazi-ish about Bush.

Any news concerning the birth of Elizabeth Terberger´s second child? Strange that they don ´t announce anything. Hopefully everything went well!! (The birth was to be expected already for November!)

They had a daughter Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia on December 13th 2007
Everything went well.
Source: Bunte 4

They had a daughter Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia on December 13th 2007
Everything went well.
Source: Bunte 4
Really? That's good to hear. I've been checking Bunte and other magazines online for any news, but I havn't seen anything. How did I miss it? Well, congratulations to the family!:flowers:

Really? That's good to hear. I've been checking Bunte and other magazines online for any news, but I havn't seen anything. How did I miss it? Well, congratulations to the family!:flowers:

It is only a small piece of text in the printed issue which came out yesterday.

From the Jacobite Yahoo Group:

Ottora - the name of the newly-born's maternal great-grandmother Ottora Haas-Heye, Countess Carl Ludwig Douglas.

Elisabeth - the name of her mother, Princess Elisabeth, and her grandmother, Princess Max, born Countess Elizabeth Douglas

Victoria - the name of her great-great-grandmother, mother of Ottora Haas-Heye, Grafin Viktoria zu Eulenberg, the daughter of a prominent Prussian diplomat and politician, Philipp, Fürst zu Eulenburg und Hertefeld (born in Königsberg, the former Capital of the Teutonic Order, today still occupied by Russia, under the totally Soviet name, Kaliningrad), a one time Prussian Ambassador to Bavaria, who married a Swedish Countess.

Lucia - named after St. Lucy, whose feast it is on December 13, the day when little Ottora was born. The feast of St.Lucy is particularly popular amongst the Swedish people, as the day when they light their Advent Candle (Lucy = Lux = Light) before Christmas.

> Elizabeth;s husband, Dr Daniel Terberger. Dr Terberger is the Chief Executive Officer of KATAG AktionGesellschaft, a leading German fashion house and retail clothing and textile company, based at Bielefeld, North Rhine-Westphalia. He is, incidentally, himself, regarded as one of the best-dressed and most elegant men in German corporate life.
> http://www.katag.de/

replaced copyrighted images with links

Dorothea Prinzessin von Bayern, the daughter of Franz Prinz von Bayern and Isabella Prinzessin von Croÿ, born in 1920, and married to Archduke Gottfried of Habsburg-Tuscany.
does anyone have more pics of hers? thanks.:rolleyes:
here you go

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/daan73/Dorothea2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/daan73/Dorothea3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/daan73/scan0034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/daan73/Dorothea1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, GlitteringTiaras, nice pics! All the babies of Marie-Gabriele were so beautiful and adorable. Pity that most of them died so young.... :ermm:

Has Ottora still been christened?

I think when the christening has taken place tehre will be 1 or 2 pictures in Bunte like it has happened with her brother. In his case the christening was rather late when he was already about 10 months old.

HRH Prince Wolfgang of Bavaria took part in the so called "Museumsfrühling" in the museum of military history in Stammheim/Franconia.

Museumsfrühling 2008

Duke Albrecht of Bavaria (1905-1996) and Wives (Maria and Marie-Jenke)

Albrecht Luitpold Ferdinand Michael, Duke of Bavaria (Munich, 3 May 1905 - Schloß Berg, 8 July 1996); married 1stly in Berchtesgaden on 3 September 1930 Countess Maria Franziska Juliana Johanna(Marita) Draskovich von Trakostjan (Vienna, 8 March 1904 - Wildbad Kreuth, 10 June 1969); married 2ndly in Munich (civil) 21 April 1971 and in Munich (religious) on 22 April 1971 Countess Marie-Jenke Clara Clementine Antonia Stephanie Walburga Paula(Eugenie)Keglevich von Buzin (Budapest, 23 April 1921 - Weichselboden near Mariazell, Austria, 5 October 1983)

Dynasty: Wittelsbach

Head of the family: 1955 - 1996

Predecessor: Crown Prince Ruprecht of Bavaria

Successor: Duke Franz of Bavaria

Children Albrecht & Maria: Fürstin Marie Gabriëlle von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg; Fürstin Marie Charlotte von Quadt zu Wykradt und Isny; Duke Franz of Bavaria and Prince Max-Emanuel of Bavaria, Duke in Bavaria

Parents Albrecht: Crown Prince Ruprecht of Bavaria and Duchess Marie Gabriële in Bavaria

Parents Maria: Count Dionys Draskovich von Trakostjan and Princess Julia of Montenuovo

Parents Marie-Jenke: Count Stephan Keglevich von Buzin and Countess Clara Zichy de Zich et Vásonykeö

Siblings Albrecht: Prince Luitpold of Bavaria, Princess Irmingard of Bavaria and Prince Rudolf of Bavaria

Half Siblings Albrecht: Prince Heinrich of Bavaria, Princess Irmingard of Bavaria; Princess Editha of Bavaria, Mrs. Brunetti; Princess Hilda of Bavaria, Mrs. Lockett de Loayza; Duchess Gabriele of Croÿ and Princess & Duchess Sophie of Arenberg

Siblings Maria: None

Siblings Marie-Jenke: Count Peter Paul Keglevich, Count Gabriel Keglevich and Count Joseph-Stephan Keglevich

coabavaria.jpg

Last edited:
Albrecht Luitpold Ferdinand Michael, Duke of Bavaria, of Franconia and in Swabia, Count Palatine of the Rhine (May 3, 1905July 8, 1996), was the son of Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria and his first wife, Duchess Marie Gabriele in Bavaria. He was the one surviving child from that marriage. His paternal grandfather was Ludwig III of Bavaria, the last King of Bavaria who was deposed in 1918.
His family, the House of Wittelsbach, were opposed to the regime of Nazi Germany and in 1940 Albrecht took his family to his estate at Sárvár, Vas, Hungary. In October 1944, when Germany occupied Hungary, the Wittelsbachs were arrested and imprisoned in the Sachsenhausenconcentration camp at Oranienburg, Brandenburg. In April 1945 they were moved to the Dachau concentration camp, where they were liberated by the United States Army.
Albrecht became Head of the Royal Family of Bavaria with the death of his father on August 2, 1955. From that date he was regarded by Jacobites as the rightful King of England, Scotland and Ireland.

From this wikipedia article, free of copyrights.

--
Picture free of copyrights, from the wikipedia website:

200px-AlbrechtDukeBavaria.jpg

Last edited:
From the archives of the NY Times, an article on the death of Duke Albrecht:

Duke Albrecht Is Dead at 91; Pretender to Bavarian Throne
By ALAN COWELL
Published: July 11, 1996
Duke Albrecht of Bavaria, head of a dynasty more than 800 years old and pretender to the Bavarian throne, died on Monday at an ancestral home, Castle Berg, near Munich, his family said. He was 91 years old.
Castle Berg is on Lake Starnberg, 12 miles southwest of Munich, the same place that witnessed the drowning of his most famous forebear, King Ludwig II, builder of the fabled castle at Neuschwannstein, who was known as Mad King Ludwig.
Duke Albrecht lived though the revolution in 1918 that deposed the Bavarian monarchy and the Nazi Government that imprisoned him and other members of his family in concentration camps.

Read the entire article here.

On the occasion of the 75. birthday of Duke Franz of Bavaria bayern alpha broadcasted lat Moday an interview with the Duke which was recorded in 2001.
Here you can read it as PDF. Unfortunately only in german.

Gräfin Marie Bernadette Edina Marta Kornis de Göncz-Ruszka, daughter of Princess Maria Theresia Anna Walburga Irmingard of Bavaria, had her third child Cornelius sometime in 2008.

Here are some Wittelsbach related videos I added to youtube....

* Coronation scene from the beginning of the movie "Ludwig II" (1972):-

YouTube - King Ludwig II of Bavaria coronation (movie excerpt)

* Schloss Augustusburg near Cologne (favourite palace of Prince-Bishop of Cologne, Clemens August von Wittelsbach)

YouTube - Augustusburg Castle - fairytale baroque palace near Bonn (Schloss)

Check out the incredible baroque staircase!

And here are a couple of photos of the exterior of the palace taken by me in 1998:-

augustusburg-small.jpg

Thank you for sharing your pictures cvxmelody. I visit Cologne quite frequently but I have never seen the palace actually, but this shows that next time I must!

* Schloss Augustusburg near Cologne (favourite palace of Prince-Bishop of Cologne, Clemens August von Wittelsbach)

YouTube - Augustusburg Castle - fairytale baroque palace near Bonn (Schloss)

Check out the incredible baroque staircase!

And here are a couple of photos of the exterior of the palace taken by me in 1998:-

Unitl around 10 years ago Augustusburg Castle was used by the german Goverment for the State-Banquets during State-Visits. The Defilee was always held on the barowque stairs. There the presidental Couple and the visiting Couple took their place on the half of the stairs and then all the Guests walked th stairs up. No since the Bundespräsident has it's residence in Berlin the State Banquets take place at Bellevue Castle.

Princess Beatrice of Bavaria has been interviewed by the newspaper 'Augsburger Algemeine''. In the interview the princess tells about her experiences in a hospice (a place where people who are dying can stay if there is nobody who can take care of them). The article has the title 'I have learnt so much from people who are dying'.

Article in German here.

Courtesy: monarchen at ATR

The dogs of the Wittelsbach-Family - an interview with Helena of Bavaria:

Interview mit Helena Herzogin in Bayern | HalloHund | Deutschlands große Hunde-Community

(unfortunatly in German but since a own a dachshund, too, I simply had to post it)

BTW Helena does not believe that a bed is meant for dogs, too. Only in rare cases, which should be limited. Other than this she talks about hunting, the hunting education of dogs and other family dog-members.

Prince Poldi of Bavaria went to the Oktober Fest in Munich in good company:

Raising a beer stein containing a draught of one of the festival's famed lagers was Albert of Monaco. The prince caught up with Bavarian royal and former champion race driver Prince Leopold on the second day of the 16-day event.

From Hello magazine, look here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom