Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday it was announced that Duke Franz has lymphatic cancer. He will undergo chemotherapie fior he next months
Sorge um Herzog Franz von Bayern :: Homepage - Nachrichten - Oberpfalz & Bayern :: Mittelbayerische Zeitung :: www.mittelbayerische.de

unedited Google translation

The head of the former ruling family of Bavaria (the Wittelsbach dynasty) has cancer.
The 79-year-old has canceled all public appointments.

The head of the House of Wittelsbach, Duke Franz of Bavaria, is diagnosed with cancer. In the 79-year-old was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer, such as the management of the former Bavarian ruling family reported on Saturday in Munich. He will undergo several months of chemo therapy, the prognosis stood well. The childless bachelor, lives retired in Munich in a wing of Nymphenburg Palace, in which he is born. He is considered the patron of the arts and is patron of several museums in the Bavarian capital. Even last week, had the 79-year-old public appointments can cancel - he was sick, it was there without giving details.

Last edited by a moderator:
When he passes on, I guess that means that Duke Max will inherit the title. Duke Max is married to Elizabeth Douglass of Sweden. The Douglass family from Scotland maintained a presence, and court employment, in Sweden for some generations. Duke Max's daughter is Sophie of Leichtenstein, and her son Joseph is thought to be a pretender to the Jacobite throne of England, although Sophie and family do not claim that or pretend to that. The Douglass marriage enforces the Scots and Jacobite heritage, to the best of my knowledge. Princess Alice of Gloucester also had the Douglass heritage.

What sad news! I hope that the duke will recover from this!

:previous:

I wish him recovery but considering the Duke's age, the seriousness of lymphatic cancer and the stress that can be induced by chemotherapy, the cancer will most probably have lasting and unfortunate consequences for his health even if chemotherapy is successful against it.

Hopefully his partner will be with him while he under goes treatment.

Leopold, Prince von Bayern, Ursula, Princess von Bayern and Filipa, Princess von Bayern attended "Ludwig II" - the Germany premiere at the Mathaeser Filmpalast in Munich, Germany, on December 13, 2012.

** Pic **

Felipa's belly is already visible!

Who is the man portrayed with them in the picture?

Thank you Stefan. I didn't recognize the Prince without eyeglasses and beard.

I note that throughout the article and interview Prince Ludwig is referred to as 'Prinz Ludwig von Bayern' (which is supposedly "illegal") as opposed to 'Ludwig Prinz von Bayern'.

I note that throughout the article and interview Prince Ludwig is referred to as 'Prinz Ludwig von Bayern' (which is supposedly "illegal") as opposed to 'Ludwig Prinz von Bayern'.

It is quiet normal to referr to german nobles like this. These is often done also with "Herzog Carl von Württemberg" instead of Carl Herzog von Württemberg. This is only one example.

Leopold, Prince von Bayern attended the Bavarian Movie Awards 2013 and held the laudatory speech for winner Sabin Tambrea (in the middle of the picture) who was awarded as best supporting actor for his role as the young Bavarian King Ludwig II in Munich, Germany on Januray 18, 2013.

** Pic **

Elisabeth in Bayern and her husband attended the Best Brands 2013 Gala at Bayerischer Hof in Munich, Germany on February 6, 2013.

** Pic **

It is okay in interviews as the "Prinz" replaces the "Herr" when a person is being talked to. So instead of "Herr Maier" or "Herr Schmidt" a prince is called "Prinz". You could call him "Prinz von Bayern" as some do, but more common is former title & christian name, thus "Prinz Ludwig" on speaking and later on printing the article it's "Prinz Ludwig von Bayern" answered the questions...

And no, it's not illegal but it's not the way the name is used in official documents - but then you wouldn't say "Herr Maier" then, too, but of course christian name & surname, eg. Christian (Herr) Maier, the "Herr" of course omitted because anybody is "Herr", except those whose family formerly were titled and decided to use that title as part of the family name. In the same way then it's christian name & former title & family name/territorial name.

Uh, thanks Alberto! I always get excited about new Wittelsbach books and Schlim is a fav author.

I wonder, has the mental instability that was so well known in the family in the 19th and early 20th centuries, shown itself in more recent generations?

I wonder, has the mental instability that was so well known in the family in the 19th and early 20th centuries, shown itself in more recent generations?

That was King Ludwig II. and King Otto and it's thought that it came from their mother's Family. So as both had no descendants and also no further siblings other Family lines where not affected.

It seems that princess Ursula is selling her tiara and amethyst necklace at the Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels sale in Geneva on May 14th.

Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels - Sotheby's

Amethyst and diamond demi-parure, mid-19th century - Sotheby's
I'm devastated :ohmy:! Such a beautiful necklace! Their only tiara! And both with such important historical provenance, descended through generations! The most frequently seen Bavarian tiara will be gone for good.
It really spoils my day.

Has her daughter already given birth?

HRH Princess Editha of Bavaria, Mrs. Gustav Schimert, passed away on 4 May 2013, aged 88.

She was born at Hohenburg on 16 September 1924, as the second daughter and third child of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria and his second wife, née Princess Antonia of Luxembourg and Nassau.
She married twice: firstly in 1946 to Tito Brunetti, by whom she had three daughters (Serena, Carlotta and Antonia, who has been married to her second cousin Count Erich von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg) and who predeceased her in 1954. She married secondly to Prof. Gustav Schimert, from 1959 until his death in 1990; they became parents of three sons, Andreas, Christian and Constantin.

Royal Musings: Princess Editha of Bavaria (1924-2013)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom