Duke Franz and the Royal House of Bavaria 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The posts about the wedding of princess Auguste and prince Ferdinand of Lippe-Weissenfeld have been moved to the wedding forum. Click here.

I just saw Prince Manuel and Princess Anna von Bayern at the wedding of CP Victoria...does anyone have their picture entering the church?She was wearing a tiara...

Are there any photos of them from CP Victoria's wedding?Anna was wearing a tiara...

:previous:
Another photo from Crown Princess Victoria's wedding...

-> Prince Manuel and Princess Anna

Princess Anna is wearing a tiara belonging to Princess Ursula (the mother of Prince Manuel).

courtesy of Tamara from RJOTWMB

Last edited:
A question about Spanish Infanta Maria de la Paz, Princess Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavari

I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this post, if not, perhaps the moderator can move it...

I recently finished reading 'Through Four Revolutions', published in 1932, a biography of the Spanish Infanta Maria de la Paz, who became the Bavarian Princess Ludwig Ferdinand upon marriage. I really enjoyed this book. As an American, it was especially interesting to read accounts of the Spanish-American War and World War I from the point of view of "the other side". I also feel like I got a really good sense of who the princess really was, since so much of the book was made up of her letters and diary entries.
The princess lived rather simply and spent her life promoting peace among the European nations.

I am wondering if anyone knows if Princess Ludwig Ferdinand's diaries and/or letters are available anywhere (a library?) for public review? Because of her positions as a patriotic German, and also as an active promoter of peace, I would really like to know her thoughts and feelings about World War II (She died after the war). Does anyone have any information, or even ideas about where I could look for this?
Thanks!

Elisabeth in Bayern at a reception for the Russian National Day at the
Russian Embassy in Berlin, Germany, June 11, 2010. Next to her is
Celia von Bismarck.

** Pic **

Elisabeth in Bayern with her father Prince Max Emanuel von Bayern and her
husband Daniel Terberger attended the opening performance of 'Lohengrin'
at the Richard Wagner opera festival on July 25, 2010 in Bayreuth, Germany.
On pic 2 she's pictured with Princess Nadja zu Schaumburg-Lippe.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Elisabeth in Bayern with her father Prince Max Emanuel von Bayern and her
husband Daniel Terberger
The Prince is not her father Max Emanuel, but her uncle Franz, Duke of Bavaria.

Has anyone (perhaps Beatitudo) definitive news about the divorce of Prince Wolfgang von Bayern?

The 'Hofbraeu-Wiesnjug 2010' is presented by its designer Leopold Prince of
Bavaria in Munich, Germany, 10 September 2010. The beer mug (not sure
if that's the right word for it) is made for the traditional "Oktoberfest" that
will take place from September 18 till October 4 this year.

** Pic **

Prince Manuel von Bayern and Princess Anna von Bayern attended the
Dreamball 2010 charity gala at the Grand Hyatt hotel on September 23,
2010 in Berlin, Germany.
The charity supports women suffering from cancer.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Today, Duke Max in Bavaria was interviewed by the programme 'Hallo Deutschland' on ZDF, about the Oktoberfest in munich. I can't find it online though.

I know that Duke Franz is not married, but has he had any long-term relationships?

Is Sophie of Liechtenstein, neé Bavaria, the heir of the title of Duchesse in Bavaria or is this someone else?

I think that at Duke Max's death the title will become extinct, unless he adopted a younger member of the Royal Family (i.e. one of Prince Luitpold's younger sons) in order to perpetuate the title (as Duke Ludwig Wilhelm did with Max).

Is Sophie of Liechtenstein, neé Bavaria, the heir of the title of Duchesse in Bavaria or is this someone else?

There is no heir as Duke Max and duchess Elizabeth have only daughters. And actually it's not a title it's their surname. It could be that Duke Max adoptes one of the other Princes to continue the name.

Thanks Ma and Stefan!

Is this the house rule or could Duke Max change it?

What´s with Prince Georg, Sofias second son? Couldn´t he be the next Duke?

I know, I ask so many questions, but it´s so interesting. ;)

One of the rules of German royalty and aristocracy (but not only german) is that women can't inherit and transmit titles to their issues - with due exceptions.
Bavarian royal titles follow this rule, and thus also the Duke in Bavaria title.
As far as I know, there's no way for Sophie to succeed to her father in the Ducal title and to transmit this title to her children.

One of the rules of German royalty and aristocracy (but not only german) is that women can't inherit and transmit titles to their issues - with due exceptions.
Bavarian royal titles follow this rule, and thus also the Duke in Bavaria title.
As far as I know, there's no way for Sophie to succeed to her father in the Ducal title and to transmit this title to her children.

The only way would be if Duke Max adopted Georg to continue the name. Actually the same was done with Duke Max. The last male member of the ducal line Duke Ludwig Wilhelm adopted him to continue the name. But he was choosen because he was also descending from the ducal line though his grandmother Marie Gabrielle.

Last edited:
If Max adopted Georg, it would be a rather odd situation, as Prince Georg von und zu Liechtenstein, whose surname is also his official title, should replace his surname (and title) in order to assume the surname "Herzog in Bayern" by virtue of the adoption.
I think the existance of the Duke in Bavaria title may have a meaning if bore by a Bavarian Prince, otherwise imho it would be quite a nonsense.

It´s unfair towards woman, because Sofias father is not in Wilhelm in Bavarias direct blood-line, still he is the Duke. :ermm:

Actually for me it ends with Ludwig Wilhelm.

I forgot that Albrechts son is the Duke, and Albrecht is Marie Gabrielles son, so theoretical MG made the new line.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean prince Georg of Liechtenstein? In that case it is not likely. I suppose he could be adopted and inherit the last name, but it would be rather odd considering the succession rules of the house of Bavaria. It is more likely that IF Duke Max will adopt it will be a Bavarian prince. Maybe a younger son of prince Luitpold, prince Wolfgang or the son of prince Manuel.

death of Princess Irmingard

Princess Irmingard passed away on Saturday 23.10.2010 at the age of 87.
She was the eldest daughter and second child of Crown Prince Rupprecht and his second wife Antonia, née Princess of Luxemburg. In 1950 she married her first cousin Prince Ludwig of Bavaria with whom she had one son Prince Luitpold.
Décès de la princesse Irmingard de Bavière | Noblesse & Royautés

Last edited:

Prince Leopold von Bayern and race car driver Isolde Holderied attended
the 2010 Das Goldene Lenkrad (the golden steering wheel) awards at the
Axel Springer Haus on November 3, 2010 in Berlin, Germany.

** Pic **

Thanks Stefan, the Duchess looks very pleased. Wonderful way to celebrate a birthday and the end of the year.:flowers:

Ritter Von Kahr on Facebook

Someone has posted a Community Page for Gustav Ritter Von Kahr on Facebook. Ritter Von Kahr was a loyal servant of both King Ludwig III as well as Prince Rupprecht and when Von Kahr was Prime Minister led Bavaria in turbulent times. Perhap a fresh interest in Ritter Von Kahr will result in a renewed awareness in the Bavarian Monarchy.
Gustav von Kahr | Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom