Royal Families of Germany: News & Photos 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Sean.~+Oct 22nd, 2003 - 9:42 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Oct 22nd, 2003 - 9:42 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid@Oct 22nd, 2003 - 8:41 am
Mariae Gloria, Princess Thurn und Taxis."  Mariea Gloria has been in debt since her husbund died in 1990.

Alexander,

I hate to contradict you, but having followed the family for years, I can tell you that Maria Gloria is not in debt since the death of her husband. There were death duties after her husband died, but those where taken care by the selling off of assets. The family is still_ very_ wealthy. [/b][/quote]
Alexander,

Here is a recent in depth article on the Frustin von Thurn und Taxis. I thought it might be of interest to you (and it's in German too).

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/26/0,1872,2067002,00.html

Countess Mariae Gloria von Schoenburg-Glauchau is also known as "Mariae Gloria, Princess Thurn und Taxis." Mariea Gloria has been in debt since her husbund died in 1990.

Herr Graf, in a way I have to agree with Sean.~ about her indebtness. I know that upon the death of her husband the German state required a lot of succession taxes to be paid. As I understand it, a lot of things were sold, including some big woodlots and choice seafront properties near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.

I have not looked over the "zdf" link yet ... but it occurs to me that she might have - like a lot of other people - lost money on the stock market. And if she used those stocks as a guarantee on other investments, then you might be right that is an amount that she is in the 'red'. But Herr Graf, just know that where money and accounting are concerned, there a lot of ways of fiddling the numbers to ones advantage (or disadvantage?). Perhaps she wants to show a loss, so that its easier for her to get some relief (ie: a grant or subsidy) from the government to keep her big schloss in Regensburg in showable order ??

... von Schönborn-Wiesentheid .... the Royal Houses of Germany, there are others however. The others are the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Royal Family and the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Royal Family.

All these Royal Houses fascinate me, Herr Graf.
Tell me, anyone whose name begins with "von", are they "adelig" ?
Like, if your last name was "von Hahn" or "von Quillfeldt", how do they rank in the pecking order ?

And what does 'mediatized?" mean ....

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 22nd, 2003 - 2:35 pm
Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid 
Herr Graf, in a way I have to agree with Sean.~ about her indebtness. I know that upon the death of her husband the German state required a lot of succession taxes to be paid. As I understand it, a lot of things were sold, including some big woodlots and choice seafront properties near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.

I have not looked over the "zdf" link yet ... but it occurs to me that she might have - like a lot of other people - lost money on the stock market. And if she used those stocks as a guarantee on other investments, then you might be right that is an amount that she is in the 'red'. But Herr Graf, just know that where money and accounting are concerned, there a lot of ways of fiddling the numbers to ones advantage (or disadvantage?). Perhaps she wants to show a loss, so that its easier for her to get some relief (ie: a grant or subsidy) from the government to keep her big schloss in Regensburg in showable order ??

... von Schönborn-Wiesentheid .... the Royal Houses of Germany, there are others however. The others are the Mecklenburg-Strelitz Royal Family and the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Royal Family.

All these Royal Houses fascinate me, Herr Graf.
Tell me, anyone whose name begins with "von", are they "adelig" ?
Like, if your last name was "von Hahn" or "von Quillfeldt", how do they rank in the pecking order ?

And what does 'mediatized?" mean ....
1). Believe me, the family is loaded (as a fellow British Colubmian, you may know that the family used to own all or most of Texeda Island). And yes, they did lose money in investments. Still, the family is very, very, well off.

2). They are not royal houses per. For the most part, they are Ducal, Princely, and Countly houses of the Empire. Although they had they all had the right of equality, meaning marriages among them were considered equal.

3). Von is a sign of nobility (van is Dutch), but there are so many 'adoptions' (adults being adopted by titled adults. e.g. Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband) and name changes these days that one has to be careful.

4) Mediatized is derived form the latin word "media" which means between. For a good article on what mediatized means see " it comes from the number of layers of allegience between a nobelmen and his suzerin (the HRE). If a nobelmen's territory was put under the allegience of another, more senior nobelmen, then he was no longer "immediate" & to the Emperor. Rather, he was 'mediatized'. I'm not sure if I'm being clear. Many former fiefdoms were mediatized after the Napoleonic wars. For a good article see: http://members.aol.com/eurostamm/mediatize.html

Sean.~  Posted: Oct 22nd, 2003 - 4:02 pm

....  the family used to own all or most of Texada Island

I didn't know that. Mine and all ?

But then, if they had the concession to deliver mail in Europe for over 300 years, they must have learned a few secrets (and on their behalf, that they are still capitalizing on) ?

My bad. For some reason I had it in my head that she owned a large (if not all of Texada island). However, it was a large piece of land on Salt Spring Island and she sold it to Texada Industries. Duh.

sophiebayern2.jpg

Wedding couple Duchess Sophie von Bavaria and Prince Alois von und zu Liechtenstein in 1993

hannover4.jpg

Wedding of Oscar (Nick) von Hanover

source - worldroots

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid@Oct 23rd, 2003 - 5:12 am
Wedding of Oscar (Nick) von Hanover
The second picture is actually of Prince Heinrich Julius of Hanover to Thyra von Westernhagen in 1999 (the wedding took place on the same day that Prince Edward of GB married Sophie Rhyes-Jones).

Oscar (b. 1996) is the name of Prince Heinrich's son via a relationship with Desiree Saska Nick

What can anybody tell me about the "Wittelsbach's" ?

I lived in a part of Bavaria, where every village had a Wittelsbacherstrasse, and I remember coming past a crypt once.

Are there any descendants still living ?
Where do they live ?

There are many descendants. Most live in Germany, and the Head of the house, Duke Franz, lives in Schloss Nymphenburg in Munich. The family is extremely prominent within Bavaria and the Duke recently celebrated his 70th birthday with great pomp and cereomony. Indeed, he appeared on the balcony wiht the Bavarian Premier, Stoiber. See: http://www.br-online.de/land-und-leute/art...franz/index.xml

The Duke is also the Stuart heir. See http://members.rogers.com/jacobites/

His cousin, Prince Leopold (pictured up thread) recently celebrated his 60th birthday with great pomp too (some of the pictures posted by Alexander are from that event). His party was attended by the King & Queen of Sweden and their children (the two families are close). Duke Franz's brother, Duke Max in Bavaria (he was adopted by the junior line), is the father-in-law of the Crown Prince of Lichtenstien (you can see the picture of the wedding ball up thread). Another daughter is married to Duke Phillipe of Wurtemburg), while wife's sister is married to the Duke of Marlborough. There are numerous other cadet members of the family.

To learn more about the properties of the Duke of Bavaria see the Haus Bayern sight at: http://www.haus-bayern.com/

For geeology see: http://www.gen.heinz-wember.de/wittelsbacher/index.html

Could you, please, post more pix of your beautiful cousin, Filippa? What a horrible death.

Originally posted by Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid, edited by Alexandria for size.

Princess Cynthia zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich

Attachments

• cynthia_lich.jpg
    cynthia_lich.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,869
Originally posted by Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid, edited by Alexandria for size.

Altgraefin Irene von Starhemberg

Attachments

• irene.jpg
    irene.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 725
Originally posted by Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid, re-posted by Alexandria.

Christiane zu Salm-Salm

Attachments

• christiane_zu_salm_salm.jpg
    christiane_zu_salm_salm.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,681

Princess Marie Louise *Lilly* zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Attachments

• lilly_5.jpg
    lilly_5.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 339

Attachments

• lilly_8.jpg
    lilly_8.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 350
Originally posted by Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid, re-posted by Alexandria.

Attachments

• princesslilly6.jpg
    princesslilly6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 378

Attachments

• lilly_9.jpg
    lilly_9.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 276

Attachments

• lilly_13.jpg
    lilly_13.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 525

Princess Alexandra zu Fuerstenberg

Attachments

• miller_wedding.jpg
    miller_wedding.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 905

Princess Alexandra zu Fuerstenberg with daughter Talita Natasha

Attachments

• talia.jpg
    talia.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 287

Princess Alexandra zu Fuerstenberg wither her husbund Prince Alexander zu Fuerstenberg and daughter Talita Natasha

Attachments

• furstenbetg.jpg
    furstenbetg.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 440

Countess Diana Bernadotte, Civil Wedding on September 28, 2003

Attachments

• wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 550
Count Von Schonborn_Wiesentheid 
Posted: Oct 26th, 2003 - 6:03 pm

Why do I see the pictures that I posted with that text above it saying it is edited?

Because Herr Count (is that Graf in German?), the pictures were huge. I don't know how you managed to sneak them on. Theye were so huge , I got no real idea of what the picture was about.

And because I did my bit in adding a lot of pictures, the administrators reduced the picture size from 64 kB to a measly 32 kB.

Wire koennen auch Deutsch sprechen.
:) .. or rather on Personal Messenger. I was informed that all the Swedes here converse in English because that is the language of this MB. :innocent:

Christian

ich wissen. "Graf" means "Count" in German and it is abbreviated as "Gf" Oh, thank you for telling me about the pictures, I do not know why they were so large when I posted them because they were not like that when I saved them a while ago.

or rather on Personal Messenger. I was informed that all the Swedes here converse in English because that is the language of this MB.

what do you mean?

I believe what King Christian means is that at LTR to make it accessible to the most amount of people, we ask that you post in English, or do a translation of what you post in other languages as often as possible.
In PMs, you may converse in whatever language you feel most comfortable in of course. :)

Seeing I am of German heritage, you don't mind if I address you as "Herr Graf" ?

PM = means Personal Messenger. You've used that before on this webpage , haven't you ?

Hi I do hope you will continue posting pictures of the current german royals this is my favorite thread, long may it continue. many thanks for the class pics. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom