Princess Nathalie of Berleburg and Family, Current Events Part 1: January 2006 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another boy in the DRF how wonderful, will they stick by the no name release before the christening?

Could Queen Margrethe give a title to the baby ??

Princess Nathalie competed at her first Horse Competition after the birth
of her baby boy 4 weeks ago and she won the dressage competition in
Bernstoffparken, yesterday, August 21, 2010. Her parents were present
as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

Congratulations to her for winning, good to see she's back on the horse so soon.

I still say it's beyond impressive she's competiting this soon after having her son. It's really not *that* long since the lil guy was born and as someone who follows Amateur/Olympic Sport...I'm really impressed.

For those of us in Canada, CBC's Bold channel will be showing tomorrow's Dressage Freestyle Finals from the World Equestrian Games starting at 7pm EST. Channel 512 for those who are also on Shaw Direct's Satellite Service. We'll have company here for the weekend, so I hope I get a chance to see her compete. Especially as I love Dressage and only get to see it once in a blue moon.

Wonder whether she´ll still have a church wedding. No announcement so far. And in case she´ll have a second child soon I believe there will be none.

Wonder whether she´ll still have a church wedding. No announcement so far. And in case she´ll have a second child soon I believe there will be none.

Their church wedding is scheduled for spring 2011, probably May, AFAIK.

According to this blog, the little Prince has been christened in Germany.

GodParents

Crown Princess Mary
Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Ann-Kathrin Johannsmann

Here's a German article about it that says that the court chamber of
Wittgenstein-Berleburg has released the news item with the details,
the blog entry has quoted it. Unfortunately no press was present ;)

** Kronprinzessin Mary ist Patin in Bad Berleburg ** translation **

The translation isn't very clear when it came to stating if Mary was in attendance or not. When did this take place? I hope we do get details of other family members attending.

It says that Crown Princess Mary was present and that it has taken
place on the second Christmas Day, Sunday, December 26! :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2011.
Nathalies lille Konstantin - Nathalie's little Konstantin.
Written by Annelise Weimann.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/1/Lille%20Konstantin%20blev%20dobt%20i%20Berleburg.aspx

The christening of Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard Johannsmann took place in the chapel of Schloss Berleburg on the 26th December. He was then five months and two days old. He wore the same christening gown Nathalie herself wore and little Konstantin will not get a title. That's because his father Alexander Johannsmann hasn't got a title.

The wee Konstantin did not cry but contended himself with looking inquisitive the guets present. And they were few and consisted of the closest relatives.
Nathalie's older sister and her husband could not attend.
After the christening there was a dinner.

There is no mentioning whatsoever of the presence of Mary or other members of the DRF, nor any hint that they were supposed to be present.

Last edited:
Dunno.

No mentioning of Mary at all in the article.

But it was said in the Press release from the Berleburg Family after the christening. So little Konstantin's name is Johannsmann not zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg-Johannsmann which was saif after the birth?.

But it was said in the Press release from the Berleburg Family after the christening. So little Konstantin's name is Johannsmann not zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg-Johannsmann which was saif after the birth?.

No, according to the article, the boy will not have a title. And his surname is Johannsmann.

No, according to the article, the boy will not have a title. And his surname is Johannsmann.

Thanks. Yes it was said after his birth that the zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg-Johannsmann would be the surname. He can get no title as we don't have titles anymore but it's possible to combine the name of both parents for the child which this would have been. Bu it's much too long.

Perhaps someone stood in for CP Mary as proxy for the baptism, especially since she probably had some travel restrictions.

That is one cute baby! Mom seems happy as a clam in those pictures.

Thanks. Yes it was said after his birth that the zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg-Johannsmann would be the surname. He can get no title as we don't have titles anymore but it's possible to combine the name of both parents for the child which this would have been. Bu it's much too long.

Isn't there also a restricition on how long a surname can be?

I couldn't find the law itself, but this is a forum for English-speaking expats living in Germany, and there seems to be a limit on hyphenation of last names.

Giving your children two surnames - Germany

Quoting from within that thread:

:::
Anyway, here is the German law:

:::

1. Wenn beide Elternteile zum Zeitpunkt der Geburt des Kindes einen gemeinsamen Ehenamen führen, erhält ihr gemeinsames Kind diesen als Nachnamen.

1. You are married and share a common married last name, kid gets this last name.

2. Wenn die Eltern zum Zeitpunkt der Geburt keinen gemeinsamen Ehenamen führen, ihnen aber die elterliche Sorge gemeinsam zusteht, müssen sie gemeinschaftlich entscheiden, ob das Kind den Familiennamen der Mutter oder den des Vaters erhalten soll.
Können sich die Eltern nicht einigen, überträgt das Familiengericht die Entscheidung einem der beiden Elternteile. Die Bildung eines Doppelnamens als Kombination der Familiennamen beider Elternteile ist nicht zulässig.

2. No common married last name but both in custody of the child -> you have to decide which last name the kid gets. If you can't decide the court decides which parent gets to choose the name. You may not create a double name!

3. Etwas anderes gilt, wenn ein Elternteil das alleinige elterliche Sorgerecht innehat. Dann erhält das Kind den Familiennamen des sorgeberechtigten Elternteils. Die Eltern können sich aber auch auf den Familiennamen des nicht sorgeberechtigten Elternteils verständigen.

3. Not married, sole custody -> parent in custody chooses the name, and it may be the non-custody parent's name!

4. Kommt es später zur Begründung des gemeinsamen Sorgerechts für das Kind, so können die Eltern den Familiennamen des Kindes neu bestimmen. In diesem Fall müssen die Eltern zwischen dem von der Mutter und dem vom Vater zu diesem Zeitpunkt geführten Namen wählen.

4. If common custody is later decided on the parents can choose a new name but have to decide if it should be the mother's or father's current (not former common married!) name.

So, the last name has to be one or the other. Yeah, choose a last name and give the kid the other as a middle name.

:::::

Looking further into that thread, it would appear that if Princess Nathalie could provide documentation that a long surname is accepted practice in Denmark (where she is a citizen,) then the longer surname will be allowable.

Last edited:

Don't know but look for example at Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger or some of the nobles who also have pretty long surnames like Prince zu Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst, von Ratibor und Corvey i believe not.

Stefan, I don't mean the number of letters, but the number of hyphens that are allowed :) IIRC Rebecca Simoneit-Barum wanted to add the name of her husband to her name, and that was not allowed to change her name to Siemoneit-Barum-Bauer :)

Stefan, I don't mean the number of letters, but the number of hyphens that are allowed :) IIRC Rebecca Simoneit-Barum wanted to add the name of her husband to her name, and that was not allowed to change her name to Siemoneit-Barum-Bauer :)

Yes, if you read the links provided in my prior post, you will see that it's the hyphen(s) that cause/s agita.

A note in Billed Bladet #02, 2011.

Informs us that Mary indeed was godmother to the little Konstantin, even though she wasn't physcially present.

I am desperate for the date of the religious wedding. I think last year it was said to be in spring, so shouldn't they soon announce the date?

I am desperate for the date of the religious wedding. I think last year it was said to be in spring, so shouldn't they soon announce the date?

Yes i also hope that i will soon be known. It was said in early Summer or Spring but in a warmer time of the year.

Yes i also hope that i will soon be known. It was said in early Summer or Spring but in a warmer time of the year.
I have to admit that I can hardly await to see the Khedive of Egypt tiara worn by a happy bride once again. It makes perfectly sense to wait for the warmer time of the year. But the longer they wait to announce the date, the more I fear that they are planning a small, down-to-earth, initmate, financial-crisis-aware, close-friends-and-family-only wedding. I would really like to see some grandeur at a German wedding once again. But this might not fit the tastes of bride and groom.

Back
Top Bottom