Princely Houses of Reuss

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who knew a member from ABBA was part of a royal house?

I've also read she was friends with Queen Silvia.

Anni-Frid Synni Lyngstad was the wife ofPrince Heinrich Ruzzo Reuss of Plauen (24 May 1950 – 29 October 1999)-the prince died of lymphoma. Through Lyngstad's marriage to Heinrich Ruzzo, who was a student at the same boarding school as the reigning King of Sweden, she became acquainted with the swedisch royal family and eventually became close friends with Sweden's Queen Silvia

House of Reuss

I am writing a book dealing with the battle of Kulm, August 29th-30th 1813.

There seems to be a lack of information concerning Henry LXI, Prince Reuss-Costritz. He was killed on 29th August 1813 while leading his French infantry brigade under general Vandamme.

Does anyone have any details concerning the Prince and his family?

Graham Morris

Prince Heirich X Reuss (b.28 July 1948) married civilly Lucina Wolffersdoff-Zajder on 3 December.

Source: Netty's Royalty Page Genealogical News 2011

She is his third wife; he was previously married to Baroness Elizabeth Akerhield af Margarethelund (b.1946) and Countess Antoinette von Arnim (b.1949); both these marriages ended in divorce.
By his first wife he has a daughter, Benigna (b.1980) and a son Heinrich XXIV (b.1984); in June he will become a grandfather.

Why doesn't the Reuß family use "von" or "zu" ?

I have noticed that the Reuß Princely Family doesn't use "von" or "zu" in their name. They were from a designated area called Reuß so why are they different ?

Anyone know why they do this ?

Heinrich IV Fürst Reuss died on 20 June.

[He was born at Ernstbrunn on 26 October 1919, son of Prince Heinrich XXXIX Reuss and of his wife, Antonia Gräfin zu Castell-Castell. Since 1954 he had been married to Princess Marie Luise zu Salm-Horstmar. He is survived by her and their four children and their families.]

Source: Paul Theroff Royal Genealogical Site: Royal News 2012 Section I

:previous:
He is succeeded by his son, Heinrich XIV Prince Reuss, Head of the Princely House of Reuss
born 1955, married 1995 Johanna (b 1971), daughter of Baron Raitz von Frentz by his wife Baroness Kunigunde von Hoenning O'Carroll; issue: [updated]
.......... - Heinrich XXIX, Hereditary Prince Reuss (b 1997)
.......... - Tatjana (b 2001)
.......... - Luise (b 20xx)
.......... - Heinrich V (b2010/11)

Last edited:
Reuss Princeling

Heinrich XIV, Prince Reuss, Head of the Princely House of Reuss (b.14 July 1955) [son of Heinrich IV, Prince Reuss who died in June aged 92 & his wife Marie-Luise, nee Princess of Salm-Horstmar (b.1918)] & his wife Johanna, nee Freiin Raitz von Frentz, who turned 41 yesterday, had their fourth child, Prince Heinrich V, this or previous year (current date unknown)

A brother for Heinrich XXIX (2-4-1997), Tatiana (b.2001) and Luise (DOB unknown)

Source: Reuss

Last edited by a moderator:
i was woundering if anyone could help me from what i know is this in the 12th century in bohemeha my family the russlers where given titles because of there influenchel states and the amount of wealth they had aquired during this time and they had marred into influanchel familys as well the prince of the regone hed then given them the rank and titles of duke and duchess i was just woundering if someone knew anything that could help please if anyone can and i also know my grandparents do not like to talk about this at all i geuss there up set still about the revalution thats what they tell me tho and they still have there titles just not there positions any more one time in conversation tho princess elizabeth of yugoslavia was menjtion as a distent relitive of ours on my grandpapas side on my grandmamas side she is from barvaria she was born a princess so please help

Unfortunately,there isn't any known connection between the Russler or Roessler German family from Bohemia with any noble titles or Reuss family...

Also,I know genealogy of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia and so far she doesn't have any Russler cousin in generations gone by which doesn't exclude the possibility of a family tie like the one that 30 % of people in UK can claim descent of King Edward III who lived in 14th century...

Last edited:
She just looks amazing and very vital for her age ;)

...the Reuß Princely Family doesn't use "von" or "zu" in their name...why are they different?
There is no area called Reuss. The family in its different lines reigned till 1918 in a part of Germany called the "Vogtland" - meaning the "land of the bailiffs" - the Reuss family held the land in the beginning for the emperor before it became their own independant country. It included parts of Thuringia, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia.

In the 1200s a bailiff from that family either lived for a longer time in Russia or married a lady of Russian descent (it's not really clear), so people named him Heinrich Ruthenus (the Russian) which in German dialect became "Reuss" (a Prussian is a Preuss, a Russian is a Reuss). From then on his branch of the family used "Reuss" as their family name and were created Counts and Princes Reuss in later centuries.

Prince Heinrich XXVI Reuss (b.30 November 1988) [son of Prince Heinrich IX Reuss (b.1947) & his wife Amelie, nee Freiin Besserer von Thalfingen (b.1959)] married Isabella Anna Frampton (b.1989) in Chichester, Great Britain, on 2 February.

Source: Reuss

Princess Pauline Reuss (b.2 June 1977) [daughter of late Prince Heinrich Ruzzo Reuss (1950-1999) & his first wife Mette Rinde (b.1948)] married Gustav Berg (b.1980) in October.

Her twin sister Henriette is married to Jan Herud.

Sources: Reuss
Netty's Royalty Page Genealogical News 2012.

The engagement was announced between Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss (b.23 May 1984),
son of Prince Heinrich X Reuss (b.1948) & his first wife, Baroness Elisabeth Akerhielm af Margarethelund (b.1946)
and Countess Dorothea Richiza of Castell-Castell (b.31 May 1985),
daughter of Count Alexander of Castell-Castell (b.1954) & his first wife, Marion Stepp (b.1957).

The wedding will be held on 21 September.

Source: Royal News of 2013, Section I

1929 Painting by Heinreich XXXIII surfaces

This may be of interest to the descendants of Heinreich XXXIII named in post #20.

I came across a painting for sale that is likely the work of Heinreich XXXIII. The subject is a dreamy NYC skyscraper canyon "Xmas 1929".

painting.png

signature.png

This work - watercolor and gouache on paper - is being offered for sale by Redondo Beach, California-based interior designer Anna Hackathorn here until September 1st.

I apologize if linking this is contrary to forum rules, but I assure you I have no financial interest whatsoever in this sale. (I would be happy to PM the info to any interested parties if the above commercial link is moderated.)

Cheers.

Reuss-Castell-Castell Wedding

Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss (b.23 May 1984) [son of Prince Heinrich X Reuss (b.1948) & his first wife, Baroness Elisabeth Akerhielm af Margarethelund (b.1946)] married Countess Dorothea Richiza of Castell-Castell (b.31 May 1985) [daughter of Count Alexander of Castell-Castell (b.1954) & his first wife, Marion Stepp (b.1957)] in a religious ceremony at St.VeitChurch, Iphofen, Bavaria (Germany) on 21 September.

Source: Royal News of 2013, Section I

Thanks for sharing those nice pics :flowers:! It’s amazing how many of the guests you’ve been able to identify.
I couldn’t identify the bridal tiara. It was not the one which the bride’s grandmother Princess Marie Louise wore at the wedding of Georg Friedrich and Sophie of Prussia. Nor was it the tiara which the groom’s sister Benigna wore at her wedding two years ago. It seems that the family has been able to hold on to an interesting collection of family jewels.

I couldn’t identify the bridal tiara. It was not the one which the bride’s grandmother Princess Marie Louise wore at the wedding of Georg Friedrich and Sophie of Prussia. Nor was it the tiara which the groom’s sister Benigna wore at her wedding two years ago. It seems that the family has been able to hold on to an interesting collection of family jewels.
On this photo the tiara can be seen best. https://picasaweb.google.com/Royalrravel/HeinrichXXIVAndDorotheaIphfoen21092013#5927282430538282786
I would say it is the same as worn by Fürstin Marie Louise 2 years ago only worn in a differetn angel and therefore not so much of the tiara is visible.

On this photo the tiara can be seen best. https://picasaweb.google.com/Royalrravel/HeinrichXXIVAndDorotheaIphfoen21092013#5927282430538282786
I would say it is the same as worn by Fürstin Marie Louise 2 years ago only worn in a differetn angel and therefore not so much of the tiara is visible.
I made this comparison of Princess Marie Luise with the floral tiara and Countess Dorothea. The first tiara looks like an asymmetrical floral wreath, while the second tiara looks more geometrical and symmetrical. But it is difficult to say. Maybe it is a smaller version without the large flowers on top.
View image: castell castell

Princess Benigna von Reuss give birth to 2nd son.

Princess Benigna Reuss (b.29 December 1980) [daughter of Prince Heinrich X Reuss (b.1948) & his first wife, Elisabeth Akerhielm af Margarethelund (b.1946)] & her husband, Oscar de Ascoz y Planes had their second son, Luis María del Pilar Antonio de Padua Vicente Ferrer Roque Pedro Félix Adolf Friedrich Franz Heinrich Carl Gustaf del Santísimo Sacramento y Todos los Santos, at Madrid on 26 December.
:)
A brother for Jaime (1-6-2012).

Originally posted by Biri on 12/27/2014 in Royal Birth Announcements 2014

Fürstin Marie Luise Reuß, née Princess zu Salm-Horstmar died on 12.03.2015 at Ernstb runn in Austria. She was buried on 22.03.2015 at the Family burial ground at Ernstbrunn. She was the widow of the late Fürst Heinrich IV. Reuß and mother of the present Head of the Princely House, Fürst Heinrich XIV.
Letzte Fürstin Reuß ist verstorben | OTZ

Coming Monday. December 17th, Woizlawa-Feodora Elise Marie Elisabeth Prinzessin Reuß née Herzogin zu Mecklenburg will reach her centenary, her 100th birthday.

Woizlawa-Feodora is the only daughter of Adolf Friedrich Albrecht Heinrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg and of Victoria Feodora Agnes Leopoldine Elisabeth Prinzessin Reuß. Her mother died the day after Woizlawa-Feodora's birth.

The birthday-girl is extremely well connected:

- she was a first cousin to Hare Majesteit Juliana Emma Louise Marie Wilhelmina, Koningin der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, hertogin van Mecklenburg (grandmother of King Willem-Alexander)

- she was a first cousin to Hendes Majestæt Alexandrine Auguste, Dronning af Denmark née hertuginde af Mecklenburg (grandmother of Queen Margrethe II)

- she was a first cousin to Ihre Kaiserliche und Königliche Hoheit Cecilie Auguste Kronprinzessin des Deutschen Reiches, Kronprinzessin von Preußen née Herzogin von Mecklenburg (great-grandmother of Prince Georg Friedrich von Preußen)

- she was a first cousin to His Imperial Highness Cyrill Vladimirovich Romanov, Grand-Prince of Russia (grandfather of Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia)

https://www.otz.de/web/zgt/suche/de...rrlich-bei-den-Grosseltern-in-Gera-1337628484

Woizlawa-Feodora is the only witness alive of the Royal Wedding of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and Prince Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld. She is number 20 on the picture:

https://www.adelinnederland.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Juliana-en-Bernhard-1937.jpg

Last edited:
List of her descendants:

1.5.2.4.1.Prince Heinrich I Reuss (1910-1982), m.1939 Duchess Woizlawa of Mecklenburg (*1918)
1.5.2.4.1.1.Princess Feodora Reuss (*1942) m.1967 (div 2013) Count Gisbert of Stolberg-Wernigerode (*1942)
1.5.2.4.1.1.1.Count Constantin of Stolberg-Wernigerode (*1969)
1.5.2.4.1.1.2.Count Friedrich of Stolberg-Wernigerode (*1972)
1.5.2.4.1.2.Prince Heinrich VIII Reuss (*1944), m.1973 Baroness Dorit von Ruffin (*1948)
1.5.2.4.1.2.1.Prince Heinrich XX Reuss (*1975), m.2017 Marie Steinhoff
1.5.2.4.1.2.2.Prince Heinrich XXIII Reuss (*1979)
1.5.2.4.1.3.Prince Heinrich IX Reuss (*1947), m.1984 Baroness Amélie Besserer von Thalfingen (*1959)
1.5.2.4.1.3.1.Princess Johanna Reuss (*1985)
1.5.2.4.1.3.2.Prince Heinrich XXVI Reuss (*1988), m.2013 Isabelle Anna Frampton (*1989)
1.5.2.4.1.4.Prince Heinrich X Reuss (*1948), m.1st 1976 (div 1990) Baroness Elisabeth Åkerhielm af Margrethelund (*1946), m.2nd 1991 Countess Antoinette von Arnim (*1949), m.3rd 2011/2012 Lucina Zajder (*1956)
1.5.2.4.1.4.1.Princess Benigna Reuss (*1980), m.2011 Óscar de Ascoz y Planes
1.5.2.4.1.4.1.1.Jaime María de Ascoz y Reuss (*2012)
1.5.2.4.1.4.1.2.Luis María de Ascoz y Reuss (*2014)
1.5.2.4.1.4.1.3.Iñigo María de Ascoz y Reuss (*2016)
1.5.2.4.1.4.2.Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss (*1984), m.2013 Countess Dorothea of Castell-Castell (*1985)
1.5.2.4.1.4.2.1.Princess Anastasia Reuss (*2017)
1.5.2.4.1.5.Prince Heinrich XIII Reuss (*1951), m.1989 (div 2005) Susan Doukht Jalali (*1956)
1.5.2.4.1.5.1.Princess Elena Reuss (*1989)
1.5.2.4.1.5.2.Prince Heinrich XXVII Reuss (*1991)
1.5.2.4.1.6.Prince Heinrich XV Reuss (*1956), m.1999 Anya Charlotte Nooth-Cooper (*1965)
1.5.2.4.1.6.1.Prince Heinrich XXX Reuss (*1999)

Source: Descendants of King Willem I of the Netherlands

A decade or so ago, Woizlawa-Feodora Prinzessin Reuß, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg and her son Heinrich XIII Prinz Reuß appeared in Dutch media because they complained that Queen Beatrix "ignored" them and they wanted the family relationships to be restored.

This happened after Queen Beatrix visited the Fürst and Fürstin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont at Schloss Arolsen. See picture: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D4FEG7/qu...c-cecilie-princess-of-goess-saurau-D4FEG7.jpg

After WWII Queen Wilhelmina rücksichtlos ended all contacts with German relatives which played prominent roles in the Nazi-era. This meant: no Mecklenburg, no Reuss, no Waldeck-Pyrmont etc.

The father of Princess Woizlawa-Feodora, Adolf-Friedrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg (a brother-in-law to Queen Wilhelmina) had personal contacts with Hermann Göring, dating back from WWI when the latter one was a meritorious pilot from the Luftwaffe. Later he regularly met Hermann Göring when he was Reichsforstmeister and Reichsjägermeister (Master of the forests and wildlife in the Reich).

Josias Erbprinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont (a full cousin of Queen Wilhelmina) was a true Nazi. He was no less than SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS und Polizei. He was elbow-deep in the Nazi-machine.

It did hurt Princess Woizlawa-Feodora and Prince Heinrich that their cousin still had not contacted them, but made a public visit with hundreds of onlookers and lots of media at Schloss Arolsen. Picture: https://www.wlz-online.de/bilder/20...aschungen-am-koeniginnentag_reference-5a7.jpg

I am afraid that this public frustration did not help Woizlawa-Feodora and Heinrich. Going to the media is a deadly sin in the eye of Beatrix.
:sad:

Last edited:
A decade or so ago, Woizlawa-Feodora Prinzessin Reuß, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg and her son Heinrich XIII Prinz Reuß appeared in Dutch media because they complained that Queen Beatrix "ignored" them and they wanted the family relationships to be restored.

This happened after Queen Beatrix visited the Fürst and Fürstin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont at Schloss Arolsen. See picture: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D4FEG7/qu...c-cecilie-princess-of-goess-saurau-D4FEG7.jpg

After WWII Queen Wilhelmina rücksichtlos ended all contacts with German relatives which played prominent roles in the Nazi-era. This meant: no Mecklenburg, no Reuss, no Waldeck-Pyrmont etc.

The father of Princess Woizlawa-Feodora, Adolf-Friedrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg (a brother-in-law to Queen Wilhelmina) had personal contacts with Hermann Göring, dating back from WWI when the latter one was a meritorious pilot from the Luftwaffe. Later he regularly met Hermann Göring when he was Reichsforstmeister and Reichsjägermeister (Master of the forests and wildlife in the Reich).

Josias Erbprinz zu Waldeck und Pyrmont (a full cousin of Queen Wilhelmina) was a true Nazi. He was no less than SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS und Polizei. He was elbow-deep in the Nazi-machine.

It did hurt Princess Woizlawa-Feodora and Prince Heinrich that their cousin still had not contacted them, but made a public visit with hundreds of onlookers and lots of media at Schloss Arolsen. Picture: https://www.wlz-online.de/bilder/20...aschungen-am-koeniginnentag_reference-5a7.jpg

I am afraid that this public frustration did not help Woizlawa-Feodora and Heinrich. Going to the media is a deadly sin in the eye of Beatrix.
:sad:

What about Queen Jiuliana. Did the Princess still have contact with her?. Was she invited for her funeral?

What about Queen Jiuliana. Did the Princess still have contact with her?. Was she invited for her funeral?

Not that I know of. After WWII Queen Wilhelmina rücksichtlos ended all contacts with her German relatives. It seems also cries for help from relatives out of East-Prussia met deaf ears. Queen Wilhelmina came back in a pillaged country which endured famine during the winter of 1944. She lost any empathy for the plight of her German relatives (whom often lost everything in the War and by Communist confiscation).

In 1948 Queen Wilhelmina abdicated and it looks like Queen Juliana continued her ban: no Reuss, no Mecklenburg, no Waldeck-Pyrmont. However: in 1962 Louis Ferdinand von Preussen was a guest at the Silver Wedding. Picture: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/16/e3/5b16e3bce846e70765fa1baa8f06ab24.jpg

Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana however did help Armgard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld, von Sierstorpff-Cramm to escape East-Prussia. They pursued the Dutch Government to request a Wiedergutmachung for lost Lippe-Biesterfeld properties. And a lovely romantic stately house was bought for Princess Armgard. Picture: https://www.landgoedereninoverijssel.nl/files/landgoederen/145_het-warmelo/145_warmelo.jpg

I can understand the amazement of Princess Woizlawa-Feodora Reuß. The "nazism" of the Reuss and Mecklenburgs was nothing compared to that of Josias von Waldeck und Pyrmont, a true beast and criminal. So the revived contacts between Queen Beatrix and Fürst Wittekind were somewhat strange indeed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom