Princely Houses of Isenburg and Ysenburg und Büdingen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Thank you, eya. I'm on my phone so cannot "thank" you, as my computer is playing up.

Princess Alix is a beautiful baby, and I love her christening gown.

Reactions: eya
Princess Sarah is pregnant again. The baby is due in January.

Source: Stefan at Nobiliana, BAG 2016

It is. :ermm: Not new, but not common. When empress zita was given the name it was surprising at best, named in honor of a saint. Even in her extended family there are a few great granddaughters with it as a first name and a few as middle. The Isenbergs have no family relation. Jamie of bourbon Parma named his daughter zita, but his grandfather and zita were sister and brother.

Now when they call Alix a uncommon name, that us a stretch. Her name can be well traced in the family.

Last edited:
H.S.H. Fürst Franz Alexander zu Isenburg has passed away on 5 May 2018, aged 74.

He was the only son of Fürst Franz Ferdinand zu Isenburg and of his wife, née Countess Irina Tolstoy; he was born in Birstein on 22 July 1943.
He was married since 1968 to Countess Elisabeth Christine von Saurma, by whom he had two sons (Alexander, now the new Fürst zu Isenburh, and Viktor) and three daughters (Katharina, Archduchess Martin of Austria-Este; Isabelle, Dowager Fürstin zu Wied; Sophie, Princess Georg Friedrich of Prussia).

His funeral will take place on 19 May 2018 in Birstein.

Das Fürstenhaus gibt bekannt: S.D. Franz Alexander Fürst von Isenburg ist gestorben | Fürstenhaus Isenburg

Sarah of Isenburg and her mother Constance Neuhann-Lorenz attended "Life goes on Gaga 2018" at the City Hall in Vienna, Austria, on November 3:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

A question about the Birstein-line:

Fürst Karl (1838-1899) and his wife Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria Tuscany had several sons.

The eldest son was Prince Leopold. He renounced his rights on February 2nd 1898 - according to Paul Theroff's genealogy* - in favor of a younger brother Franz Joseph, great-grandfather of the present Princess of Prussia.

* Note that Wikipedia claims that Leopold 'succeeded his father as Prince of Isenburg'.

Leopold married a Princess of Saxe-Weimar in 1902, which excludes a morganatic marriage as a reason for the renunciation. Neither is a big scandal likely as the brides parents would probably not have allowed the marriage.

I did find a newspaper notice in Dutch papers from 1893/1894 that speak of an engagement of Florence Pullman, daughter of the exuberantly wealthy American industrialist George Pullman (of the famous Pullman cars) to Prince Leopold. Articles state that the Pullman fortune is ten times as much worth as the principality. The last article is one where George Pullman denies such an engagement.

I also read an American article where it said that the family was "mortgaged to the limit" and that Leopold was sent to the US in pursuit of rich heiresses, including Consuelo Vanderbilt. The article continues:

In order to pay his traveling expenses the elder (E)Isenberg borrowed nearly 60,000 on his estates and when Leopold returned minus a wealthy wife things were looking black in the principality. The servants went without wages, and the horses went without fodder, the princesses without pin money and the Prince himself without the where with all to play baccarat and other notable games.

It also states that in 1902 the prince went bankrupt:

The Imperial courts of Austria is in a turmoil because come ten years ago Prince Leopold of (E) Isenberg failed to marry Consuelo Vanderbilt and thereby acquire enough money to pay his own end his fathers debts. The matter became public through the trial of a suit brought by the estate of Lawyer Umlauff against Archduke Francis Salvator for the recovery of 30,000 florins loaned to Prince (E)Isenberg under his imperial highness’s guarantee.

In 1900 it seems that Leopold took his father's seat in the Prussian House of Lords (Preußisches Herrenhaus). I am not sure if his younger brother had a seat in the same house too.

A quick look on the website of the family does not bring us much further either: https://isenburg.de/das-fuerstenhaus/

Note that a 3rd broher, Karl, married Bertha Lewis "the daughter of a Jewish saleman from New Orleans" in 1895, which apparently did not do much to change the family's financial circumstances for the better.

---

So to finalize this post, I have two questions:

- Do posters know IF and WHY Leopold renounced his succession rights
- Do posters know if there is an open German or Austrian database of old newspapers where it might be mentioned?

Last edited:

Alexander and Sarah of Isenburg attended the premiere of "Adriana Lecouvreur" during the Salzburg Opera Festival 2019 yesterday, July 28. The couple is expecting their third child:

** gettyimages gallery **

I assume that Simon Lorenz is a relative of Princess Sarah?

Today is the 7th Wedding Anniversary of Prince Victor and Pss Jungeun Anes of Isenburg. Their Rel. Wedding was in Bruck an der Leitha,Austria. They are parents of two sweet little girls. Pss's Amalia born May 2016 and Victoria May 2018. I wish them the best and many more years of happiness.

Friedrich Leopold Prince zu Ysenburg und Buedingen and Marie-Helene Princess zu Ysenburg und Buendigen attended the Salvatore Ferragamo Frankfurt Store Opening in Frankfurt, Germany, on May 24:

** Pic **

Viktor Prince zu Isenburg attended the exhibition opening and book presentation of "The Cathedrals of the German Bundesliga" by photographer Michael von Hassel in Munich on September 27:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom