Princely House of Thurn und Taxis 1 (February 2004 - July 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Marmalade said:
Proving once again you can have money and still no taste....tsk tsk..
Gloria is dressed quite demurely, apart from the red scarf which adds a splash of colour. And she still has her "Pilgrimage to Lourdes" hairstyle, which I find a bit sackcloth and ashes.

Maria Theresia and Elisabeth are playing dress-ups, as the young and the rich tend to do in New York.

can any tell me any info about the younger generation ie albert and his sisters ..... ?

victoria_89 said:
can any tell me any info about the younger generation ie Albert and his sisters ..... ?
Basic detail:
  • HSH Albert, 12th Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, Prince zu Buchau, Prince von Krotoszyn, Duke zu Wörth & Domaustauf, Princely Count zu Friedberg-Scheer, Count zu Valsássina, zu Marchtal and zu Neresheim, etc, b 24 June 1983.
  • HSH Princess Maria Theresia, b 28 Nov 1980
  • HSH Princess Elisabeth, b 24 March 1982.
I would imagine Albert is learning the ropes of the family businesses while his sisters page through the Almanach de Gotha looking for suitable husbands. :)

Beatrice said:
I'm not sure if you have seen this pictures before but here they are some..
Thanks for these Beatrice, the photo of Albert is a good one. :)

As to the second pic of "Princess Caroline, daughter of Prince Viktor of the Bohemian branch", I can't find any mention of either in the genealogical data or the Almanach de Gotha.

Warren said:
Basic detail:
  • HSH Albert, 12th Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, Prince zu Buchau, Prince von Krotoszyn, Duke zu Wörth & Domaustauf, Princely Count zu Friedberg-Scheer, Count zu Valsássina, zu Marchtal and zu Neresheim, etc, b 24 June 1983.
  • HSH Princess Maria Theresia, b 28 Nov 1980
  • HSH Princess Elisabeth, b 24 March 1982.
I would imagine Albert is learning the ropes of the family businesses while his sisters page through the Almanach de Gotha looking for suitable husbands. :)

They would make very suitable brides theirselves.

Warren said:
Thanks for these Beatrice, the photo of Albert is a good one. :)

As to the second pic of "Princess Caroline, daughter of Prince Viktor of the Bohemian branch", I can't find any mention of either in the genealogical data or the Almanach de Gotha.
You're welcome;) .For Caroline i can't find anything either and at the modern jet set there are only 2-3 photos from the ball.That's all...:confused:

On the website of the Princely Family, I was looking through the photographs, and came across one of a beautiful crypt where the members of the family are buried. It is such a beautiful crypt, and I was wondering if it was open to the public to visit? Also, if anyone had any other photographs of the crypt. It is, in my opinion, a very beautiful resting place for the members of the family.

victoria_89 said:
What exactly do they do ? Are they like a princeapilty ?
They are one of the grand Princely families from the old Holy Roman Empire. The family has preserved and built on its wealth by operating businesses. So they do two things: continue the family traditions, and adapt to the modern world. The Thurn und Taxis are great survivors.

Paula** said:
How rich they are?
Very comfortable. A couple of billion US has been bandied about. Only their accountants would know for sure, and a lot of the wealth is in assets. How much is a castle worth? And the other eleven?

Warren said:
Very comfortable. A couple of billion US has been bandied about. Only their accountants would know for sure, and a lot of the wealth is in assets. How much is a castle worth? And the other eleven?
Nice, I have a special interest in Thurn und Taxis I can't explain
They were reigning someday?, when?

Paula** said:
Nice, I have a special interest in Thurn und Taxis I can't explain
They were reigning someday?, when?
No, they never reigned. They were made Princes of the Holy Roman Empire in 1681 and 1695. The family held the position of Grand Postmaster General to the Empire from 1595 and became Hereditary General Postmaster of the Holy Roman Empire in 1744. Their extensive communications network across Europe made the family immensely rich and powerful.

In 1803, in compensation for lost lands and revenues because of Napoleon, some lordships were erected into the principality of Buchau, but this entity only lasted until 1815 and the Congress of Vienna, when the map of Europe was redrawn. The Thurn und Taxis then became Mediatised Princes, ie ranking equal with the reigning houses.

Last edited:
The Princess of Thurn and Taxis

I´m very interested in the princess of thurn and taxis. Wilhelmine, Helene, Therese and Margarethe. And of course Gloria. But this thread has already been! So, what do you think of this women? I think that they were stronger then their husbands. :)

Does anyone know who is Caroline von Thurn und Taxis?

Gloria is something like Madonna. She is constantly re-inventing herself. After her husband died, she shed her bad girl image and devoted herself to her children. She also donated (sold?) many of her historically important jewels to France.

Danielane said:
She's unknown by most of the genealogists.

Caroline of Thurn and Taxis was born in Brescia *03. November 1846 and died in Loucen 17. Oktober 1931.
Caroline married Prince Gustav Otto Maximilian Lamoral of Thurn and Taxis, a Cousin.
She was a member of the böhmische line of Thurn and Taxis. Here is a picture of her. I hope that is the right person. ;)

http://mesta.obce.cz/loucen/foto_karolina.htm

Preity said:
Caroline of Thurn and Taxis was born in Brescia *03. November 1846 and died in Loucen 17. Oktober 1931.
Caroline married Prince Gustav Otto Maximilian Lamoral of Thurn and Taxis, a Cousin.
She was a member of the böhmische line of Thurn and Taxis. Here is a picture of her. I hope that is the right person. ;)
http://mesta.obce.cz/loucen/foto_karolina.htm
Thank you for the research Preity :), but the Princess Caroline in question is a modern-day one. Because we can find no record of her in the genealogies we have doubts about her identity and right to call herself a Princess of Thurn und Taxis. See posts 42, 43 and 45.

Warren said:
Thank you for the research Preity :), but the Princess Caroline in question is a modern-day one. Because we can find no record of her in the genealogies we have doubts about her identity and right to call herself a Princess of Thurn und Taxis. See posts 42, 43 and 45.

I don´t know her, too. But I have a few books about the Thurn and Taxis. I will look :) !
It is quite difficult to find informations about the younger History of Thurn and Taxis. About Gloria and her family, I know a lot.
Preity

I´m sorry. I didn´t find anything about Carolina Thurn und Taxis. :(
But in which magazine do you found this picture of Carolina?
Preity

Preity said:
I´m sorry. I didn´t find anything about Carolina Thurn und Taxis. :(
But in which magazine do you found this picture of Carolina?
Preity
It looks like Hello!
Since we're agreed she's not a genuine Thurn und Taxis, we needn't waste any more time on her. :)

Warren said:

There's a Lida princess Thurn & Taxis born Nicholls, who married Prince Viktor Thurn & Taxis in 1911. A discussion at rootsweb.com implied that she only died in 1965. Maybe she adopted the "prince Viktor" in question and this Caroline is a daughter of this "prince Viktor"? It would fit with the generations, at least.

That I found at:http://www.ancestralbranches.com/ta...=1&PHPSESSID=81f9448c5f9a3a52b200e08d39db3f6e

Article that appeared in The Washington Post, on Wednesday, 22 April 1908:
PRINCE VICTOR OF THURN AND TAXIS
As Prince Victor of Thurn and Taxis is coming in for a good deal of attention just at present on both sides of the Atlantic in connection with his vain appeal to the English tribunals to prevent a young New York actress from styling herself his wife, and also as defendant in an action brought at Paris by a woman for money advanced to him in order to enable him to press his suit for the hand and fortune of some American heiress, it may be just as well to call attention to the fact that he left the Austrian army under extremely discreditable circumstances, entailing his retirement, not to say worse, from all the clubs which he belonged to at Vienna and at Pesth.
He formerly held a commission in the Ninth Austrian Hussar Regiment, a crack corps, but was deprived thereof without being even permitted to have his name carried on the reserve list of officers of the Austrian army, and it may be added that Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, who spent some months in this country last year, and was one of his fellow-officers in the Ninth Hussars, not only refused to hold any intercourse whatsoever with him, but even went so far as to warn people against him. This was all the more necessary, as well as timely, as the princely and ducal house of Thurn and Taxis is one of the most illustrious and historic families of Europe.
Gen. Grant Was Warned
In fact, I am betraying no confidence by stating that Gen. Frederick D. Grant, who, while American envoy at Vienna, had received many attentions from various members of the Thurn and Taxis family, was about to entertain Prince Victor at Governors Island in recognition of these courtesies, when warned in time of the nature of Prince Victor's shortcomings. It is amazing that the prince, in view of what has taken place in Austria, should so impudently court publicity in England and in France.
The chief of the family, of which Prince Victor is the black sheep, is Prince Albert, Duke of Woerth and of Donaustaufen, a nephew of the late Empress of Austria, married to an Austrian archduchess, and one of the very wealthiest nobles in Europe. He still bears the title of hereditary postmaster general of the Holy Roman Empire, conferred on the head of his house 300 years ago, and he is also titular postmaster general to the crown of Bavaria.

End of quote. Seems that this prince Viktor was the black sheep of the family, so maybe the family decided not to recognize any descendents.

Last edited:
Thank you Jo. :)
The ultimate indignity for a gentleman: having to resign from his clubs. Disgraced, humiliated and socially shunned, even in New York! No wonder Caroline (if she is a descendant of Prince Viktor) doesn't appear in the lists of the family.

The Crillon debutante information on the net says that Caroline comes from Austria. There, in Vienna, a Victor Thurn & Taxis has a film service. Alas, there is nothing more to find out at www.thurnundtaxis.at...

Warren said:
It looks like Hello!
Since we're agreed she's not a genuine Thurn und Taxis, we needn't waste any more time on her. :)

OK Warren.
I understood. No more Carolina, no more drama :p !
Greetings to Australia to Germany Preity :rolleyes:

I know that Albert want a catholic woman. Isn´t it exaggerated ? :confused:
I mean when he is in love with a evangelist woman, is Gloria disappointed?:rolleyes:

Preity

Preity said:
I know that Albert want a catholic woman. Isn´t it exaggerated ? :confused:
I mean when he is in love with a evangelist woman, is Gloria disappointed?:rolleyes:
Preity
Albert will probably marry in accordance with the House Rules. But since he is the Head of the House, he can make his own rules. :D
I'm sure Gloria would like him to marry a good Roman Catholic girl, but possibly the over-riding concern is that she is from a Royal/Princely/Mediatised family.
But we shouldn't pre-judge; the Thurn und Taxis have a knack for adapting and surviving.

so are they a recognized royal family /title or do people just use it out of respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom