Princely House of Schwarzenberg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The Princely House of Schwarzenberg

House_of_Schwarzenberg_arms.gif

Arms of the Princes of Schwarzenberg

~ ¤ ~

Last edited:
According to Paul Theroff's site, Karl Johannes Furst zu Schwarzenberg and his ex-wife Theresa, nèe Grafin zu Hardegg, remarried on 25 July 2008. They were previously married between 1967 and 1988.

The Tsjech court has rejected the demand of princess Elisabeth of Schwarzenberg she wanted to get two family castles back, that fell into the hands of the state during WWII. The properties are Schloss Krumau (Česky Krumlov) and Schloss Frauenberg (Hluboká nad Vltavou), who both are on the UNESCO world heritage list. The two castles were confisquated by the Nazi's and later went to the Tsech state. The princess claimed this happened illigaly, the court says it has not.

More information in German here.
Source in Dutch: monarchen.nl

The family genealogy the online Gotha: Schwarzenberg

Mardam's site has the Schwarzenberg family mausoleum: Schwarzenberg mausoleum

And from wikipedia:

chwarzenberg (Czech: ze Švarcenberka) is the name of a Frankish and Bohemian aristocratic family which was first mentioned in 1172. A branch of the Seinsheim family (the non-Schwarzenberg portion died out in 1958) created when Erkinger I of Seinshein acquired the Frankish barony of Schwarzenberg, the castle Schwarzenberg and the title Baron of Schwarzenberg, in 1405–21. At this time they also possessed some fiefdoms in Bohemia. In 1599 the Schwarzenbergs were elevated to Counts and in 1670 to Princes. The House of Schwarzenberg came into extensive land holdings in Bohemia in 1661 through a marriage alliance with the House of Eggenberg. In the 1670s, they established their primary seat in Bohemia. Until 1918 their primary residence was in Český Krumlov, Bohemia (now in the Czech Republic).
Read more here: House of Schwarzenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tsjech court has rejected the demand of princess Elisabeth of Schwarzenberg she wanted to get two family castles back, that fell into the hands of the state during WWII. The properties are Schloss Krumau (Česky Krumlov) and Schloss Frauenberg (Hluboká nad Vltavou), who both are on the UNESCO world heritage list. The two castles were confisquated by the Nazi's and later went to the Tsech state. The princess claimed this happened illigaly, the court says it has not.

More information in German here.
Source in Dutch: monarchen.nl

These castles were proprety of primogeniture, weren't they? I read something about it in the book - it was interview with Karel (Carl)Schwarzenberg.. Very interesting book. He said his opinion on situation in the Czech Republic in 1989, 1997, 2001 and 2008 (the book has 4 parts), he also spoke about his family,...

Can anyone give me any information about Prince Karl´s sister Maria, or if he had any other brothers and sisters?

Prince Karl has two sisters and one brother:
- Marie Eleonora, born in 1936, married in 1969 to Leopold-Bill von Bredow, three children (Vendeline, b. 1970, Leopold, b.1971, married and no children, Felix, b.1973)
- Friedrich, born in 1940, married in 1984 to Regula Brigitta Schlegel, two children (Marie-Helene, b.1987, Ferdinand, b.1989)
- Anna Maria, born in 1946, married in 1980 to Elmar Frhr von Haxthausen, two children (Caspar, b.1980 and August, b.1985)

The current Fürst zu Schwarzenberg and his wife have three children (Johannes [born 1967], Anna [born 1968, married Peter Morgan] and Karl Philipp [born 1979, married Anna Gfn von u. zu Eltz gennant Faust von Stromberg])

However, in 1987/88, their youngest son changed his name to Prinzhorn "upon adoption by Thomas Prinzhorn (who is purportedly his natural father) 1987/8" (Theroff Files, House of Schwarzenberg)

So who's Karl Prinzhorn's father? Karl Schwarzenberg or Thomas Prinzhorn?:confused:

As far as I know, Prince Karel and Princess Theresa, née Countess von Hardegg, married in 1967; during their marriage three children were born; one of them, the last, was the product of a relation between the Princess and Thomas Prinzhorn.
Later, in the 1980s, the Prince and the Princess divorced, and she marry Mr. Prinzhorn, who adopted Karl Philipp (his natural son).
Finally, I don't know why and how, in July 2008 Prince Karel and Therese married again.
So, Karl Philipp Prinzhorn is the natural son of Thomas Prinzhorn.

As far as I know, Prince Karel and Princess Theresa, née Countess von Hardegg, married in 1967; during their marriage three children were born; one of them, the last, was the product of a relation between the Princess and Thomas Prinzhorn.
Later, in the 1980s, the Prince and the Princess divorced, and she marry Mr. Prinzhorn, who adopted Karl Philipp (his natural son).
Finally, I don't know why and how, in July 2008 Prince Karel and Therese married again.
So, Karl Philipp Prinzhorn is the natural son of Thomas Prinzhorn.
Princess Therese was never married to Thomas Prinzhorn. She had an terribel accident around 15 years ago but she has recovered from it but still difficulties walking. And yes the youngest son is the son of Princess Therese and Mrs. Prinzhorn. this was actually the reason he wad adopted by him and took the surname Prinzhorn.

Yes, you're might, I've mistook; they only have had a love story.
Which kind of accident did Princess Therese have?
And do you know why did they divorce, since they have remarried after 20 years from the divorce? Maybe because of the story with Prinzhorn?

Yes, you're might, I've mistook; they only have had a love story.
Which kind of accident did Princess Therese have?
And do you know why did they divorce, since they have remarried after 20 years from the divorce? Maybe because of the story with Prinzhorn?
It was a skiing accident where she almost died. She written a book about her recovery called "Mein Weg zurück ins Leben" (My way back to life). Don't know the reason for the divorce but in an Interview last year she said that the divorce was a bad thing because she and her husband always where in love.

It seems that her son "Erbprinz" Johannes von Schwarzenberg is engaged to Diana Orgovanyi-Hanstein...

yes; according to Kurier.at, they're going to marry the next 20 March 2010 in Neuburg, Styria; after the wedding, they will held a reception in Schloss Murau, that belongs to the Family.

That's a good thing; as far as I know, Schwarzenberg Family still owns a lot of lands and forests.

Schloss Murau, Styria, Austria
property of the Schwarzenbergs

--> Aerial view (click on pic twice to enlarge)

V - pic not subject to copyright (Wikipedia Commons)

Attachments

• Schwarzenberg, Schloss Murau, Styria Austria.jpg
    Schwarzenberg, Schloss Murau, Styria Austria.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 2,277
Last edited:
The Schloss Murau property looks amazing, wish we could see more detail.

Anyone knows something more about Orgovanyi-Hanstein family?In the link above it is said to a very old family which can trace their ancestry back up to 1471...

I know some of the members of this family are already mixed with Barons von Berg and Barons Lipthay de Kisfalud et Lubelle...

There were also Barons von Hanstein whose family members were Governers of Kassel and Generals so there might be some connection between the origin of Hanstein adding to Orgovanyi family name...

Orgovanyi-Hanstein

I have researched many directories and the internet and have found out very little about the Orgovanyi-Hanstein Family and background. If anybody can help and direct me to some information I would be most grateful.

Lets hope that Diana has some intelligence to help Johannes out with the task he has with the Schwazenberg Properties and business interests. It must be a nightmare to be handed back The Czech Properties all in need of many many Millions of any currency to put them in habitable and hence in a profitable state. The Schwarzenbergs in common with many families may be asset rich but when it comes to cash to repair their properties it is sadly lacking. Maybe the Orgovanyi-Hanstein have deep coffers. Who knows.

Should be a good wedding anyway, anybody got any invites yet ??

This saturday (20.3. 2010) is the wedding day of Johannes Schwarzenberg and Diana Orgovanyi-Hanstein.

Schloss Murau

Schloss Murau is gorgeous. Anyone wanting to see the Schloss should go to Murau for the Shakespeare Festival that the Princess hosts there each July. There are plays and concerts inside and outside the Schwarzenberg home, and the Prince and Princess attend most performances.

European Shakespeare Theatre Project

I think the Schwarzenbergs will find that there estates in Bohemia and Moravia are in very good repair. The Czech government was and is among world leaders in the restoration and conservation of stately homes and landed estates. I hope the Schwarzenbergs will not be as arrogant as to assume this is a return to the old order, and the plebs can be kept out by mantraps and armed bailifs. Our heritage is for us all .

Bohemian and Schwarzenberg Castles

Thane of Edinburgh although writes well, does not know much about Castles and Property returned to people after Communist Rule:

He is correct to say that some castles are in good repair. but although Schwarzenberg may have recieved some castles back (not all though, were returned as they should have been). I would suggest that Thane goes and actually sees the properties that were returned. It would need many many millions of any currency to put them all in order. A Substancial amount of the property that was returned was in terrible condition.

It will take the Schwarzenbergs many generations to return them to their former glory. As for the Schwarzenbergs should not return to the old order bit in his entry. He quite obviosly knows nothing about The Schwarzenbergs at all. The Family are well respected by the Czechs and they are quite normal modern people. He should also know that under Czech Law all people have the right to roam over any persons land. Therefore entry to any land cannot be withheld. The Family do all they can repairing old monuments and crosses thoughout the country side.

Even before the WW II they were the only Noble Family where all the family spoke Czech for many generations. I think that Thane should know what he talks about before writing, as it turns out to be incorrect information.

I think that Karel Schwarzenberg is doing a wonderful job for The Czech Republic. he is now Deputy Prime Minister. A great honour for his family. He would make a fine President who knows what will happen in the future.

One thing for sure the Czech Nation is indeed very lucky to have such a man. When he was little boy the Czech Government (Then Communist) threw him and his family out of the country and took all their property. The man must have a very big heart to have that done to him and still he works tirelessly for the good of all Czechs. He is indeed a Noble Spirit. Others should follow his example and the world would be a better place for it.

I have researched many directories and the internet and have found out very little about the Orgovanyi-Hanstein Family and background. If anybody can help and direct me to some information I would be most grateful.

Well,not much but Attila Orgovayi-Hanstein,father of Princess Diana von Schwarzenberg,is in fact second cousin of Archduchess Francesca of Austria as his grandmother,Baroness Hedwig von Berg is the only sister of Francesca's grandfather,Baron Heinrich von Thyssen-Bornemissza de Kászon et Impérfalva...

Apart from being second cousin once removed to an Archduchess of Austria,interesting fact is also that Diana has descended from Habsburgs themselves...

She can even trace her ancestry from Byzantine Emperors!

Last edited:
Here is her line from Byzantine Emperors:

Emperor Alexios III of Byzantium(1155-1211)
I
Princess Anna Komnena of Byzantium(1174-1212)
I
Princess Maria Laskaris of Nicea(1206-1270)
I
King Stephan V of Hungary(1239-1272)
I
Princess Katalin of Hungary(1256-1314)
I
Princess Jelisaveta Nemanjic of Serbia(1283-1331)
I
Prince Ninoslav Kotromanic of Bosnia
I
Princess Maria Kotromanic of Bosnia(1333-1403)
I
Countess Beatrix von Helfenstein,died in 1385
I
Countess Anna von Oettingen(1380-1436)
I
Markgräfin Beatrix von Baden(1400-1452)
I
Countess Margarethe von Leiningen(married in 1440)
I
Count Melchior von Daun-Falkentstein(1451-1517)
I
Count Wirich V von Daun-Falkenstein(1473-1544)
I
Count Philipp von Daun-Falkenstein(married in 1552)
I
Countess Magdalena Margaretha von Daun-Falkenstein(1554-1585)
I
Wyrich von Bernsau zu Bellinghoven(1580-1656)
I
Magdalena Sophia von Bernsau zu Bellinghoven,died in 1641
I
Margaretha Elisabeth van Eyll,died in 1704
I
Magdalena Sophia van Raesfeld-Schulenborch(1657-1704)
I
Freiherr Johann Heinrich von Münster auf Surenburg(1694-1735)
I
Freiherr Gerog von Münster(1721-1773)
I
Freiherrin Henriette von Münster(1752-1796)
I
Freiherr Friedrich von Hammerstein-Equord(1775-1851)
I
Freiherrin Mathilde von Hammerstein-Equord(1804-1864)
I
Freiherr Gustav von Berg(1828-1903)
I
Freiherr Maximilian von Berg(1859-1924)
I
Freherrin Maximiliane von Berg,born in 1908
I
Attila Orgovanyi-Hanstein(1946-1985)
I
Diana Orgovanyi-Hanstein,born in 1972 = Prince Johannes von Schwarzenberg,born in 1967

Hope this puts some light on her ancestry!

Last edited:
it was officialy announced today, that Karl von Schwarzenberg will candidate on president post in 2013 election in Czech republic.

Back
Top Bottom