Princely House of Khevenhüller-Metsch

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Khevenhller.jpg

Khevenhüller Arms

The Princely House of Khevenhüller-Metsch

This Catholic familiy originated in Carinthia, Austria and were first mentioned in 1396.
Baron of the Holy Empire 1566
Austrian Count 1673
Count of the Holy Empire 1725
joined the name and arms of Metsch 1751
Bohemian Prince 1763
Prince of the Holy Empire 1763

The Head of the family and his wife bear the title of Prince and Princess von Khevenhüller-Metsch with the qualification of Serene Highness.
Cadet members bear the title of Count or Countess von Khevenhüller-Metsch.

HSH Max, 9th Fürst von Khevenhüller-Metsch (1919-2010)

HSH Johannes (b1956) 10th Fürst von Khevenhüller-Metsch,
und Aichelberg, Graf zu Hohenosterwitz und Annabichl, Baron zu Landskron und Wernberg, Erbherr auf Carlsberg, Riegersburg und Ladendorf.

married 1986 Donna Camilla Borghese di Principi di Nettuno (b1962)
issue: 4 daughters

• • •
 

Last edited:
death of the Fürst of khenvehüller-Metsch

Fürst Maximilian of Khevenhüller-Metsch died early on Wednesday 24.03.2010 at Lower Austira. He was 90 years old. he is survived by his wiefe, 5 children and 21 grandchildren. One of his sisters is Princess Hella of Bavaria.

Trauer um Fürst Khevenhüller > Kleine Zeitung

Fabulous Khevenhüller-Metsch Castle

Burg Hochosterwitz, Carinthia, Austria

Seen in the photo in the link posted by Stefan above.
According to Wiki "Since the 16th century, no major changes have been made to Hochosterwitz. It has also remained in the possession of the Khevenhüller family as requested by the original builder, George Khevenhüller. A marble plaque dating from 1576 in the castle yard documents this request."

-> Burg Hochosterwitz

-> The Burg from afar

-> Yes, this is real!

Last edited:
What a fantastic place. It would be fun as well as very interesting to visit such a holding and listen to stories about it's history. It's interesting to find Royal and Noble families still living in such surroundings.:)

I like learning about new things espically dynasties no matter what part of the world they come from.It's exicting to see that there are still royal and noble families around and hear of those I have not heard of before.

It is interesting that they maintained intermarrying with noble/equal families...Current Fürst is married to a member of Borghese princely family while all of his sibling intermarried with nobles,some with Castell-Castell and Walburg-Wolfegg families...Their aunt Helene was married to two Bayern Princes...

Is Countess Hemma the heiress to the Khevenhuller-Metsch title?

No, she isn't. The heir presumptive to the Headship of the House of Khenevhüller-Metsch is her uncle, Count Bartholomäus.

One of the daughters of the late head of the house, Helena married into the Lobckowicz family, she married Prince Peter of Lobckowicz. The Khevenhuller-Metsch family marry well.

Two descendants of the family are in line for the British throne

Last edited by a moderator:
Who are the two descendants of the Khevenhuller-Metsch family who are in line for the British throne?
It’s actually more than two and they are all women.
1) Countess Stephanie von Khevenhüller-Metsch
2) Countess Hemma von Khevenhüller-Metsch
3) Countess Teresa von Khevenhüller-Metsch
4) Countess Marie von Khevenhüller-Metsch
5) Countess Paula von Khevenhüller-Metsch

Who are the two descendants of the Khevenhuller-Metsch family who are in line for the British throne?

Stephanie Gräfin zu Castell-Castell (1966)
x Georg Graf von Khevenhüller-Metsch
= Hemma Gräfin von Khevenhüller-Metsch (1994)
= Teresa Gräfin von Khevenhüller-Metsch (1996)
= Marie Gräfin von Khevenhüller-Metsch (1998)
= Paula Gräfin von Khevenhüller-Metsch (2003)

Stephanie is the daughter of Albrecht Fürst zu Castell-Castell and of Marie-Luise Prinzessin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont.

Last edited:
Sigismund III, Herr Khevenhüller in Hohen-Osterwitz is an ancestor of Prince Charles, Prince of Wales.

Who are they exactly?
I believe that the wife of Georg (née Countess Stephanie zu Castell Castell) is in line of succession to the British Throne, and thus also her four children, though in a very remote position.

Who are they exactly?
I believe that the wife of Georg (née Countess Stephanie zu Castell Castell) is in line of succession to the British Throne, and thus also her four children, though in a very remote position.
Are you referring to the members of the family I listed? Yes, those members are in the succession.

The line of succession is just a piece of paper. Du moment the number 23 or so is called (that will be one of the Tindalls) then the republic is not far away, let alone a number 782 or a number 1362...

In practice the succession is limited with the Cambridges because when a Harry (6) and Meghan have to return to The Firm because all successors before them are out, then the monarchy is already on knife edge.

The Khevenhüller-Metsches can sleep peacefully: they will never ever be called upon the British throne.

Are you referring to the members of the family I listed? Yes, those members are in the succession.
Yes, I was referring to them. When I posted my question I didn't see that a reply had already been provided.

The line of succession is just a piece of paper. Du moment the number 23 or so is called (that will be one of the Tindalls) then the republic is not far away, let alone a number 782 or a number 1362...

In practice the succession is limited with the Cambridges because when a Harry (6) and Meghan have to return to The Firm because all successors before them are out, then the monarchy is already on knife edge.

The Khevenhüller-Metsches can sleep peacefully: they will never ever be called upon the British throne.
Oh of course they are most certainly far down in the succession, I simply brought it up because this thread is quite dry and I am interested in the family. Also because when I looked up the family sometime ago, I remembered that certain members were in the succession.

They still own Burg Hochosterwitz since the 16th century and very little alterations have been made.

Yes, I was referring to them. When I posted my question I didn't see that a reply had already been provided.
That’s fine. It is all there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members of the countly branch continue to “marry well”. Has anyone seen the latest announcements in the engagement section?

Members of the countly branch continue to “marry well”. Has anyone seen the latest announcements in the engagement section?

Yeah, and Franz Christoph is a long-time friend of Wenzel of Liechtenstein. German/Austrian aristocrats grow up in the same environment.

They all belong the the Princely Family as their fathers are younger sons of a Fürst. But it hat Family the junior member al are Count/Countess

Yeah, and Franz Christoph is a long-time friend of Wenzel of Liechtenstein. German/Austrian aristocrats grow up in the same environment.
Not all German/Austrian royals and aristocrats marry aristocrats all the time, some of the girls aren’t marrying aristocrats or even untitled nobility. Who is Franz Christoph?

They all belong the the Princely Family as their fathers are younger sons of a Fürst. But it hat Family the junior member al are Count/Countess
Thank you for the correction

Not all German/Austrian royals and aristocrats marry aristocrats all the time, some of the girls aren’t marrying aristocrats or even untitled nobility. Who is Franz Christoph?
Count Franz Christoph von Khevenhüller-Metsch is the young man whose engages to Countess Tatiana de Liedekerke you commented on in the Engagements thread.

Count Franz Christoph von Khevenhüller-Metsch is the young man whose engages to Countess Tatiana de Liedekerke you commented on in the Engagements thread.
Ohh! Thanks, I just forgot the name. I’m more familiar with some of the names of the daughters of the late Prince Johannes Khevenhüller-Metsch.

What’s interesting is that they met in London, not in Austria or Germany

What’s interesting is that they met in London, not in Austria or Germany
They both live and work in London which is also the place where Tatiana was raised.

They both live and work in London which is also the place where Tatiana was raised.
I thought they lived in Germany or Austria, until I read London in Marlene’s blog.

Back
Top Bottom