Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson, Current Events Part 2: Aug 2009 - June 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that his grandfather's inheritance was tied to conditions about whom he marries, unfortunately, that has been the reality in which he has lived his whole life.

These conditions smell with Hitlerism and should be lawfully annulled.

I've been on the "he should just walk away for her" train before but I'm sure I might feel differently if it was a lot of money/land/property/family memories I was giving up.

Given that his engagement to Elvire Pasté de Rochefort was terminated over a financial dispute, it might be that the money/property is a higher priority for him than a legal marriage.

These conditions smell with Hitlerism and should be lawfully annulled.

Which law do you have in mind?

I suppose as he is heir to a large property perhaps he feels its difficult to walk away from both the responsibility and the pluses of being very rich.. but I suppose I'd like to feel that if someone left me a lot of property with a caveat that I couldn't marry as I chose and had to stick with some racial theory, I would walk away from it and make my own living and not be subject to the whims of some unpleasant Hitler type will.
I would have thought that as Germany has put its Nazi past in the past by now it would be possible to overturn the will's provisions as against the consitution....

Maybe it is not only about the money but also about preserving the heritage and taking care of his larger family. He was his grandfather's heir, so if he had decided to marry against the requirements put in his grandfather's will earlier, I believe his parents would have been kicked out of the estate as well. He would not just have forfeited his own way of life but also that of his parents (and siblings to a smaller extent).

Maybe it is not only about the money but also about preserving the heritage and taking care of his larger family. He was his grandfather's heir, so if he had decided to marry against the requirements put in his grandfather's will earlier, I believe his parents would have been kicked out of the estate as well. He would not just have forfeited his own way of life but also that of his parents (and siblings to a smaller extent).

I dont suppose his parents woudl be out on the street though.. and I htought that his father ran the estate till his death a couple of years ago. I dont entirley blame him.. but I can't help feeling he would have been better to reject the inheritance and make his own living...

I would have thought that as Germany has put its Nazi past in the past by now it would be possible to overturn the will's provisions as against the consitution....

I suppose the nobility associations would fight hard against the establishment of any law that would overturn testamentary provisions which were against the rules of the German constitution. Many of them inherited their properties via discriminatory wills and would not want to lose their inheritances to their sisters or half-siblings.

Given that his engagement to Elvire Pasté de Rochefort was terminated over a financial dispute, it might be that the money/property is a higher priority for him than a legal marriage.

Well if a couple break up over IIRC parental arguments about the pre nup it probably wasn't meant to be in the first place. The fact that they have challenged the will means that they probably would ideally like to be married.

I do think everything about the Aryan clause in the will stinks but even German courts have ruled one is able to put any provisos on the inheritance of property as one wishes.

It's just not as easy to walk away from everything, and making that choice for your family as well, practically speaking then it is in the abstract.

I dont suppose his parents woudl be out on the street though.. and I htought that his father ran the estate till his death a couple of years ago. I dont entirley blame him.. but I can't help feeling he would have been better to reject the inheritance and make his own living...

I am not 100% sure of how all of this worked but I am pretty confident that it was Gustav who formally inherited it and his father who was appointed as a guardian or so (which made sense as Gustav wasn't even born when his grandfather died); so, if Gustav had forfeited his inheritance, I would think that the whole inheritance would have gone to a different family member which would have resulted in his parents being kicked out - and yes, while they could have moved to Denmark for example, this would have made the decision much harder on Gustav than if it had only been himself who would have been harmed by his decision (while he would have gained a wife).

Im sure he would like to be married... and perhaps now its a bit late for him to change the way of life he has.. but it seems very odd to me that a man would let someone dictate to him like htat about whom he can marry, and that he wouldnt prefer to be less rich and independent..

Im sure he would like to be married... and perhaps now its a bit late for him to change the way of life he has.. but it seems very odd to me that a man would let someone dictate to him like htat about whom he can marry, and that he wouldnt prefer to be less rich and independent..

As Tatiana Maria pointed out. It seems that being married was not his highest priority based on his own engagement history.

And he is not the only one among the German former-royalty and nobility who feels obliged to his heritage and is because of that not completely 'free' to marry whom they want. While it seems that for example Georg Friedrich and Sophie are a happy couple; GF was clear about marrying according to the house rules - it wasn't an option for him to marry someone who would not meet the requirements. In general, some non-reigning houses seem to be 'stricter' in marrying 'the right spouses' than the reigning houses.

As Tatiana Maria pointed out. It seems that being married was not his highest priority based on his own engagement history.

And he is not the only one among the German former-royalty and nobility who feels obliged to his heritage and is because of that not completely 'free' to marry whom they want. While it seems that for example Georg Friedrich and Sophie are a happy couple; GF was clear about marrying according to the house rules - it wasn't an option for him to marry someone who would not meet the requirements. In general, some non-reigning houses seem to be 'stricter' in marrying 'the right spouses' than the reigning houses.

I think that is ridiculous. For a reigning royal family, since some of its members will be working for their country, there may be something to be said about marrying "suitably".. but for non reigning royals its just silly....
And I understand that he did challenge the will so presumably he would like to marry Carina and hoped there might be a way of doing it....

I suppose the nobility associations would fight hard against the establishment of any law that would overturn testamentary provisions which were against the rules of the German constitution. Many of them inherited their properties via discriminatory wills and would not want to lose their inheritances to their sisters or half-siblings.
I'd say that the biggest incentive for the nobility to fight against the introduction of the kind of law that you allude to is that it would most likely lead to the break up of century old family estates and the dissolution of priceless and culturally invaluable collections of art.

Are they worried aobut collections of art.. or losing their estates?

Has there been any news about Gustav and Carina lately? She has not posted on her official Instagram account since October. Maybe she is spending more time in Germany?

Carina Axelsson on Instagram:
I’ve been off of IG for sooooo long! But all is well, thank you all for your messages of kindness! And life is definitely good when one is with fun friends...Wishing you all a happy and healthy evening! �� ����✨⚡️ And, yes, I’m writing, and gardening and have exciting and interesting projects I’m working on, all of which I’ll share when the time is right. Thank you all for your patience and IG friendship!
https://www.instagram.com/p/COds6WuhMwc/?igshid=1by5mmudl8aud

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

Nordic, thank you for pointing out my spelling, semantic/cognitive errors, especially since this is a royalty website.:lol: The Crown Prince of Denmark isn't Frederick, correct spelling is Frederik. Also, I should have included Crown Princess not just Princess Mary, leaving off Crown. I now stand corrected.;)

Again, it was nice to see a picture of Prince Gustav and Carina together.

One of the many reasons I stay on TRF is for enjoyment and interest of history and royalty but also to use my writing skills, or lack there of. My brain is stuffed full of demyelinating inflamed lesions from years battling MS and this is a way for me to use some of my rapidly deteriorating skills. I realized last night after posting I should have included Crown in Crown Princess Mary but was brain fatigued. The spelling issue with Frederik is a cognitive/semantics deficit. Some days I'm lucky to spell my own name correctly. As a good friend said, I am a shadow of my former self since my MS diagnosis and she wasn't being mean. Hopefully people's corrections on TRF are meant to be helpful and not mean and/or arrogant. ;)

Last edited:
:previous:

I am sorry you are struggling with MS, Lady Daly. I would never have known that you are battling cognitive issues, as your posts are consistently well-written, intelligent and educational.

I'm sure no criticism of your semantic/cognitive skills was meant and that none perceived it as offensive to call Crown Princess Mary Princess Mary (the King of the Belgians did so at an official dinner with the couple) or to translate her husband's name into English as Frederick (which was the convention until only some decades ago).

Hopefully people's corrections on TRF are meant to be helpful and not mean and/or arrogant.

That is the case with me (and I apologize if I have ever given any other impression), and I believe Nordic and most others would agree.

It may bear repeating that responses on TRF and other public fora aren't necessarily directed towards the person whose post has been cited. I suppose I can only speak from my perspective, but whenever I offer a correction, it is normally because I think there is a misperception which is found amongst many people, and not only the person who has recently commented on it (since, with rare exceptions, I see no purpose in a correction to an error which is already apparent to most).

:previous: Thank you for your kind words Tatiana Maria. TRF is truly a wealth of information from members all over the globe. I learn so much each time I log on.:flowers:

Congratulations to this loyal and loving couple . I wish them many years of happiness and joy .

Delighted for them, but such a pity they had to wait so long... Impossible to have children now !

Interesting. I wonder why the Danish royal court has not issued an announcement, as they issued announcements for the marriage and divorce of Gustav's sisters. As I understand it, Carina will become a member of the Danish Royal Family on marriage, though not the Danish Royal House, as her husband-to-be and his sisters were excluded from the Royal House because their parents failed to satisfy the conditions for the King's formal approval of their marriage under the Act of Succession of 1953.

I wonder what motivated the couple to take this step after 19 years. One of the articles in iceflower's post suggested it is related to Gustav's inheritance dispute with his great-uncle Ludwig Ferdinand, but the other article clarifies that that court case only commenced in 2017, and it was resolved in Gustav's favor in 2020.

I am very happy for this couple. I hope they are very happy.

I wonder what motivated the couple to take this step after 19 years. One of the articles in iceflower's post suggested it is related to Gustav's inheritance dispute with his great-uncle Ludwig Ferdinand, but the other article clarifies that that court case only commenced in 2017, and it was resolved in Gustav's favor in 2020.
Before 2017 was the long-running issue of Gustav's grandfather's will which gave him the family estate only if he married an Aryan, protestant member of the nobility something Carina is not. Gustav has unsuccessfully been trying to have those conditions overturned in court for many years. What's confusing here is that to my knowledge the will and its conditions is still set in place so I wonder how that will play out.

Great News for them. But a pity that it is now to late for them to have children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom