The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2020, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont suppose his parents woudl be out on the street though.. and I htought that his father ran the estate till his death a couple of years ago. I dont entirley blame him.. but I can't help feeling he would have been better to reject the inheritance and make his own living...
I am not 100% sure of how all of this worked but I am pretty confident that it was Gustav who formally inherited it and his father who was appointed as a guardian or so (which made sense as Gustav wasn't even born when his grandfather died); so, if Gustav had forfeited his inheritance, I would think that the whole inheritance would have gone to a different family member which would have resulted in his parents being kicked out - and yes, while they could have moved to Denmark for example, this would have made the decision much harder on Gustav than if it had only been himself who would have been harmed by his decision (while he would have gained a wife).

Old 12-24-2020, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Im sure he would like to be married... and perhaps now its a bit late for him to change the way of life he has.. but it seems very odd to me that a man would let someone dictate to him like htat about whom he can marry, and that he wouldnt prefer to be less rich and independent..

Old 12-24-2020, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure he would like to be married... and perhaps now its a bit late for him to change the way of life he has.. but it seems very odd to me that a man would let someone dictate to him like htat about whom he can marry, and that he wouldnt prefer to be less rich and independent..
As Tatiana Maria pointed out. It seems that being married was not his highest priority based on his own engagement history.

And he is not the only one among the German former-royalty and nobility who feels obliged to his heritage and is because of that not completely 'free' to marry whom they want. While it seems that for example Georg Friedrich and Sophie are a happy couple; GF was clear about marrying according to the house rules - it wasn't an option for him to marry someone who would not meet the requirements. In general, some non-reigning houses seem to be 'stricter' in marrying 'the right spouses' than the reigning houses.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
As Tatiana Maria pointed out. It seems that being married was not his highest priority based on his own engagement history.

And he is not the only one among the German former-royalty and nobility who feels obliged to his heritage and is because of that not completely 'free' to marry whom they want. While it seems that for example Georg Friedrich and Sophie are a happy couple; GF was clear about marrying according to the house rules - it wasn't an option for him to marry someone who would not meet the requirements. In general, some non-reigning houses seem to be 'stricter' in marrying 'the right spouses' than the reigning houses.
I think that is ridiculous. For a reigning royal family, since some of its members will be working for their country, there may be something to be said about marrying "suitably".. but for non reigning royals its just silly....
And I understand that he did challenge the will so presumably he would like to marry Carina and hoped there might be a way of doing it....
Old 12-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I suppose the nobility associations would fight hard against the establishment of any law that would overturn testamentary provisions which were against the rules of the German constitution. Many of them inherited their properties via discriminatory wills and would not want to lose their inheritances to their sisters or half-siblings.
I'd say that the biggest incentive for the nobility to fight against the introduction of the kind of law that you allude to is that it would most likely lead to the break up of century old family estates and the dissolution of priceless and culturally invaluable collections of art.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:49 PM
Majesty

Are they worried aobut collections of art.. or losing their estates?

Tags
prince gustav, prince gustav zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg, sayn