Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson, Current Events Part 2: Aug 2009 - June 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the whole matter has nothing to do with the father, Prince Richard, so his dying or not dying won't change a thing. It was Princes Richards father, Gustav's grandfather, who wrote in his will that the eldest son of his eldest son should be the heir. (By skipping one generation they would also skip inheritance tax for one generation. Imagine that heir after heir dies during the war and each time tax has to be payed! It was better to postpone the time when it was settled on who the heir would be to when he was grown up.)

The Prince Gustav Albrecht (the grand-father) was not a particularly Nazi type and he was not member of the Nazi party. He even bought the Jewish cemetory in Bad Berleburg. This being property of the Prince protected the cemetory from Nazi destruction, it remained intact. From what I know the property was given back to the community after WWII.

But it seems he was somewhat influenced by the ideology of his age and wrote in his will that the eldest son of his eldest son can only inherit if he marries a noble and aryan girl. Nowadays the aryan bit of the will would not hold in a German court. But Carina is not a noblewomen, and the court ruled that the late Prince was free to put this into his will.

The stupid thing about this is, that the will was badly phrased. He wrote that if the eldest son of the eldest son did not marry the right women, the next in line should be the heir. That way the special condition does only apply to Prince Gustav, not to the other potential heirs. I doubt that is what the grandfather wanted, but stupidly that's how he put it down. So if Gustav and Carina marry, the estate will go to a cousin who is married to a commoner.

Anyway, I think that Carina is well past forty, so they won't have any thoughts of founding a family anymore. It really doesn't matter that much whether they are married or not.

I didn't realize that the cousin, Bernhardt, married a commoner? When did the marriage take place?

I didn't realize that the cousin, Bernhardt, married a commoner? When did the marriage take place?

Bernhart Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein married on 31 August 1996 with Katharina Gräfin von Podewils-Dürniz. So no commoner at all.... The couple have one son: Wenzel Erbprinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein (b. 1997).

:flowers:

The nobility of young Prince Wenzel:

Parents
Bernhart Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein
Katharina Gräfin von Podewils-Dürniz

Grandparents
Christian-Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein
Dagmar Prinzessin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein
Max Graf von Podewils-Dürniz
Elisabeth Freiin von Hirschberg.

Last edited:
I meant Prince Gustav's first cousin Prince Sebastian, son of Prince Robin. From what I know his wife Julie Toussaint was born a commoner. Prince Sebastian is the next in line to the inheritance.

I meant Prince Gustav's first cousin Prince Sebastian, son of Prince Robin. From what I know his wife Julie Toussaint was born a commoner. Prince Sebastian is the next in line to the inheritance.

Prince Robin and his son Prince Sebastian did not comply with the House requirements to marry a partner whom is standesgemäß. I don't know the exact wording of the Will (I believe no one has seen it) but most likely they are not meeting the conditions.

It was my understanding that when Prince Gustav also does not marry standesgemäß, this means that the patrimonium of the House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg will go to the House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein.

But as long as the situation is at present, Prince Gustav is and remains the Heir. No problems.

Prince Robin and his son Prince Sebastian did not comply with the House requirements to marry a partner whom is standesgemäß. I don't know the exact wording of the Will (I believe no one has seen it) but most likely they are not meeting the conditions.

We also don't know if the requirements in the will incldues Prince Robin and his children or only Prince Gustav.

Both Houses of the same dynasty have splendid properties.

Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg lives at Schloss Berleburg, see picture and another picture.

Prine Bernhart zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein lives at Schloss Scharzenau, see picture (from 1999, which was before the last restoration) and another picture.

In the 1950's the family gave Schloss Wittgenstein in use for a gymnasium with boarding school. In 2002 it was sold to the family Kämmerling and is in splendid state, see picture and another picture.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs hold 13.500 hectare (100 hectare is 0.38610 square mile) of forests and lands, administered by the Wittgenstein-Berleburg'sche Rentkammer.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohensteins holds enormous amounts of forests and lands as well, administered by Fürst Wittgenstein`sche Waldbesitzergesellschaft. Since 1 January 2015 a cooperation has been established with the neighbouring Waldgesellschaft der Freiherrn zu Eisenbach and the new cooperation administers 22.000 hectare of forests in North Rhineland-Westphalia. The family also holds around 1000 hectare of forests in Brandenburg and 3.500 hectare of forests in Czech Republic.

It is amazing that the German royal and princely families survived two world wars and the fall of the monarchy so well...

Princess Mafalda and others died during WW2 in Concentration Camps.....

That is not what I meant. Look at the Houses Thurn und Taxis, Sayn-Wittgenstein, Lippe, Bayern, Fürstenberg, Hohenzollern, Riedesel, Salm-Salm but also to the countless Prinzen, Gräfen, Freiherren etc. who have remarkably survived with all the family patrimonium, the lands, estates, artworks and still live a wealthy life on the Familiensitz. Compare that to the nobility in Russia and Austria!

That is not what I meant. Look at the Houses Thurn und Taxis, Sayn-Wittgenstein, Lippe, Bayern, Fürstenberg, Hohenzollern, Riedesel, Salm-Salm but also to the countless Prinzen, Gräfen, Freiherren etc. who have remarkably survived with all the family patrimonium, the lands, estates, artworks and still live a wealthy life on the Familiensitz. Compare that to the nobility in Russia and Austria!

I)n Asutria there are still a lot of Famuilies who one Castles and Estates. Recently there was a Serie on servus.tv with Ardhuke Eduard of Austria called "Wo Grafen schlafen" (Where Counts sleep). They vistied quiet a number of austrian Families but also german.

It was the aristocracy of what became East Germany that lost all their properties, alon woth the Hungarian and Bohemian aristocracy

It was the aristocracy of what became East Germany that lost all their properties, alon woth the Hungarian and Bohemian aristocracy

Stimmt. I have once seen a short reportage on Grand Duke Borwin von Mecklenburg and little is left from the once enormous wealth of the House von Mecklenburg. So many splendid residences went lost: taken by the communists and/or destroyed in World War II.

Only some smaller private possessions in Southern Germany remain, if I am correct.

:ermm:

Stimmt. I have once seen a short reportage on Grand Duke Borwin von Mecklenburg and little is left from the once enormous wealth of the House von Mecklenburg. So many splendid residences went lost: taken by the communists and/or destroyed in World War II.

Only some smaller private possessions in Southern Germany remain, if I am correct.

:ermm:

They have restored some property in 2004 in Northern Germany and one part of that was one wing of the Remplin Castle.

A BB article about how they celebrate Christmas at Berleburg: Sådan holder Carina Axelsson og prins Gustav jul | BILLED-BLADET

Even though she's not and probably never will be married to Prince Gustav, she is the lady of the manor.

Here she is talking about how she has introduced American traditions into the celebrations and not least in regards to the Christmas tree (or Christmas trees AFAIR they have several at Berleburg!). It's being decorated the American way with lots of lights.

Otherwise it's a quiet and private Christmas at the schloss, eating turkey.

Being the lady of the manor in anything but name, she has also donated a Christmas calendar depicting Berleburg. The proveeds go to the local library in the town of Berleburg.

- Now, we only need a few examples of how an American Christmas tree at full throttle looks like. :)

Here is a BB article from 2010 on how Carina Axelsson decorates at Berleburg:
https://app.box.com/s/0d8lp8hq68ph5u12a0ex
https://app.box.com/s/psla5z5581r5udspmq73
https://app.box.com/s/j8vu77dhdqf7uiv95shj
https://app.box.com/s/xhqh5u9cdvm0t3iiospa

:previous:
Thanks for the article!
Ms Axelsson is treated as Prince Gustav's spouse and is well-received in European aristocratic circles. She is satisfied with her life.

Last edited:
I very much like this young lady and have been a fan of hers for many years. It is so wonderful that she found her place in life beside being with PG but has become an author in her own right. Glad to see she is doing so well. Way to go Carina! Books have the answers to just about everything! Also she is a huge dog lover for she has many dogs and they are always by her side.

Both Houses of the same dynasty have splendid properties.

Prince Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg lives at Schloss Berleburg, see picture and another picture.

Prine Bernhart zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein lives at Schloss Scharzenau, see picture (from 1999, which was before the last restoration) and another picture.

In the 1950's the family gave Schloss Wittgenstein in use for a gymnasium with boarding school. In 2002 it was sold to the family Kämmerling and is in splendid state, see picture and another picture.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs hold 13.500 hectare (100 hectare is 0.38610 square mile) of forests and lands, administered by the Wittgenstein-Berleburg'sche Rentkammer.

The Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohensteins holds enormous amounts of forests and lands as well, administered by Fürst Wittgenstein`sche Waldbesitzergesellschaft. Since 1 January 2015 a cooperation has been established with the neighbouring Waldgesellschaft der Freiherrn zu Eisenbach and the new cooperation administers 22.000 hectare of forests in North Rhineland-Westphalia. The family also holds around 1000 hectare of forests in Brandenburg and 3.500 hectare of forests in Czech Republic.

It is amazing that the German royal and princely families survived two world wars and the fall of the monarchy so well...

This was jagdschloss Schwarzenau and is another one,in Berleburg,which was used by the Dowager Princesses:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herrenhaus_Schwarzenau

Well,it depends on the will and the House rules...

Prince Robin married Swedish noblewoman Birgitta af Klercker...

Af Klercker were a 18th century noble family that later got the Baronial title in 1809.

Her ancestors include Stjernvall,von Platen,Fleming,von Liewen,Wrangel,Stenbock,Brahe families...

Through them Birgitta af Klercker is among others:

1. Descendant of King Johan III Vasa of Sweden(1537-1592).

2. Descendant of Duchess Anna Elisabeth von Braunschweig-Lüneburg,Countess Brahe af Visingborg(died in 17th century) which makes her related to all royal and great noble Houses...including Sayn-Wittgenstein.

3. Descendant of the famous Countess Ebba Brahe(1596-1674).

Based on this,I assume that if the Sayn family wanted to find the way,they could include her,as she is of noble birth with many great names as her ancestors...including Kings of Sweden,Electors of Saxony,Dukes of Braunschweig,various Princes etc.

Prince Sebastian married Julie Thoussaint(technically a commoner),whose mother is Countess Barabara Pozzo di Borgo,whose grandfather was Joseph,fourth Duke Pozzo di Borgo.

Her ancestors include Dukes of Noailles,Dukes of Gramont,Dukes of Gontaut-Biron.

Through them Julie Thoussaint is also a:

1. Descendant of Albrecht I Habsburg,Holy Roman Emperor.

2. Descendant of Ruprecht III,Holy Roman Emperor.

3. Desendant of Rudolf I Habsburg,Holy Roman Emperor.

4. Descendant of Jaen II,King of France.

etc.

I mean,still much noble blood in Princess Julia zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,nee Thoussaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read on another board and possibly this one as well, that the marriage restrictions are only applicable to Gustav. After him they are null.

I have read on this board that the House Laws can no longer be enforced.

The property will go to Bernhart after Gustav, if he does not marry and have legitimate heirs.

Is there any likelihood of Gustav and Carina and they were married in secret?

Is there any likelihood of Gustav and Carina and they were married in secret?

I don't think so,as every marriage has to be registered and this small paper would leave him out of almost everything...

I don't think he would risk as much...

Last edited:
Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #15, 2016.

Where a Thomas Thiele Majholt raise an interesting question.

What if QMII made Carina Axelsson a noble, wouldn't that solve the problem of her and Prince Gustav being able to marry.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that while QMII in theory can ennoble anyone that solution is most unlikely. Partly because it's unlikely the DRF would interfere with an ongoing judicial process in a foreign country and partly because it would hardly solve the problem anyway as the terms in the testament is about race and not nobility.

Carina reports that the "first round of edits" of her new book were done:

** Instagram post **

Last edited:
Her french is good although you can hear that it;s not her first language.

Yes, a very strong English accent, which is perfectly normal. The way she talks, you can hear she spent a lot of time in France.

Is she living in Dorset or on holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom