Prince Ernst August (V) and the Royal House of Hanover 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After Prussia annexed the Kingdom of Hanover in 1866 the incomes of the Hanover family that were derived from the former Kingdom were confiscated and used by Bismarck as a slush fund. He was said to have boasted that the Guelph Fund was used to bribe German and foreign newspapers.

Although less rich than previously, the exiled Hanovers were never hard up. They retained ownership of and incomes from their properties elsewhere, such as land in Austria and the Guelph d'Este treasure which was stored in Vienna's Imperial Museum before its removal to Gmunden. The formerly confiscated Hanoverian incomes and assets were largely restored to the Duke of Cumberland (formerly the Crown Prince of Hanover) after Bismarck's dismissal in 1890 and fully restored in 1913.

Prior to the 1890 restitution, the reigning Duke of Brunswick died in 1884 which brought to an end the senior line of the House of Guelph. Duke Wilhelm left all the family entailed estates and his own "immense" private fortune to his heir, the Duke of Cumberland.

At the time of the marriage of Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia to the Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (the son of the Duke of Cumberland), The NY Times of 18 May 1913 provided a detailed history of events and finances. The article can be viewed in PDF format here.

Thanks Warren...this definitely answers my quesitons.

Prince Ernst August of Hanover visited the jewels of the Imperial Palace Exhibition in Vienna (11/05/2010)
Pic

Last edited:
Well, her former best friend Chantal Hochuli didn't deserve to be treated like that, too :p

Yes, Chantal and Caroline were best friends.

:previous:
With the emphasis on "were".

Ernst is a creep. You get what you pay for, so to speak. He wasn't a secret when Caroline married him. But she did get a HRH, which may have meaning to her.

He also is very very wealthy. Perhaps if they divorce, he'd be right for Sarah Ferguson, then her problems would be solved.:p Sorry, just had to add that and just kidding.

I don't think Caroline needed his money.

I don't think Caroline needed his money.
I find it strange that two of the three husbands that caro has had have been seen with sordid women in the last step of the marriages.Even though Ernst is technically a mature man his actions are similar to those of Junot who did the identical to Caro.I highly doibt caro need this worry right about now when her life should have been settled.
For just a split second it did appear that this marriage was going to be OK.

Princess Caroline has the title of Hrh, and she will never want leave this title just in this moment when she will no more be the first lady in Monaco in july when her brother Albert will marry with Charlène Wittstock, but when I saw her at the mass of the national fest, she seemed very sad when Mgr Barsi archibishop of Monaco wellcomed Charlene at the Cathedral. Did she think at the happy moment When Prince Ernst A was at her side.? Prince Ernst A was a rude man before his weedding with Princess Caroline but I thought
he became better after his illness in 2005

What is this guy thinking? If royalty had a reality television series, Prinz Ernst would be its star, cameraman and director! Stripper girlfriends, alcoholism, peeing on Turkish pavillions...lord had mercy! This man receives NONE of my sympathy, but that being said, neither does Princess Caroline. I love her dearly, and I really believe that life dealt her a crappy hand, but she's failed to learn from her shortcomings and errors. How? She married him despite knowing who he was well in advance of this drama. She has the natural gift of throwing herself into worst situations! Anyhow, I wonder if Tatjana Gsell is still grifting for a royal BF now that she and Foffi detoured through Splitsville? Tatjana, the man of your dreams lives right over there in Hanover.....

I guess Caroline was really in love and wehn youa re in love you tend to blind out facts.
Now I guess she doesn't divorce for defiance reasons.
She punishes him the most not to free him for other women by divorce and she doesn't want to refuse her title and dare to give it to a potential successor. Furthermore I guess she considers another divorce as personal blemish in her CV.

He doesn't divorce, because that would be too expensive.

Princess Caroline has the title of Hrh, and she will never want leave this title just in this moment when she will no more be the first lady in Monaco in july when her brother Albert will marry with Charlène Wittstock,

Your saying that Caroline doesn't want to leave her obviously unhappy marriage because of a title?

Good question- why don't they divorce? Because of the immense assets they both brought into the marriage, wouldn't there have been a pre-nup? I can't imagine that this is about money or titles.

Obviously I don't know but I guess it has to be about the title. They are both wealthy (even if he is probably more than she is) and they were when they married so it's pretty clear that they must have a prenup. I don't think Alexandra is in an age were you can try to fool her about still being a couple she's old enough to realize when something is wrong between her parents especially for such a long time. When Caroline would be very unhappy about the whole situation she would divorce regardless of what people think. So the only reason for keep being married is the title, imho.

Amazingly, it seems a title means something to some people. All ridiculous, but still to some important. Why else would Caroline stay with this guy. He has little to recommend him. She doesn't need his money and I am sure she can find someone who she could enjoy better. The HRH is the only thing I can guess at and at that it is only a guess.

Amazingly, it seems a title means something to some people. All ridiculous, but still to some important. Why else would Caroline stay with this guy. He has little to recommend him. She doesn't need his money and I am sure she can find someone who she could enjoy better. The HRH is the only thing I can guess at and at that it is only a guess.

Perhaps it's a lesson she picked up closer to home: Princess Grace was allegedly very unhappy with Prince Rainier during long stretches of their marriage, but she stayed because she didn't want to give up her place as a royal. (According to Robert Lacey's biography.)

Although it could be the other way around: even though he's richer and is higher up on the royalty scale, and is the cheater, maybe they have an agreement not to divorce because of the profile she gives to him. (Sort of like Jackie O. and Aristotle Onassis. She gave him class even though he had the money and worldwide business connections.)

A dumb question but I wasn't sure where to put it: do Ernst and Caroline share custody of Alexandra? I've only ever seen pictures of her with Caroline in more recent months.

I have the feeling if there is a divorce, it's going to be a very costly one indeed. At the time of their marriage Caroline was already pregnant as we all know. Her father was still alive and as a Catholic I'm sure he was not thrilled at the prospect of her situation, but she was marrying a very rich man and one that could elevate her status from HSH to a coveted HRH. Were they in love? Caroline and Ernst are the only ones that know the answer. I would venture to guess that for each it was a fling, perhaps Caroline was in love, I don't think Ernst was Caroline was a step up in status from Chantal in that she was Royal and her family has tons of money. Caroline, as I said, could take a jump in status also. I don't know, but the marriage always appeared to me as one of a business merger than one for love.
I haven't seen any pictures of Alexandra with her father unless they had very private get togethers, otherwise, I would say he isn't that worried since he's more concerned about 22 year olds. If that Romanian woman is in her twenties, I'm the next Queen of England.:p

I believe in some cases, a pre-nup allows for different settlements depending on how long a couple is married (and depending on fault). I have often wondered if Caroline is staying in the marriage for this reason.

But- as pointed out earlier, none of us knows what is going on. I just can't imagine it is easy to look forward the upcoming (and very public) royal wedding of her brother while her husband is caught up in multiple (also very public) indiscretions with models and exotic dancers.

It has been suggested at other message boards that Caroline may wait until Albert's wedding is over and then divorce, while other speculation goes on the guess that the couple have agreed to lead separate lives yet remain married. We'll have to see what the future leads to.

I don't believe that a divorce automatically "strips" Caroline of the HRH....especially since Germany has abolished royalty and such titles and styles. These are all courtesy titles and styles, including Ernst's.

If she remarried (and why would she ever want to?), then perhaps she would "lose" the HRH. But I do not believe that one loses it automatically.

As the head of the household, of course, it's conceivable that Ernst could "so decree" that his former wife was no longer HRH.

What about Chantal? That could be a precedent.

Chantal Hochuli is still styled Chantal, Princess of Hanover but has lost the HRH with the divorce. I very much tend to believe that the same will happen to Caroline of Monaco if she will be divorced from Ernst August.

LOL

Ernst is not so bad. He's just very germanic. He's a ladies man and very sexy to women.
I'm amazed Chantal and Ernst ever married... they are chalk and cheese. Caroline is much more able to handle Ernst and is more sexually compatible too. lol it's funny to read all these comments about people one grew up with.
Nuts! :lol:

I should agree, EA is the King ;) ! And not just a lady's man, i know many guys that find him attractive as well. Anyways, its a pity that Carrie will go back to Serene Highness after the official divorce, she's always very elegant and royal, HRH was ideal for her, thats how i view it. Wonderful lady and human being, I like her more than Chantal for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom