The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Majesty

It is unfortunate that Prince Ernst August V spoilt Prince Christian's wedding.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Administrator

How fortunate of the Prince that his stepson was available (for whatever reason...his feelings about Ernst A Sr or because of his younger sister was there) to assist him.

It looks like the father has truly burned his bridges...wasn't Ernst Jr. at the wedding? I guess when you boycott your sons's wedding (and hey he wouldn't be the first to not to
like the person their child marries) and say not so nice things about your daughter in law...your son won't be there when you need him.

Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs...and he will get some help.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Majesty

At his age, i'd say unlikely he is going to improve or change...
Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is unfortunate that Prince Ernst August V spoilt Prince Christian's wedding.
I don't think he did. It seemed, overall, to be a magnificent occasion despite the father of the groom's crisis afterward.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Majesty

I understand Ernst august not wanting to see his eldest son. He has been cleaning up his father's mess for some time and I believe he wants to spare himself the inevitable recrimination. Some degree of amity must have existed between him and Christian since he was invited to the wedding (I'm assuming that is the reason Caroline was not present) although whether that will survive this debacle remains to be seen.

As to his stepson Pierre Casiraghi, I am sure he has encouraged his stepbrother to continue on with his honeymoon and is standing in his stead. It must be very hard for Ernst August Jnr to be caught between love and obligation and Pierre's support is all the more kind. Caroline must be very proud of all her children both natural and by marriage but in this instance, Pierre has shown compassion to his stepfather and love for his sister and stepbrothers.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Caroline did not attend the weddings of either of her Hanover step sons even though she (and obviously her children ) enjoy close relationships with them.

I imagine that Caroline's absence has to do with the feelings of her former friend Chantal, the mother of E-A Jr and Christian.

The friendship ended when Caroline embarked on an affair with Chantal's then husband Ernst Sr.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Likely a mix of respect to Chantal, and also her own relationship with her husband. If Caroline and Ernst were still married in more then name, she may have accompanied her husband (well to the wedding he did attend). But considering they are estranged and married in nothing but name, she may have felt even more out of place. Her ex wasn't even at one to begin with.

Caroline's kids have known their step siblings before they became step siblings. And have remained close even though the marriage has fallen apart. It is no surprise they continue to support each other.

It was nice Pierre was at the hospital with his stepfather. I am sure no matter any issues with his dad, it made Christian feel better knowing someone was with his dad and he could enjoy his marriage. Even Ernst Jr probably did too. And Alexandra likely could use the support of her big brother in this too.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Because there was never an announcement on the status of the marriage (still married but not seen together/living apart) it will be impossible to be seen at any event that deserves its own focus, such as family festivities. Seeing Caroline and EA together would overshadow everything else.
I can easily imagine that the relationship between Caroline and Chantal is cordial again after such a long time and how things have developed, Caroline always seemed to support the Hanover Boys in difficult circumstances.
IMO it’s a good thing that Caroline stays away, having to cope with EA and his uncontrolled behavior is alreday a big enough task, and she should especially stay away from the dispute between EA jr and sr.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

But if, as you suppose, the relationship of Caroline and Chantal is cordial then why did Caroline not attend the wedding of E-A Jr in Hanover last summer with her children? He is the Heir. It was a fairly big Royal occasion.

She knew her estranged husband would not be present because he had made it very clear he wouldn't in a series of bellicose press interviews in the lead up to the event.

It would have been a show of sympathy and support to the step son to whom she remains close imo.

No. For that reason I am not convinced that Caroline and Chantal are now cordial.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Of course it’s all speculation but for me the reason for Caroline not to attend EA jr wedding was not the possible non-relationship with Chantal but staying neutral in the conflict between father and son, her attendance could have provoked EA sr because it would have meant publicly taking sides.
Caroline’s children are a different matter.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

PC Ernst August Sr is a so sad live example of how we might have such luck in our life and destroy everything. Born in a high rank family, very rich, with a first anf then a second loving wife, 3 nice kids and 3 also nice stepkids, a large cercle of friends and possibility to do such nice thinks in your privileged life,.. And what do you only do? Drink and poison you and your family !
Don't forget that he had a brother dead by drugs or suicide, I'm not sure, the Hannover genes are autodestruction only.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
PC Ernst August Sr is a so sad live example of how we might have such luck in our life and destroy everything. Born in a high rank family, very rich, with a first anf then a second loving wife, 3 nice kids and 3 also nice stepkids, a large cercle of friends and possibility to do such nice thinks in your privileged life,.. And what do you only do? Drink and poison you and your family !
Don't forget that he had a brother dead by drugs or suicide, I'm not sure, the Hannover genes are autodestruction only.
There are quite advanced theories about addiction being partly a disease and partly a product of your environment. Having myself grown up with an alcoholic father I both pity Ernst August for letting his addiction destroy his life and I despise him for letting it destroy the life of his family.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Marlene Koenig posted an article about Ernst August's behavior at his son Christian's wedding:

Royal Musings: Oh, what a Hanover
Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh dear God....this is worse than I thought.

I read somewhere else that Princess Caroline was backing her stepson E-A Jr against her estranged husband. His children and stepchildren boycotting his planned party might have really pushed E-A Sr over the edge.

What a sad, sordid side note to what sounds like a magnificent wedding.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Initially i had thought that his antics were limited to that day he end up jn intensive care, but he basically misbehaved throughout the week (and already drank more than he should have in the week before in Kenya), before ending up in hospital...

Tragic for the family (well, and for himself, but i find it hard to sympathize, i must admit...)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've never been a fan of Ernst August and these reports just confirm my feelings...

I don't think it was a wise idea to invite him to the wedding in the first place - I know he's the groom's father and all, but clearly the family know that he will just cause trouble wherever he goes (not that this is a complaint on them, because this must be a very difficult situation for them). In these sorts of situations it's best for his children to have limited contact with him - it seems harsh, but one never knows what someone in this state could be capable of. I'm glad Caroline told her children not to go to the dinner he organised.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

I have the impression he went to Christian's wedding simply to emphasize that while his oldest son's marriage doesn't have his blessing, Christian's does.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

That would sound like a very "Ernst August" reasoning, I'm afraid.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-31-2018, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I have the impression he went to Christian's wedding simply to emphasize that while his oldest son's marriage doesn't have his blessing, Christian's does.
Very likely I think !
Old 04-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Indeed a really bad move by his lawyer. Putting the blame on someone else (or your new daughter-in-laws country) while you yourself are the one who cannot control yourself.
It would sound better if some "digestive or acclimatisation problems' were cited. "Food poisoning" is more pejorative and implicates some fault.