Prince Ernst August (V) and the Royal House of Hanover 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what was the cause of ernst being hospitalised in lima just after the wedding?

My worst fear is that he went on a bender and had too much to drink and became ill. :ermm:

Last edited:
apparently ernst august father had to be put in an induced comma in lima following having drunk too much alcohol at the wedding, royal musings reports:

Royal Musings: Prince Ernst August place in a coma after too much drinking

apparently pierre casiraghi stayed by his bedside, probably covering for son christian, who was (understandably) at his wedding party. i thought that was a kind gesture on behalf of pierre. christian left the party to go to hospital to be with his dad.

i find it all rather sad. poor christian and alessandra to have their wedding ending like this.

apparently initially they reported ernst august suffered food poisoning 'which is common in south america' as his lawyer reported. in my opinion, makes christian and alessandra look badly, as if they didn't properly take care of their guests when it was actually not true and the lawyer was trying to cover for the father's behaviour.

Indeed a really bad move by his lawyer. Putting the blame on someone else (or your new daughter-in-laws country) while you yourself are the one who cannot control yourself.

https://www.bunte.de/royals/royals-...-auf-die-intensivstation.html#h=royalsBlock_1

Bunte is usually well informed regarding Monaco and Hanover, they stick with the alcohol excess version while other media go with the food poisoning. Maybe be mix of both, anything is possible with EA. He already missed the wedding of Felipe and Letizia because he got hammered the night before, causing great embarrassment to Caroline who had to show up alone.

That was a sensible and kind thing to do of Pierre Casiraghi: making sure the groom and bride could continue their wedding while also protecting his younger sister from carrying to much responsibility. The article states that Prince Christian visited his father in the hospital and said that Pierre Casiraghi stayed overnight.

It is rather sad that none of EA's other relatives, eldest son or sibling(s) accompanied him instead of his stepson. I suppose that in his destruction he has burnt too many bridges.

Attending 4 days of parties may not be the best thing for an alcoholic to do. Fortunately this only happened after the wedding and not before.

Last edited:
How very sad. Pierre being there was a very responsible thing for him to do. He probably did it for Alexandra more than anyone else. Poor Alexandra too, this is one time we can confirm she and her father are in the same room and he ends up at the hospital.

What an appalling embarrassment Ernst August V is...

:previous: He is unfortunately very ill with a chronic, destructive and merciless disease.

I doubt if he flew to Lima purposely intending to disgrace his family and cause them pain. Causing embarrassment to loved ones is a consequence of this illness but it's not the biggest tragedy of it all.

I have compassion for E-A Sr's loved ones but also for the Prince himself in the time he may have left.

It will have a very ugly ending...I should know. I've seen it up close.:sad:

ETA: Regardless of snide remarks online and in print about Princess Caroline's offspring(Casiraghis) being spoiled and privileged, this confirms my opinion that she has raised essentially decent and well bred children.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that Prince Ernst August V spoilt Prince Christian's wedding.

Last edited:
How fortunate of the Prince that his stepson was available (for whatever reason...his feelings about Ernst A Sr or because of his younger sister was there) to assist him.

It looks like the father has truly burned his bridges...wasn't Ernst Jr. at the wedding? I guess when you boycott your sons's wedding (and hey he wouldn't be the first to not to
like the person their child marries) and say not so nice things about your daughter in law...your son won't be there when you need him.

Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs...and he will get some help.

At his age, i'd say unlikely he is going to improve or change...

It is unfortunate that Prince Ernst August V spoilt Prince Christian's wedding.

I don't think he did. It seemed, overall, to be a magnificent occasion despite the father of the groom's crisis afterward.

I understand Ernst august not wanting to see his eldest son. He has been cleaning up his father's mess for some time and I believe he wants to spare himself the inevitable recrimination. Some degree of amity must have existed between him and Christian since he was invited to the wedding (I'm assuming that is the reason Caroline was not present) although whether that will survive this debacle remains to be seen.

As to his stepson Pierre Casiraghi, I am sure he has encouraged his stepbrother to continue on with his honeymoon and is standing in his stead. It must be very hard for Ernst August Jnr to be caught between love and obligation and Pierre's support is all the more kind. Caroline must be very proud of all her children both natural and by marriage but in this instance, Pierre has shown compassion to his stepfather and love for his sister and stepbrothers.

:previous:

Princess Caroline did not attend the weddings of either of her Hanover step sons even though she (and obviously her children ) enjoy close relationships with them.

I imagine that Caroline's absence has to do with the feelings of her former friend Chantal, the mother of E-A Jr and Christian.

The friendship ended when Caroline embarked on an affair with Chantal's then husband Ernst Sr.

:previous: Likely a mix of respect to Chantal, and also her own relationship with her husband. If Caroline and Ernst were still married in more then name, she may have accompanied her husband (well to the wedding he did attend). But considering they are estranged and married in nothing but name, she may have felt even more out of place. Her ex wasn't even at one to begin with.

Caroline's kids have known their step siblings before they became step siblings. And have remained close even though the marriage has fallen apart. It is no surprise they continue to support each other.

It was nice Pierre was at the hospital with his stepfather. I am sure no matter any issues with his dad, it made Christian feel better knowing someone was with his dad and he could enjoy his marriage. Even Ernst Jr probably did too. And Alexandra likely could use the support of her big brother in this too.

Because there was never an announcement on the status of the marriage (still married but not seen together/living apart) it will be impossible to be seen at any event that deserves its own focus, such as family festivities. Seeing Caroline and EA together would overshadow everything else.
I can easily imagine that the relationship between Caroline and Chantal is cordial again after such a long time and how things have developed, Caroline always seemed to support the Hanover Boys in difficult circumstances.
IMO it’s a good thing that Caroline stays away, having to cope with EA and his uncontrolled behavior is alreday a big enough task, and she should especially stay away from the dispute between EA jr and sr.

:previous: But if, as you suppose, the relationship of Caroline and Chantal is cordial then why did Caroline not attend the wedding of E-A Jr in Hanover last summer with her children? He is the Heir. It was a fairly big Royal occasion.

She knew her estranged husband would not be present because he had made it very clear he wouldn't in a series of bellicose press interviews in the lead up to the event.

It would have been a show of sympathy and support to the step son to whom she remains close imo.

No. For that reason I am not convinced that Caroline and Chantal are now cordial.

Last edited:
Of course it’s all speculation but for me the reason for Caroline not to attend EA jr wedding was not the possible non-relationship with Chantal but staying neutral in the conflict between father and son, her attendance could have provoked EA sr because it would have meant publicly taking sides.
Caroline’s children are a different matter.

PC Ernst August Sr is a so sad live example of how we might have such luck in our life and destroy everything. Born in a high rank family, very rich, with a first anf then a second loving wife, 3 nice kids and 3 also nice stepkids, a large cercle of friends and possibility to do such nice thinks in your privileged life,.. And what do you only do? Drink and poison you and your family !
Don't forget that he had a brother dead by drugs or suicide, I'm not sure, the Hannover genes are autodestruction only.

PC Ernst August Sr is a so sad live example of how we might have such luck in our life and destroy everything. Born in a high rank family, very rich, with a first anf then a second loving wife, 3 nice kids and 3 also nice stepkids, a large cercle of friends and possibility to do such nice thinks in your privileged life,.. And what do you only do? Drink and poison you and your family !
Don't forget that he had a brother dead by drugs or suicide, I'm not sure, the Hannover genes are autodestruction only.
There are quite advanced theories about addiction being partly a disease and partly a product of your environment. Having myself grown up with an alcoholic father I both pity Ernst August for letting his addiction destroy his life and I despise him for letting it destroy the life of his family.

:previous: Oh dear God....this is worse than I thought.

I read somewhere else that Princess Caroline was backing her stepson E-A Jr against her estranged husband. His children and stepchildren boycotting his planned party might have really pushed E-A Sr over the edge.:sad:

What a sad, sordid side note to what sounds like a magnificent wedding.

Initially i had thought that his antics were limited to that day he end up jn intensive care, but he basically misbehaved throughout the week (and already drank more than he should have in the week before in Kenya), before ending up in hospital...

Tragic for the family (well, and for himself, but i find it hard to sympathize, i must admit...)

I've never been a fan of Ernst August and these reports just confirm my feelings...

I don't think it was a wise idea to invite him to the wedding in the first place - I know he's the groom's father and all, but clearly the family know that he will just cause trouble wherever he goes (not that this is a complaint on them, because this must be a very difficult situation for them). In these sorts of situations it's best for his children to have limited contact with him - it seems harsh, but one never knows what someone in this state could be capable of. I'm glad Caroline told her children not to go to the dinner he organised.

I have the impression he went to Christian's wedding simply to emphasize that while his oldest son's marriage doesn't have his blessing, Christian's does.

I have the impression he went to Christian's wedding simply to emphasize that while his oldest son's marriage doesn't have his blessing, Christian's does.
Very likely I think !

Indeed a really bad move by his lawyer. Putting the blame on someone else (or your new daughter-in-laws country) while you yourself are the one who cannot control yourself.

It would sound better if some "digestive or acclimatisation problems' were cited. "Food poisoning" is more pejorative and implicates some fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom