Prince Ernst August Jr & Prince Christian of Hanover: 2004-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that the cash raised will be placed in a trust specifically for the upkeep and maintenance of Schloss Marienberg. A trust is a vehicle the rich use to protect their assets. Clever financial planning.

Warren said:
Courtesy of the Babel translater and my own paraphrasing:

Princely controversy in the House of Hanover.

Prince Heinrich of Hanover called for a stop to the Marienburg auction of 20,000 art treasures. He accuses his brother Prince Ernst August of dissipating the family tradition. "My brother came under the influence of alcohol and into the arms of dubious art dealers." He wonders if Ernst August's goal is to sell everything. "Ernst August became very difficult for some years." He thinks EA wants to make a "radical impact" and then enjoy "a beautiful life abroad." The family has adjusted to it, "that it to GAU come must, because it did not stop whether that fights were or other stories".

I don't understand the last sentence, and Sothebys won't be too impressed at being referred to as "dubious art dealers." I guess there has been a falling out between the two brothers!

The german word "GAU" can be translated as "worst case scenario". So the last sentence means that his brother and the rest of the family were expecting the worst case scenario for some time now, because Ernst`s "bad" behaviour didn`t stop. (like his rows and other things)

I wonder if his brother thinks about Ernst`s life in Monaco when he talks about a beautiful life abroad? What do you think?

Are the brothers engaged in a lawsuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
More critics of the Hanover auction

From The Times

Battle Royal over castle's flea market for the rich

AN EXTRAORDINARY royal “jumble sale” of weaponry, oil portraits, silverware and vases owned by five kings of England was overshadowed yesterday by a feud between the pugnacious princes of the House of Hanover.

Unearthed from dusty basements and cobwebbed attics of a remote fairytale castle in northern Germany, 20,000 collectors’ items and artworks will go under the hammer in the next ten days in what is being billed as one of Europe’s most spectacular house sales.

NI_MPU('middle');Sotheby’s is running the auction at Castle Marienburg and is expecting to raise more than €13 million (£9 million) on behalf of the family of Prince Ernst August of Hanover, a cousin of the Queen. More than 6,000 potential bidders — Russian millionaires and Californian interior decorators among them — have been winding their way through the long corridors of Marienburg ticking off targeted items, from a pair of St Petersburg vases (guide price €750,000) to seven 19th-century buckets (guide price €100). “A flea market for the super-rich” is how one art critic described the sale.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Are the brothers engaged in a lawsuit?
Legally, Prince Heinrich has no say over the auction, which is being conducted on the instructions of Prince Ernst August jnr who is the owner of Schloss Marienberg.

Warren said:
Legally, Prince Heinrich has no say over the auction, which is being conducted on the instructions of Prince Ernst August jnr who is the owner of Schloss Marienberg.

Indeed, but it is possible that Heinrich might claim rights to some of the items. There may be some grey area about some of the items in the auction. Such and such was promised to so and so by the previous owner, or some other such thing.

One heir

CasiraghiTrio said:
Indeed, but it is possible that Heinrich might claim rights to some of the items. There may be some grey area about some of the items in the auction. Such and such was promised to so and so by the previous owner, or some other such thing.
Nope. German aristocracy, like the British one, does not divide the heritages (money or goods). That's how they survived (contrary to French aristocracy for example). Heinrich won't get one Euro. No wonder he is in such a rage at the idea of family goods beeing sold to strangers instead of beeing handed to him...

PS: I stated in a previous post that Ernst and Cristian were the owners. Well thanks to Warren for the correction: only Ernst is the legal owner.

Idriel said:
PS: I stated in a previous post that Ernst and Cristian were the owners. Well thanks to Warren for the correction: only Ernst is the legal owner.
For the moment, then I imagine the castle and the cash will be wrapped up in a trust and the whole package will be safe from death duties etc for the forseeable future.
Or, Marienberg and the goods and chattels are already in a trust, and EA jnr and his brother are the trustees.

hola article

source: www.hola.es

han.gif

3 OCTUBRE 2005
Los amantes de los tesoros históricos de las Casas Reales podrán contemplar a lo largo de esta semana en el castillo de Marienburg las maravillosas reliquias familiares que los Hannover han sacado a subasta. Un extenso inventario de pinturas, porcelanas, orfebrería, cristalería antigua y mobiliario, entre otros valiosos objetos, que datan de entre el siglo XVI y el siglo XIX.

Un total de 20.000 piezas únicas por las que se espera recaudar al menos 12 millones de euros, según ha anunciado la delegación alemana de la casa de subastas Sotheby’s, organizadora de la puja. El conde Christoph Graf Douglas, subastador de arte y asesor del príncipe Ernesto de Hannover, manifestó que los beneficios se ingresarán en una fundación para la conservación de las propiedades Hannover.

Armas de colección sin licencia
El catálogo de la subasta consta de tres tomos, pesa 20 kilos y sólo cuesta 60 euros, pero el Conde Graf Douglas asegura que después de la puja se convertirá en un objeto para coleccionistas y, por tanto, muy valioso en sí mismo. Un gran número de clientes de Sotheby's ya se ha hecho con los tres ejemplares del inventario de la subasta, que está previto que albergue a numerosas personalidades de la alta sociedad alemana e inglesa -al fin y al cabo, los güelfos fueron también Reyes de Inglaterra entre 1714 y 1837 (desde Jorge I hasta Jorge IV)-.

Pero la subasta de los tesoros de los Hannover es noticia asimismo porque la policía alemana se incautó 35 armas de fuego antiguas, pertenecientes a la familia del príncipe Ernesto de Hannover, esposo de la princesa Carolina de Mónaco, que iban a ser también subastadas. La fiscalía de Hannover precisó que las armas de colección carecían de la licencia pertinente -en Alemania es imprescindible incluso para este tipo de armas si funcionan todavía, aunque sean antiguas, tal y como parece que es el caso-. Por su lado, Sotheby's aseguró a través de un comunicado que tanto ella como los Hannover "no sabían que para estas piezas de museo era necesario tener una licencia de armas" y precisaron que se tratan de pistolas y fusiles de antes de 1870.

Pics of Marienburg Castle: (same source)

eapjdt.jpg

eapjd3.jpg

(caption: some of the 16th and 19th century items in the auction)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all!! i was reading the topics regarding christian and ernst jr..and i had some questions por anyone to answer..jeje.. the lady that marries christian or ernst jr will became princess of Hannover?? will she carry any royal duty.? and where will they leave in which residence? kisses;)

@pauli_170291: I don't know if the wives can take the title princess, I doubt that but it is not important: We don't have monarchy in germany anymore, so the aristocrats don't play any role in public life. So: no royal duties, no residence ... Of course some of them still have their circle, and want their children to marry other aristocrats and maybe feel a bit better than ordinary people, but that's just "theatre". But on the other hand, they still have their property, which again gives them a certain position in High Society. And still many people know the former royal families.

To sum it up: the girl that marries one of the guys can have a job, live a normal life, or enjoy a luxus - life as she needn't care about money.

I don't think that members of the family actually live in marienburg castle. EA jr. and Christian lived in london (don't know where they are right now), EA and caroline in France.
Anothet question that was asked, I don't know if anyone has answered yet:
They have this auction to be able to care for their properties, mostly castles. the turn und taxis family did the same some years ago. Such a castle need a lot of money and it is all their private property(maybe some official founds for old, beautiful buildings provide a little help, I hope you understand what I mean). I think that's differnt in countries that still have monarchies.

And: I've heard that the hannover family wants to opentheir castle for public.

pauli_170291 said:
Hi to all!! i was reading the topics regarding christian and ernst jr..and i had some questions por anyone to answer..jeje.. the lady that marries christian or ernst jr will became princess of Hannover?? will she carry any royal duty.? and where will they leave in which residence? kisses;)

Why wouldn't the wives be princesses? Their mother became a princess when she married Ernst August. Caroline presumably would have become a princess too, if she hadn't already been one (at least here she got a promotion from "Her Serene Highness" to "Her Royal Highness").

- Their wives will be princesses, just like Chantall and Caroline got the title Princess of Hannover.

- I saw an interview where Ernst Jr. said that he wants to live basically in Germany as he has finished his studies

- Yes, the Marienburg will be opened for the public.

I think that we're moving more and more away from the time when titles played a role. Specially for Christian's successors(hope that means what I mean) it would look strange to me, but that's just my point of view. I don't know how much media attention future hannovers will have, but if they have one than IMO there's also the aspect of living a anomal life that made caroline and princess Anne, both in countries with monarchy, not to give titles to their children.

But you're right I thought too much of children and maybe their children, a wife should have the title of her husband, sorry.

Maybe it is just my personal point of view. I think that a title should be kept as long as one knows where it comes from. (the hannovers probably never have this problem) I know a guy who's something like count and one of his ancestors had an important position in World War I, there are castles that had been owned by his family. but he doesn't care for that. he didn't even know about it until another friend of mine who is obsessed with history told him. That's somehow strange for me because when he says his name everyone is like "oh wow".
But then I know some other aristocrates that care for their tradition and some still live in their old "houses". So it is different from person to person.

- do you know what EA jr. and maybe also Christian studies?

and to the school question: that's quite off topic now, but the school someone mentioned is not the one my friend went to. It was simply the German school in London

I think Ernst studies something like economy or something like that. About Christian I have no clue.

Here are some pics from September 29th at a "pre-survey", don't know if that's right, at the Marienburg. From Seegerpress Part 1

ehc8xk.jpg
ehc900.jpg
ehc93q.jpg

ehc94o.jpg
ehc9ia.jpg

ehc960.jpg
ehc9b7.jpg
ehc9cj.jpg
ehc9ef.jpg
ehc9ow.jpg

iowabelle said:
I am not too sure why the boys felt the urge to have this garage sale... although it's pretty obvious that EA gave them the property to avoid inheritance tax. Perhaps EA left them strapped for cash, if he kept most of the liquid assets for himself.

Their mother is also from a wealthy family, so why the need for cash? :confused: The boys don't appear to appreciate their heritage much as these items are from their ancestors. Perhaps keeping all these items is also costly - I'm almost sure these are insured - and that these items are no longer in use so better to auction them off?

Last edited:
They look like a bunch of ne'er do wells in those photos, don't they?

monica17 said:
The boys don't appear to appreciate their heritage much as these items are from their ancestors. Perhaps keeping all these items is also costly - I'm almost sure these are insured - and that these items are no longer in use so better to auction them off?

It's not that they don't appreciate their heritage, I'm very sure they do, but I'm guessing it's for economical reasons, as you pointed out.

Also, when you have a treasure, why keep it? Isn't it better to share a bit of history with the world?

monica17 said:
Their mother is also from a wealthy family, so why the need for cash? :confused: The boys don't appear to appreciate their heritage much as these items are from their ancestors. Perhaps keeping all these items is also costly - I'm almost sure these are insured - and that these items are no longer in use so better to auction them off?
The cost of maintaining a property the size of Marienbourg (let say just the cleaning, warming, electricity, security and water bills) is of several millions $ a year. The family is nice enough to open the castle to the public, which mean more costs in security and staff. I don't see why Chantal's father has to pay for that :)confused: :confused: ) or why they should blow all their inheritance in this property. They have other properties to maintain and they must maintain their fortune for the next generations.
Beside, Hanover is a former RF, so their treasures are limitless. Whatever they sell is a fraction of what they own. So don't worry, there will be plenty of historical treasures to see when they will open Marienbourg to the public.

Peaches said:
It's not that they don't appreciate their heritage, I'm very sure they do, but I'm guessing it's for economical reasons, as you pointed out.

Also, when you have a treasure, why keep it? Isn't it better to share a bit of history with the world?

Good point. I am sure it must have been difficult to decide what to sell and what to keep.

When you no longer have a kingdom and a treasury to help with your upkeep, you have to take drastic measures sometimes...

Think about this though...had things worked out differently and Queen Victoria had been a male, and everyone down on had been born in the same sequence through the Hanovers....the Hanover line would more than likely continued to be ruling in England today.

And Ernst August would have been King and junior and his brother here would have been the heir and the spare.....:)

Article from 18/4/2008

Prince Ernst-August jr. invited 60 guests to Schloss Marienburg in Bavaria to celebrate the 850th anniversairy of the city of Munich.

The article also says that schloss Marienburg attrackts over 200.000 visitors a year and many Japanese took the opportunity to take a picture of/with the prince while he was there.

An article from Bunte in German here.

Does anybody know if Ernst is still dating Margherita Coccapani Missoni?
From Getty
Margherita Maccapani Missoni Celebrates The Fall 2008 Collection,15 Apr 2008.
Image Results

They 're not dating anymore, but still very close as they have many mutual friends. It's easy to see them together in friends parties and meetings.
But i haven't seen them kissing since their break up, so i believe they just friends now. Or pretend very well being friendly wt each other.

Does anyone know if Christian is dating anyone right now?

It´s fom april 2008 .
To celebrate an 850 anniversary of Munich (München).
A Guelph ancestor to be regarded as founder of Munich.
Location Marienburg near Hannover.

It´s my firts article and i hope the link works:

RTLregional.de - Video - Welfenfest

The link works fine hardkte - thanks for sharing it and welcome to the Forums! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom