On this Day in German Royal/Imperial History

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, December 2, 1767 - Birth of Leopold I, Prince of Lippe in Detmold, County of Lippe-Detmold

On this day, December 3, 1838 - Birth of Luise of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Baden, wife of Grand Duke Frederick I of Baden, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

On this day, December 5, 1916 - Demise of Augusta of Cambridge, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, spouse of Friedrich Wilhelm, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

On this day, December 8, 1708 - Birth of Francis Stephen, Holy Roman Emperor at the Ducal Palace of Nancy, Duchy of Lorraine

On this day, December 10, 1756 - Birth of Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in Schwerin, Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:

On this day, December 12, 1801 - Birth of King Johann of Saxony in Dresden, Electorate of Saxony

:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

On this day, December 14, 1787 - Birth of Maria Ludovika of Austria-Este, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Francis I of Austria, at the Royal Villa of Monza in Lombardy

On this day, December 15, 1907 - Demise of Carola of Vasa, Queen of Saxony, wife of King Albert of Saxony, at her villa in Strehlen, Kingdom of Saxony

On this day, December 17, 1802 - Birth of Archduke Francis Charles of Austria in Vienna, Austria. He is the father of Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria.

:merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas:

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, December 17, 1802 - Birth of Archduke Francis Charles of Austria in Vienna, Austria. He is the father of Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria.

:merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas::merryxmas:

His name was Franz Karl. And his son Franz Joseph. No need to translate all the names in english.

On this day, December 18, 1863 - Birth of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria in Graz, Austria

On this day, December 21, 1800 - Birth of Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, spouse of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, in Gotha, Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg

On this day, December 24, 1837 - Birth of Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, at the Herzog-Max-Palais in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

:advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent::advent:

On this day, December 25, 1046 - Pope Clement VI crowned Henry III as Holy Roman Emperor

On this day, December 26, 1777 - Birth of Ludwig II, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, in Darmstadt, Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt

:santa3::santa3::santa3::santa3::santa3::santa3:

On this day, December 31, 1885 - Birth of Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha at the Gut Grunholz in Thumby, Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein

On this day, January 2, 1784 - Birth of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in Coburg, Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld

On this day, January 3, 1754 - Birth of Wilhelm, Grand Duke of Oldenburg at Eutin Castle in the Principality of Holstein-Gottorp

On this day, January 7, 1114 - The Wedding of Matilda of England and Henry V, Holy Roman Emperor at Mainz Cathedral in Mainz, Archbishopric of Mainz, Holy Roman Empire

On this day, January 9, 1907 - Demise of Marie of Saxe-Altenburg, Queen Consort of King George V of Hanover, in Gmunden, Austria

On this day, January 13, 1797 - Demise of Elizabeth Christine of Brunswick-Beverin, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Friedrich II of Prussia, at the Stadtschloss in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 17, 1755 - Birth of Peter I, Grand Duke of Oldenburg in Riesenberg, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 21, 1705 -Demise of Sophia Charlotte of Hanover, Queen in Prussia, spouse of King Friedrich I of Prussia, in the Electorate of Hanover

On this day, January 24, 1712 - Birth of Friedrich II, King of Prussia in the Berlin City Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 25, 1858 - The Wedding of Prince Friedrich of Prussia ( German Emperor Friedrich III) and Victoria, Princess Royal of England
:twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts::twohearts:

On this day, January 26, 1997 - Demise of Margaret, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine

On this day, January 26, 1997 - Demise of Margaret, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine, wife of Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine

Margaret was born in Dublin in 1913 and was the daughter of Baron Geddes,
The marriage of Margaret and Louis was marred with tragedy following the Sabena Junkers Ju 52 crash at Ostend in Belgium which killed Prince Louis' mother Grand Duchess Eleonore, brother Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus, sister-in-law Princess Cecilie of Greece , nephews Prince Louis and Prince Alexander and Cecilie's newborn child.

On this day, January 27, 1859 - Birth of Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany at the Crown Prince's Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, January 30, 1953 - Demise of Ernst August III of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick at Marienburg Castle in Hanover, Germany

On this day, February 1, 1168 - The Wedding of Matilda of England, daughter of King Henry II of England, and Heinrich the Lion, Duke of Saxony and Bavaria, at Minden Cathedral in the Duchy of Saxony

On this day, February 1, 1168 - The Wedding of Matilda of England, daughter of King Henry II of England, and Heinrich the Lion, Duke of Saxony and Bavaria, at Minden Cathedral in the Duchy of Saxony

The Wedding of Henry the Lion and Matilda of England at the Mindener Dom
640px-Heinrich_der_L%C3%B6we_und_Mathilde_von_England.jpg

On this day, February 3, 1919 - Demise of Maria Theresia of Austria-Este, Queen Consort of King Ludwig III of Bavaria, at Schloss Wildenwart in Wildenwart, Germany

On this day, February 6, 1899 - Demise of Prince Alfred of Edinburgh, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

On this day, February 8, 1792 - Birth of Caroline Augusta of Bavaria, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at Mannheim, Electorate of the Palatinate

On this day, February 9, 1763 - Birth of Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Baden, in Karlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden

On this day, February 12, 1768 - Birth of Franz I, the last Holy Roman Emperor and the first Emperor of Austria in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, February 13, 1457 - Birth of Mary, Duchess of Burgundy in her own right, wife of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I, at the Castle of Coudenberg in Brussels, Duchy of Burgundy

On this day, February 15, 1761 - Birth of Luise of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine, spouse of Grand Duke Ludwig I of Hesse and by Rhine, in Darmstadt, Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt

On this day, February 16, 1679 - Birth of Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen in Ichtershausen, Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen

February 16th ,1281 : Death of Gertrude of Hohenberg
,German Queen.

Gertrude of Hohenberg was the wife of Rudolph I of Germany and died in Vienna. Her remains were however buried at Basel Minster in Switzerland beside her sons Hartmann and Charles.
In 1529 Basel Minister was sacked by Calvinists but the tomb was preserved and the cathedral became Protestant.
In 1770 her tomb was opened and her coffin and those of her 2 sons were moved to Saint Blaise Abbey in the Black Forest.
Her tomb is still at Basel in Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_of_Hohenberg

Tomb at Basel.
Category:Gertrude_of_Hohenberg

On this day, February 18, 1840 - Demise of Elisabeth Christine Ulrike of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, Crown Princess of Prussia, first spouse of the future King Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia

On this day, February 22, 1921 - Demise of Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein at Castle Primkenau in Primkenau, Germany

On this day, February 23, 1803 - Birth of Alexandrine of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, wife of Grand Duke Paul Friedrich of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, February 25, 1713 - Demise of King Frederick I of Prussia in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, February 27, 1853 - Demise of August I, Grand Duke of Oldenburg in Oldenburg, Grand Duchy of Oldenburg

On this day, March 1, 1792 - Demise of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II in Vienna, Austria

On this day, March 1, 1792 - Demise of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II in Vienna, Austria

Sadly the reign of Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor was brief and less than 2 years when he died suddenly aged just 44.

392px-Kaiser_Leopold_II_in_Feldmarschallsuniform_c1790.jpg

On this day, March 2, 1835 - Demise of Emperor Franz I of Austria in Vienna, Austria

On this day, March 3, 1778 - Birth of Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen of Hanover at the Altes Palais in Hanover, Kingdom of Hanover

On this day, March 4, 1152 - Election of Friedrich I Barbarosa as King of the Germans

On this day, March 6, 1823 - Birth of King Karl I of Wurttemberg in Stuttgart, Kingdom of Wurttemberg

On this day, March 9, 1888 - Demise of Emperor Wilhelm I of Germany at the Berlin Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, March 10, 1864 - Demise of King Maximilian II of Bavaria in Munich, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, March 13, 1741 - Birth of Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, March 22, 1797 - Birth of Wilhelm I, German Emperor and King of Prussia at the Crown Prince's Palace in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, March 23, 1947 - Demise of Luise of Austria, Crown Princess of Saxony, wife of the future King Friedrich August III of Saxony, in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, March 26, 1687 - Birth of Sophia Dorothea of Hanover, Queen of Prussia, wife of King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, in Hanover, Principality of Callenberg

On this day, April 1, 1825 - Birth of Auguste of Austria, Princess of Bavaria, wife of Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria, in Florence, Grand Duchy of Tuscany

On this day, April 5, 1674 - Birth of Elisabeth Sophie of Brandenburg, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen, spouse of Duke Ernst Ludwig I of Saxe-Meiningen, in Electorate of Brandenburg

On this day, April 7, 1816 - Demise of Maria Ludovika of Austria-Este, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at the Palazzo Canossa in Verona, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia

On this day, April 7, 1816 - Demise of Maria Ludovika of Austria-Este, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at the Palazzo Canossa in Verona, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia

The Empress was just 28 years old when she died at Verona and her remains were taken back to be buried at the Imperial Crypt in Vienna.

Maria Ludovika of Modena, Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary
469px-Maria_Ludovika%2C_Empress_of_Austria_and_Queen_of_Hungary.jpg

On this day, April 11, 1921 - Demise of Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, Empress of Germany, spouse of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, at Huis Doorn in The Netherlands

On this day, April 11, 1921 - Demise of Augusta Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg, Empress of Germany, spouse of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, at Huis Doorn in The Netherlands

The Empress died in exile not long after the death from suicide of her son Prince Joachim of Prussia.
The coffin of the Empress was permitted to be taken back to Germany for burial at the Antique Temple mausoleum in Potsdam.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Auguste_victoria_axb02.jpg

On this day, April 13, 1807 - Demise of Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, April 13, 1807 - Demise of Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Empress of Austria, wife of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria

Maria Theresa was the last Holy Roman Empress and then the 1st Empress consort of Austria as the wife of Franz I.
The Empress was also the mother of Marie Louise, Empress of the French and second wife of Napoleon.

Maria_Teresa_of_Naples_and_Sicily_after_Vig%C3%A9e_Le_Brun%2C_Mus%C3%A9e_Cond%C3%A9.jpg

On this day, April 17, 1838 - Birth of Antoinette of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Anhalt, wife of Friedrich I, Duke of Anhalt, in Bamberg, Kingdom of Bavaria

On this day, April 18, 1861 - Birth of Eduard, Duke of Anhalt in Dessau, Duchy of Anhalt

On this day, April 19, 1793 - Birth of Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary and Bohemia, in Vienna, Austria

20th of April 1544 : Birth of Renata of Lorraine ,Duchess of Bavaria

Renata was born in Nancy the daughter of François I of Lorraine and Christina of Denmark.In February 1568, Renata married the future William V, Duke of Bavaria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renata_of_Lorraine

403px-Hans_von_Aachen_-_Renata_von_Lothringen_-_Burg_Trausnitz_%28cropped%29.jpg

On this day, April 21, 1892 - Demise of Alexandrine of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, in Mecklenburg, Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

On this day, April 22, 1868 - Birth of Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria in Buda, Hungary

On this day, May 4, 1471 - Demise of Johann Leopold, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha at Callenberg Castle in Grein, Austria

On this day, May 5, 1747 - Birth of Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor in Vienna, Austria

On this day, May 6, 1882 - Birth of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany at the Marmorpalais in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, May 9, 1892 - Birth of Zita of Bourbon-Parma, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Karl I of Austria, at the Villa Pianore, Tuscany, Italy

On this day, May 13, 1717 - Birth of Maria Theresa, Archduchess of Austria at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, May 15, 1792 - Demise of Maria Luisa of Spain, Holy Roman Empress, spouse of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II, at Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria

On this day, May 21, 1864 ~ Birth of Stephanie of Belgium, Crown Princess of Austria, spouse of Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria, at the Royal Palace of Laeken in Brussels, Belgium

On this day, May 23, 1857 - Birth of Marie of Waldeck-Pyrmont, Princess of Wurttemberg, first wife of the future King Wilhelm II of Wurttemberg, in Arolsen, Principality of Waldeck and Pyrmont

On this day, May 28, 1872 - Demise of Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess of Austria, wife of Archduke Franz Karl, mother of Emperor Franz Joseph I, in Vienna, Austria

On this day, May 31, 1740 ~ Demise of King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, May 31, 1740 ~ Demise of King Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

The king was buried first at the now destroyed Garnisonkirche in Potsdam,that church was destroyed during World War II and later demolished by the Easter German authorities.
The coffin of Friedrich Wilhelm I and his son were removed and were later buried at St. Elisabeth's Church in Marburg in 1946.
In 1953 the coffins were again moved to Burg Hohenzollern until 1991 when again they were moved to the Kaiser Friedrich Mausoleum in the Church of Peace!

The Garrison Church in Potsdam is currently being rebuilt so they could be moved back to the original burial site.

Garnisonkirche Potsdam in 1827
616px-Carl_Hasenpflug_-_Garnisonkirche_Potsdam_%281827%29.jpg

On this day, June e, 1941 - Demise of Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany at Huis Doorn in Doorn, The Netherlands

On this day, June 6, 1772 - Birth of Maria Theresa of Naples and Sicily, Empress of Austria, spouse of Emperor Franz I of Austria, at the Royal Palace of Naples in the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily

On this day, June 7, 1840 - Demise of Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, June 11, 1914 - Demise of Adolf Friedrich V, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, June 12, 1878 - Demise of King George V of Hanover in Paris, France

On this day, June 15, 1888 - Demise of Friedrich III, Emperor of Germany at Neues Palais in Potsdam, Kingdom of Prussia

On this day, June 19, 1902 - Demise of King Albert of Saxony at Sibyllenort Castle in Sibyllenort, Kingdom of Saxony

On this day, June 19, 1902 - Demise of King Albert of Saxony at Sibyllenort Castle in Sibyllenort, Kingdom of Saxony
Actually Sibyllenort Castle was not in the Kindom of Saxony but in Oels which was in the Kingdom of Prussia.

On this day, June 22, 1807 - Birth of Cecilia of Sweden, Grand Duchess of Oldenburg, daughter of King Gustav IV Adolf, wife of Grand Duke August I of Oldenburg, at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden

Back
Top Bottom