Grand Ducal House of Baden (Zahringen)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IIRCat the time of the wedding of prince Bernhard to Steohanie Kaul, I read (in 'Vorsten' magazine perhaps) that if one of his younger brothers would marry 'equally', their descendants would get presendence in the succession over the children of prince Bernhard.

I am not sure if this is still the case or if things changed after more than a decade. They probably did. But this marriage won't create any problems if they didn't.

Congratulations to the couple. Let's hope we will see some pictures of the wedding. I suppose it will be celebrated at Salem.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple!

I'm very glad that there is finally another wedding in the House of Baden. Prince Bernhard and Stephanie Kaul married 14 years ago in 2001, while the two youngest brothers as well as their three cousins, the children of Prince Ludwig, are all past 30 and still unmarried.

Yes, Marengo, the article state that they are planning a private family wedding in Salem. I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

Congratulations to the couple!

I'm very glad that there is finally another wedding in the House of Baden. Prince Bernhard and Stephanie Kaul married 14 years ago in 2001, while the two youngest brothers as well as their three cousins, the children of Prince Ludwig, are all past 30 and still unmarried.

Yes, Marengo, the article state that they are planning a private family wedding in Salem. I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

Salem Castle has its own chapel. I have visited it four weeks ago. The chapel is wonderful. A place to rest, to concentrate on the important things and to get the mind free.

I hope that we'll be seeing at least some pics in front of the church. I assume Salem Castle has it's own chapel?

As Salem Castle is a former monastery there is also a Church there the Münster. But it is a catholic Church and the Family is protestant. But the former dining room of the monastery serves as Betsaal (praying room) for the protestant parish in Salem. There the Wedding of Prince Bernhard and the christenings of his three sons took place.

Last edited:
Thank you Stefan, that is very interesting. Isn't it rare that the church/Münster stayed catholic when the ruling family changed their confession? Do you know when the family became protestants?

Thank you Stefan, that is very interesting. Isn't it rare that the church/Münster stayed catholic when the ruling family changed their confession? Do you know when the family became protestants?

The are protestant for a very long time. Only when there where 2 lines the Margraves of Badebn-Durlach (from which the present line is decending) and the Margraves of Baden-Baden the Baden-Baden line was catholic.
As for Salem it was a monastery on its own and only in 1803 with the Säkularisation it came into the posession of the Grand Ducal House. And in 1805 with the mediatizition the country Baden also got a lot of new property which was catholic.

Last edited:
Well I'd buy the castle if I had the money,but I don't. I do hope they find a good use for it.

Thank you Stefan for your work. I see among the guests expect german royals and prince Hassan with his wife. Prince Hassan must have very good relations with the european royals.

Congratulations to the happy couple!

Thank you for your report and pictures, Stefan.
It is nice to see the bride wearing the Baden sunburst tiara. The same tiara was already worn by her two sisters-in-law and her mother-in-law on their weddings days. A very nice tradition, imo.

It's also interesting to see so many of the Habsburg relatives, though that is no surprise.

Stephanie, Princess of Baden and Bernhard, Prince of Baden attended the German Media Award in Baden-Baden, Germany, yesterday, May 25:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Sorry Hed. Princesse , for my wrong words , thanks bacause it was in english and more informations.

For those who understand German, an interesting documentary about Prince Max of Baden, last -and reluctant- chancellor of the German empire. With comments of his great-grandson prince Bernhard:

Last edited:
Princess Aglaë of Baden is married!

Princess Aglaë of Baden (b.3 March 1981) [youngest of three children of Prince Ludwig of Baden (b.1937) & his wife Anna Maria (Marianne), nee Princess of Auersperg-Breunner (b.1943)] married Wolf von Trotha (b.28 August 1974) [son of thilo Wolf Heinrich von Trotha (b.1940) & his wife Sophie, nee Baroness Spies von Bullesheim (b.1940)] in Amorbach recently.

The bride has two older siblings: Sophie (b. 8 July 1975) & Berthold (b.8 October 1976).

Sources: https://sites.google.com/site/myroya...al-information
Baden
http://heinbruins.nl/Meran.html
http://heinbruins.nl/Christian.html
http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2019/10/royal-wedding-updates.html
https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2019/10/princess-of-baden-great-niece-of-duke.html

Last edited:
Princess Aglaë of Baden (b.3 March 1981) [youngest of three children of Prince Ludwig of Baden (b.1937) & his wife Anna Maria (Marianne), nee Princess of Auersperg-Breunner (b.1943)] married Wolf von Trotha (b.28 August 1974) [son of thilo Wolf Heinrich von Trotha (b.1940) & his wife Sophie, nee Baroness Spies von Bullesheim (b.1940)] in Amorbach recently.

There is an Report in the printed Issue of german magazine Bunte. The couple married in an oecumenical Service at the Abbeychurch Amorbach. the bride wore the bridal gown of her mother from 1967 which has been refurbished for the wedding, an 200 years old veil from the Auerpserg-Breunner Family (her mother is a born Princess of Auersperg-Breunner) and a fleur-de-lys tiara from the Baden Family.

Among the guests: Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden, Prince Michael and Princess Christina of Baden, Queen Sofia of Spain, 2 daughters of Pricne hassan of Jorda, Fürst Andreas and Fürstin Aelxandra zu Leiningen, Hereditary Prince Ferdinand and Hereditary Princess Viktoria Luise zu Leiningen, Princess Olga zu Leiningen, Duchess anna in bavaria and husband Baron Andreas of Matlzahn.

Last edited:
:previous:

I believe Prince Ludwig of Baden and his wife live in Schloss Zwingenberg, on the Neckar river. The castle is not far away from Amorbach.

:previous:

I believe Prince Ludwig of Baden and his wife live in Schloss Zwingenberg, on the Neckar river. The castle is not far away from Amorbach.

It is about 40 km from Amorbach. According to the Article the Soiree took place at Zwingenberg.

There is an Report in the printed Issue of german magazine Bunte. The couple married in an ecumen icla Service at the Abbeychruch Amorbach. the bride wore the birdal gown of her mother from 1967 which has been refurbished for the wedding, an 200 years old veil from the Auerpserg-Breunner Family (her mother is a born Princess of Auerpserg-Breunner) and a fleur-de-lys tiara from the Baden Family.

Among the guests: Hereditary Prince Bernhard and Hereditary Princess Stephanie of Baden, Prince Michael and Princess Christina of Baden, Queen Sofia of Spain, 2 daughters of Pricne hassan of Jorda, Fürst Andreas and Fürstin Aelxandra zu Leiningen, Hereditary Prince Ferdinand and Hereditary Princess Viktoria Luise zu Leiningen, Princess Olga zu Leiningen, Duchess anna in bavaria and husband Baron Andreas of Matlzahn.
I had no idea that the Baden family had a fleur-de-lys tiara. Are the pics in the current issue, or is it an older issue?
That sounds like quite a guest list. Queen Sofia seems still to be very close to many German noble families.

I had no idea that the Baden family had a fleur-de-lys tiara. Are the pics in the current issue, or is it an older issue?
That sounds like quite a guest list. Queen Sofia seems still to be very close to many German noble families.

I also had no idea about the tiara. The Report is in the Issue from this week which came out on 18.10.

The bride's grandmother Princess Theodora of Greece and Queen Sofia's father King Paul were first cousins.

Eurohistory has more about the bridal couple and their families:

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2019/10/princess-of-baden-great-niece-of-duke.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom