Ducal House of Anhalt (Ascania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not for nothing the modernised House Law categorically rules out as successor anyone who has no bloodline to Joachim Ernst von Anhalt (the father of Eduard von Anhalt). With this trying to make things clear, out the chaos by all those "adoptions".

Not for nothing the modernised House Law categorically rules out as successor anyone who has no bloodline to Joachim Ernst von Anhalt (the father of Eduard von Anhalt). With this trying to make things clear, out the chaos by all those "adoptions".

The Problem is that according to german namelaw they adopted persons and even their diviorced wives can use the same name as the real Analt's.

So only those who have a bit more knocklwede can recognize who is a "real" Anhalt and who is not.

The Problem is that according to german namelaw they adopted persons and even their diviorced wives can use the same name as the real Analt's.

So only those who have a bit more knocklwede can recognize who is a "real" Anhalt and who is not.

Is it not possible to make a designation? Like Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Zerbst, Anhalt-Köthen etc. Maybe Prince Eduard can request a name change for him and his three daughters into Anhalt-Askanien, the four of them being the only agnatic Anhalt descendants of the Ascanians?

Then we have the real Ascanians (von Anhalt-Askanien) and the "adopted" bunch (von Anhalt).

Last edited:
Is it not possible to make a designation? Like Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Zerbst, Anhalt-Köthen etc. Maybe Prince Eduard can request a name change for him and his three daughters into Anhalt-Askanien, the four of them being the only agnatic Anhalt descendants of the Ascanians?

Then we have the real Ascanians (von Anhalt-Askanien) and the "adopted" bunch (von Anhalt).
They can call themselves what they like as long as it's in accordance with German name laws, but I'm quite certain that the position of the family would be that if someone should change their names it should be the adoptees not them.

They can call themselves what they like as long as it's in accordance with German name laws, but I'm quite certain that the position of the family would be that if someone should change their names it should be the adoptees not them.

Yes, that was what I was thinking, the adoptees should change the name, but if Mohammed does not come to the mountain, the mountain has to come to Mohammed...

Yes, that was what I was thinking, the adoptees should change the name, but if Mohammed does not come to the mountain, the mountain has to come to Mohammed...
The people who have no idea about who have fake titles and who doesn't are unlikely to know that a certain twist of the name signifies the real descendants of the old house so the change would be quite unnecessary IMO. Then again who knows if there'll be some add on the name once Prince Eduard's grandson assumes the headship of the house.

Yes, that was what I was thinking, the adoptees should change the name,

Why should the adoptes one chabnge the name. Often they let themself only adopt to get that name and became famous with it.

Why should the adoptes one chabnge the name. Often they let themself only adopt to get that name and became famous with it.

That was my point. I was not clear enough. The adoptees will never change their name. So if Prince Eduard and his daughters ever wanted to designate themselves as the only real Anhalts, they are the ones to add something to their name, how unfair that may sound.

Eduard Prinz von Anhalt-Askanien.

It says what he is: an Anhalt from Ascanian descent.

I agree. Eduard should amend their House law to highlight that they descend from the agnatic Anhalts.

Sabine and all adoptees as far as I know are nowhere to be found in royal genealogical surveys.

Makes one cry for a review of the German name laws. I am not a countess because one ancestor was female and not male... Today, I could be... And could adopt numerous people. Which I wouldn't do because my grandmother would have my head in the afterlife... But it is not right to be able to "swap" "noble" names like "peasant" ones when they still held so much meaning for the whole of the people. IMHo, of course.

The marriage between prins Eduard (b 1941) and Corinna Krönlein (b 1961)
ended in 2014. Does anyone know exactly when and where/in what city that dissolvement took place?

Princes Juliana/Juschka of Anhalt (b 1980) married Marc Bernath, who is born in 1979. Does anyone know exactly when and where/what city he was born?

Prince (Fürst) Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau (1740-1817) married secondly to Luise Schoch (1770-1813).
Exactly when and where/what city was she born and did she die?
When and where to their marriage place?

Duke Alexius of Anhalt-Bernburg (1767-1834) was firstly married to Marie Friederike of Hessen (1768-1839), which ended on August 6, 1817. Does anyone know where/in what city that dissolvement took place?

After that he married Dorothea von Sonnenberg in 1818 and, after she died, her sister Ernestine von Sonnenberg in 1819. Both women used the name "von Hoym".
Did they start using that name since their marriage of was there another occassion why they used it?

The marriage between prince Aribert of Anhalt (1864-1933) and princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg ended on December 13, 1900. Does anyone know where/in what city that dissolvement took place?

Princess Friederike of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1811-1902) was a co-regent of the Duchy of Anhalt-Bernburg from November 1855 to August 19, 1863.
Does anyone know exactly what day she started her regency?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eduard Prince of Anhalt attended the 150th Askania anniversary at Capital Club in Berlin on October 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Eduard Prince of Anhalt turned 80 last December and celebrated the birthday with family and guests in Ballenstedt, Germany, today, May 7. During the celebration the annual investiture with the Askanian House Order "Albrecht the Bear" took place:

** tt.se gallery **

Back
Top Bottom