Death & Funeral of Richard, 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg: March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Husker du hans vilde udtalelser? Afdøde Prins Richard kritiserede prinsesse Benedikte i fuld offentlighed | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

Back to the BT article I wrote about earlier.
As you know there have often been eyebrow-raisers among the interviews we've had from the Berleburgs over the years.
While Prince Richard no doubt had many good qualities he doesn't strike me as a person, who was that easy to get along with!
BT has compiled some of the things he said, which may be indicative of his and Benedikte's marriage. But then again their marriage should not be compared to a modern marriage, but rather to land-gentry of the first half of the 1900's.

Back in 1990 he said about then Bundes Kansler Helmut Kohl: "Kohl as is ass (as in donkey). He's silent about what it will all entail". (About the unification). - From a person who was married to a high ranking member of the DRF, that was of course noted.

But also his dry and somewhat harsh sense of humor is well known.

In connection with his and Benedikte's silver anniversary he said about their first meeting (in 1966): "My later wife's enthusiasm was far greater than mine. But it's after all men who ask the wifes for a dance - that's at least how it was back then (I'm actually not quite sure what he means) - and since then I couldn't get rid of her. It was incredibly troublesome".

Even though they were married for 49 years, they must have had their ups and downs. back in 2004 when Prince Richard was getting back on his feet after a lengthy cancer treatment he said: "Benedikte is not fond of illness and ill people. She's not sweet to me... Benedikte and I are like night and day. Sometimes I wonder that we've had children".

At the same time he praised Prince Gustav: "The support from my son Gustav kept me alive. He drove me around, dressed me. It's totally fatastic what my son has been to me".
As for the DRF he added: "Henrik was actually the only one who called med and showed concern for me in my misery. That surprised me a lot".

The DRF expert Jon Bloch Skipper comments: "Prince Richars and Benedikte did sit on each others lap all day long, (I.e. they weren't that much together) but it's my impression that they were genuinely fond of each other. You can to some extent compare then to the Queen and Prince Consort, who individually are also independent people.
Prince Richard was in every context a loose canon. The entire communications department have several times torn themselves in the hair over him, but that was also what gave him a certain charm. I've met him several times and he really could say some funny things". (As in amusing).

But considering the position of his wife, wasn't he aware of the implications of what he said? Presumably he know what weight his words carried?

Jon Bloch Skipper: "I think exactly that could be Prince Richard's problem. I doesn't seem like he amassed that much experience in that field.
Prince Richard was always a little bit in opposition. He did not chose Benedikte because of the life as royal, but despite of that. He was a free-thinking and acting individual with a lot of good humors, but also a good deal of sarcasm".

Prince Richard was holder of the Order of the Elephant - which will now quietly be returned.

- That Prince Richard was... interesting... to be around can be seen from some of the interviews he and other family members gave over the years. Some of which can be found here on TRF.

It is curious that Prince Richard and his children would be styled "Serene Highness" in the old German Empire, but are referred to in Denmark by the higher style of "Highness" .

as the head of the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg the late prince was entitled to the style of "Highness" in at german empire in the past and now by courtesy , as for his children they are styled as "Highnesses" in Denmark by an Order in Council. Elsewhere they are "Serene Highnesses" by courtesy.

as the head of the house of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg the late prince was entitled to the style of "Highness" in at german empire in the past and now by courtesy , as for his children they are styled as "Highnesses" in Denmark by an Order in Council. Elsewhere they are "Serene Highnesses" by courtesy.

According to the German Wikipedia, the head of the princely house (Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg) would be styled Durchlaucht ("Serene Highness") rather than Hoheit ("Highness"), but I'm not an expert on the topic.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durchlaucht

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoheit_%28Anrede%29

Last edited:
Very sad news.
Condolences to Princess Benedikte, her children and grandchildren.
Rest in peace.

According to the German Wikipedia, the head of the princely house (Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg) would be styled Durchlaucht ("Serene Highness") rather than Hoheit ("Highness"), but I'm not an expert on the topic.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durchlaucht

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoheit_%28Anrede%29

actually they were listing Prince Gustav as "Serene Highness" till his father passed away but now list him as "His Highness" after he became the 7th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg while his sister's are still styled as "Serene Highness" .

Sad news. Condolences to Princess Benedikte, his family, and friends.

The House of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg was a sovereign house within the Holy Roman Empire and was mediatised in 1806. All the members of mediatized princely houses were styled (both in Austria and Germany) as Serene Highness, with no distinction between the head and the other members; the only distinction was that the head bore the title of Fürst, while the other members had the title of Prinz(essin).
According to that rule, the late Prince Richard and his children are styled as Serene Highnesses (i.e. in the death announcement for Prince Richard, posted in the website of the Princely Family, both Richard and Gustav are styled as S.D., Seine Durchlaucht); only in Denmark and due to a specific Order in Council they are styled as Highnesses.

Very sad for HRH Princess Benedikte and her family. I suppose poor Richard became increasingly frustrated and perhaps a little bitter over the years due to the weird terms of his fathers Will. I really do hope that Prince Gustav can claim his birthright in a proper manner - legally- sooner rather than later. That is;- that the German courts overturn the relevant parts of the grandfathers Will.
Many Thanks to Muhler and others for information given on Richard and his family.

Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson will now officially be the lord and mistress of the manor, something they have de facto been for quite a few years. But they still can't marry...

They are not going to be Lord and Lady of the manor, but of the rather big Castle, which I have visited few years ago.

Prince Ricahrd and Princess Benedikte actually lived in a manor which is here seen in front of the Castle Berleburg, while Gustav lived in the Castle.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5b/dd/0e/5bdd0ed65d7cbe632358cd3d3840082b.jpg

The manor is down on the right and it is physically separated from the Castle.

I thought I had read that once his father had passed away Prince Gustav would be able to amend the family rules so he and Carina would be able to marry. Is that not the case?

The problem is that it is not family rules, but a wish from personal will of his grandfather, based on family rules that legally existed during the Empire.

Prince Gustav is not forbidden to marry, but is forbidden to inherit family fortune if he doesn't marry someone who is not Aryan noble. And that is determined by personal will.

It would be like saying in your testament, for example: "I leave most of my fortune to one of my grandsons who marries an Englishwoman first." As it it personal will, in which everybody has the right to determine terms of inheritance, it is very hard to overrule it.

So, if he wants to get married to Carinna, nobody can stop him, he will stay a Prince, his wife will become a Princess, but he will not be considered the Head of the family and will not be as rich as he is today. Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such sad and unexpected news that took me off guard. Condolences to HRH Princess Benedikte and family.

Who will be the next heir after Gustavs death since he won't have children with Carina?

Is it just the title that goes to robin? Or the money and everything else that goes with it? I know little of German titles. I know with many aristocratic titles, thohgh the title was list or past to another branch, the personal fortune remained with the family.

Anyways truly sad news. Sad that it was so sudden that Benedikte was not home with him. My condolences to his wife, children and grandchildren :flowers:

When does the funeral expect to take place?

Terribly sad news - Condolences to Bene and family.

Is it just the title that goes to robin? Or the money and everything else that goes with it?

Vast money and estates which are connected to the title of Fürst.

Gustav wouldn't lose his title of Prince, Carina would be Princess in case of marriage, but would not be considered as Fürst, Head of the family. The money and estates that go with it also, by personal will of his grandfather.

So, Gustav is not forbidden to marry by any means. It is just said that he wouldn't inherit personal wealth of his grandfather if he doesn't marry kind of girl his grandfather wanted.

If Prince Gustav were childless, the succession line would be moved to Prince Robin, Prince Richard's younger brother, and his children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Robin_of_Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

The clause was that the Heir to Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg estate has to be married to Protestant Aryan noble girl, which excludes Prince Robin and his descendants.

So, the next in line who should inherit would be Prince Bernhart zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg(adopted Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein) who lives in Berleburg and was/is married to Countess Katharina von Podewils-Dürnitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad news, my condolences to Princess Benedikte and her family.

... [snipped]
The clause was that the Heir to Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg estate has to be married to Protestant Aryan noble girl, which excludes Prince Robin and his descendants.

So, the next in line who should inherit would be Prince Bernhart zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg(adopted Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein) who lives in Berleburg and was/is married to Countess Katharina von Podewils-Dürnitz.
Thanks for the clarification!:flowers:
The clause situation is very complicated. I wonder what should happen for it to be annulled.

Vast money and estates which are connected to the title of Fürst.

Gustav wouldn't lose his title of Prince, Carina would be Princess in case of marriage, but would not be considered as Fürst, Head of the family. The money and estates that go with it also, by personal will of his grandfather.

So, Gustav is not forbidden to marry by any means. It is just said that he wouldn't inherit personal wealth of his grandfather if he doesn't marry kind of girl his grandfather wanted.

Would it really exclude Prince Robin? Although not a very prominent one, his first wife and mother of his heir, Birgitta af Klercker does come from a Swedish noble family.

Very sad for HRH Princess Benedikte and her family. I suppose poor Richard became increasingly frustrated and perhaps a little bitter over the years due to the weird terms of his fathers Will. I really do hope that Prince Gustav can claim his birthright in a proper manner - legally- sooner rather than later. That is;- that the German courts overturn the relevant parts of the grandfathers Will.
Many Thanks to Muhler and others for information given on Richard and his family.

The new Fürst is not witheld his birthright. He is the successor to his father as the new head of the princely House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. He is also not barred at all to marry Ms Carina Axelsson. This means that none of his rights are infringed at all.

A Will is an expression of the wish of the deceased owner of the properties involved. Such a Will can come with conditions. For an example: the grandchildren receive a stipendium upon graduating from university. You did not graduate? Too bad for you: no stipendium. You simply did not met the condition for receiving the stipendium.

Prince Gustav's grandfather wanted to ensure that the head of his illustrious House keeps loyal to the standards and traditions of the House, that an alliance must be befitting the prestige and the dignity of the House. Anno 2017 this condition might sound outdated but it is not against any human right. After all no one blocks Prince Gustav to marry. Yes, it can have consequences that Ms Axelsson does not meet the requirement that she must be of equal standing (of noble birth) but it is up to Prince Gustav to make his own choice in this.

Note that requirements are of all times. In most monarchies a successor can not marry without permission of the Sovereign. Until recently a successor to the British throne would loose his rights when marrying a "papist". In the Netherlands Parliament even has to vote on a Bill of Consent when a successor wants to engage in marriage (which goes with an official counsel, a reading in commission and a plenary debate even, mind you... only because A wants to marry B).

So when the dot meets the i, no any right of Prince Gustav is harmed. That is also why they have problems to fight the Will. For the same money Prince Gustav's grandfather could have donated everything to a Foundation for Veterans of the Wehrmacht deployed at the Russian East Front... For so far the very same Will has made it able to the late Prince Richard and now Prince Gustav to have a very, very privileged life in great wealth.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Wouldn't Princess Benedikte be a member of his family and not the other way around?

Would it really exclude Prince Robin? Although not a very prominent one, his first wife and mother of his heir, Birgitta af Klercker does come from a Swedish noble family.

It depends on the Will. We don't know if only the heir of Fürst Gustav Albrecht is required to marry a noble, protestant and arian lady or ar also the second heir like it was in the Prussia Case. If it is only his heir then Prince Robin and his descendantsd would not be excluded.

It depends on the Will. We don't know if only the heir of Fürst Gustav Albrecht is required to marry a noble, protestant and arian lady or ar also the second heir like it was in the Prussia Case. If it is only his heir then Prince Robin and his descendantsd would not be excluded.

Excuse me, but what is an "Aryan lady" exactly ? Was Prince Richard's father a Nazi or something like that ?

Last edited:
Excuse me, but what is an "Aryan lady" exactly ? Was Prince Richard's father a Nazi or something like that ?

Probably means from German/Austrian noble family...

The new Fürst is not witheld his birthright. He is the successor to his father as the new head of the princely House Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. He is also not barred at all to marry Ms Carina Axelsson. This means that none of his rights are infringed at all.

A Will is an expression of the wish of the deceased owner of the properties involved. Such a Will can come with conditions. For an example: the grandchildren receive a stipendium upon graduating from university. You did not graduate? Too bad for you: no stipendium. You simply did not met the condition for receiving the stipendium.

Prince Gustav's grandfather wanted to ensure that the head of his illustrious House keeps loyal to the standards and traditions of the House, that an alliance must be befitting the prestige and the dignity of the House. Anno 2017 this condition might sound outdated but it is not against any human right. After all no one blocks Prince Gustav to marry. Yes, it can have consequences that Ms Axelsson does not meet the requirement that she must be of equal standing (of noble birth) but it is up to Prince Gustav to make his own choice in this.

Note that requirements are of all times. In most monarchies a successor can not marry without permission of the Sovereign. Until recently a successor to the British throne would loose his rights when marrying a "papist". In the Netherlands Parliament even has to vote on a Bill of Consent when a successor wants to engage in marriage (which goes with an official counsel, a reading in commission and a plenary debate even, mind you... only because A wants to marry B).

So when the dot meets the i, no any right of Prince Gustav is harmed. That is also why they have problems to fight the Will. For the same money Prince Gustav's grandfather could have donated everything to a Foundation for Veterans of the Wehrmacht deployed at the Russian East Front... For so far the very same Will has made it able to the late Prince Richard and now Prince Gustav to have a very, very privileged life in great wealth.

Spot on! :)

Back
Top Bottom